Stupid Things Omnivores Say, Version 6.0 - Page 20 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 1957Likes

#571 Old 05-23-2013, 07:39 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf Girl View Post

My city is introducing Meatless Monday (the first ever in Canada, yay!! carrot.gif) and this article is the dumbest response to it I could have imagined:

http://www.vancouversun.com/life/Forget+Meatless+Monday+about+Caveman+Appreciation/8423264/story.html

Her bit about cheeseburgers and cavemen made me think of this documentary video about survival.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#572 Old 05-26-2013, 12:00 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

My city is introducing Meatless Monday (the first ever in Canada, yay!! carrot.gif) and this article is the dumbest response to it I could have imagined:

http://www.vancouversun.com/life/Forget+Meatless+Monday+about+Caveman+Appreciation/8423264/story.html

"...what with celebs like Paul McCartney leading the new-age charge."

Hasn't vegetarianism been around for centuries?

I really want to live in a city where veg*anism is more normal. Think Canada will let me in?

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#573 Old 05-26-2013, 06:16 AM

My mother: “No, Isabelle refuses to eat meat. It’s not that she finds it gross, or anything just that... I don’t know, she feels... guilty, I guess.” (with deprecating smile and eye roll)
Me: “Yes, that’s right, I’d feel guilty if I ate meat. So I just don’t.”
My stepfather: “You understand, then, why I don’t want to read your books?”

Actually, NO, I don‘t...

Isabelle, aka La Grenouille
My blog (in French): L’herbivore — http://lherbivore.ca
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#574 Old 05-26-2013, 10:05 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by La Grenouille View Post

My mother: “No, Isabelle refuses to eat meat. It’s not that she finds it gross, or anything just that... I don’t know, she feels... guilty, I guess.” (with deprecating smile and eye roll)

Actually, NO, I don‘t...

Wow. I applaud you for having the strength not to throttle him. (I'm sure he's a lovely guy, but wow, denial much?)

Also, nice name!

#575 Old 05-26-2013, 01:37 PM

Quote:

Actually, NO, I don‘t...

I do, kind of, if I'm understanding the context right. I certainly don't regret giving up meat, but I think, given how much I used to love it, the idea of being compelled by guilt to stop eating it would have made me rather sad. Funny how things change.

#576 Old 05-26-2013, 02:09 PM

It IS guilt that made me stop meat. Realising what animals go through, and all that. And yes, it has made me very sad, at first. At times I had a feeling I was going into depression. Really. I’m better now, but if I was to eat meat, I would feel guilty.

Not wanting to know just so he won’t feel guilty appears quite selfish to me. But the thing is, he knows.

Isabelle, aka La Grenouille
My blog (in French): L’herbivore — http://lherbivore.ca
#577 Old 05-26-2013, 04:36 PM

Quote:

It IS guilt that made me stop meat. Realising what animals go through, and all that. And yes, it has made me very sad, at first. At times I had a feeling I was going into depression. Really. I’m better now, but if I was to eat meat, I would feel guilty.

Not wanting to know just so he won’t feel guilty appears quite selfish to me. But the thing is, he knows.

Oh, it is completely selfish. I'm not defending the attitude, just saying I can see where it comes from. The thing is, he knows the facts, but that isn't always enough. He's selfishly concerned that something he comes across will cause and emotional reaction in him that will prevent him for enjoying meat.

#578 Old 05-26-2013, 05:24 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purp View Post

"...what with celebs like Paul McCartney leading the new-age charge."

Hasn't vegetarianism been around for centuries?
I really want to live in a city where veg*anism is more normal. Think Canada will let me in?

Sure, we're a welcoming bunch! Come here and we can go out for veg sushi and cupcakes. grin.gif

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#579 Old 05-26-2013, 07:15 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Sure, we're a welcoming bunch! Come here and we can go out for veg sushi and cupcakes. grin.gif

Ok. Anyone up there hiring right now?

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#580 Old 05-26-2013, 07:27 PM
I ♥ Vegan Guys ◕‿◕

This lady was shopping with her mom with the super market. She acted like she was so aware of her food and knew all the sneaky company labels.

She was pointing out icecream to her mom saying "Now this one says "No Sugar Added" but that doesn't mean sugar FREE." She kept looking for icecream that was up to her disillusioned standards.*facepalm* I couldn't help but just shake my head. Granted, I understand there is sugar free icecream, but if she had known or had been looking for that, she would have been over at that area. 

