Stupid Things Omnivores Say, Version 6.0 - Page 22 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 1957Likes

#631 Old 06-11-2013, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erika20 View Post

I had some chick'n tenders in my cart at the supermarket (the gardein ones- I love them) and someone asked if 'those are any good?' and then told me they were too unnatural and processed. I admit that they are not the healthiest vegetarian option, but do people seriously think that 'real' chicken tenders are pure and unprocessed? I should have offered to show her a picture of the process that goes into making chicken nuggets and chicken tenders, and asked her how natural and healthy that looked.

If I had seen analogue chicken in your cart I might have struck up a conversation with you as well. Although I do not care to eat real poultry I do not care for mock meats either. Some people may find chick'n tenders to be "yummy", but I personally find them to be unnatural and processed (and too high in sodium). I know, at least no animals are killed. To each his own. There are healthy choices other than real chicken or analogue chicken.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#632 Old 06-11-2013, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewcollins View Post

If I had seen analogue chicken in your cart I might have struck up a conversation with you as well. Although I do not care to eat real poultry I do not care for mock meats either. Some people may find chick'n tenders to be "yummy", but I personally find them to be unnatural and processed (and too high in sodium). I know, at least no animals are killed. To each his own. There are healthy choices other than real chicken or analogue chicken.

Oh, I know they're processed and unhealthy, and I admit that. My problem was that the woman thought that 'real' chicken tenders were perfectly natural. I don't love most fake meat products, and rarely eat them, but I do enjoy them every once in a while. While I try to eat healthy most of the time, I definitely eat some processed, high sodium foods every once in a while. 

#633 Old 06-11-2013, 01:21 PM

Nothing wrong with mock meats in moderation.
ewcollins likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#634 Old 06-11-2013, 02:33 PM

Oh and when they say, "what do you eat?" I roll my eyes. Plants , whole grains aka proper food

"Fantasy is escapist, and that is its glory," - J.R.R Tolkien

#635 Old 06-11-2013, 02:33 PM

I never buy mock meats/ cheeses. Too processed and EXPENSIVE. I've found being vegan is quite cheap unless you crave alternatives to meat, eggs and dairy. Omnis always say it must be so expensive to be vegan, when they're paying 30$+ for meat mad.gif
ewcollins likes this.

"Fantasy is escapist, and that is its glory," - J.R.R Tolkien

#636 Old 06-11-2013, 03:59 PM
Veggie Regular

Personally, I'm a big fan of mock meat.

They are contently getting better at imitating the real thing and it actually takes less resources in general to produce than real meat meaning that it could be sold cheaper than real meat if it is not commercialized as real meat. Hence, in my opinion, mock meat is actually the biggest threat to the meat industry and I'm quite happy to buy it. The way I see it, not only am I boycotting animal farming, I'm also financing their competition.

Furthermore, I'm not actually convinced that mock meat is unhealthy. While it's true that some forms of processing do make food less healthy, like oil hydrogenation, four refining, frying, etc, it's not true that all kinds of processing makes food less healthy. For example, cooking is a form of processing and without cooking, some plants can be poisonous, like potatoes and many beans. Another example would be salt iodination without which most Americans would be Iodine deficient. To my knowledge, the only common problem with mock meat in that aspect (assuming you are not gluten intolerant or allergic to soy) is that it often contain too much salt.

ewcollins and Opolitlo like this.
#637 Old 06-11-2013, 05:33 PM
Impeach the gangster

MOD POST- Not to spoil the fun, but this thread has gone way off-topic. It's supposed to be about what omnivores say, not about what we say. Please let's get it back to the original subject, okay?

ewcollins likes this.

"There is more wisdom in the song of a bird, than in the speech of a philosopher...." -Oahspe
"The thing is, you cannot judge a race. Any man who judges by the group is a pea-wit. You take men one at a time." -Buster Kilrain, The Killer Angels -Michael Shaara
"Anyone who doesn't believe in miracles isn't a realist." -Billy Wilder
#638 Old 06-11-2013, 06:01 PM
Veggie Regular

On facebook: "If you don't want to kill animals, why do you eat their food." 

#639 Old 06-12-2013, 06:16 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamizushi View Post

Personally, I'm a big fan of mock meat.

They are contently getting better at imitating the real thing and it actually takes less resources in general to produce than real meat meaning that it could be sold cheaper than real meat if it is not commercialized as real meat. Hence, in my opinion, mock meat is actually the biggest threat to the meat industry and I'm quite happy to buy it. The way I see it, not only am I boycotting animal farming, I'm also financing their competition.

Furthermore, I'm not actually convinced that mock meat is unhealthy. While it's true that some forms of processing do make food less healthy, like oil hydrogenation, four refining, frying, etc, it's not true that all kinds of processing makes food less healthy. For example, cooking is a form of processing and without cooking, some plants can be poisonous, like potatoes and many beans. Another example would be salt iodination without which most Americans would be Iodine deficient. To my knowledge, the only common problem with mock meat in that aspect (assuming you are not gluten intolerant or allergic to soy) is that it often contain too much salt.

