Stupid Things Omnivores Say, Version 6.0 - Page 12 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 1957Likes

#331 Old 01-28-2013, 10:39 PM
Veggie Regular

I am a nanny for a 4-year old boy, and his Grandma has been staying at his house for the past several months. She is not in very good health. She also eats things like white bread, and every morning she has diet Coke with chocolate syrup to "wake her up"... huh.gif

I made dinner for myself tonight at their house- brown rice elbow macaroni with soy crumbles, diced tomatoes, and spinach. She wandered into the kitchen and asked what I was making- "is that ground beef?"
Me: "No, it's soy crumbles."
*She makes a face*
Me: "I don't eat meat..."

Grandma: "You know, [daughter-in-law] used to not eat meat. Her eyes and skin turned yellow."
Me: "...did she eat a lot of carrots?"
Grandma: "As soon as she started eating protein again, the yellow went away."
Me: "Oh...well I eat a lot of protein."
Grandma: "She did too! Lentils and stuff. It just doesn't work for some people."

Okay then.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#332 Old 01-29-2013, 02:50 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiKat View Post

I am a nanny for a 4-year old boy, and his Grandma has been staying at his house for the past several months. She is not in very good health. She also eats things like white bread, and every morning she has diet Coke with chocolate syrup to "wake her up"... huh.gif

I made dinner for myself tonight at their house- brown rice elbow macaroni with soy crumbles, diced tomatoes, and spinach. She wandered into the kitchen and asked what I was making- "is that ground beef?"
Me: "No, it's soy crumbles."
*She makes a face*
Me: "I don't eat meat..."

Grandma: "You know, [daughter-in-law] used to not eat meat. Her eyes and skin turned yellow."
Me: "...did she eat a lot of carrots?"
Grandma: "As soon as she started eating protein again, the yellow went away."
Me: "Oh...well I eat a lot of protein."
Grandma: "She did too! Lentils and stuff. It just doesn't work for some people."

Okay then.

Your skin can turn yellow if you eat too many carrots and not enough protein? Well that explains my glowing skin! grin.gif

My grandma asked me the "What do you eat?" question, and as soon as I started rambling she looked at me and walked away! Poor Granny! blush.gif

"Treat others as you wish to be treated."

- The Golden Rule

"No snowflake in an avalanche feels responsible."

- Voltair

"Be the change you wish to see in the world."

- Mahatma Ghandi

"Even dust piled up will grow into a mountain."

- Japanese Proverb

#333 Old 01-30-2013, 07:37 AM

protein.gif
Tom and Sunflower like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#334 Old 01-30-2013, 11:48 AM
Veggie Regular

My aunt posted a link on my facebook about 8 things you didnt know contained meat. It was like worchester sauce and stuff like that. Well my uncle, her husband, had to chime in and comment "i love meat"
Really it was tottally unnecasary. He always makes snide comments all the time about me not eating meat and it really p***** me off. Im not preachy about being vegetarian. I dont talk about it unless someone asks me a question and i dont ask people to make or get special food for me when we get together. So i dont know why he has to make rude little comments. And on that note, at xmas my aunt got pasta salad and she speciffically picked this one out because it didnt have bacon in it. I didnt ask her to do that. I really dont even like pasta salad but since she got it i ate it. My uncle was like ew i didnt eat any of it because i like the one with the bacon better. Its not the same. As a matter kf fact ive never even seen pasta salad with bacon in it. Hes so rude. Atleast thats a part of my family that i only see on holidays and our camping trip (that i wont be attending this year because this uncle scheduled it on my weekend to work)
#335 Old 01-30-2013, 06:52 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by krispex22 View Post

My aunt posted a link on my facebook about 8 things you didnt know contained meat. It was like worchester sauce and stuff like that. Well my uncle, her husband, had to chime in and comment "i love meat"
Really it was tottally unnecasary. He always makes snide comments all the time about me not eating meat and it really p***** me off. Im not preachy about being vegetarian. I dont talk about it unless someone asks me a question and i dont ask people to make or get special food for me when we get together. So i dont know why he has to make rude little comments. And on that note, at xmas my aunt got pasta salad and she speciffically picked this one out because it didnt have bacon in it. I didnt ask her to do that. I really dont even like pasta salad but since she got it i ate it. My uncle was like ew i didnt eat any of it because i like the one with the bacon better. Its not the same. As a matter kf fact ive never even seen pasta salad with bacon in it. Hes so rude. Atleast thats a part of my family that i only see on holidays and our camping trip (that i wont be attending this year because this uncle scheduled it on my weekend to work)

Your uncle sounds horrible.

