Stupid Things Omnivores Say, Version 6.0 - Page 107 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 1957Likes

#3181 Old 06-23-2016, 04:13 AM

Hey there!

So I just started a new job and am drowning in a sea of stupid comments already. What's the dumbest most ridiculous thing a meat eater has said to you? Not the standard stuff but like when my co worker asked if I can eat raspberries.... x
Purp likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#3182 Old 06-23-2016, 03:33 PM
Lifelong vegetarian

What is wrong with raspberries?

My usual answer: I have never heard a convincing reason to eat meat.
#3183 Old 06-23-2016, 04:01 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by @rno View Post
Plants have feelings.
Purp likes this.

"We have enslaved the rest of the animal creation, and have treated our distant cousins in fur and feathers so badly that beyond doubt, if they were able to formulate a religion, they would depict the Devil in human form." - William Ralphe Inge

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#3184 Old 06-23-2016, 04:26 PM
Veggie Regular

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola1993 View Post
Hey there!

So I just started a new job and am drowning in a sea of stupid comments already. What's the dumbest most ridiculous thing a meat eater has said to you? Not the standard stuff but like when my co worker asked if I can eat raspberries.... x
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessandreia View Post
Plants have feelings.
No, @Lola1993 can't eat them because I ate them first.
LedBoots likes this.

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.

Last edited by Purp; 06-23-2016 at 04:29 PM.
#3185 Old 06-23-2016, 04:58 PM
Plant Powered

Quote:
Plants have feelings.
my mum actually said that to me... while defending her right to eat bacon *sigh* lol
Purp likes this.
#3186 Old 06-24-2016, 01:30 PM

A coworker tried to tell me that animals don't feel pain like we do. SMH REALLY??? The ignorance is baffling. Geez.
Purp likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Facebook:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Instagram:
#3187 Old 06-25-2016, 01:56 AM
Lifelong vegetarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrianne Gonzalez View Post
A coworker tried to tell me that animals don't feel pain like we do. SMH REALLY??? The ignorance is baffling. Geez.
That is correct. When we feel pain, we can think that it will be over within a few hours. Or we can take some medicin or go to the hospital.

An animal feels pain at that same moment and doesn't have the expectation that it will be cured within short time.
So the pain than an animal has, is much worse.

#3188 Old 07-31-2016, 01:25 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
That is correct. When we feel pain, we can think that it will be over within a few hours. Or we can take some medicin or go to the hospital.

An animal feels pain at that same moment and doesn't have the expectation that it will be cured within short time.
So the pain than an animal has, is much worse.
That's so sad...

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#3189 Old 08-01-2016, 08:52 AM
Lifelong vegetarian

Children (singing) on a school trip to Disneyland: "We are almost there, we are almost there, we are almost, but not quite".
Pigs on a trip to a slaughterhouse: "Where are we going, where are we going, where are we going. Nobody tells us. Where are we going???"

(Sorry, not a thread subject)

#3190 Old 08-08-2016, 12:02 AM
Veggie Regular

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#3191 Old 08-09-2016, 08:37 PM
cinnamon bun

My omni butcher boyfriend getting mad at me for not looking after our plant, "IT'S A LIVING BEING!!!"
Purp and PaperPinWheel like this.

#3192 Old 08-10-2016, 11:57 AM

"yeah I basically eat Vegetarian....**proceeds to undermine original statement**"

Things omnivores have said to me recently:

"Oh, you don't cook meat? Hm. Well, I can see that, I mean I'm basically vegetarian. This morning I had cereal with lactaid milk on it and a piece of turkey sausage. But for lunch i had just an avocado, a cucumber and some lunch meat. "

Me: ::inner sigh::
#3193 Old 08-10-2016, 09:29 PM
Veggie Regular

Heard on a baseball game.
TV Reporter 1: "Prince Fielder is retiring."
TV Reporter 2 : "I can't believe he's a vegetarian."

#3194 Old 08-10-2016, 09:35 PM
Vegan since 1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by meg moo View Post
My omni butcher boyfriend
This sounds like an interesting household!

Purp likes this.

_________

Specific recommendations for a healthy diet include: eating more fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts and grains; cutting down on salt, sugar and fats. It is also advisable to choose unsaturated fats, instead of saturated fats and towards the elimination of trans-fatty acids."
- United Nations' World Health Organization
http://www.who.int/topics/diet/en/
#3195 Old 08-11-2016, 07:28 AM
Bean Queen

Went out to eat to a place that based their meals off of pork. I had a feeling there wouldn't be much for me, even after asking the first waitress if there was anything that could be modified. My boyfriend's cousin tried to make a joke, "If there's nothing on the menu, you could try the lamb burger. It was probably killed earlier on... so less suffering." I mean I've heard a lot of people defending themselves for their choices, but not many who would make a joke about it to my face. He seemed embarrassed immediately and apologized after his wife said something, but I still cried once I got to the car. Really hard to shake that one off.
#3196 Old 08-16-2016, 10:02 PM
Veggie Regular

I've been a vegetarian since age 16, and a vegan for 2 years. Everyone at my job as known me for 7 years or less. At no point in any of that time have I consumed any meat. And it is well known now that I do not consume any animal products. I quit participating in potluck days at work over a year before I went vegan because of the absurd lack of any veg options. I would eat what I brought.... and maybe potato chips. Between that and irate people if you took two handfuls of potato chips instead of one, I decided it was absolutely not worth it for me to participate. If they want to eat buffalo chicken dip over meatballs with sausage links, they will do it with me on the other side of the building doing actual work.

