Stupid Things Omnivores Say, Version 6.0 - Page 108 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 1957Likes

#3211 Old 10-13-2016, 06:26 PM
Bandit

I'm in an environmental club at my college, and we are trying to make the cafeteria veggie burger vegan. The president of the club and at least one other member is vegan, and the secretary is a vegetarian who is "mostly vegan." We haven't tried to force anyone else in the club to be vegan, we are just informing people about the environmental impact and trying to get more options in the cafeteria.

There are two or three guys in club who apparently have...issues. Today we didn't have a meeting, but the president and I ran into him by chance. Within the span of a ten minute conversation he managed to say something completely idiotic, that vegan men have low testosterone and one body builder he follows says most vegan weight lifters are on stereoids. Before I could stop myself I replied, that's ****ing bull****.

These people need to be educated but I was so offended by that I just immediately reacted. I can't believe this douche even thought that was an appropriate thing to say to two vegans in such a short conversation. I told him anytime he hears a celebrity over-generalizing like that, he really should have a warning light go off in his head and do more research.

I think at the next club meeting I'm going to make it a point to talk about vegan athletes.

"Thinkers may prepare revolutions, but bandits must carry them out"~
Ingrid Newkirk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#3212 Old 10-15-2016, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Symondezyn View Post
Keep your real friends and family close, share your feelings with them, and let them in on your life... and know you are not alone - there are lots of us here that know exactly how it feels and are here to help and support <3
I'm glad this is true, and I'm hopeful that I will reach some sort of equilibrium where people stop trying to feed me eggs in things.

So the thing I was recently taken aback by was at work. Two people saying stupid things (neither of them knowing, actually, that I have begun eating vegan myself).

Person One: My son wants to try 30 days vegan, but so much vegan food is bad for you. I don't let my kids eat soy, wheat, or chickpeas, and I definitely don't want them eating that processed fake food. I don't understand vegans.

Person Two: I know what you mean. If someone told me I had a choice: Stop eating cheese, or stop living, I would choose not to go on living. I can't live without cheese.
#3213 Old 10-15-2016, 06:38 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avril View Post
I'm glad this is true, and I'm hopeful that I will reach some sort of equilibrium where people stop trying to feed me eggs in things.

So the thing I was recently taken aback by was at work. Two people saying stupid things (neither of them knowing, actually, that I have begun eating vegan myself).

Person One: My son wants to try 30 days vegan, but so much vegan food is bad for you. I don't let my kids eat soy, wheat, or chickpeas, and I definitely don't want them eating that processed fake food. I don't understand vegans.

Person Two: I know what you mean. If someone told me I had a choice: Stop eating cheese, or stop living, I would choose not to go on living. I can't live without cheese.
What the f...?
tpkyteroo luebeck and Riuma like this.

"We have enslaved the rest of the animal creation, and have treated our distant cousins in fur and feathers so badly that beyond doubt, if they were able to formulate a religion, they would depict the Devil in human form." - William Ralphe Inge

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#3214 Old 10-15-2016, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessandreia View Post
What the f...?
Too many carbs/not paleo, I think?

Absurdity is all over this woman's diet. Her lunch typically consists of hard boiled eggs and an avocado with salt. She eats the least varied diet of anyone I've ever met. She also sings the praises of bacon and brags about the vast quantities they go through in her household every morning.
#3215 Old 10-18-2016, 10:53 AM
Plant Powered

Quote:
Too many carbs/not paleo, I think?

Absurdity is all over this woman's diet. Her lunch typically consists of hard boiled eggs and an avocado with salt. She eats the least varied diet of anyone I've ever met. She also sings the praises of bacon and brags about the vast quantities they go through in her household every morning.
That sounds like a low carber for sure. IDK if Paleo peeps eat bacon - it's highly processed. But Atkins peeps do. Hello Heart Attack City LOL. I can't fathom a world where someone thinks bacon is more healthy than chickpeas
#3216 Old 10-20-2016, 02:08 PM
adapt. evolve. become

My mom was saying how she didn't like the fact that someone she knows was getting his dog high. She said it was wrong because animals can't consent to getting high. She said it isn't good to get anyone high against their will. That's true, no one should ever get high against their will.
Just irritating to hear that coming from someone who eats animals. They surely never consented to becoming dinner, and of course she's wearing leather boots while saying this. She said that's different.
Riuma likes this.

