Stupid Things Omnivores Say, Version 6.0 - Page 110 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 1957Likes

#3271 Old 07-17-2017, 06:12 PM
person

Quote:
Originally Posted by Symondezyn View Post
I hear the "plants have feelings" argument a lot... way more than I would like to, especially considering it often comes from people I would otherwise consider to be intelligent *eyeroll*

Also, TFW you look at the vegetarian portion of a Chinese menu, and the dishes are clearly listed as being made with oyster sauce.... *facepalm*

We also recently learned that the vegetarian spring rolls at our favourite Thai restaurant (luckily we haven't eaten them since before going vegan) are made with CHICKEN BROTH - so yeah, maybe don't put that little green "V" next to it on the menu, eh? LOL
Ask about the oyster sauce because there is a vegetarian/vegan type. We found out about it at our local Chinese restaurant. You can even get it at some supermarkets here.

I have had Chinese a restaurant put fish into vegetarian dishes and I won't eat at Thai restaurants at all any more because they say it's vegetarian - anything - but it will have fish sauce in it.
Jasminedesi16 likes this.

"The time will come when men such as I will look upon the murder of animals as they now look upon the murder of men." - Leonardo Da Vinci, Italian Painter, Sculptor, Architect, Musician, Engineer, and Scientist

When it comes to having a central nervous system, and the ability to feel pain, hunger, and thirst, a rat is a pig is a dog is a boy. ~Ingrid Newkirk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#3272 Old 09-03-2017, 10:53 PM
Veggie Regular

Oh, brother.

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/wo69/oscar-m...ck-soccer-game

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#3273 Old 11-03-2017, 10:46 PM
Beginner

I...I don't even have the energy to read all of this... http://ubifidesibiamor.tumblr.com/po...povey-cinensis
Purp likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#3274 Old 11-06-2017, 12:58 AM
Veggie Regular

I've been gone for a while (18 months or so) from these forums, and I can't believe this thread is still going - when are omnivores going to try and come up with better arguments?!!

A friend of mine: "you'll be really pleased with me, I've cut down on beef and pork, and eat lots more chicken instead".

Big sigh from me. And when I went on to explain that actually, more animals are being harmed not less, her face dropped. So she followed with "yeah, but it's only a chicken and chickens have smaller brains, they aren't very clever".

Another big sigh. And the start of a conversation about whether her much-loved and clever little dog (a terrier) is less intelligent than a bigger dog just because it's smaller.

Someday, someday, the penny will drop for this self-titled "animal lover".
Purp and Jasminedesi16 like this.
#3275 Old 11-06-2017, 12:16 PM
Veggie Regular

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#3276 Old 11-07-2017, 04:05 PM

Today on another message board I follow, someone asked for help in transitioning to vegetarianism and then veganism after watching some videos about factory farming. Within 5 minutes of her post 3 people told her the videos were bunk. I said that the suffering associated with factory farming was real, and that there were economic factors putting pressure on producers to compete and minimize costs that were contributing factors in this.

I thought that was a fairly non-controversial statement, but someone else basically accused me of special pleading and dishonesty and then offered this:

Quote:
If you care about where your meat and milk comes from in terms of animal welfare? Well, then do your homework. Take the time to invest into researching/verifying claims and find those producers whose practices in reality (emphasis his/hers) agree with your own ethics.
I thought it was amazing that this poster, who I've never interacted with before, knows my code of ethics so well that he/she was able to determine that there were producers in the dairy and meat industries that meet them.
Purp likes this.

When we make compassion our barometer, we don't settle for violence on a small scale. We aspire to kindness on a huge scale. --Colleen Patrick-Goudreau
#3277 Old 11-08-2017, 05:08 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AspiringBuddha View Post

I thought it was amazing that this poster, who I've never interacted with before, knows my code of ethics so well that he/she was able to determine that there were producers in the dairy and meat industries that meet them.
Haha Omnivores become instant nutrition experts as well when they discover you don't eat meat; asking where you get your protein and iron etc from. I ask them nutrition questions back (innocently, of course) - where they get their Vitamin B6 from, and Vitamin K, and Vitamin E etc.....they generally have no idea
silva, Purp and blue_green_gold like this.
#3278 Old 11-08-2017, 03:28 PM
GuessWhatChiknButt

Right direction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tka123 View Post
I've been gone for a while (18 months or so) from these forums, and I can't believe this thread is still going - when are omnivores going to try and come up with better arguments?!!