You could always say to him "Well, you know what they say....You can choose your dietary choices, but you can't choose your relatives". That way, you're not saying anything nasty to him, in fact you could be having a dig at yourself, but everyone will know what you mean.

As for his "I love meat" comment. You could always respond with "Me too. I love meat so much I call it by it's real names, like cow and pig, rather than 'beef and bacon'."

And if he wants to keep going with how meat is just better you can always ask him, as he loves meat SO much, what he thinks about people accidentally eating horses recently. Or how he feels about the eating of dogs and cats.
If he says "That's terrible" say to him "I know! Isn't it just!".
If he says, "It's all meat" say to him "Well, we agree on something.... I think all animals are equal too. Just not all equal to being our dinner"

He's a bully. I'm sorry he's so crappy. Your aunt seems quite nice though.

Sunflower likes this.
#336 Old 01-30-2013, 08:15 PM
Beginner

https://9gag.com/gag/6455941

I'm about to give up on 9gag...brood.gif

#337 Old 01-30-2013, 09:12 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond View Post

Dang that comment list is huge.
#338 Old 01-30-2013, 09:34 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanspud View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond View Post

Dang that comment list is huge.
This one guy said: Yeah, i used to give complex, argumentative and elaborate answers when they asked me why i went vegan. Now i just say: "To annoy people.

grin.gif
joelbny likes this.
#339 Old 01-30-2013, 09:53 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LedBoots View Post

This one guy said: Yeah, i used to give complex, argumentative and elaborate answers when they asked me why i went vegan. Now i just say: "To annoy people.

grin.gif

laugh.gif

That's a pretty good answer.

From some of the comments listed in the 9gag site it's almost as if they expect a vegan to be staging a full-on protest when they eat their animal meat. If veg*ns got upset whenever they saw someone eating flesh, they wouldn't be able to get out much. The hostile defensiveness seems unfounded.

Sunflower likes this.
#340 Old 01-31-2013, 06:03 PM
Veggie Regular

I just...

Person one: "I don't think everyone can go completely vegetarian. I tried and I crave protein. But limiting meat and eating just leaner meats or only chicken and fish in small quantities is quite doable."

Person two: "We crave it because we need it.  There's a reason vegetarian foods are frequently formed and flavored into meat substitutes (veggies burgers, veggie bacon, veggie sausage, veggie chicken nuggets, etc...).  I don't know any meat products that are formed to look like vegetables."

brood.gif

- The Golden Rule

- Voltair

- Mahatma Ghandi

- Japanese Proverb

#341 Old 01-31-2013, 06:14 PM
Veggie Regular

I'd also like to complain about the reasoning that "other animals eat meat so it's natural" justifies all human animals eating meat, for just a few reasons:

1. Not all animals eat meat, so it's both natural and unnatural at the same time, depending on the species you are, and
  2. Not all humans need to eat meat, unless there is literally no edible vegetation in their area

brood.gif

(Sorry, I'm feeling a bit moody today!)

- The Golden Rule

- Voltair

- Mahatma Ghandi

- Japanese Proverb

#342 Old 01-31-2013, 06:35 PM

Quote:

grin.gif

He he, already used it on Huffington Post:

“9 years veg, 7 vegan. When people asked me why I went vegan, I used to give a thoughtful, reasoned response. Now I just say, 'to annoy people.'"
Werewolf Girl and veggiefee like this.
#343 Old 01-31-2013, 06:41 PM

I usually just say "out of compassion for animals." Short, sweet, and to the point and left open for elaboration. It doesn't seem to annoy people IME.

Edit: Oh, this is about 9gag........

“Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself.”
-Leo Tolstoy

#344 Old 02-01-2013, 12:20 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewe Nanny View Post

I'd also like to complain about the reasoning that "other animals eat meat so it's natural" justifies all human animals eating meat, for just a few reasons:
  1. Not all animals eat meat, so it's both natural and unnatural at the same time, depending on the species you are, and
  2. Not all humans need to eat meat, unless there is literally no edible vegetation in their area

brood.gif

(Sorry, I'm feeling a bit moody today!)
Animals go around naked, so it's just natural.
Animals routinely mate with unwilling partners, so it's just natural.
Animals usually live outdoors, so it's just natural.

I'd rather be a modern human being than "natural", even if we could all agree on what's "natural".

--Fromper
juggle.gif
Sunflower and Werewolf Girl like this.
#345 Old 02-02-2013, 03:46 AM
Lifelong vegetarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fromper View Post

Animals go around naked, so it's just natural.
Animals routinely mate with unwilling partners, so it's just natural.
Animals usually live outdoors, so it's just natural.

I'd rather be a modern human being than "natural", even if we could all agree on what's "natural".

--Fromper
juggle.gif

Is there a thread in VB in which we can find logic answers to (stupid) remarks/questions?

