Stupid Things Omnivores Say, Version 6.0 - Page 104 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 1957Likes

#3091 Old 02-16-2016, 09:36 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post
You should check with the group, the restaurant may have a special menu planned. Our meetup does events at a regular restaurant that has a vegan chef- something like that.
This isn't a veggie meetup. It's a group based on one of my other interests. So I'm expecting it to be all meat eaters.

And as I said, I gave up on that one. I'm trying to broaden my horizons and find some new things to do after work on week nights once in a while, so I was looking up all my interests on Meetup.com, and found a few possibilities. This one caught my eye because their monthly meeting is this week, so I thought I might check it out, but ended up deciding not to. I found two other groups that seem more worthwhile instead.

--Fromper
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#3092 Old 02-17-2016, 02:15 AM

A work colleague just posted this in our work chat. Not sure what the intention was...
#3093 Old 02-17-2016, 09:28 AM
Lifelong vegetarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crouton View Post
I saw this in response for a comment on an article about a vegetarian restaurant yesterday. It's pretty damn stupid.
Please send me the evidence. It will be 83 years too late for my vegetarian sister.
Purp and Crouton like this.

My usual answer: I have never heard a convincing reason to eat meat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#3094 Old 02-22-2016, 04:50 PM
Veggie Regular

Found another cracker on FB today.

#3095 Old 02-22-2016, 08:30 PM
Veggie Regular

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crouton View Post
Found another cracker on FB today.

No souls??!! This dude's an idiot. Of course animals have souls.

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#3096 Old 02-22-2016, 09:05 PM
Veggie Regular

I love the part where he said animals were designed and made just for us. Like yeah, selective breeding over the years has produced factory farmed animal with specific traits for human use, but their ancestors were still naturally occurring animals. He makes it sound like cows were invented by humans just to eat.
#3097 Old 02-23-2016, 01:30 AM
Lifelong vegetarian

If they are made for us to eat, why do we have to hunt them (that is WORK!!)?
Purp likes this.

#3098 Old 02-25-2016, 02:03 PM
Chaotic Vegetarian

Friend of mine : Vegans are annoying. They make us feel bad about our behaviour.
Me : Uh. If you feel bad about something you do, maybe you can fix it rather than blaming the people who made you notice it.
Friend : Dude, I feel like you are manipulating me.

What do ? (and I'm not even a vegan)
Purp, Crouton and Thalassa4 like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Bon appétit !
#3099 Old 02-25-2016, 09:07 PM
Veggie Regular

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ad Elie View Post
Friend of mine : Vegans are annoying. They make us feel bad about our behaviour.
Me : Uh. If you feel bad about something you do, maybe you can fix it rather than blaming the people who made you notice it.
Friend : Dude, I feel like you are manipulating me.

What do ? (and I'm not even a vegan)
You: No, just pointing it out that there is something you can do. You can go to the library and borrow books on vegan health and nutrition (sec 613) and cookbooks (sec 641).
Ad Elie and Thalassa4 like this.

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#3100 Old 03-18-2016, 12:51 PM

"You'd better get some protein pills till you get over this phase."

"Ok, see you in a month, when you'll be having vertigo and you'll have lost your already little muscle mass."

- a good friend of mine, but he got on my nerves this day...
#3101 Old 03-18-2016, 01:03 PM

I was out with the group of classmates that I spend most time with, we get along pretty well usually, but we don't see eye to eye when it comes to food. So we were at a Japanese restaurant and one of my classmates is fasting because Easter is getting close and we are in the fasting period now. In Orthodox Christianity (which is the official religion of Romania), fasting means vegan, so no meat, dairy and eggs, basically nothing that comes from animals (although for an unknown reason to me, honey is allowed).
We were looking at the cheapest menu and there weren't many vegan possibilities. For my dish, I actually asked the waiter not to put meat in it, but this classmate, however, who always fasts in the fasting period, every year, just said she wanted some dish that contained shrimp. So I burst and said shrimp is not fasting food and she told me that it's actually considered fasting food and I was so outraged! How on Earth is shrimp not related to animals in any way?
I guess they would use anything for an excuse to eat animal stuff, saying "oh the church actually says it's okay". Well what's the point of fasting if you eat animals, then? I guess everyone has their own food choices, but don't tell me shrimp is okay for fasting.
I was so outraged, another classmate had to signal me to calm down.
Purp likes this.
#3102 Old 03-18-2016, 05:02 PM
Veggie Recycler

