Stupid Things Omnivores Say, Version 6.0 - Page 2 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 1957Likes

#31 Old 11-30-2012, 05:31 PM
I ♥ Vegan Guys ◕‿◕

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fromper View Post

Sad, yes. But for someone who gets upset about being attacked constantly, it's best to just stay under the radar and not have to deal with it.
--Fromper
juggle.gif

I'm just a very sensitive person. But I would NEVER want to stay under the radar about this. The animals deserve better than that. Even if my voice shakes, and it hurts, I will be their voice.

"Why should man expect his prayer for mercy to be heard by What is above him when he shows no mercy to what is under him?" ~Pierre Troubetzkoy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 Old 11-30-2012, 05:34 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4everaspirit View Post

I'm just a very sensitive person. But I would NEVER want to stay under the radar about this. The animals deserve better than that. Even if my voice shakes, and it hurts, I will be their voice.

Very well said, 4everaspirit.

"It is far better to be happy than to have your bodies act as graveyards for animals. Accordingly, the apostle Matthew partook of seeds, nuts and vegetables, without flesh"- Clement of Alexandria
#33 Old 11-30-2012, 09:36 PM

Quote:

I totally understand you. That's how I see it as well.  It doesn't seem to click with this guy though.  He responded back to my note apologizing, telling me he was just joking, that he always is, and that he even agrees with veganism (yet he's too much of a lazy a$$ to go vegan) but he SHOULD HAVE KNOWN I don't take animal rights jokes lightly.  Talk about pouring salt into someone else's wound....disgusting. Why would you joke about anyone's suffering or oppression? I responded back to him saying that he even if he has no f*cking idea what it's like being oppressed, the least he can do is not be a d*ck and show some empathy for others' suffering.

Until he gives me a better "apology" than what he gave me, I won't be talking to him anymore.

This person is not your friend. He's not, as you write, a "nice guy," despite his flaws. Nice guys don't belittle others--joking or not--to the point of tears or such intense frustration, that they must leave the "nice guys" presence. He's an abusive, self-centered, immature idiot who enjoys controlling others because he is insecure about his inability to control the world around him. He does not deserve your explanations or your friendship, even if he returns to you, apologizing through genuine tears.

In fact, he is the worst kind of guy. It doesn't matter if he sometimes does nice things or sometimes makes you laugh. These are just tactics he uses to keep you around and keep you subjecting yourself to his abuse. If you want him to learn from his actions, cut him out of your life. You will make him better for it, unfortunately not for you, but for others.

Do not subject yourself to him anymore, please.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#34 Old 11-30-2012, 10:01 PM
I ♥ Vegan Guys ◕‿◕

Quote:
Originally Posted by microbrien View Post

This person is not your friend. He not, as you write, a "nice guy," despite his flaws. Nice guys don't belittle others--joking or not--to the point of tears or such intense frustration, that they must leave the "nice guys" presence. He's an abusive, self-centered, immature idiot who enjoys controlling others because he is insecure about his inability to control the world around him. He does not deserve your explanations or your friendship, even if he returns to you, apologizing through genuine tears.

In fact, he is the worst kind of guy. It doesn't matter if he sometimes does nice things or sometimes makes you laugh. These are just tactics he uses to keep you around and keep you subjecting yourself to his abuse. If you want him to learn from his actions, cut him out of your life. You will make him better for it, unfortunately not for you, but for others.

Do not subject yourself to him anymore, please.

Aww, you are so sweet microbrien. ^_^  But really, I don't think it's as bad as I made it seem. I'm calming down some now, so I apologize if I overplayed his nature into something not good.

I understand what you are saying, but I have been making it clear to him through notes that believing in veganism, yet making jokes about the animals suffering and exploitation is extremely detrimental to the animals. I honestly think he makes these jokes because he's is slightly insecure of his own ways. He has told me that he thinks veganism is the right thing to do but he doesn't have the willpower to do it. It's would assume it's a typical defensive strategy for some to try and make jokes about a lifestyle that they wish they  could adopt as they are jealous, I guess? =/ (Also, when he says this crap in public, I don't doubt people pick up on it and it reaffirms their speiciesistic notions that have been fed to them since their childhood.) I at least want to make that clear to him and I tried to with the message I gave him....if it becomes clear, I may consider speaking to him again, but he better not ever make such a asinine jokes again. I do believe in giving people chances to fully learn from their mistakes.