A friend of mine: "you'll be really pleased with me, I've cut down on beef and pork, and eat lots more chicken instead".

Big sigh from me. And when I went on to explain that actually, more animals are being harmed not less, her face dropped. So she followed with "yeah, but it's only a chicken and chickens have smaller brains, they aren't very clever".

Another big sigh. And the start of a conversation about whether her much-loved and clever little dog (a terrier) is less intelligent than a bigger dog just because it's smaller.

Someday, someday, the penny will drop for this self-titled "animal lover".
I really like what Matt Ball has to say about how to respond to knuckleheads in general. It’s about making small steps in the right direction until they finally see the light. Omnivores will be more receptive if we are encouraging instead of elitist or tearing them down. (mattball.org/2017/07/have-you-ever-had-bad-vegan-experience.html)

Her heart was in the right place, so I would focus on that. She’s trying. It’s obviously really mislead, but we have a habit of acting like they have all the same info we do. Not only do they NOT have that information, but most people aren’t emotionally ready to receive it anyway. Our job is to prep them, THEN teach them, not to convince, cuz it just doesn’t work.

EVERYONE should read “The Animal Activist’s Handbook” by Matt Ball, it’s taught me SO much about how to get the message across without becoming the judgmental vegan or the nazi foodie. (Mattball.org/2017/05/how-vegans-hurt-animals.html)

AND its really encouraging when you’re feeling discouraged =)
Purp and tka123 like this.
#3279 Old 11-08-2017, 03:49 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tka123 View Post
Haha Omnivores become instant nutrition experts as well when they discover you don't eat meat; asking where you get your protein and iron etc from. I ask them nutrition questions back (innocently, of course) - where they get their Vitamin B6 from, and Vitamin K, and Vitamin E etc.....they generally have no idea
That's what I do! Don't forget potassium! I've seen a few people taken by ambulance for low potassium- found in abundance in beans and veggies
Purp, blue_green_gold and tka123 like this.

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#3280 Old 11-08-2017, 11:20 PM
Veggie Regular

For all the smart people; is there a way to bookmark certain posts?

#3281 Old 11-09-2017, 05:38 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZonerGirl View Post
I really like what Matt Ball has to say about how to respond to knuckleheads in general. It’s about making small steps in the right direction until they finally see the light. Omnivores will be more receptive if we are encouraging instead of elitist or tearing them down. (mattball.org/2017/07/have-you-ever-had-bad-vegan-experience.html)

Her heart was in the right place, so I would focus on that. She’s trying. It’s obviously really mislead, but we have a habit of acting like they have all the same info we do. Not only do they NOT have that information, but most people aren’t emotionally ready to receive it anyway. Our job is to prep them, THEN teach them, not to convince, cuz it just doesn’t work.

EVERYONE should read “The Animal Activist’s Handbook” by Matt Ball, it’s taught me SO much about how to get the message across without becoming the judgmental vegan or the nazi foodie. (Mattball.org/2017/05/how-vegans-hurt-animals.html)

Yeah, that tends to be my way too. I've re-read what I wrote and it sounds like I was being a bit harsh, but really I wasn't, I explained gently rather than launched into an impatient tirade (that's not my style!) - but my heart just sinks when I hear these arguments again and again.
#3282 Old 11-09-2017, 05:45 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZonerGirl View Post

...And having been on the receiving end of verbal abuse myself by a few vegans on these forums some years ago, I advocate the "be kind to animals, including humans" approach. Nastiness gets us nowhere, it puts off potential veg*ns, and anyone leaning towards a plant-based diet. I'm a big fan of Matt Ball and his viewpoint. And I will check the book out as well, thanks for the recommendation.
Purp and blue_green_gold like this.
#3283 Old 01-04-2018, 12:03 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by psipsine View Post
Coworker: Why don't you put some tuna in your sandwich? It's very plain
Me: I'm a vegetarian, remember? Tuna is a fish, I don't eat fish
Coworker: But my sister in law is a vegetarian and she surely eats fish
Then I went on to explain the difference between vegetarians and pescetarians and how her SIL is the latter....
Ugh! I have an aunt who eats fish and tells everyone she is a Vegetarian, its so annoying.
Purp likes this.
#3284 Old 01-17-2018, 09:32 PM
Veggie Regular

My friend "gave up meat" but still consumed chicken broth, then complains her hair is falling out, and says she's a vegetarian...