Just as well, I heard some murmurs from other people talking about products and not wanting to get them because they were too high sugar........when I look over in their cart and they don't realize that half of the things in there were worse for them..............but w/e w/e.

If people get to be nutritionists when I become vegan, I get to be their super nutritionist.

Normally, I would recommend people to the vegan products, but I didn't feel good and didn't want to converse with people that day, plus the shopping cart was a fail and was hard to move around which made me angry because the store was crowded and people kept pushing past.

"Why should man expect his prayer for mercy to be heard by What is above him when he shows no mercy to what is under him?" ~Pierre Troubetzkoy
#581 Old 05-27-2013, 12:47 AM
Veggie Regular

my omni bf recently wanted to buy me vegan chocolate because he's awesome like that. he told me he went to a store specializing in chocolate and when he asked one of the associated about milk-free chocolate he was told there's no such thing.
#582 Old 05-27-2013, 12:59 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by zirpkatze View Post

my omni bf recently wanted to buy me vegan chocolate because he's awesome like that. he told me he went to a store specializing in chocolate and when he asked one of the associated about milk-free chocolate he was told there's no such thing.

That is JUST so cute....and infuriating.

(Sweet Williams is really lovely and some Lindt chocolates are vegan friendly, I think mainly their dark chocolates). Points for your boyfriend though, what a lovely guy!

#583 Old 05-27-2013, 05:41 AM
Veggie Regular

I bought some great vegan chocolate bars from veganstore.com!
#584 Old 05-27-2013, 08:53 AM
Veggie Regular

No such thing as vegan chocolate? Are these people crazy!?! What did you say that this store is actually specialized in chocolate?

#585 Old 05-27-2013, 09:24 AM
Super Moderator

At a local street fair was a woman selling homemade rice-milk chocolate that was KILLER!

She had carmel-filled, crispies...and  I lost the tag with her online address! sick.gif

I have had non dairy milk chocolates from a NFS, but I didn't think they were as good.

But they DO have them, and I'd be very disappointed a shop specializing in chocolate wouldn't know!

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#586 Old 05-27-2013, 11:03 AM

The other night I was making some Vegan vegburgers, and was putting some of this vegan cheese I got on them. And my buddies GF was interested in trying the cheese, so she did.. and she was instantly disgusted by it. And so I kept offering her different things to try, and she kept saying "is it fake or is it real food?"

What about vegan food ISN'T real? cx lol
#587 Old 05-27-2013, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viridian View Post

"is it fake or is it real food?"

I LOVE when people say that (and by love I mean find amusing but also infuriating!). I get that all the time. I like to suppose people think I go to my fridge and pull out imaginary milk to put in my cereal. Maybe I'll even start, just to mess with them.

'IckenNoodleSoup likes this.
#588 Old 05-27-2013, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viridian View Post

The other night I was making some Vegan vegburgers, and was putting some of this vegan cheese I got on them. And my buddies GF was interested in trying the cheese, so she did.. and she was instantly disgusted by it. And so I kept offering her different things to try, and she kept saying "is it fake or is it real food?"

What about vegan food ISN'T real? cx lol

I get this one too, mostly when I eat some kind of meat substitute. Because all food with meat in it is wholesome and nutritious, especially fast food and other processed stuff rolleyes.gif.  

#589 Old 05-28-2013, 06:34 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by erika20 View Post

Because all food with meat in it is wholesome and nutritious, especially fast food and other processed stuff rolleyes.gif.  

You forgot to say natural. There is nothing more natural than fried chicken made from a chicken that has never seen the sun which is why eating meat is good an proper and vegetarianism is just a religion. wall.gif

#590 Old 05-28-2013, 11:02 AM
Veggie Regular

From an 'animal lover':

'but to be a vegetarian you have to take LOADS of supplements, right? Cus you can't really be healthy on a veg diet?'

She then proceeded to tell me that she 'doesn't really eat a lot of meat - just chicken and steak, hamburgers and hotdogs'.

#591 Old 05-28-2013, 08:05 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bohom View Post

From an 'animal lover':

'but to be a vegetarian you have to take LOADS of supplements, right? Cus you can't really be healthy on a veg diet?'

She then proceeded to tell me that she 'doesn't really eat a lot of meat - just chicken and steak, hamburgers and hotdogs'.

She her the YouTube video "Glass Walls" and the ingredient list on a package of hot dogs. That will make vegetarianism seem a lot healthier.

#592 Old 05-28-2013, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamizushi View Post

You forgot to say natural. There is nothing more natural than fried chicken made from a chicken that has never seen the sun which is why eating meat is good an proper and vegetarianism is just a religion. wall.gif

Oh yes! Totally natural! 

