Stupid Things Omnivores Say, Version 6.0 - Page 19 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 1957Likes

#541 Old 05-15-2013, 06:27 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellie Bytes View Post

One time I was considering vegetarianism in the past someone said to me "If humans didnt start eating meat our brains would not have evolved the way they did and we wouldn't have all we have now".

I just thought "how is me being vegetarian going to change the whole history of humanity?"

It's such a dumb arguement. My personal choice has nothing to do with what our ancestors did. LOL

I actually feel that's a fair statement. Being omnivorous meant we could get food from such a variety of sources and climates that I'm sure it played a huge role in human evolution. Gathering couldn't have supplied our money-uncles with enough to thrive.

Meat was a very concentrated source of the fats and protein they needed for the tremendous calories they had to expend.

But--so what? So many want to tout the paleo diet, with it's variety of meat, but how many promote the paleo lifestyle?

Running from predators, spending your days in search of food and shelter. Burning calories just from shivering, or sweltering.

kamizushi likes this.

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#542 Old 05-15-2013, 06:38 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post

I actually feel that's a fair statement. Being omnivorous meant we could get food from such a variety of sources and climates that I'm sure it played a huge role in human evolution. Gathering couldn't have supplied our money-uncles with enough to thrive.

Meat was a very concentrated source of the fats and protein they needed for the tremendous calories they had to expend.

But--so what? So many want to tout the paleo diet, with it's variety of meat, but how many promote the paleo lifestyle?

Running from predators, spending your days in search of food and shelter. Burning calories just from shivering, or sweltering.

I think it's plausible that our ancestors couldn't have evolved such big energy intensive brains without the energy packed food that meat is. On another hand, nowadays, the main thing that energy packed food help westerners to grow is their ass.

In other words, this argument is complete BS.

#543 Old 05-15-2013, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post

Love that, gonna throw this one to some paleo guys I know...

Isabelle, aka La Grenouille
My blog (in French): L’herbivore — http://lherbivore.ca
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#544 Old 05-16-2013, 12:48 AM
Beginner's Mind

For man it is not enough to conquer the earth - he must go on and on beating it to death.

Jenner: I learned this much: take what you can, when you can.

Justin: Then you have learned nothing!

The Secret of NIMH

#545 Old 05-16-2013, 02:35 AM
Veggie Regular

I read this blog post from some health coach type person who's recently stopped being vegan. It didn't so much annoy me that she's decided to quit being vegan (every person is free to make their own decisions about what they choose to eat) as all the new-age touchy-feely bull**** about 'honouring your truth' and suchlike used in a rather grovelly attempt to rationalise her decision to her readers. As one of the commenters said, no need for a long post trying to justify your decision, if you want to eat meat just do it!

The line that was the cracker was when her body started chatting and saying "Eggs make me strong! I want more!" 

http://alexandrajamieson.com/im-not-vegan-anymore/

The sky is purple and things are right every day

#546 Old 05-16-2013, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoonerism View Post

I also hear the fish question a lot. Just the other day, this pizza delivery guy came in my store saying he had some extra pizzas and was apparently going to give them to me and my co-worker. It was nice of him, but he was kind of annoying to me about it.

Pizza guy: How adventurous are you?
Me: (on my way out the door since it was time for me to leave) Uh not very.
Co- worker: She probably can't eat that. She doesn't eat meat.
Me: I'm a vegetarian.
Pizza guy: What about fish?
Me: I don't eat that either.
Pizza guy: Well sucks to be you.
Me: So I've heard. *leaves*

He's usually pretty nice, but I was kind of annoyed by that exchange.

Also, my manager always apologizes (insincerely I think) whenever he eats meat around me. He'll make some contented "Mmm" noise and then say "Whoops! Sorry." I don't think he's trying to be a jerk. I think he thinks he's being funny. It's getting kind of old though. Last time he did it, I told him "I'm not that sensitive", so we'll see if he does it again.