I honestly don't think he's so much "abusive" as just insecure deep down. He really is a nice guy, honestly...and I understand why you may not think as such, but I can't possible explain in detail the type of person he really is as I don't want this to get to long. I'm trying to keep this rather short. But he just says some things out of line sometimes and doesn't understand the impact of his words. I feel for people who are insecure or feel powerless to the world around, as I can understand their frustrations as some of them are my own. I try to be a little bit more understanding towards people, and hopefully I can help lift them up, but also set them straight, but I do understand what you are trying to say. I'd just prefer to be a bit more supportive of people and help them through their struggles and frustrations if they have fully come to realize their mistakes they made and wish to grow from them.

I'm still very annoyed at him, but I'm willing to give him a chance to come to terms with everything I have mentioned. If he won't...then that's that.

"Why should man expect his prayer for mercy to be heard by What is above him when he shows no mercy to what is under him?" ~Pierre Troubetzkoy
#35 Old 11-30-2012, 10:35 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Aww, you are so sweet microbrien. ^_^  But really, I don't think it's as bad as I made it seem. I'm calming down some now, so I apologize if I overplayed his nature into something not good.

I understand what you are saying, but I have been making it clear to him through notes that believing in veganism, yet making jokes about the animals suffering and exploitation is extremely detrimental to the animals. I honestly think he makes these jokes because he's is slightly insecure of his own ways. He has told me that he thinks veganism is the right thing to do but he doesn't have the willpower to do it. It's would assume it's a typical defensive strategy for some to try and make jokes about a lifestyle that they wish they  could adopt as they are jealous, I guess*? =/ (Also, when he says this crap in public, I don't doubt people pick up on it and it reaffirms their speiciesistic notions that have been fed to them since their childhood.) I at least want to make that clear to him and I tried to with the message I gave him....if it becomes clear, I may consider speaking to him again, but he better not ever make such a asinine jokes again. I do believe in giving people chances to fully learn from their mistakes.

I honestly don't think he's so much "abusive" as just insecure deep down**. He really is a nice guy, honestly...and I understand why you may not think as such, but I can't possible explain in detail the type of person he really is as I don't want this to get to long. I'm trying to keep this rather short. But he just says some things out of line sometimes and doesn't understand the impact of his words. I feel for people who are insecure or feel powerless to the world around, as I can understand their frustrations as some of them are my own. I try to be a little bit more understanding towards people, and hopefully I can help lift them up, but also set them straight, but I do understand what you are trying to say. I'd just prefer to be a bit more supportive of people and help them through their struggles and frustrations if they have fully come to realize their mistakes they made and wish to grow from them.

I'm still very annoyed at him, but I'm willing to give him a chance to come to terms with everything I have mentioned. If he won't...then that's that.

I've been reading about your friend, and marked and highlighted a couple of passages that caught my eye. The first one is probably true (remember, we don't know this person, you do, and we are getting your perspective on what happened. If he "wishes he could be vegan, but doesn't have the willpower, tell him you'll support him in a vegan lifestyle. Invite him to this or any other veggie message boards for guidance and help. Share cookbooks and recipes with him. Or, better yet, if you can, make a complete veg*an meal and invite him over. Don't tell him it's vegan until he says it's delicious.

The part about insecurity is probably true--when someone says or brings up an uncomfortable topic, such as veg*anism, there's bound to be jokes and snide remarks--I wasn't too sure about veganism when my nieces half siblings moved here, but I've been trod on by the human race too much to do that to someone else. Hopefully, he'll see what he's said and done to hurt you, and try to apologize. I hope it all works out for the best.

SiberianTigress likes this.

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#36 Old 11-30-2012, 10:41 PM

Quote:

I understand what you are saying, but I have been making it clear to him through notes that believing in veganism, yet making jokes about the animals suffering and exploitation is extremely detrimental to the animals. I honestly think he makes these jokes because he's is slightly insecure of his own ways. He has told me that he thinks veganism is the right thing to do but he doesn't have the willpower to do it. It's would assume it's a typical defensive strategy for some to try and make jokes about a lifestyle that they wish they  could adopt as they are jealous, I guess? =/ (Also, when he says this crap in public, I don't doubt people pick up on it and it reaffirms their speiciesistic notions that have been fed to them since their childhood.) I at least want to make that clear to him and I tried to with the message I gave him....if it becomes clear, I may consider speaking to him again, but he better not ever make such a asinine jokes again. I do believe in giving people chances to fully learn from their mistakes.