Exactly! Everything you just said. I do try to stick to non-GMO though.

#640 Old 06-12-2013, 06:17 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capstan View Post

MOD POST- Not to spoil the fun, but this thread has gone way off-topic. It's supposed to be about what omnivores say, not about what we say. Please let's get it back to the original subject, okay?

I'm sorry, I didn't see your post until after I refreshed the page. It's been sitting open in the tab since yesterday and I just now got around to posting!

#641 Old 06-12-2013, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamizushi View Post

On facebook: "If you don't want to kill animals, why do you eat their food." 

This one boggles my mind. I have never heard of there being a shortage on plant based foods. Plus animals being raised for food are fed junk that is not anything close to what they should be eating. 

kamizushi likes this.
#642 Old 06-12-2013, 07:53 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by erika20 View Post

This one boggles my mind. I have never heard of there being a shortage on plant based foods. Plus animals being raised for food are fed junk that is not anything close to what they should be eating. 

Just throwing whatever they can, hoping than something with stick. That's what happens when people don't want to admit that they're wrong even when they clearly are.

erika20 likes this.
#643 Old 06-13-2013, 01:32 AM

Amen to that danak.

We are not herbivores, sure, but we can choose to be vegetarians.
#644 Old 06-13-2013, 01:34 AM

I eat fake meat once a week and very rarely more than that.

I ve discovered some soy hotdogs I really enjoy, so I am happy about that grin.gif
#645 Old 06-13-2013, 01:45 AM
Veggie Regular

in response to a friend's fb post related to god and treating animals well...
"Wait.. only animals right? Not insects.."
#646 Old 06-13-2013, 05:05 AM

I'm sure a high percentage of you have heard something similar.

A woman I work with today said I was stupid for not drinking milk for the animals sake because her uncles cows (and she states they are a specific breed) produce milk without the need to have offspring.

She is 44years old as well. I guess it was a coping mechanism with what I was telling her, she didn't want to know so made up an excuse that she wants to believe to make her feel better.
#647 Old 06-13-2013, 05:18 AM

An omni that I know is always getting "food poisoning". When I brought to their attention that I never get sick from what I eat, they said, "Of course not! You don't eat chicken, fish, mayonnaise and all the other things that people get sick from."

#648 Old 06-13-2013, 12:40 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idhan View Post

This thread on OotS isn't too bad, but it has a few things:

(On one of the character (an elf wizard) being vegetarian)

"I wouldn't like that to be true. 

I don't like the idea that Elves have to be vegetarian because they're a wiser and superior race. Or more often than not, because the author is vegetarian and his ideal race must be to (Paolini). 

I don't like the idea of any race being a "superior race" as per author backing."
I love OOTS, but I don't read the forums, just the comics.

But that conversation reminds me of the fact that Vulcans in Star Trek are veg*n, because it's only logical. grin.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidarthur View Post

Oh and when they say, "what do you eat?" I roll my eyes. Plants , whole grains aka proper food
My usual response is "everything else".

--Fromper
juggle.gif
#649 Old 06-13-2013, 04:23 PM

While visiting my grandmother, I somehow ended up the only adult in a room with my grandmother's dog, and my very spoiled three-and-a-half-year-old cousin.  My cousin walked up to the dog, who was laying quietly with a stuffed animal, and slapped the dog on the face.  She must have hit her three times before I got over to her and yanked her away.  I quietly, but very firmly, told her "We do not hit dogs.  If you can't be nice, you can't play with me.  Go back to your father."  I never yelled or anything, but for a child who has no boundaries, it was enough to set her off. She ran crying to her father (my uncle) and Grandmother, who both berated me for making my cousin cry.  According to them, I was completely wrong.  After all, she's JUST three-and-a-half! The dog wasn't hurt or anything! But my favorite was "You wouldn't have cared if you weren't a vegetarian! You care more about animals than children."

So to summarize,  1) I don't think a dog should be mistreated.   2) I don't want my cousin to get bit thinking she can randomly slap dogs' faces.  3) Somehow my stance on this is because I don't eat meat.

Vegan Dave likes this.
#650 Old 06-13-2013, 06:23 PM
Poo Pie Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyme View Post

While visiting my grandmother, I somehow ended up the only adult in a room with my grandmother's dog, and my very spoiled three-and-a-half-year-old cousin.  My cousin walked up to the dog, who was laying quietly with a stuffed animal, and slapped the dog on the face.  She must have hit her three times before I got over to her and yanked her away.  I quietly, but very firmly, told her "We do not hit dogs.  If you can't be nice, you can't play with me.  Go back to your father."  I never yelled or anything, but for a child who has no boundaries, it was enough to set her off. She ran crying to her father (my uncle) and Grandmother, who both berated me for making my cousin cry.  According to them, I was completely wrong.  After all, she's JUST three-and-a-half! The dog wasn't hurt or anything! But my favorite was "You wouldn't have cared if you weren't a vegetarian! You care more about animals than children."