All we are is dust in the wind

Last edited by Pirate Huntress; 10-20-2016 at 02:11 PM.
#3217 Old 10-21-2016, 01:03 PM
Veggie Regular

This is a menu from a nearby cooking school which has a cafe. Look very carefully at all the things in RED.
Fall 2016

Hours: Monday thru Friday 11:00 AM to 12:50 PM (last seating).

“Fast Casual Fare”

Starters and Salads

Soup of the Day $3

Alki Beet Salad V
Lightly pickled organic beets, citrus supreme, herbed goat cheese, fresh greens
$3/$5

Simple Salad V
Baby organic lettuces from Willie Greens Farms, candied pecans, bleu cheese, balsamic vinaigrette
$3

Main Entrées

Chicken Marsala
Sautéed chicken cutlet simmered in mushroom-sherry sauce with potato puree and vegetable du jour
$6

Falafel Burger V
Crispy vegan falafel patty on a toasted roll with cucumber-mint yogurt sauce and served with house cutfries
$6

*Bistro Burger
Fresh ground beef chuck patty on a toasted roll with lettuce, red onion, house-made pickles, and garlic aioli served with house-cut fries
$6.50

Pasta of the Week
Ask your server for this week’s handmade pasta creation
$5.50

*Pan Seared Salmon GF
Succulent fresh salmon seared and served with roasted fall vegetables and citrus buerre blanc
$6.50

*Prix Fixe Menu
Starter, Main Entrée, Dessert
$12.95

V ~ Vegan G.F. ~ Gluten-Free

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#3218 Old 10-21-2016, 01:55 PM
Veggie Regular

While reading that I was thinking "The V probably means vegetarian not vegan", then I read the last part... oh.
Someone really needs to go and tell them dairy isn't vegan.
Purp and Riuma like this.

"We have enslaved the rest of the animal creation, and have treated our distant cousins in fur and feathers so badly that beyond doubt, if they were able to formulate a religion, they would depict the Devil in human form." - William Ralphe Inge

#3219 Old 10-21-2016, 02:58 PM
Super Moderator

WTF?! They clearly have no idea what that word means.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#3220 Old 10-21-2016, 02:59 PM
adapt. evolve. become

I'm guessing those aren't the vegan versions
Purp likes this.
#3221 Old 10-21-2016, 04:04 PM

So sorry, that does sound horrible. I'm with Werewolf, good for you sticking up for yourself and the animals!
Werewolf Girl and Purp like this.
#3222 Old 10-21-2016, 06:57 PM
Veggie Regular

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purp View Post
This is a menu from a nearby cooking school which has a cafe. Look very carefully at all the things in RED.
Fall 2016

Hours: Monday thru Friday 11:00 AM to 12:50 PM (last seating).

“Fast Casual Fare”

Starters and Salads

Soup of the Day $3

Alki Beet Salad V
Lightly pickled organic beets, citrus supreme, herbed goat cheese, fresh greens
$3/$5

Simple Salad V
Baby organic lettuces from Willie Greens Farms, candied pecans, bleu cheese, balsamic vinaigrette
$3

Main Entrées

Chicken Marsala
Sautéed chicken cutlet simmered in mushroom-sherry sauce with potato puree and vegetable du jour
$6

Falafel Burger V
Crispy vegan falafel patty on a toasted roll with cucumber-mint yogurt sauce and served with house cutfries
$6

*Bistro Burger
Fresh ground beef chuck patty on a toasted roll with lettuce, red onion, house-made pickles, and garlic aioli served with house-cut fries
$6.50

Pasta of the Week
Ask your server for this week’s handmade pasta creation
$5.50

*Pan Seared Salmon GF
Succulent fresh salmon seared and served with roasted fall vegetables and citrus buerre blanc
$6.50

*Prix Fixe Menu
Starter, Main Entrée, Dessert
$12.95

V ~ Vegan G.F. ~ Gluten-Free

Quote:
While reading that I was thinking "The V probably means vegetarian not vegan", then I read the last part... oh.
Someone really needs to go and tell them dairy isn't vegan.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf Girl View Post
WTF?! They clearly have no idea what that word means.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate Huntress View Post
I'm guessing those aren't the vegan versions
Werewolf Girl and Symondezyn like this.

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#3223 Old 10-21-2016, 07:43 PM
Veggie Regular

Sadly, it's not that uncommon to run across menu items labeled vegan that are clearly not. When I looked at these "vegan" menu choices, however, there is a possibility of taking away the non vegan items without changing the whole dish. The nonvegan items for these really seem more like "enhancers" or garnishes than the ingredient that makes the dish. So it would still be possible to leave them out. But I can certainly understand the frustration, and how this really confuses people.