1) Plant based milks are basically just "flavored water"

2) I have an acquaintance who at least several times a week posts memes making fun of any kind of "new" nutrition. She's apparently blind to the propaganda that has been advertised in the meat and dairy industry since approximately 1930, so thinks she's being very witty and intelligent by mocking advertising related to foods such as kale - one recent meme said something like "kale contains more calcium than pebbles and is beefier than beef..."...is that supposed to be funny, it's like she imagines eating kale is some sort of crazy conspiracy to lie to people about proper nutrition

3) AND everyone's personal favorite, when people find out you are a vegetarian and respond "but I love meat I just couldn't give it up"...I've seen it carried to extreme even, like one lady said recently milk and chicken were upsetting her stomach after taking strong antibiotics, and complained she might starve or die... lm like um, actually lots of people live without milk or chicken, have you tried soy milk, peanut butter, or avacado to increase your fat/calories/protein?
Purp and cherries like this.
#3103 Old 03-18-2016, 05:25 PM
Veggie Recycler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chou View Post
I was out with the group of classmates that I spend most time with, we get along pretty well usually, but we don't see eye to eye when it comes to food. So we were at a Japanese restaurant and one of my classmates is fasting because Easter is getting close and we are in the fasting period now. In Orthodox Christianity (which is the official religion of Romania), fasting means vegan, so no meat, dairy and eggs, basically nothing that comes from animals (although for an unknown reason to me, honey is allowed).
We were looking at the cheapest menu and there weren't many vegan possibilities. For my dish, I actually asked the waiter not to put meat in it, but this classmate, however, who always fasts in the fasting period, every year, just said she wanted some dish that contained shrimp. So I burst and said shrimp is not fasting food and she told me that it's actually considered fasting food and I was so outraged! How on Earth is shrimp not related to animals in any way?
I guess they would use anything for an excuse to eat animal stuff, saying "oh the church actually says it's okay". Well what's the point of fasting if you eat animals, then? I guess everyone has their own food choices, but don't tell me shrimp is okay for fasting.
I was so outraged, another classmate had to signal me to calm down.

Um...I realize you're probably either Eastern or Russian Orthodox, but I know for a fact in the Greek Orthodox church invertibrates actually are considered fasting food - mussels and shrimp, in small quantities.
Purp likes this.
#3104 Old 03-20-2016, 01:08 PM
Veggie Regular

At church today.
Friend: Plants feel pain
Me: No they don't.
Friend: They secrete a hormone that let's them know they are going to be eaten. If you are doing this for ethic, you basically live on sunshine, air and water.
Me (TO MYSELF)

#3105 Old 03-20-2016, 01:38 PM
Bean Queen

Boyfriend: I think you're 10 years too early to become vegan. You should wait until there are more options.
(Which he has said before and even debated slightly. This time I ignored it.)
Me: Do you want rice, pasta, or potatoes for dinner tonight?
Boyfriend: Rice.
Me: So... Indian, Middle Eastern, Mexican...?
Boyfriend: Indian sounds nice.
Me: Lentils, black-eyed peas, chickpeas, seitan, eggplant?
Boyfriend: ...I feel like you're trying to tell me something.
Me: *smug-face*
Purp, LedBoots, veggie man and 3 others like this.
#3106 Old 03-20-2016, 10:21 PM
Veggie Regular

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBoxed View Post
Boyfriend: I think you're 10 years too early to become vegan. You should wait until there are more options.
(Which he has said before and even debated slightly. This time I ignored it.)
Me: Do you want rice, pasta, or potatoes for dinner tonight?
Boyfriend: Rice.
Me: So... Indian, Middle Eastern, Mexican...?
Boyfriend: Indian sounds nice.
Me: Lentils, black-eyed peas, chickpeas, seitan, eggplant?
Boyfriend: ...I feel like you're trying to tell me something.
Me: *smug-face*
It sounds like you live with this guy. My response is, if I'm old enough to live with my boyfriend, I'm old enough to make my own dietary choices.
Thalassa4 and BlackBoxed like this.