So to summarize,  1) I don't think a dog should be mistreated.   2) I don't want my cousin to get bit thinking she can randomly slap dogs' faces.  3) Somehow my stance on this is because I don't eat meat.

That's so horrible! I don't see how the parents could justify such a thing, if I had done that as a child, my behind would have been hurting more than the poor dog! And my mother wasn't much for physical discipline.
#651 Old 06-14-2013, 06:58 AM

When a single dog or cat is mistreated, then even omnis are up in arms. "If someone could do that to a dog, then think of what they could do to a human."

When I mention that millions of cows, pigs and chickens are mistreated every day, then these same omnis become defensive. "Dogs and cats are family members. Pigs are food."

I find it odd that omnis who love dogs, cats and horses refuse to consider the plight of the animals that they themselves eat. 

Vegan Dave likes this.
#652 Old 06-14-2013, 07:26 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

When a single dog or cat is mistreated, then even omnis are up in arms. "If someone could do that to a dog, then think of what they could do to a human."

When I mention that millions of cows, pigs and chickens are mistreated every day, then these same omnis become defensive. "Dogs and cats are family members. Pigs are food."

I find it odd that omnis who love dogs, cats and horses refuse to consider the plight of the animals that they themselves eat. 
I know this may be an odd time to think of it, but this reminded me of the lyrics to a song by Marylin Manson:
Quote:
The death of one is a tragedy
But death of a million is just a statistic

Of course, he was talking about humans, but it seems applicable anyway.

--Fromper
juggle.gif
#653 Old 06-14-2013, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fromper View Post

I know this may be an odd time to think of it, but this reminded me of the lyrics to a song by Marylin Manson.

--Fromper
juggle.gif

The quote, "The death of one man is a tragedy, the death of millions is a statistic"  is often misattributed to Joseph Stalin - http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Joseph_Stalin#Misattributed

#654 Old 06-14-2013, 09:46 AM

Quote: "The death of one is a tragedy / But death of a million is just a statistic."

To state the obvious: When dozens of human animals die, it is a tragedy; when thousands of farmed animals die, it is dinner.

Riverrun

#655 Old 06-14-2013, 12:06 PM

I always thought that Starlin wouldn't have thought the death of one man as tragic. grin.gif

#656 Old 06-14-2013, 03:34 PM

Quote:

"Dogs and cats are family members. Pigs are food."

I do consider my cat to be part of my family. But being family isn't why I oppose the killing of humans; I do it because killing is wrong. I see no reason not to extend the same logic to all non-human animals.

Ewe Nanny likes this.
#657 Old 06-14-2013, 11:20 PM

My dumb boyfriend (who usually is really sweet, but I don't know what went into him this day) came to me this week trying to annoy me and told me "what if I go vegetarian for one day?" and so I almost responded with a smile until he finished his sentence: "and you eat meat on that same day?, you'd be able to taste the meat without any remorse, I mean it's the same, because I'd be taking your place"... I so wanted to smack him in the face, I just went back to work...

Werewolf Girl likes this.
#658 Old 06-15-2013, 08:27 PM

I once had two friends who came up to me and said, 'hey, we'll both eat vegetarian for a day if you eat meat. That way, less animals will be killed. You're morally obligated to accept this offer.'

I replied, 'let's say I'm about to kill you both. But one of you can live if you choose to kill the other person and eat him. So, who will it be?'

'Dude, that's messed up.'

'What? Less people get killed overall. You're morally obligated to accept this offer. But you don't want to, because you wouldn't be able to live with it. That's exactly what you're asking of me. I shouldn't be forced to be cruel in order to compensate for your cruelty. That's messed up.'
Ewe Nanny and Opolitlo like this.

Check out my blog,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, a reflection of anime, veganism and animal rights!
Latest post: Serial Experiments Lain and the Upper Layer of Reality
#659 Old 06-16-2013, 01:34 AM
Beginner

^ Awesome answer! I wish I could think this quickly on the spot..
#660 Old 06-16-2013, 03:46 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yingchen View Post

I once had two friends who came up to me and said, 'hey, we'll both eat vegetarian for a day if you eat meat. That way, less animals will be killed. You're morally obligated to accept this offer.'

I replied, 'let's say I'm about to kill you both. But one of you can live if you choose to kill the other person and eat him. So, who will it be?'

'Dude, that's messed up.'

'What? Less people get killed overall. You're morally obligated to accept this offer. But you don't want to, because you wouldn't be able to live with it. That's exactly what you're asking of me. I shouldn't be forced to be cruel in order to compensate for your cruelty. That's messed up.'

that is a great comeback

Tags
Vegan-Lifestyle , Vegetarian-Lifestyle , vegan-food

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page