My usual answer: I have never heard a convincing reason to eat meat.
#346 Old 02-02-2013, 05:34 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by @rno View Post

Is there a thread in VB in which we can find logic answers to (stupid) remarks/questions?

I don't think so, so somebody ought to make one! grin.gif

- The Golden Rule

- Voltair

- Mahatma Ghandi

- Japanese Proverb

#347 Old 02-02-2013, 03:48 PM
Super Moderator

Next time I hear "I love meat", or "I need meat", I'm responding with -  "Fellatio?

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#348 Old 02-03-2013, 04:15 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post

Next time I hear "I love meat", or "I need meat", I'm responding with -  "Fellatio?

I used to mix fellatio with fallafel- awkward! surprised.gif

veggiefee likes this.

- The Golden Rule

- Voltair

- Mahatma Ghandi

- Japanese Proverb

#349 Old 02-03-2013, 05:07 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post

That could be the answer to the 'Where do you get your protein' question also! wink3.gif
#350 Old 02-03-2013, 12:02 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewe Nanny View Post

I used to mix fellatio with fallafel- awkward! surprised.gif

Quote:

That could be the answer to the 'Where do you get your protein' question also! wink3.gif

laugh.gif

#351 Old 02-04-2013, 08:44 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by @rno View Post

You mean the Witty Responses to "Stupid Things Omnivores Say" thread?

--Fromper
juggle.gif
#352 Old 02-04-2013, 11:28 AM
Lifelong vegetarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fromper View Post

You mean the Witty Responses to "Stupid Things Omnivores Say" thread?

--Fromper
juggle.gif

This thread needs some food for thoughts.

My usual answer: I have never heard a convincing reason to eat meat.
#353 Old 02-05-2013, 01:30 PM
Administrator

I was at work the other day listening to the person next to me tell the other person next to me how their daughter is a vegetarian who likes to eat frozen fish filets. I was kind of staying out of it, as I usually do, but I was shocked when the person on the hearing end of the story said "Your daughter is either a pescetarian or a hypocrite." I was like OMG! But the person talking just kept right on like she either didn't hear or didn't understand what was said.

Follow me on Twitter - @_jorts
#354 Old 02-05-2013, 01:40 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post

I was at work the other day listening to the person next to me tell the other person next to me how their daughter is a vegetarian who likes to eat frozen fish filets. I was kind of staying out of it, as I usually do, but I was shocked when the person on the hearing end of the story said "Your daughter is either a pescetarian or a hypocrite." I was like OMG! But the person talking just kept right on like she either didn't hear or didn't understand what was said.

laugh.gif I like it.

#355 Old 02-05-2013, 03:33 PM

Omni (watching me prepare lunch at work): "Do you struggle [as a vegan] buying food in the supermarket?"

Me: "Not really, no."

Omni: "What are you having for your lunch today?"

Me: "Soup."

Omni: "Home-made?"

Me (taking the chance to prove that I don't struggle in the supermarket): "No."

Omni: "Oh!!"

...then...

"Well you can't live on just soup."

I think that's what you call a no-win situation.

#356 Old 02-05-2013, 06:15 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Monkey View Post

Omni (watching me prepare lunch at work): "Do you struggle [as a vegan] buying food in the supermarket?"

Me: "Not really, no."

Omni: "What are you having for your lunch today?"

Me: "Soup."

Omni: "Home-made?"

Me (taking the chance to prove that I don't struggle in the supermarket): "No."

Omni: "Oh!!"

...then...

"Well you can't live on just soup."

I think that's what you call a no-win situation.

Was he joking?inquisitive.gif

#357 Old 02-06-2013, 11:18 AM
Poo Pie Head

By far the dumbest comment from an omni I have gotten thus far: "You people just want to save the cute animals!" inquisitive.gif

#358 Old 02-06-2013, 07:50 PM
Beginner

https://9gag.com/gag/6510049

That's it. No more 9gag. I am officially done.

#359 Old 02-07-2013, 12:29 PM
Super Moderator

On Dr. Phil, a woman "forced" her vegetarian husband to start eating meat again because she wants 20 kids and read a study that claimed soy decreases sperm count. If that were true, we would have far less Asians in the world. She's an idiot.

#360 Old 02-07-2013, 12:40 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by danakscully64 View Post

On Dr. Phil, a woman "forced" her vegetarian husband to start eating meat again because she wants 20 kids and read a study that claimed soy decreases sperm count. If that were true, we would have far less Asians in the world. She's an idiot.
considering that she also said she needs more children and that the world is underpopulated i wasn't surprised she said it

Tags
Vegan-Lifestyle , Vegetarian-Lifestyle , vegan-food

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page