Stupid Things Omnivores Say, Version 6.0 - Page 30 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 1957Likes

#871 Old 09-04-2013, 11:30 PM
Veggie Regular

i've recently been questioned on my lack of milk drinking like it's some huge thing that i don't drink multiple glasses each day
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#872 Old 09-04-2013, 11:47 PM
Veggie Regular

I stopped drinking dairy milk long before I thought about becoming veg. So, what's that, almost 10 years ago? I find the taste and smell of dairy milk quite unappealing. Almond milk is my favorite, though soy is acceptable too. There is some evidence that regularly drinking dairy milk is quite injurious to health. Dairy milk is not necessary for good health, despite what the dairy industry would like us to believe. 

Aristede:book:

"Now listen, I know you've got to think about your image, 'cause image is important to you, because of course your friends are gonna dictate your actions through the rest of your lives, and I wouldn't want you to step away from them and become an individual, that would almost be too much!"...

#873 Old 09-05-2013, 12:16 PM

Today while heating up my lunch at work... "you still doing that no meat thing?"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#874 Old 09-05-2013, 01:54 PM

Yesterday I got called weird for drinking soya milk. I swiftly reminded the person that they drink the breast milk from a cow.
Ewe Nanny and Brain Floss like this.
#875 Old 09-05-2013, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyboy85 View Post

Yesterday I got called weird for drinking soya milk. I swiftly reminded the person that they drink the breast milk from a cow.

Hahahahahahaha
#876 Old 09-05-2013, 08:11 PM
Veggie Regular

Making friends with co-workers at my new job a comment made to me being Vegan .... she said " You know if the tables were turned the animals would not spare your life, they would eat you " Really ? I said not all animals including myself are omnivores smiley.gif perhaps I would make a tasty dish I know the mosquitoes enjoyed feasting on me this summer lol
#877 Old 09-06-2013, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavender phase View Post

Making friends with co-workers at my new job a comment made to me being Vegan .... she said " You know if the tables were turned the animals would not spare your life, they would eat you " Really ? I said not all animals including myself are omnivores smiley.gif perhaps I would make a tasty dish I know the mosquitoes enjoyed feasting on me this summer lol
Yeah, well, I don’t thing the animals would be so wicked as breed us for food...
Purp, aniaraven and Opolitlo like this.

Isabelle, aka La Grenouille
My blog (in French): L’herbivore — http://lherbivore.ca
#878 Old 09-06-2013, 11:05 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

1. People should stop saying things from Simpson's episodes that are actually just meant to be making FUN of them. "That cow would eat you and your whole family, Jimmy"

2. I like to respond with "Why do you think I went veg? I completely think they'd do that, I just figure, I'd rather be on their good side....Y'know? For when it all happens....." then I start muttering about the bovine resistance movement and people tend to leave me alone :D

Purp and Brain Floss like this.
#879 Old 09-08-2013, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Lilly View Post

1. People should stop saying things from Simpson's episodes that are actually just meant to be making FUN of them. "That cow would eat you and your whole family, Jimmy"

2. I like to respond with "Why do you think I went veg? I completely think they'd do that, I just figure, I'd rather be on their good side....Y'know? For when it all happens....." then I start muttering about the bovine resistance movement and people tend to leave me alone :D

I love this! TY.

#880 Old 09-08-2013, 01:26 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I know it annoys me too.

"You know, a lion would eat you in the wild" was said to me a while back. 

I responded with: Well what's that got to do with me or what I do, because:

a) I'm not a lion I'm a human being and as such I don't do what lions do, &

b) There aren't any lions running around wild in the UK for anyone to be worried about being killed by one anyway!

Really do these people even think before they blather out this nonsense, especially as they're so often pleased with their cutting wit and brilliance.

Purp and aniaraven like this.

The sky is purple and things are right every day

#881 Old 09-08-2013, 01:54 PM

Pretty stupid comment......

I have played three 90min games of competitive football (soccer) in the last 3 days. When I have mentioned it to a few people they have been amazed I have been able to do it considering my diet!

Crazy how that is how they think. Why didn't they say 'are you able to do that because of your diet?'

Instead its a negative, perhaps they should think about what they eat and how they are incapable of doing it!
Purp likes this.
#882 Old 09-09-2013, 03:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Lilly View Post

..." then I start muttering about the bovine resistance movement and people tend to leave me alone grin.gif
I love that, “bovine resistance movement”!
Purp likes this.

