Stupid Things Omnivores Say, Version 6.0 - Page 106 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 1957Likes

#3151 Old 04-19-2016, 07:48 AM

My sister asked me the other day if I was going "full vegan" and if I was no longer going to shave my armpits and legs.

On another note, my neighbor upon learning I was going vegan, he said "By full vegan, do you mean no eggs?". When I said that yes, it meant no eggs, he then asked the age old question of protein and where I was going to get it from.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#3152 Old 04-20-2016, 08:17 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaitie813 View Post
My sister asked me the other day if I was going "full vegan" and if I was no longer going to shave my armpits and legs.

On another note, my neighbor upon learning I was going vegan, he said "By full vegan, do you mean no eggs?". When I said that yes, it meant no eggs, he then asked the age old question of protein and where I was going to get it from.

Everyone knows your armpit hair has feelings and gets VERY upset when you shave it. Not vegan!

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#3153 Old 04-21-2016, 11:29 AM

I get annoyed when people contradict themselves.
I got in a general conversation with a guy about how we should help the weaker ones that are in need, that our job is not to judge, but to help others (he shared a photo with this message, so I replied to it in a general way, not mentioning the animals and veganism directly). And he completely agreed with me, that yes, we must help everyone, what a beautiful thing to say, when I told him that people resist my arguments and don't listen to what I have to say he said that people shouldn't do that, they should give me a chance and stuff.
Then I told him I was talking about animals, that we should help them, that it's the reason I stopped eating animal products and he completely changed his mind, like oh, this is another situation, that he can't stop eating meat "because of the food chain", he says, but that's why he prays for the meat he eats and all kinds of bull****.
Really? I just said that praying doesn't help them at all and the ones who want to help will do something real to help.
Some people are such hypocrites...
Purp and wildflowerliz like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#3154 Old 04-21-2016, 12:31 PM
The Corpulent Vegan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chou View Post
Some people are such hypocrites...
This is caused by a psychological concept, namely "cognitive dissonance." When the brain is faced with information that contradicts long held beliefs and habits, it causes a knee-jerk defensive reaction as the brain scrambles to justify the old pathways.

That's a way oversimplified version, but don't take it too personally. The ones that are willing to listen are those we can work on, and others will find their way. I did a post on conversational techniques not too long ago, if you want to see some ways these interactions can go better for you, but this guy sounds like he's pretty set in his ways.
Chou, wildflowerliz and Symondezyn like this.

It's better to burn out than fade away! - Def Leppard

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#3155 Old 04-21-2016, 02:01 PM
adapt. evolve. become

Someone told me their friend is half vegan because they eat veggie burgers, veggie dogs, lol.. Then someone else says it's either one or the other, but it's vegetarians that eat meat sometimes.
Purp likes this.

All we are is dust in the wind
#3156 Old 04-22-2016, 07:13 AM
Lifelong vegetarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chou View Post
"because of the food chain"
That is a very important role ......... for lions.

My usual answer: I have never heard a convincing reason to eat meat.
#3157 Old 04-22-2016, 12:31 PM
Veggie Regular

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate Huntress View Post
Someone told me their friend is half vegan because they eat veggie burgers, veggie dogs, lol.. Then someone else says it's either one or the other, but it's vegetarians that eat meat sometimes.
Which half, their left half or their right half? Maybe it's their top half or bottom half that's vegan...

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#3158 Old 04-23-2016, 04:09 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf Girl View Post

Everyone knows your armpit hair has feelings and gets VERY upset when you shave it. Not vegan!
Totally sentient
Werewolf Girl, Purp and Shallot like this.
#3159 Old 04-23-2016, 07:14 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm vegan and on the occasion get comments from my fam. Pops tried to get me to eat a hot dog but he knew I wasn't having that.
danakscully64, Purp and David3 like this.

"With confidence, you have won before you have started" - Marcus Garvey
#3160 Old 04-24-2016, 11:00 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkwolf View Post
I'm vegan and on the occasion get comments from my fam. Pops tried to get me to eat a hot dog but he knew I wasn't having that.
You should show him the video (at least one that I'm aware of) that shows how hot dogs are made.
David3 likes this.

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#3161 Old 04-30-2016, 07:59 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purp View Post
You should show him the video (at least one that I'm aware of) that shows how hot dogs are made.
Yes you are so right OMG! Like I have tried that but he walks away., We were watching the movie "Fast Food Nation" and the small clip they showed at the end of what cows go through at the slaughterhouse made him get up and leave. It's crazy but people much rather turn a blind eye then to face the truth. Stay comfortable in their ignorance.
Purp, David3 and wildflowerliz like this.

"With confidence, you have won before you have started" - Marcus Garvey
#3162 Old 05-10-2016, 06:33 PM
Veggie Regular

That stuff Vegan Sidekick posts it's real, guys. Just saw one with my own eyes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Snitch-A.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	163.5 KB
ID:	14689  
Attached Images

Purp likes this.