I honestly don't think he's so much "abusive" as just insecure deep down. He really is a nice guy, honestly...and I understand why you may not think as such, but I can't possible explain in detail the type of person he really is as I don't want this to get to long. I'm trying to keep this rather short. But he just says some things out of line sometimes and doesn't understand the impact of his words. I feel for people who are insecure or feel powerless to the world around, as I can understand their frustrations as some of them are my own. I try to be a little bit more understanding towards people, and hopefully I can help lift them up, but also set them straight, but I do understand what you are trying to say. I'd just prefer to be a bit more supportive of people and help them through their struggles and frustrations if they have fully come to realize their mistakes they made and wish to grow from them.

You're obviously mature and intelligent enough to decide who to spend your time with, but please really think about what I wrote. Every human being on this Earth is insecure--yes, some more than others--but we still choose our actions. And he has apparently chosen to repeatedly mistreat you.

I'm all for multiple chances too, but not at the expense of my own happiness and well-being. It is not your responsibility to fix every other person. I'm not advocating heartless selfishness, but consider how much of your own time, energy, and needs you are sacrificing to meet his. Maybe more importantly, ask yourself if you are potentially neglecting other, healthier friendships to maintain that one.

Good luck. I really hope he never treats you like that again.

#37 Old 11-30-2012, 10:45 PM
I ♥ Vegan Guys ◕‿◕

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purp View Post

I've been reading about your friend, and marked and highlighted a couple of passages that caught my eye. The first one is probably true (remember, we don't know this person, you do, and we are getting your perspective on what happened. If he "wishes he could be vegan, but doesn't have the willpower, tell him you'll support him in a vegan lifestyle. Invite him to this or any other veggie message boards for guidance and help. Share cookbooks and recipes with him. Or, better yet, if you can, make a complete veg*an meal and invite him over. Don't tell him it's vegan until he says it's delicious.

The part about insecurity is probably true--when someone says or brings up an uncomfortable topic, such as veg*anism, there's bound to be jokes and snide remarks--I wasn't too sure about veganism when my nieces half siblings moved here, but I've been trod on by the human race too much to do that to someone else. Hopefully, he'll see what he's said and done to hurt you, and try to apologize. I hope it all works out for the best.

Lol, getting more into him, he actually has an activist vegan family member whom he is around every so often so he knows a whole lot about it. If they haven't gotten him empowered to try being vegan, than I doubt I could but I will definitely let him know that I'd support him.

Thank you very much for your kind words ;) You guys make me feel tons better xxx

#38 Old 11-30-2012, 10:50 PM
I ♥ Vegan Guys ◕‿◕

Quote:
Originally Posted by microbrien View Post

You're obviously mature and intelligent enough to decide who to spend your time with, but please really think about what I wrote. Every human being on this Earth is insecure--yes, some more than others--but we still choose our actions. And he has apparently chosen to repeatedly mistreat you.

I'm all for multiple chances too, but not at the expense of my own happiness and well-being. It is not your responsibility to fix every other person. I'm not advocating heartless selfishness, but consider how much of your own time, energy, and needs you are sacrificing to meet his. Maybe more importantly, ask yourself if you are potentially neglecting other, healthier friendships to maintain that one.

Good luck. I really hope he never treats you like that again.

Thanks very much, microbrien :)

I am known to give multiple chances, but hopefully it will ease you to know that I did cut one person out of my life for lying to me constantly as he just wouldn't quit even though I gave him 5 chances to stop the crap. So I can draw a line where enough is enough.=) I know it's not my responsibility to fix everyone's issues, but I feel like it's a part of my nature to want to help others. I know I don't have to, and it may seem crazy, but I want to because I want others to realize the beauty and full potential of life.  I want to help others who may have not have as much support as I have had,  who may have not had all the resources available to them to help fix their struggles, as I know I have been blessed to come from a well off family and basically have had everything I needed handed to me.