#883 Old 09-09-2013, 04:03 AM

From an omnivore journalist: “What I hate the most about veg*n is the way they try to replicate animal food, like chicken, steak, etc. Can’t they just learn to cook with vegetables? When I have a vegetarian menu, I don’t want it to look/taste like meat!”
So easy to say, when you know your next meal will contain meat... You won’t ever have time to miss the taste of it!

(I know some veg*n agree with the journalist’ statement. I’m ready to accept it from a veg*n, but I find it hypocritical coming from an omni.)
Purp likes this.

#884 Old 09-09-2013, 06:25 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by La Grenouille View Post

From an omnivore journalist: “What I hate the most about veg*n is the way they try to replicate animal food, like chicken, steak, etc. Can’t they just learn to cook with vegetables? When I have a vegetarian menu, I don’t want it to look/taste like meat!”
So easy to say, when you know your next meal will contain meat... You won’t ever have time to miss the taste of it!

(I know some veg*n agree with the journalist’ statement. I’m ready to accept it from a veg*n, but I find it hypocritical coming from an omni.)

This is what I don't understand about carnists. How many times do veg*ns have to say it- It's not about the taste, or how it looks, it's that something was hurt to get it!

Aside from that, most 'animal food' doesn't look like the animal it comes from and is usually smothered in some kind of sauce or herbs. So it's not like they don't do the exact same thing! 

La Grenouille likes this.
#885 Old 09-11-2013, 02:46 AM

2 comments yesterday.

1. In the work office we were ALL very cold but mine was down to a lack of red meat.

2. I was speaking to a lad I hadn't seen in a while at football training and he asked where do I get my energy from? Like you get energy from meat and dairy!? To be fair he wasn't being an arse on purpose and really listened to what I was saying!
Purp likes this.
#886 Old 09-11-2013, 08:04 AM
Beginner

This isn't really much of a stupid thing omni's say, but it was getting pretty close and I actually had the best comeback for the situation.

Please note this was all good natured banter. A few of us were talking about the lab grown meat thing and part way through my mate yelled out about where leather came from and started it with,

Mate: "You see YOUR boots, you see MY boots, we wouldn't get them if we didn't have MEAT!"

Me: "My boots? MY boots are from the Vegetarian Shoe Shop! Eat THAT!"

There wasn't much he could say to that ^_^ (especially as the boots I was wearing were the BEST big boot boots ever!)

Purp, 60225, Brain Floss and 1 others like this.
#887 Old 09-11-2013, 02:44 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by La Grenouille View Post

Uh...we have learned to just cook with plants. That's why we have burgers, and nuggets and stuff.

And do they really taste like the raw flesh of chickens or cows? Or do they have the seasoning and cooking style that is also done with meat?

I've never know anyone to kill and skin an animal and sit done next to it with knife and fork!

Try " What I hate most about omnivores is how they try and duplicate veg'ns cooking. Can't they just rip the raw meat off the bones like a proper carnivore?"

I do hate when things are shaped to resemble cuts of meat or chicken legs and stuff.

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#888 Old 09-11-2013, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post

]
I do hate when things are shaped to resemble cuts of meat or chicken legs and stuff.
I agree with you on the legs or some cuts with bones. But a seitan skewer looking like a “real” skewer doesn’t bother me, nor does cutlets, or steak shape. To me, cutlet, steak, etc., are just that: cuts. Cuts from something that is completely different than what you have on your plate, tha doesn’t bother me (be it seitan, tofu – steak doesn’t look like a member of the bovine species, so who’s imitating who, right?). I like to cook seitan steaks. They were a hit at my last BBQ, and it helped me feel less like the odd one out.

I’ve seen seitan ribs with fake bones, or seitan bacon with two colours, to mimick the look of the animal flesh version, and I’m not attracted to it. If it can attract omnis, however, that’s good. And if it attraçts veg*ns, who cares? It’s still not the flesh of an animal.

Anyway, this isn’t the place to start up this debate. I think we can agree that eating flesh from an animal is not on our mind, even when we eat a seitan “steak”.

#889 Old 09-15-2013, 10:47 AM
Veggie Regular

A friend posted a scene from a slaughterhouse on her facebook page and her mother commented with an angry rant about how awful it is that this is going on. Seeing the chance to make a suggestion without being accused of being 'preachy' I offered for her to borrow some of my vegan cookbooks. Her reply - sorry about my outburst, I just got so angry that these men can do this and LAUGH about it.