About the "sucks to be you" comment I would have said "we actually smell better."
#547 Old 05-16-2013, 01:52 PM

Fun times at my mums house tonight. She said she'd order Chinese. I was like "OK", expecting her to bring the menu in so we could have a browse. But then a caught her about the dial the phone and I was like "WTF!". She was gonna order a meal for 2 that had CHICKEN sweet & sour, and BEEF in black bean sause.

I said "MUM! I need something with vegetables!"

She said "Oh I forgot you were vegetarian now." Fair enough, she's nearly 60 and a bit ditzy.

Then she said "Why do you have to be so awkward!? Can't you just eat around the meat?"

O_O

Eventually I got her to get me a vegetable chow mein.

We got 2 bags of prawn crackers free with the meal. She said I could take one home with me.

I said "I don't think I can eat those"

She said "Of course you can! It's just prawn crackers!!"
-_-

#548 Old 05-16-2013, 07:26 PM
Beginner's Mind

Why do they have to make everything awkward by always adding one unnecessary animal product or another to all kinds of otherwise perfectly good food?!

Jenner: I learned this much: take what you can, when you can.

Justin: Then you have learned nothing!

The Secret of NIMH

#549 Old 05-16-2013, 11:39 PM

#550 Old 05-19-2013, 01:01 AM

Last week my brother was at the hospital (he's ok now, thank God), so I went to see him and didn't took any lunch with me because I though I was coming back before lunch, so naturally I got hungry and as I always try to at least carry an apple or nuts with me I ate my apple but 4 hours later of course I was starving, so I went out to the cafeteria and bumped into my cousin (who's actually a Dr, so I was surprised to hear her said what she told me). I was looking at the menu and I guess I looked really frustrated.

My cousin: "you should have the roast, it's really good"

Me: "there's meat in that, I'm a vegetarian remember?"

My cousin: "yeah, but you can ask for the veggies in the roast, they're ok"

Me: "that's like asking for a pepperoni pizza, take the pepperoni out and say that that's vegetarian"

My cousin: "I'd probably do that"

O___O 

So yeah, I love her, I love my family, but sometimes I don't think they quite understand...

#551 Old 05-19-2013, 09:36 AM

Yesterday we ate out, my dear omni and I at a grilled pizza restaurant. I ordered the Greek without cheese, and hubby ordered a Mexican one (with cheese). We also had sweet potato fries on the side. The fries came with two little cups of mayo, one regular, the other spicy. Hubby took a huge dollop of the spicy one on his fries. “Ouh! Taste that! You're gonna love it, it's so spicy!”
“No, thanks, mayo is not vegan,” I said.
“No one’s gonna know, there’s no vegan police, you know?”

How I must love him to not smck him in the face when he’s so stupid!

Isabelle, aka La Grenouille
My blog (in French): L’herbivore — http://lherbivore.ca
#552 Old 05-19-2013, 06:44 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike4891 View Post

Why do they have to make everything awkward by always adding one unnecessary animal product or another to all kinds of otherwise perfectly good food?!

EXACTLY!!! I say this all the time! Why is gelatin in everything? And chicken base and all kinds if crap that doesnt need to be in perfectly good food.

My dad told me the other day he watched a show on how they made tofu. He said if you saw how its made you wouldnt eat that crap anymore.
I said have you ever seem how they make processed chicken? They throw it all in to the grinder and add chemicals and it comes out a pink paste and then they add more chemicals to turn it to "chicken" color.
( i dont actually know if this is true i saw something on face book about it but my dads to diumb to use the internet so i got my point across. And processed meat is discusting anyways, alot more discusting than the tofu)
He then proceeded to say yea i guess most of the stuff in factories is pretty discusting.
#553 Old 05-19-2013, 06:58 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by krispex22 View Post

EXACTLY!!! I say this all the time! Why is gelatin in everything? And chicken base and all kinds if crap that doesnt need to be in perfectly good food.

My dad told me the other day he watched a show on how they made tofu. He said if you saw how its made you wouldnt eat that crap anymore.
I said have you ever seem how they make processed chicken? They throw it all in to the grinder and add chemicals and it comes out a pink paste and then they add more chemicals to turn it to "chicken" color.
( i dont actually know if this is true i saw something on face book about it but my dads to diumb to use the internet so i got my point across. And processed meat is discusting anyways, alot more discusting than the tofu)
He then proceeded to say yea i guess most of the stuff in factories is pretty discusting.