#3107 Old 03-20-2016, 11:33 PM
Happy vegan

I'm sure this has been posted a lot in here but I recently had what I thought was a very good friend suddenly say she doesn't need any more vegans in her life and that she's a proud meat eater and doesn't need to feel guilty about it. It occurred just because I reminded her I can't eat the cookies she was baking. I never talk about my veganism to others, especially her since she hunts for sport.

Also one time I mentioned how much I love the masala veggie burgers from Trader Joe's and she said "gross." To which I asked if she has even tried a veggie burger and her response was "no, too many veggies." Then I had to explain a veggie burger is not just a bunch of veggie smushed together.

Sigh.
Purp likes this.
#3108 Old 03-23-2016, 08:51 PM
adapt. evolve. become

I'm confused by this. Does he mean you're 10 years too young, or is it because there will be more vegan options in 10 years? The only way we are going to have more vegan options in 10 years if people go vegan now. *shrug* People were going vegan long before Daiya even existed, haha. Also, never too young.
someone who I know offered me and my mom cod fish and said it is vegan because they breathe under water
Purp and amira23 like this.

All we are is dust in the wind
#3109 Old 03-23-2016, 09:45 PM
Veggie Regular

Just think, waaaaaaaaaaaaaay back in 2009, when I was first trying to figure out veganism, I thought I was the biggest idiot in the universe. Then someone posted in here, and I thought they made it up so I wouldn't feel like an idiot...I didn't realize it was all true, that people thought and said these things.

#3110 Old 03-24-2016, 08:41 AM
adapt. evolve. become

ha like that one time I was told to eat meat for 5 years before getting pregnant, or else my baby would have birth defects or even die. I just noticed our join dates are very close
It would break my heart if I had a child and they decided to eat animal products.. :/
Purp likes this.

Last edited by Pirate Huntress; 03-24-2016 at 09:48 AM.
#3111 Old 03-24-2016, 12:59 PM

I go out with some coworkers and order the Vegan pizza that they have on the menu. Everyone's food arrives and they are like oh i get this what did you get? Im like oh i got the Vegan pizza which i have had before. One smug ass coworker was like "Ohh you got the sad Pizza!"

Im siting there thinking to my self "Really? Eat your pus/hormone/blood sauce (aka Cheese) covered macaroni and leave me alone."
Purp likes this.
#3112 Old 03-28-2016, 09:16 PM

I posted this on another thread when i first came here. I didnt know this existed so Im just going to post it here:

My best friend since 1st grade and i were at lunch. I told her I was thinking about going vegan than this is her response.
Me: Hey bae I think I'm gonna go vegan.
Friend: ......
Me:hello..
Friend: Well you are not going out anywhere with me then cause its gonna be to much work for me to cook a separate meal for you.
Me:\(〇_o)/...wtf
Friend: Anyway can you send me that black bean burger recipe it was really good.
Me: *turns around, ignores and mumbles under breath*
Friend: Hey other friend did you hear what I said to Animanga addict.
Friend 2: Yeah lol.
Wtf. I always respected her when she says: " Can you please not talk about my food I'm trying to eat!" Well a couple of days later she apologized and said she was sorry for speaking like that and respects my opinion. She said she wanted to try vegetarianism... Then some boy started listing all the foods she would be giving up and she just stared at me like I can't do it! Well at least she is supportive of me now.
Purp, LedBoots and Jenn2 like this.
#3113 Old 03-28-2016, 09:26 PM

Oh one of the boys at my school called me a hypocrite because I was eating a peanut butter and banana sandwich. He said :

Idiot: Hypocrite
Me: What?
Idiot: you are eating peanut butter and that is an animal!!
Me : What? What animal is peanut butter?
Idiot: I don't know...
Me : Then why are you saying it?
Idiot: Your still a hypocrite.
Me: To be honest I actually think you don't know what a hypocrite is.
Idiot: Yeah I do.
Me:What is it then?
Idiot:....
Me: that's what I thought. I continued happily munching on my sandwich.
I don't know if he was joking or being serious it is stuff like this that makes me lose hope in my generation
Purp likes this.