I live with my man (an omni) and our roommate (a vegan). The longstanding arrangement (going back years to when my man had no income and he was crashing with me while I paid for everything) was that he was welcome to eat what he wanted, but I didn't want meat cooked in my home stinking the place up. He pays for more things now and is on the lease, but now he's outnumbered. He bought some frozen ground beef on a road trip and brought it home. I reminded him there are several places he could certainly cook it including my church kitchen, the neighbor's kitchen, or outside on a grill, but I didn't want the smell in the house. He got whiny and said it's not fair he can't do what he wants in his own home. I said it's not fair I should have to put up with a stinky home, either. I kept the ethics out of it because I'm feeling especially anti-omni lately and it could have gotten ugly fast. I did rearrange the freezer while he was gone cooking to make space for his containers of cooked meat and actual food.

A friend told me recently that she respects my choice to be a vegan, but I have to learn to respect other people's choices and not shame people for what they do. That was prompted by me noting that an internet meme that included a child with a recently-caught fish might not be the epitome of childhood awesomeness.

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
#3197 Old 08-17-2016, 10:12 AM
Plant Powered

@Skylark , I feel for you My husband is omni too but he is happy to eat vegan at home with me, particularly since I do the cooking. Our arrangement is that if he wants non-vegan food, he can get takeout and bring it home but I don't want non-vegan food in my kitchen, and we never buy non-vegan grocery items. What's helped greatly is showing him that vegan food can satisfy his cravings for meat and cheese quite satisfactorily. I hope you and your man can find a happy living arrangement, and I commend you for being so open minded; I would not feel very good about having meaty things in my freezer <3

Recently my mom (who is a very intelligent woman, so I was pretty surprised at the ignorance of this statement/question) noted to me that she didn't understand why when vegans give up animal based foods, they seek to replace them with vegan substitutes... why not just eat the "real thing"? My response was, "because we don't give them up because we don't like them, we give them up because they are cruel. If you can eat your favourite foods without cruelty, the question isn't why would you, but why WOULDN'T you??
Purp likes this.
#3198 Old 09-22-2016, 01:26 AM
adapt. evolve. become

Someone I know gets excited whenever she thinks I'm eating meat or dairy. Calls what I eat "fake food", because it was made out of plants instead of animals or their secretions. When I told her it was vegan, she said she would have been happy that I was finally "growing up".
I grew OUT of dairy. It wasn't easy, but that day finally came where I didn't have to feel guilty anymore, that I could finally be consistent and not give up. Not for convenience, taste, or social reasons. It took me three years. Three years of trying and failing.
Purp, Symondezyn and PaperPinWheel like this.

All we are is dust in the wind

Last edited by Pirate Huntress; 09-22-2016 at 01:30 AM.
#3199 Old 09-22-2016, 10:47 AM
Plant Powered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate Huntress View Post
Someone I know gets excited whenever she thinks I'm eating meat or dairy. Calls what I eat "fake food", because it was made out of plants instead of animals or their secretions. When I told her it was vegan, she said she would have been happy that I was finally "growing up".
I grew OUT of dairy. It wasn't easy, but that day finally came where I didn't have to feel guilty anymore, that I could finally be consistent and not give up. Not for convenience, taste, or social reasons. It took me three years. Three years of trying and failing.
I notice that too sometimes - as soon as someone finds out you're veg*n they are analyzing everything you eat hoping to find a slip - it's so weird. There's also a stigma around dairy that it's so "good for you" - it's a very prevalent belief that most people have due to aggressive advertising by the dairy industry. My husband isn't vegan but he's lactose intolerant and brings Daiya cheese to work so he can have it instead of regular cheese. One of the chefs is constantly nagging him that it isn't "natural" so I told him to ask the chef if he thinks drinking another animal's breast milk is "natural" LOL. He doesn't grill them about their diets, so IMO they're asking for it when they attack him for his choices :P Congrats on your journey! <3
Purp and PaperPinWheel like this.
#3200 Old 09-22-2016, 03:40 PM
adapt. evolve. become

Many people quit when things get tough. I never want to be that person. I just hope if things do get harder, that I'll have the strength to continue doing the right thing, even if it feels like I have no support. Ex veg*n stories scare me. I think many people tend to quit after 10, 15 or 20 years.
It feels easy now, but what about years from now? Will it still feel just as easy? I hope so. There are things that are hard, and that's dealing with it socially and emotionally. How others can be so blind and hateful towards veganism. I'm a loner anyway.
Werewolf Girl, Purp and Symondezyn like this.