After reading your comment, I found [url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUWwQGcu6TY]this[/url] about tofu making. I don't find it disgusting at all. It just looks normal to me.

#554 Old 05-19-2013, 07:03 PM
Veggie Regular

Yeah I got curious about it too and looked on youtube. LOL It doesn't look gross at all.

#555 Old 05-19-2013, 07:14 PM

soya beans> soya milk>soya curds>compressed into tofu

that's what I thought the process basically was.
Ewe Nanny likes this.

#556 Old 05-19-2013, 11:23 PM

My omni friend came over and noticed I had (dairy) milk when I usually have Bonsoy in my fridge...
And started lecturing me on how cruel the dairy industry is, and that I shouldn't support the killing of calves if I care about animals.

And I said '.. But you eat the cow, the calf and drink the milk?! Put your money where your mouth is.' and he said:

'Oh no.. I don't care about killing animals, but YOU should.'

Go figure.
#557 Old 05-20-2013, 03:14 AM
I ♥ Vegan Guys ◕‿◕

Oh meat eaters....I don't care so much about your opinion of us, but you are just factually incorrect.

So do you picket and protest all other species of animals and protest at them for eating other species? How about next time you see a bird eat a worm you march it right to the UN and complain about its unethical abuse of the worm as food. You morons, dairy cows produce milk, PERIOD! They do not have to be fertile, get your facts right. If you eat some meat you may develop some common sense. You lot are a waste of air and should eliminate yourselves from the gene pool."

As a side note, so bright meat eater who has learned basic biology, fertile is a more appropriate term for plants. It does not mean the same thing as "pregnant."

"Why should man expect his prayer for mercy to be heard by What is above him when he shows no mercy to what is under him?" ~Pierre Troubetzkoy
#558 Old 05-20-2013, 03:15 AM
I ♥ Vegan Guys ◕‿◕

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isikius View Post

My omni friend came over and noticed I had (dairy) milk when I usually have Bonsoy in my fridge...
And started lecturing me on how cruel the dairy industry is, and that I shouldn't support the killing of calves if I care about animals.

And I said '.. But you eat the cow, the calf and drink the milk?! Put your money where your mouth is.' and he said:

'Oh no.. I don't care about killing animals, but YOU should.'

Go figure.

O.O

You should care  but I shouldn't lol................people these days.

"Why should man expect his prayer for mercy to be heard by What is above him when he shows no mercy to what is under him?" ~Pierre Troubetzkoy
#559 Old 05-20-2013, 01:23 PM

Oh well, but I myself cannot live the life of a vegetarian. I do not like being frail and joint issues are enough of a hassle."

I actually laugh :P
#560 Old 05-20-2013, 01:47 PM
Banned

Him:  "Why are you vegan ~ do you actually WANT to be weak and get ill?"

Me:  "No I don't want to get ill ~ that's precisely why I'm vegan"

... I then looked pointedly at the industrial strength antibiotics on his desk and smiled ...

I'm sure this is a fairly regular scenario for people, but the best/worst part of it was that he's a qualified nurse doh.gif

veggiefee likes this.
#561 Old 05-20-2013, 02:55 PM
Veggie Regular

A walrus brain- 1.1kg- the largest brain of a carnivorous animal.

An elephant brain- 4.78kg- herbivorous diet.

Humans ate animals which made our brains evolve but carnivores ate animals all the time- yet they're still living like animals! Maybe they should eat more meat- oh wait... rolleyes.gif

Anywho, I don't know whether this is necessarily a STOS thing, but the Alpro dairy-free website, which promotes it's product as more healthy and using less resources than dairy milk, is promoting meat and dairy filled recipes! Why even buy their products for being healthy and sustainable if you're only going to put other unhealthy and unsustainable products in anyway? dizzy2.gif

One even said to use a whole block of cheese... Some examples:

http://www.alpro.com/uk/recipe-inspiration/alpro-pasta

http://www.alpro.com/uk/recipe-inspiration/fresco-dressing

http://www.alpro.com/uk/recipe-inspiration/carbonara

http://www.alpro.com/uk/recipe-inspiration/dauphinois

http://www.alpro.com/uk/recipe-inspiration/lasagna

"Treat others as you wish to be treated."