Last edited by animanga_addict; 03-28-2016 at 09:29 PM.
#3114 Old 03-29-2016, 02:11 PM
adapt. evolve. become

I could see someone thinking peanut butter has butter, but they'd be wrong. To think peanut butter is an animal...? Um... What?
someone told me they think veganism is a scam
Purp likes this.

Last edited by Pirate Huntress; 03-29-2016 at 02:13 PM.
#3115 Old 04-02-2016, 08:58 AM
Bean Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate Huntress View Post
I'm confused by this. Does he mean you're 10 years too young, or is it because there will be more vegan options in 10 years? The only way we are going to have more vegan options in 10 years if people go vegan now. *shrug* People were going vegan long before Daiya even existed, haha. Also, never too young.
someone who I know offered me and my mom cod fish and said it is vegan because they breathe under water
Mostly just the fact that he sees veganism as a movement that only now seems to be noticed by the greater population. He says that in 10 years the foods that I have to pass up now will probably be vegan (like your mac and cheese boxes or the garlic paste that has milk in it for no reason). This is also a topic that comes out frequently when going to restaurants specifically where I have to modify the one vegetarian dish or eat nothing. Which is true 10 years things will progress greatly. He just doesn't like that I have to pass these things up, hence the 'In 10 years' claim. He knows standing on the sidelines will never win the game. He's usually a logical person but that doesn't mean he can't still say silly things sometimes.

Especially like in my example, where we were at the store, and I named about 20 ingredients that were vegan lol
Pirate Huntress likes this.
#3116 Old 04-02-2016, 06:26 PM
adapt. evolve. become

I wonder what vegan products will be like in 10 years

#3117 Old 04-03-2016, 01:40 AM
Lifelong vegetarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate Huntress View Post
I wonder what vegan products will be like in 10 years

I think then you will see other products with the label "Warning: this product contains meat!!!!"

#3118 Old 04-03-2016, 07:23 AM
Bean Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by @rno View Post
I think then you will see other products with the label "Warning: this product contains meat!!!!"
Maybe not meat since that's kind of a small ingredient compared to how many animal products there are, but I would love it if both natural flavours weren't a thing and it was mandatory to have a little V logo in the corner. Much like how there's an official icon for non GMO products. To me that's dream right there.
Pirate Huntress likes this.
#3119 Old 04-03-2016, 02:18 PM
adapt. evolve. become

I could see there being better vegan cheese and meat alternatives in 10 years, but a meat warning label... Not sure. If everything was either labeled suitable for vegetarians, suitable for vegans, or not suitable for vegetarians or vegans that would be cool.

#3120 Old 04-03-2016, 05:55 PM
Veggie Regular

I went to a Free Thinkers meeting today and the speaker talked about climate change and ways to help the environment. I realize that the main topic and focus was on nuclear power and the benefits and risks of that, but he did briefly mention other means of combating negative climate change (solar power, windmills etc). The funny thing was, they serve breakfast there just before the presentation and call it "social hour". This morning they served...yes...bacon and eggs exclusively. So people were sitting all around me chowing down on heaps of bacon and eggs (while I tried not to gag) and listening to a presentation on how to combat climate change. Not once did anyone mention animal agriculture as a major contributor to pollution, carbon emissions, and climate change. I really wanted to say something but my social anxiety got the best of me in a room of over 50 people, non of whom I knew at all. I plan to email the speaker privately though.
Purp and LedBoots like this.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
Vegan-Lifestyle , Vegetarian-Lifestyle , vegan-food

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page