It was the laughter that upset her, not the act of violence itself. My offer was swiftly ignored, because its cool to slaughter animals as long as we don't laugh at it :huh:

Purp likes this.

That awkward moment when your partner walks into the kitchen to find you huddled in the corner with an open container of nooch and a spoon and your mouth encrusted with little flakes...  
#890 Old 09-15-2013, 11:37 AM
Veggie Regular

A Leeds restaurant has scampi, chicken, crab, salmon, kippers, sea bass, tuna, parmesan cheese, all listed on the menu as suitable for vegetarians. The restaurant has been pointed in the direction of the Vegetarian Society UK to help them get things right, but whether they'll bother to do anything is another matter. 

#891 Old 09-15-2013, 01:46 PM

Leedsveg, Marriott hotels Xmas menu is pretty similar. I contacted them and they said it was a simple printing mistake which I don't believe.
#892 Old 09-15-2013, 03:07 PM
Lifelong vegetarian

Having lunch between carnivores, discussing my lifestyle, I told them that I have been vegetarian my whole life.

Carni: "So, you don't know better".

I should have said: "On the contrary, I do know better", but then they would say that I am arrogant.

Purp likes this.

My usual answer: I have never heard a convincing reason to eat meat.
#893 Old 09-15-2013, 03:10 PM
Lifelong vegetarian

Between carnivores I was sharing some organic vegan cookies:

Carni: "Are you trying to poison me? "

Me: "On the contrary....."

Aristede and Purp like this.

My usual answer: I have never heard a convincing reason to eat meat.
#894 Old 09-16-2013, 02:27 AM

A non-vegan (manager of a no kill stray dog kennels!!!!) yesterday apologised to me for eating meat (I wasn't even discussing it) and came out with the hideous comment of 'well someone's got to do it otherwise all the lovely cows and sheep would die out!'

I couldn't even look at him because it would have ended in an argument.
Purp likes this.
#895 Old 09-16-2013, 06:47 AM

My daughter was fed that comment by my own mother...
Purp likes this.

#896 Old 09-17-2013, 07:04 AM

I recently reposted a Facebook picture from Evolve for Animals. A close friend of mine replied with, "Don't you think you're taking this too far? You have become radical on the subject."

My response: "Why is it radical to have ethics?"

I am so tired of people telling me that what I believe in is ridiculous or stupid.
Purp likes this.
#897 Old 09-17-2013, 11:45 AM

Elviral, in my experience people call me a radical when I say something that hits close to home. It almost seems to be an automatic defence mechanism.

I had one today. Most of my coworkers have had bad colds recently, and I picked one up. I haven't been sick in over a year, yet one of my lovely coworkers decided that the reason I'm sick is because I'm a vegan.

His exact words?

'Of course you're going to get sick easily if you don't eat proper food.'

*facepam*

Purp likes this.
#898 Old 09-17-2013, 12:48 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenVegan View Post

Elviral, in my experience people call me a radical when I say something that hits close to home. It almost seems to be an automatic defence mechanism.

I had one today. Most of my coworkers have had bad colds recently, and I picked one up. I haven't been sick in over a year, yet one of my lovely coworkers decided that the reason I'm sick is because I'm a vegan.

His exact words?

'Of course you're going to get sick easily if you don't eat proper food.'

*facepam*

Little do they know that down the line, their omnivore diet will be the result of much sickness for them. It won't necessarily be acute illness, but more of cumulative effect of large amounts of animal products over the years. That's why I try to convince my family to eat less and less meat and animal products.

Purp likes this.

"Now listen, I know you've got to think about your image, 'cause image is important to you, because of course your friends are gonna dictate your actions through the rest of your lives, and I wouldn't want you to step away from them and become an individual, that would almost be too much!"...

#899 Old 09-17-2013, 01:40 PM

Yep I have had the radical experience as well. I'm really not very radical at all I just have morals which I'm not afraid to talk about and won't let society pressure me out of them. Nothing radical about it at all.
Aristede and Purp like this.
#900 Old 09-17-2013, 01:55 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyboy85 View Post

Yep I have had the radical experience as well. I'm really not very radical at all I just have morals which I'm not afraid to talk about and won't let society pressure me out of them. Nothing radical about it at all.

"Which can say more than this rich praise, that you alone are you?" - William Shakespeare

Purp likes this.

Tags
Vegan-Lifestyle , Vegetarian-Lifestyle , vegan-food

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page