All we are is dust in the wind

Last edited by Pirate Huntress; 09-22-2016 at 04:05 PM.
#3201 Old 09-23-2016, 11:11 AM
Plant Powered

Quote:
Many people quit when things get tough. I never want to be that person. I just hope if things do get harder, that I'll have the strength to continue doing the right thing, even if it feels like I have no support. Ex veg*n stories scare me. I think many people tend to quit after 10, 15 or 20 years.
It feels easy now, but what about years from now? Will it still feel just as easy? I hope so. There are things that are hard, and that's dealing with it socially and emotionally. How others can be so blind and hateful towards veganism. I'm a loner anyway.
One thing that kind of shocked me was that while making the change in my own life was easier than expected, the social aspect of it was a lot harder. People do shun you, and treat you differently, and it can be VERY challenging at times; I still go through times where I feel lonely and alienated. I suspect this is the real reason people "go back". Keep your real friends and family close, share your feelings with them, and let them in on your life... and know you are not alone - there are lots of us here that know exactly how it feels and are here to help and support <3
Werewolf Girl and Purp like this.
#3202 Old 09-25-2016, 10:43 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Symondezyn View Post
One thing that kind of shocked me was that while making the change in my own life was easier than expected, the social aspect of it was a lot harder. People do shun you, and treat you differently, and it can be VERY challenging at times; I still go through times where I feel lonely and alienated. I suspect this is the real reason people "go back". Keep your real friends and family close, share your feelings with them, and let them in on your life... and know you are not alone - there are lots of us here that know exactly how it feels and are here to help and support <3
This is so true! I also think that's why finding communities like Veggieboards is SO important, being able to talk to other people who really get it helps so much.

I'm very stubborn about my beliefs and pretty good at arguing so all my non-vegan friends and family leave me alone about it and even get influenced by me sometimes. A long-time friend of mine recently went vegan and so did my little brother, sometimes it can take years but if you stick with it you'd be surprised how much just living by example can change the people around you.
Purp and Symondezyn like this.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#3203 Old 09-26-2016, 01:37 PM
Veggie Regular

Cool

Quote:
This gentleman nailed it right on the head.
Werewolf Girl likes this.

#3204 Old 10-02-2016, 04:24 PM
Veggie Regular

How to respond to going to an animal blessing, then going out for brunch and being surrounded by people eating eggs, dairy, and meat?? Oh, the irony.
tpkyteroo luebeck and Shayne like this.

#3205 Old 10-02-2016, 05:01 PM

I didn't go through any of the replies so these might have been said already, but this is what I got haha " You need meat to get your protein in " or " You're a vegan? so what do you eat hahahaha ? " or " You seem mad, I think you need a burger " or " It's the cycle of life! I don't feel bad about the animals dying! " or " Our teeth are sharp so we are meant to eat meat " I can go on and on... lol
Purp and tpkyteroo luebeck like this.
#3206 Old 10-02-2016, 06:20 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shayne View Post
I didn't go through any of the replies so these might have been said already, but this is what I got haha " You need meat to get your protein in " or " You're a vegan? so what do you eat hahahaha ? " or " You seem mad, I think you need a burger " or " It's the cycle of life! I don't feel bad about the animals dying! " or " Our teeth are sharp so we are meant to eat meat " I can go on and on... lol
These are very common. I think meat-eaters go on Google and type "repetitive question and arguments against veganism".
Purp and tpkyteroo luebeck like this.

"We have enslaved the rest of the animal creation, and have treated our distant cousins in fur and feathers so badly that beyond doubt, if they were able to formulate a religion, they would depict the Devil in human form." - William Ralphe Inge

#3207 Old 10-02-2016, 08:24 PM

Quote:
These are very common. I think meat-eaters go on Google and type "repetitive question and arguments against veganism".
That wouldn't surprise me if most of them did that haha.
#3208 Old 10-08-2016, 01:59 PM
Super Moderator

I can't go in this thread too much because I'm worried if I roll my eyes too much they'll stay that way...
Purp, Symondezyn, CaGoldi and 1 others like this.

#3209 Old 10-12-2016, 04:45 PM
Plant Powered

"why is honey in your skincare bad? you don't eat it do you?"

I can't even...
tpkyteroo luebeck and CaGoldi like this.
#3210 Old 10-12-2016, 09:47 PM
Veggie Regular

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf Girl View Post
I can't go in this thread too much because I'm worried if I roll my eyes too much they'll stay that way...
I'm always afraid my eyes will roll too loudly, and people many states away will hear that.

Tags
Vegan-Lifestyle , Vegetarian-Lifestyle , vegan-food

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in