Even if people think it is natural to eat animals, there is nothing natural about the meat production industry and the way the animals are raised. Not that I agree that its natural to eat animals, but there is no denying that the industry has changed completely. 

#593 Old 05-29-2013, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bohom View Post

From an 'animal lover':

Lol, most of my sawheet collegues are exactly like that.

And I am still baffled by this, which happened during a course. During lunch when I was explaining why I am a vegetarian the teacher suddenly said:

"Yes, we are all vegetarians because cows eat grass"

I laughed because I thought he was joking - he wasn't furious.gif

Sidenote: and that from someone who actually prayed for every meal.....

#594 Old 05-29-2013, 05:10 AM
Super Moderator

Someone in the comments on an article I was reading just referred to slaughter as "end of life processing" for animals.

End of life processing, doesn't that sound so nice and clean and consensual. rolleyes.gif

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#595 Old 05-29-2013, 10:14 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by erika20 View Post

Oh yes! Totally natural! 

Even if people think it is natural to eat animals, there is nothing natural about the meat production industry and the way the animals are raised. Not that I agree that its natural to eat animals, but there is no denying that the industry has changed completely. 

My usual answer to that is "I don't care". I don't live my life in a "natural" way nor do I wish to or I would be naked in the middle of the savanna running away from lions. Frankly, I find it extremely hypocritical how people can enjoy all the benefits of civilization and then use an appeal to nature to justify harming others whenever it's convenient.

#596 Old 05-29-2013, 10:22 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Someone in the comments on an article I was reading just referred to slaughter as "end of life processing" for animals.

End of life processing, doesn't that sound so nice and clean and consensual. rolleyes.gif

You know when a whole slew of words are used to substitute just one that's already perfectly fit for purpose, that the user is trying to conceal the truth of something behind a wall of verbiage. Politicians love doing it.

The sky is purple and things are right every day

#597 Old 05-29-2013, 06:22 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'IckenNoodleSoup View Post

You know when a whole slew of words are used to substitute just one that's already perfectly fit for purpose, that the user is trying to conceal the truth of something behind a wall of verbiage. Politicians love doing it.

Exactly! End of life processing makes it sound like the animal gets to live to a ripe old age and then when their time has come they get taken to a room with classical music and beautiful images and then get pumped full of drugs that cause them to gently pass away like in Soylent Green.

The reality is so much more gruesome and the animals are so young when they kill them, practically still babies. I think if you're going to support those actions you need to at least be truthful about what it is that you're supporting.

#598 Old 05-31-2013, 06:59 AM

Slaughterhouse 2.0

"We offer a higly stable and professional end of life cycle processing platform"

#599 Old 05-31-2013, 12:10 PM

so yesterday on facebook i see an omni friend complaining that he had ordered lunch from an online grocer (in the uk) but he didn't really care what he got so he checked off the 'random lunch' option. he was delivered a vegetarian lunch complete with veggie sausages. he was thoroughly disgusted and says "Vegetarian sausage, really? So even veggies acknowledge that meat is an integral part of a meal and they dress up vegetables to look like meat."

i responded saying i don't pretend to eat meat, i'm not a fan of veggie sausages or hotdogs, but i do love veggie burgers.

then he says: "A meal is simply not a meal if it does not contain meat. Humans are not herbivores "

really? i said 'guess i'm not human then' and left it at that. this is an old friend of mine and it kinda hurt how close-minded he is.

#600 Old 05-31-2013, 01:29 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyndstar View Post

so yesterday on facebook i see an omni friend complaining that he had ordered lunch from an online grocer (in the uk) but he didn't really care what he got so he checked off the 'random lunch' option. he was delivered a vegetarian lunch complete with veggie sausages. he was thoroughly disgusted and says "Vegetarian sausage, really? So even veggies acknowledge that meat is an integral part of a meal and they dress up vegetables to look like meat."

i responded saying i don't pretend to eat meat, i'm not a fan of veggie sausages or hotdogs, but i do love veggie burgers.

then he says: "A meal is simply not a meal if it does not contain meat. Humans are not herbivores "

really? i said 'guess i'm not human then' and left it at that. this is an old friend of mine and it kinda hurt how close-minded he is.

We're not, we're omnivores. We can easily thrive on a meat-free diet. Studies show that we even live longer and have less heart disease, cancer, and diabetes.

Bob Green and Opolitlo like this.

Tags
Vegan-Lifestyle , Vegetarian-Lifestyle , vegan-food

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page