"We have enslaved the rest of the animal creation, and have treated our distant cousins in fur and feathers so badly that beyond doubt, if they were able to formulate a religion, they would depict the Devil in human form." - William Ralphe Inge

#3163 Old 05-11-2016, 04:10 AM
Lifelong vegetarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessandreia View Post
Does he eat babies?
silva and Purp like this.

#3164 Old 05-11-2016, 05:14 AM
an irregular

I wonder if the person who said '... why i shouldn't turn it into bacon' has ever actually killed a living thing and processed it into pork parts?

the thing that always gets me when i hear people give the hypothetical deserted island scenario, is who are these people who must liken themselves to the Swiss Family Robinsons or Crocodile Dundee and they imagine they can just go out and easily catch an actual wild animal that's evolved to not be caught by real predators. now imagine the typical internet troll who cant just go to the local grocery store to pick up a package of pork, bacon, etc. , having to try to not only catch a wild boar who will willingly attack you, but also somehow kill it and disembody it enough that they can eat it and not get maimed or killed by its tusks during the process. i know i wouldn't know what to do to and even if i did manage to catch some sort of small animal, i 1) probably wouldn't be able to purposely kill something and 2)even if i could kill it somehow, i don't know the first thing about how to take it apart and would probably just get nauseous and cover myself in vomit.

i do think i could catch some berries or leaves
Naturebound and David3 like this.

instagram: Popcorncaptain
#3165 Old 05-11-2016, 06:05 PM
Veggie Regular

And those dumb reality shows where people live in the Alaskan Tundra. Don't kid yourselves. Even people who have made an honest living way up in those remote places have arrangements with people who fly in every few months with supplies, which includes food. those reality shows are full of medical personnel, media people etc who all have supplies and are ready to intervene at any given moment.

Natives who live and forage on wild lands are very skilled at finding edible plants such as wild rice, mushrooms, grasses, seeds and nuts. They also know how to prepare them and store them for winter. Meat is not the only thing they rely on.
Purp and David3 like this.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#3166 Old 05-14-2016, 06:46 AM
adapt. evolve. become

It makes me wonder what type of life they're living where getting stuck on a deserted island is a real concern for them. I've never even been near an ocean.
Purp, LedBoots and David3 like this.

All we are is dust in the wind
#3167 Old 05-14-2016, 08:38 AM

Something my fiancé has been hearing a lot when he tells he friends and coworkers that he has gone vegan/plant-based for health reasons is "well we all have to die from something" or "everything gives you cancer" and those comments don't bother me but I wish had some better advice for a response that he could say to them! Any suggestions? He doesn't think they would care about the ethical or environmental issues whatsoever.
#3168 Old 05-14-2016, 09:05 AM
Vegan since 1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildflowerliz View Post
Something my fiancé has been hearing a lot when he tells he friends and coworkers that he has gone vegan/plant-based for health reasons is "well we all have to die from something" or "everything gives you cancer" and those comments don't bother me but I wish had some better advice for a response that he could say to them! Any suggestions? He doesn't think they would care about the ethical or environmental issues whatsoever.

Most people aren't interested in vegan health discussions, unless they are suffering from an illness that could be treated with better nutrition. Even people who ARE interested might be hesitant to discuss it with your husband (for fear of arguments).

Advice: As long as it's professionally-safe for him to do so, your husband could send Kaiser Permanente's Plant-Based Diet guide to any interested coworkers: https://share.kaiserpermanente.org/w...et-booklet.pdf . Kaiser Permanente is one of the largest health insurance companies in the United States, so your husband can feel assured that he is sending information from a reputable organization. Even if his coworkers aren't happy to receive the Guide, what can they say? After all, the information is coming from a mainstream health insurance company, not from an animal rights organization.

wildflowerliz likes this.

_________

Specific recommendations for a healthy diet include: eating more fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts and grains; cutting down on salt, sugar and fats. It is also advisable to choose unsaturated fats, instead of saturated fats and towards the elimination of trans-fatty acids."
- United Nations' World Health Organization
http://www.who.int/topics/diet/en/

Last edited by David3; 05-14-2016 at 10:25 AM.
#3169 Old 05-15-2016, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David3 View Post
Most people aren't interested in vegan health discussions, unless they are suffering from an illness that could be treated with better nutrition. Even people who ARE interested might be hesitant to discuss it with your husband (for fear of arguments).

Advice: As long as it's professionally-safe for him to do so, your husband could send Kaiser Permanente's Plant-Based Diet guide to any interested coworkers: https://share.kaiserpermanente.org/w...et-booklet.pdf . Kaiser Permanente is one of the largest health insurance companies in the United States, so your husband can feel assured that he is sending information from a reputable organization. Even if his coworkers aren't happy to receive the Guide, what can they say? After all, the information is coming from a mainstream health insurance company, not from an animal rights organization.

That's awesome!! Thank you so much!!!
#3170 Old 05-23-2016, 06:07 PM
Veggie Regular

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessandreia View Post
You should share this video with them. Just ignore the gamey goit at 1:10.
Bitter Orange likes this.