I think if I were to go to that restaurant, I would bring my own vegan salad dressing, a creamy type, that would go well with some of those dishes lol.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#3224 Old 10-22-2016, 05:35 PM
Veggie Regular

Came across this YouTube comment:

"I'm a vegetarian but I only eat meat that is not from the store and I eat meat if I know the person who killed it"

Bruh...
Purp and Jasminedesi16 like this.

#3225 Old 10-22-2016, 06:49 PM
99% Vegan

Quote:
How to respond to going to an animal blessing, then going out for brunch and being surrounded by people eating eggs, dairy, and meat?? Oh, the irony.
That is why I could never bring myself to go to an animal blessing ceremony. I kept thinking about all those owners of those animals, who were mostly against veg*n diets.
Purp likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Allergic99%Vegan
#3226 Old 10-23-2016, 12:00 AM
Veggie Regular

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpkyteroo luebeck View Post
That is why I could never bring myself to go to an animal blessing ceremony. I kept thinking about all those owners of those animals, who were mostly against veg*n diets.
That's when the doctor story gets trotted out, as in, "The doctor said I was getting too much irony in my diet and I had to cut out eggs, dairy and meat."

#3227 Old 10-23-2016, 08:07 PM
adapt. evolve. become

Quote:

"I'm a vegetarian but I only eat meat that is not from the store and I eat meat if I know the person who killed it"

Bruh...
As long as you personally know the killer, it's fine.
Purp likes this.

#3228 Old 10-24-2016, 12:33 PM
99% Vegan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Symondezyn View Post
That sounds like a low carber for sure. IDK if Paleo peeps eat bacon - it's highly processed. But Atkins peeps do. Hello Heart Attack City LOL. I can't fathom a world where someone thinks bacon is more healthy than chickpeas
Unfortunately, the Paleo diet allows all Pork as "healthy". Whatever a pig eats, you eat. How they have determined this is healthy is beyond me! I know he tested it on himself, and felt fine, there for it great but still. :P

Chickpeas as unhealthy? I hope her son successfully goes Vegan.
Riuma likes this.

Allergic99%Vegan
#3229 Old 10-24-2016, 12:34 PM
99% Vegan

Quote:
That's when the doctor story gets trotted out, as in, "The doctor said I was getting too much irony in my diet and I had to cut out eggs, dairy and meat."
That is way too funny! I love it! My doctor would get a kick out of that one too. He leans towards Vegan, but isn't vegan.
Purp likes this.

Allergic99%Vegan
#3230 Old 10-30-2016, 03:45 AM
adapt. evolve. become

My mom said that I will never have friends unless I respect that other people eat animals.
Being alone is for the most part preferable, although sometimes I enjoy being around people... and yeah if I see them eating animals, I'll lose respect for them.
She can lecture me about tolerance all she wants, it's still morally wrong to kill animals for food. It's not an opinion, it's a fact. And I don't have to feel bad about wanting to be alone.
At least when you're alone, you don't have to get into meaningless arguments that only result in hurt feelings.

Last edited by Pirate Huntress; 10-30-2016 at 04:22 AM.
#3231 Old 10-30-2016, 07:31 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
My mom said that I will never have friends unless I respect that other people eat animals.
Being alone is for the most part preferable, although sometimes I enjoy being around people... and yeah if I see them eating animals, I'll lose respect for them.
She can lecture me about tolerance all she wants, it's still morally wrong to kill animals for food. It's not an opinion, it's a fact. And I don't have to feel bad about wanting to be alone.
At least when you're alone, you don't have to get into meaningless arguments that only result in hurt feelings.
Your mom disrespects people for her own reasons, everyone does! People talk behind their friends back when they do or say things they disagree with- that's normal. Not respecting everything about people does not mean you can't overall like them. It's only when you disavow people that makes you not have friends.
Like the difference between being prejudiced and judgemental.

I'm so tired of all these health concious, non gmo, organic folks with their need to eat meat. I find l get sucked into food talk thinking we're on the same opinion, then getting into fights about about meat. Stupid people should eat their arms

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#3232 Old 11-21-2016, 02:33 PM
Look ma! No hooves!