#3285 Old 01-17-2018, 09:33 PM
Veggie Regular

Cool

My friend "gave up meat" but still consumes food cooked in chicken broth, but she's still a "vegetarian".

#3286 Old 01-30-2018, 04:20 AM

My mom told me that I shouldn't go vegetarian, I should go low carb and eat meat because it is healthier and what about protein and vitamins. I facepalmed so hard at that.
Purp likes this.
#3287 Old 01-30-2018, 10:59 AM
Longtime vegetarian

My favorite is the way omnivores think it's cute...or funny...or original...or SOMETHING, when they ask, "don't you miss a good steak?!" or similar, like I'm depriving myself of something wonderful. Why, no, I don't miss the animal abuse and the flesh of a sentient being one bit!
Purp likes this.
#3288 Old 02-06-2018, 11:42 AM

Coworker made a stupid comment that I will probably never forgive. (And she's super-young, fresh-out-of-college too! It's not like she's old and set in her ways!)
Coworkers find out I'm vegan and wonder why I'm vegan. I explain I'm vegan for health first and animals second. I explain that 50% of people who die in the USA die of heart disease and the Top 10 causes of death are 100% diet-related (smoking and car accidents are the only things not diet-related). I point out that the vegan Seventh-Day Adventists in Loma Linda, California and the vegan Okinawans in Japan are the longest-living people on the planet with virtually no diseases of any kind.
Her reply: "It's a choice. You do your thing and I'll do mine."
"50% of people are dying of heart disease. It's more than a personal preference, it's a serious health risk."
"Anyone can write anything on the internet."
"This is written on the US gov't websites and numerous health organizations and peer-reviewed scientific studies."
"Which studies? Anyone can write anything on the internet."
And she basically just shrugs it off that there is any kind of health crisis in the world at all. She's young and thin due to extreme calorie restriction (rather than healthy eating). But I couldn't believe the level of self-denial of the health crisis in the USA, especially from someone who clearly cares enough about their physical form to calorie restrict like that. Most people I talk to will 100% admit there's a serious problem, even if they don't want to go vegan. I was thinking stuff like "WTF you moron? Have you been living under a rock? Do you not see the obesity epidemic around you? You are literally denying the sky is blue and the grass is green."

You cannot reason with someone that insane.

P.S. there is one coworker I talk to a lot about veganism, even tho I know it will never sink in because he doesn't want it to. However, I think some other coworkers have been occasionally listening in on the conversation because occasionally one of them will actually agree about dairy being bad or that the food/pharma companies are paying the gov't tons of money to lie to us about nutrition.
I always wished we could have a TV or radio playing in the background of supermarkets. Because people don't "want" the information until they have it. Only then do some of them realize they aren't comfortable knowing the truth and then doing nothing about it. (health issues or animal treatment)
Purp likes this.

Last edited by Arwen17; 02-06-2018 at 11:50 AM.
#3289 Old 02-06-2018, 11:56 AM
Vegan since 1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arwen17 View Post
I explain that 50% of people who die in the USA die of heart disease and the Top 10 causes of death are 100% diet-related (smoking and car accidents are the only things not diet-related). I point out that the vegan Seventh-Day Adventists in Loma Linda, California and the vegan Okinawans in Japan are the longest-living people on the planet with virtually no diseases of any kind.
Her reply: "It's a choice. You do your thing and I'll do mine."
"50% of people are dying of heart disease. It's more than a personal preference, it's a serious health risk."
"Anyone can write anything on the internet."
"This is written on the US gov't websites and numerous health organizations and peer-reviewed scientific studies."
"Which studies? Anyone can write anything on the internet."

It's true that there's a lot of unsubstantiated garbage on the internet, but I don't see why she is so skeptical of statements made by mainstream health organizations. You might try sending her these links:

American Heart Association's statement regarding vegetarian diets: http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Health...p#.WnoHDGffOpo

American Diabetes Association's statement on vegetarian diets: http://www.diabetes.org/food-and-fit...r-vegetarians/

Kaiser Permanente's (one of the largest health insurance companies in the United States) vegan nutrition guide: http://www.kphealthyme.com/Healthy-E...ased-Diet.aspx

For the sake of improved accuracy, it should be noted that, in the United States, heart disease kills closer to 25% of people, not 50%. Here is a link from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention: https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/deaths.htm

Link:
https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/products/databriefs/db26.htm

Also, it's (unfortunately) not true to say that the Seventh Day Adventists of Loma Linda are virtually free of disease (although their longevity is excellent). The peer-reviewed Adventist Health Study found that vegetarians had a 50% lower risk of type 2 diabetes, and about a 30% lower risk of heart disease mortality (37% reduced risk for males):

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3662288/

https://academic.oup.com/ajcn/article/70/3/532s/4714987
Purp likes this.