Thank you very much, again ^_^ You guys are wonderful. ^o^

#39 Old 12-01-2012, 12:30 AM
Beginner

This conversation happened in the car at work today:

Me: what's in your satay recipe?
Them: *rattles off recipe*
Me: that sounds easy, and I could eat that with tofu
Them: you can't eat peanut butter!
Me: why not? There's no animal products in it
Them: yes, butter!
Me: ah, no, it's just finely ground peanuts made into a paste
Them: no way, it's butter & peanuts
Me: *face palm*

Seriously, how can people not know what's in their food???!!! It never ceases to amaze me.
#40 Old 12-01-2012, 03:42 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

4ever, I don't get the feeling that this guy is totally bad news. It sounds more to me as if he is trying to get a reaction out of you, like when a little boy walks on the top of the fence to get the little girl's attention. He thinks of you as that cute AR girl, and probably thinks his own teasing is absolutely hilarious. If you try not to react emotionally, it will be boring for him and he will start teasing you about your ears that stick out or something. If he says dickish things again, pamphlet him! smiley.gif
Blobbenstein likes this.
#41 Old 12-01-2012, 09:58 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaisieF View Post

Seriously, how can people not know what's in their food???!!! It never ceases to amaze me.

laugh.gif

"It is far better to be happy than to have your bodies act as graveyards for animals. Accordingly, the apostle Matthew partook of seeds, nuts and vegetables, without flesh"- Clement of Alexandria
#42 Old 12-01-2012, 12:50 PM
I ♥ Vegan Guys ◕‿◕

Quote:

There's an ingredient list on the back of all peanut butters. I have never seen butter xD

#43 Old 12-01-2012, 01:17 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:

I would have busted up laughing.

#44 Old 12-01-2012, 03:56 PM

I was reading an article my mom gave me that was anti-veggie, and it said, "As long as you aren't vegan, you can get protein from fish." That's when I knew it was obviously a not very accurate article. Even though some people do claim to be vegetarian and eat fish, I was just like really? VEGETARIANS DON'T EAT FLESH
#45 Old 12-01-2012, 04:00 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I agree with this. It's pretty scary what people don't want to acknowledge they eat.

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#46 Old 12-01-2012, 11:33 PM
I ♥ Vegan Guys ◕‿◕

"The animals don't care if we save them."

Wow, pretty made up and petty excuse to keep supporting a violent and exploitative system because you are too lazy and too much of a coward to live up to what your actions contribute to. I basically told this person to go to a farm sanctuary, look one of those rescued animals in the eyes, and tell me they aren't at peace, grateful, and happy to be with humans who aren't hurting them anymore. I'd damn well bet they CARED that they got saved

#47 Old 12-02-2012, 09:23 PM

Me: *comments on how nasty the fish my parents are eating smells*

Dad: Its very good for you, you know.

Me: Its not good for the fish.

Mum: Well your health is what matters, not the fish.

Me: *facepalm*

I don't like when people tell me my health is so important that it requires the killing of thousands of fish over my lifetime. Particularly as I can get the health benefits from plant sources.

#48 Old 12-02-2012, 10:00 PM

#49 Old 12-03-2012, 05:44 PM
I ♥ Vegan Guys ◕‿◕

Review on a "HUMANE" mousetrap on amazon. (Warning, graphic story below)

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

5 Star Got the little *******

"The title says it all,or nearly so.. I had already educated the mouse about peanut butter in a failed snap trap attempt and the tip trap sat for a couple days untouched. I took the cap/tray off,removed the peanut butter and replaced with braunschweiger,worked like a charm.

The adventure began when I dumped the little **** into the toilet and tried to flush it. When the swirling water was about to suck it down it somehow shot right up the bowl and disappeared under the rim! LOL! What a will to live it had! I did get it chased back down into the water but had to use the edge of the plunger to hold it against the bowl and under water til it drowned before I could put paid to it and successfully flush it away."

Yep...that just about ruined my day....ruined my day.

#50 Old 12-03-2012, 06:14 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Review on a "HUMANE" mousetrap on amazon.

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

5 Star Got the little *******

"The title says it all,or nearly so.. I had already educated the mouse about peanut butter in a failed snap trap attempt and the tip trap sat for a couple days untouched. I took the cap/tray off,removed the peanut butter and replaced with braunschweiger,worked like a charm.

The adventure began when I dumped the little **** into the toilet and tried to flush it. When the swirling water was about to suck it down it somehow shot right up the bowl and disappeared under the rim! LOL! What a will to live it had! I did get it chased back down into the water but had to use the edge of the plunger to hold it against the bowl and under water til it drowned before I could put paid to it and successfully flush it away."