- The Golden Rule

"No snowflake in an avalanche feels responsible."

- Voltair

"Be the change you wish to see in the world."

- Mahatma Ghandi

"Even dust piled up will grow into a mountain."

- Japanese Proverb

#562 Old 05-20-2013, 03:41 PM
Banned

You've all probably seen this one before, but it's soooo true I couldn't resist posting it.

#563 Old 05-20-2013, 05:06 PM
I ♥ Vegan Guys ◕‿◕

They should really play defensive omnivore bingo at every vegan event. I have a feeling it would drag in a few old folks too..............blush.gif

#564 Old 05-20-2013, 07:55 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4everaspirit View Post

Oh meat eaters....I don't care so much about your opinion of us, but you are just factually incorrect.

So do you picket and protest all other species of animals and protest at them for eating other species? How about next time you see a bird eat a worm you march it right to the UN and complain about its unethical abuse of the worm as food. You morons, dairy cows produce milk, PERIOD! They do not have to be fertile, get your facts right. If you eat some meat you may develop some common sense. You lot are a waste of air and should eliminate yourselves from the gene pool."

As a side note, so bright meat eater who has learned basic biology, fertile is a more appropriate term for plants. It does not mean the same thing as "pregnant."

Woooow!

That is....actually impressively stupid. Either way you read it, they're wrong.

If they actually meant fertile, they're wrong. A fertile cow produces milk for her calves, an infertile cow doesn't need to produce milk because she's not having any calves.

If they actually meant 'pregnant', they're also wrong. A cow needs to be pregnant in the first place, to start producing milk.

What they might have meant to say is "A cow doesn't need to be continually pregnant, in order to produce milk" which is true. Then, you could have had a discussion with that person about the fact that the dairy industry forgoes processes of waiting for the milk supply to run out, before impregnating the cow again (to start the milk up again) and instead just keep impregnating the cow in what could be considered an unnecessary manner.

But unfortunately, this meat eater has failed in properly putting forward their argument....Maybe they need more protein.....

#565 Old 05-20-2013, 08:12 PM
I ♥ Vegan Guys ◕‿◕

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Lilly View Post

Maybe they need more protein.....

My thoughts exactly....LOL grin.gif

#566 Old 05-20-2013, 08:13 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellie Bytes View PostCan't you just eat around the meat?"

I would have asked her, can't you order all vegetarian meals?

#567 Old 05-21-2013, 08:01 AM

Ok, here's the latest and greatest from a coworker: "hey, if you want to take a quick break from veganism, try some of this (points to some sort of powdered chocolate with milk)".  Me: "there is no such thing as a "break from veganism".  This is not the first time, just a different product.

Werewolf Girl likes this.
#568 Old 05-23-2013, 04:50 PM
Super Moderator

My city is introducing Meatless Monday (the first ever in Canada, yay!! carrot.gif) and this article is the dumbest response to it I could have imagined:

http://www.vancouversun.com/life/Forget+Meatless+Monday+about+Caveman+Appreciation/8423264/story.html

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#569 Old 05-23-2013, 05:16 PM

Better french kiss a vegetarian day grin.gif
#570 Old 05-23-2013, 05:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf Girl View Post

My city is introducing Meatless Monday (the first ever in Canada, yay!! carrot.gif) and this article is the dumbest response to it I could have imagined:

http://www.vancouversun.com/life/Forget+Meatless+Monday+about+Caveman+Appreciation/8423264/story.html

I can't believe that woman (I assume) is a paid journalist ~ she writes like an educationally stunted 10 year old.

Tags
Vegan-Lifestyle , Vegetarian-Lifestyle , vegan-food

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page