Was just at a restaurant with a friend and her wife and had to order the salad (surprise surprise! It was the only vegan option of course) and asked which dressings were vegan (luckily they had some, but she almost told me that the bleu cheese one was, then corrected herself. Then she asked if I wanted anything on the salad and suggested the fish option... All I said was, no I'm vegan and ate my sad salad with vinaigrette.

*le sigh*
Purp likes this.

Carnist: Someone who kills animals and then takes from their bodies.
Vegetarian: Someone who takes from animals' bodies, and then kills them when they are no longer profitable.
Vegan: Someone who tries to avoid unnecessary harm to animals as much as is possible and practicable.
#3233 Old 12-10-2016, 02:56 PM
From Le Dergoncave

Quote:

Wow. Sounds like those two need to stop subscribing to fake science.
#3234 Old 12-10-2016, 03:00 PM
From Le Dergoncave

Quote:

Bruh...
The proper term is flexitarian.
Purp likes this.
#3235 Old 12-10-2016, 03:09 PM
Veggie Regular

Cool

Quote:

Bruh...
Quote:
As long as you personally know the killer, it's fine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riuma View Post
The proper term is flexitarian.
No, the correct term is heartless moron.
Riuma and BlueMts like this.

#3236 Old 12-24-2016, 03:57 AM

Quote:
came across this youtube comment:

"i'm a vegetarian but i only eat meat that is not from the store and i eat meat if i know the person who killed it"

bruh...
wtf!!!

#3237 Old 04-09-2017, 11:35 PM
Veggie Regular

A friend's Facebook post (I really can't make this up).
OP
Remember, live plants know they're being eaten alive.
LikeShow more reactionsCommentShare
3 3
Comments
Friend How does one kill them before consumption? :P
Like · Reply · 12 hrs
Friend nvm.. Like We do to Lobsters!! :P
Like · Reply · 12 hrs

OP Whereas, we knock animals unconscious first. Most animals.
Like · Reply · 12 hrs

Friend Cutting a chicken head off is all the craze!! They keep dancing for a min..
Like · Reply · 12 hrs
OP I wonder if the head has any clue what happened.
Like · Reply · 12 hrs
Friend The body does.. "where did my head go?"
Like · Reply · 1 · 12 hrs
OP
http://modernfarmer dot com/.../10/plants-can-tell-theyre-eaten/

Plants Can Tell When They're Being Eaten - Modern Farmer
MODERNFARMER.COM
Like · Reply · 12 hrs
Friend If you think I will stop eating veggies you sir are wrong..
Like · Reply · 1 · 12 hrs

Friend's Dog Arf!!!!
Unlike · Reply · 2 · 12 hrs
Me Would you rather see a video of someone harvesting their garden or slaughtering an animal? https://www.theatlantic.com/.../a-spy-in-the.../258110/

A Spy in the Slaughterhouse
Wanting to see how meat is killed and processed on the industrial scale, Timothy Pachirat posed as a plant…
THEATLANTIC.COM
Like · Reply · Remove Preview · 9 hrs
OP I've slaughtered animals, and I've watched them slaughtered. I've also seen the propaganda videos and articles that are exceptions to the norm. Just because you are shocked by one thing and not by another doesn't make either of them better or worse. We are omnivores. To survive we kill. I'd have no problem eating vat grown meat though, if it was cheaper, or somehow better in some other way.
Like · Reply · 9 hrs
OP Personally, I prefer chicken, and chickens are the key to ending starvation worldwide. They'll grow anywhere. They'll thrive on things we can't eat. And, they're pretty easy to catch.
Like · Reply · 9 hrs
Friend Cows eat grass then grow to huge sizes then We kill and eat them. Chickens are tasty too. Yeah vegan is not in my DNA. Sorry animals!! You're just too tasty.
Like · Reply · 8 hrs

Just before I left Facebook tonight, my post was, I wonder how many of my plant rights activists friends have seen Earthlings?
BlueMts likes this.

#3238 Old 04-11-2017, 08:59 PM
Super Moderator

Wow, there's not a lot you can say to people like that.
Purp likes this.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#3239 Old 04-11-2017, 11:29 PM
Veggie Regular

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf Girl View Post
Wow, there's not a lot you can say to people like that.
Nope. I'm pretty sure none of my plant right activists friends would ever watch Earthlings, though. :/

#3240 Old 04-18-2017, 08:14 PM
From Le Dergoncave

"I'm a vegan between meals."

*Facepalm*
Purp and David3 like this.

Tags
Vegan-Lifestyle , Vegetarian-Lifestyle , vegan-food

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in