_________

Specific recommendations for a healthy diet include: eating more fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts and grains; cutting down on salt, sugar and fats. It is also advisable to choose unsaturated fats, instead of saturated fats and towards the elimination of trans-fatty acids."
- United Nations' World Health Organization
http://www.who.int/topics/diet/en/

Last edited by David3; 02-06-2018 at 12:07 PM.
#3290 Old 10-16-2018, 09:14 PM
Veggie Regular

Today at work I brought some vegan cheese and some ritz crackers and shared it with everyone. My friend said it was good, and another guy was up there and he said, "You eat cheese made from cashews?" no rude, more like curious, and I said, "Yes, since I'm not a baby cow." Another colleague said, "Yum, veal" I very nicely didn't raise to the bait.

#3291 Old 01-02-2019, 06:17 PM
Veggie Regular

Good day, all. Today, from the "You Couldn't Make This Conversation Up If You Wanted To" file: over NYE, we get together as a family and go out to the coast, and one of our traditions is a "White Elephant" party. Two of the White Elephants we had this year had a box of edible crickets, and the other a box of edible larva. There was a debate on whether larva and crickets were okay for vegans or not. I, being the only vegan, said no, they aren't for vegans.

#3292 Old 01-06-2019, 11:59 AM
Veggie Regular

I am slightly concerned about how omnivores coming to the forum considering transition to vegan may react if they are consider themselves to have been labelled as stupid.

Do you think it would make sense to not have the word "stupid" in the thread title. How about just "things that omnivores say". We want to make this forum welcoming for people that are transitioning.

Just try and remember some of these people that are considering transitioning may find their way to this thread, and I worry that this could have a negative consequence in terms of the chance of them transitioning or joining the forum. So I also want to suggest that people keep this in mind when venting frustrations. Anyway, that is purely a suggestion so of course you may not agree with it.
David3 likes this.
#3293 Old 01-08-2019, 01:37 PM

I had a former friend who used the argument that Vegetarianism is wrong because people are meat during the ice age.

Honestly just because cavemen did it doesn't mean we should. We're civilized and developed to the point where we can utilize alternatives to eating meat.

I deleted him from my friends list. I simply changed my cover photo and he condescendingly commented with GIFs saying "no". I am not going to let him bash me for having empathy for animals.
#3294 Old 01-09-2019, 11:50 AM
Vegan since 1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie in Chile View Post
I am slightly concerned about how omnivores coming to the forum considering transition to vegan may react if they are consider themselves to have been labelled as stupid.

Do you think it would make sense to not have the word "stupid" in the thread title. How about just "things that omnivores say". We want to make this forum welcoming for people that are transitioning.

Just try and remember some of these people that are considering transitioning may find their way to this thread, and I worry that this could have a negative consequence in terms of the chance of them transitioning or joining the forum. So I also want to suggest that people keep this in mind when venting frustrations. Anyway, that is purely a suggestion so of course you may not agree with it.

Agreed 100%. Just changing the thread title would make this whole forum more welcoming to newcomers. The current thread title is insulting - I think it makes us look hostile.

_________

Specific recommendations for a healthy diet include: eating more fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts and grains; cutting down on salt, sugar and fats. It is also advisable to choose unsaturated fats, instead of saturated fats and towards the elimination of trans-fatty acids."
- United Nations' World Health Organization
http://www.who.int/topics/diet/en/
#3295 Old 02-05-2019, 01:57 PM
Veggie Regular

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie in Chile View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by David3 View Post
Agreed 100%. Just changing the thread title would make this whole forum more welcoming to newcomers. The current thread title is insulting - I think it makes us look hostile.
Trust me, it's fine. I was an omni with some really dumb ideas about food until I joined. I read this thread and realized, "I don't believe that. I guess I'm not so dumb after all."

Tags
Vegan-Lifestyle , Vegetarian-Lifestyle , vegan-food

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page