#3171 Old 06-06-2016, 09:54 AM
Super Moderator

MOD POST

I moved this thread back to the Vegetarian Support section. Post away

@rno and Purp like this.
#3172 Old 06-06-2016, 09:27 PM
Plant Powered

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildflowerliz View Post
dying is one thing - but what about while we're still alive? Quality of life means a lot to me, anyway! I want to be an active, healthy, vibrant old lady!! LOL ^_^ Vegans have exponentially lower risk of heart disease, stroke, and type 2 diabetes than omnis, so if they're planning on living a full and enjoyable life then vegan is the way to go ^_^
silva, Purp and wildflowerliz like this.
#3173 Old 06-15-2016, 09:35 AM
Veggie Regular

I started a new job 5 months ago, so I've gotten a couple of new ones...

them: what happened to Harambe the gorrilla is so sad, but it was to protect the child
me: I agree, but if zoos didn't exist in the first place, none of it would have happened. We need to learn to leave animals alone - no zoos, no farms.
them: but I like steak
---
them: any plans for the weekend?
me: yes! the vegfest - vegan festival is on this weekend.
them: oh ok! Yeah...I like steak too much (this was a different coworker, believe it or not)
---
them: the fish out in british columbia is so good! It's so fresh it's practically still half alive right as you're eating it.
---
same person as last one: but what about the Inuit people? It bothers me when people who get angry about meat-eating don't think about the Inuit. Eh? What would you tell them??
me: I wouldn't ask them to starve themselves, if that's what you're asking. As a vegan I care about all animals and that includes other humans. If it's a necessity, I understand, but the truth is most people have similar lives as you and me who have access to well-stocked grocery stores year-round.
---
same person again (and this is my personal favorite): so do you any chicken?
me: no, I don't eat any animals
them: but what about humans? Humans are animals too!!
me:....so it's a good thing I don't eat animals, then! What are you trying to say??
danakscully64 and Purp like this.
#3174 Old 06-17-2016, 03:42 AM
Lifelong vegetarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by azerea_02 View Post
---
same person as last one: but what about the Inuit people? It bothers me when people who get angry about meat-eating don't think about the Inuit. Eh? What would you tell them??
My answer would be: "When people are continuing eating meat, the Inuit will be able to grow their own vegetables soon. No more fish in the sea and no ice bears to hunt. Climat change you know."

#3175 Old 06-20-2016, 03:07 PM
Veggie Regular

Just saw someone preach about buying cosmetics that are not tested on animals...and post a picture of her dinner which - you guessed it - included meat.

I mean...I guess it's a step in the right direction but this stuff really frustrates me.
#3176 Old 06-21-2016, 10:25 AM
Plant Powered

This is not technically what someone said, but when I was in Starbucks this morning ordering my soy latte, the barista asked if I had a dairy allergy or if I just preferred the taste of soy. I answered "I do prefer the taste of soy, but I'm also vegan; I don't eat dairy". The look on his face was one of pure horror - I may as well have told him I like to eat babies
Purp, leedsveg and theCaityCat like this.
#3177 Old 06-21-2016, 04:56 PM

Most people in my circle are still either at the "Well I just need so much protein, I could never be vegan" stage or the "Well I don't eat *that* much meat, I'm all about whole foods!" stage of defensiveness. Dude, I didn't say anything about judging your food, all I said was that I don't eat animals. I'm Jewish, and Christians preaching haven't changed my mind. I'm not under any illusion that preaching to you will do any good. If you ask questions, I'll answer. Simple.
Purp likes this.
#3178 Old 06-21-2016, 08:32 PM
Veggie Regular

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Symondezyn View Post
This is not technically what someone said, but when I was in Starbucks this morning ordering my soy latte, the barista asked if I had a dairy allergy or if I just preferred the taste of soy. I answered "I do prefer the taste of soy, but I'm also vegan; I don't eat dairy". The look on his face was one of pure horror - I may as well have told him I like to eat babies
Show him a video of a dairy farm and then see what his face looks like.
Symondezyn likes this.

#3179 Old 06-23-2016, 02:34 AM

Hey there,
After a recent onslaught of anti vegan comments at my new job I was hoping you could all tell me the most ridiculous thing a meat eater has said to you? Not the standard 'where do you get your protein' but like when my boss said to me 'what, you even care about fish?' Or when my co worker said 'wait, can you eat raspberries?' Thanks! x
#3180 Old 06-23-2016, 02:43 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola1993 View Post
Hey there,
After a recent onslaught of anti vegan comments at my new job I was hoping you could all tell me the most ridiculous thing a meat eater has said to you? Not the standard 'where do you get your protein' but like when my boss said to me 'what, you even care about fish?' Or when my co worker said 'wait, can you eat raspberries?' Thanks! x
Hi Lola and welcome. This thread has, what, 3000+ stupid things omnivores have said.

Tags
Vegan-Lifestyle , Vegetarian-Lifestyle , vegan-food

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page