Yep...that just about ruined my day....ruined my day....

i think that belonged in the animal abuse thread. thats terrible

#51 Old 12-03-2012, 06:34 PM
I ♥ Vegan Guys ◕‿◕

Quote:
Originally Posted by krispex22 View Post

i think that belonged in the animal abuse thread. thats terrible

I don't remember having an animal abuse thread. Mods can move it to whereever it is if they want. Nonetheless...it's something a stupid omni said and did. * sigh* :( with a HUMANE mousetrap....geez

I think the most disturbing, aside from the inherent animal cruelty and violent action, is that they realized that the poor dear had a will to live.......... all I can say is.... people who abuse animals rarely stop there.

#52 Old 12-03-2012, 06:53 PM
Veggie Regular

reading that post just ruined mine
#53 Old 12-03-2012, 07:24 PM
I ♥ Vegan Guys ◕‿◕

Quote:
Originally Posted by zirpkatze View Post

reading that post just ruined mine

Yeah...it's incredibly horrible...but it's important that we keep in mind the people we are up against so we better get an idea of who we are trying to sway to a kinder lifestyle...though when they go that far, it would take a miracle of their own circumstances to see the light.

I dunno but reading these kind of stories reinvigorates my passion to speak up more and louder too. Sometimes it's easy to forget what animals face in our society if we just go about living our lives like the rest of society. This is proof that we can't turn away from their need for help as things aren't just going to correct themselves.

I didn't want to ruin anyone's day...just wanted to share just for awareness as I feel that rodents are probably the worst discriminated against animals next to snakes. If it causes too much upset I or a mod can remove it. And people wonder why I get pissed at them when they joke about animals. They have NO FReAKIN idea.

#54 Old 12-03-2012, 08:14 PM

Four reasons people exploit Animals and use their products:

1. False Information

2. Ignorance

3. Apathy

4. Participation (in killing and hurting animals.)

I'm not sure if it's a person destined path to become vegan when they are young. Is it natural for humans to have a distinct love for animals?

Nature or Nurture? A bit of both to become vegan.

We know for certain though, that a person who gets enjoyment from hurting animals is sick.

#55 Old 12-03-2012, 08:28 PM
I ♥ Vegan Guys ◕‿◕

Quote:
Originally Posted by FattyTheSheep View Post

Four reasons people exploit Animals and use their products:

1. False Information

2. Ignorance

3. Apathy

4. Participation (in killing and hurting animals.)

I'm not sure if it's a person destined path to become vegan when they are young. Is it natural for humans to have a distinct love for animals?

Nature or Nurture? A bit of both to become vegan.

We know for certain though, that a person who gets enjoyment from hurting animals is sick.

I participated in sending animals to slaughter when I was younger. I also used to get enjoyment out of stomping on bees. I regret every bit of it but now I'm a changed person and I couldn't feel more a peace. I feel like this has given me a purpose. I feel so aware and connected. While it's not impossible for them to change like I did., I find that the majority of hunters/ farmers of animals will defend their ways to their grave.

#56 Old 12-03-2012, 08:39 PM

It's funny, but I suppose that people who hurt animals only do it because they realise it causes suffering.....which is more than some people realise .

#57 Old 12-04-2012, 08:24 AM
Veggie Regular

And also 4everaspirit, i dont know why some one would put that in a review of a product. Its horrible that some one put that poor little mouse thru all that to begin with, but it had nothing to do with the product the person bought. The person didnt buy a toilet. He bought a "humane" mouse trap. People are so cruel
#58 Old 12-04-2012, 09:52 AM
Super Moderator

I put your post in a spoiler tag so people know what they'll be reading and can choose to avoid it.

#59 Old 12-04-2012, 10:34 AM
I ♥ Vegan Guys ◕‿◕

Quote:
Originally Posted by danakscully64 View Post

I put your post in a spoiler tag so people know what they'll be reading and can choose to avoid it.

Thanks. I had wanted to do that...but I thought it would be weird if the quote below me had it open for people to see.  Thanks!!

#60 Old 12-04-2012, 09:59 PM

I picked up some soy burgers today and my dad insisted on comparing them to the "real" burgers a la nutrition facts. He wouldn't stop making fun of me through my whole meal (which was wonderfully delicious), and said that the soy burger isn't 'better' for me than meat, because it has 10 calories more than the meat burger. Except the soy burger has 0 cholesterol and half the sodium of the meat burger. Apparently that doesn't matter, just calories.

Tags
Vegan-Lifestyle , Vegetarian-Lifestyle , vegan-food

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page