Stupid Things Omnivores Say, Version 6.0 - Page 103 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 1957Likes

#3061 Old 12-19-2015, 04:06 PM

So I just came accross an advertisement for a restaurant. It's originally an American restaurant that we have here, in Bucharest, called Oro Toro.
And they make really dumb and offensive advertisements, one of them goes like:
"Vegans, even our food eats better than you!"
And I thought that was so unnecessary, why would you advertise your food by throwing poison at something else? It's like "I'm better than you because eff you!" There's another advertisement going like:
"The perfect way to eat a salad: step 1. Feed the salad to an animal, step 2. Grill the meat", but that's not really offensive.
They only have negative comments from people about the first one, to which they responded that ther purpose is not to offend the vegan community, but only to emphasize that for them there is no better food than a well done full of meat burger. It really pissed me off because people say this kind of things to other people and think it's funny, they attack without any humanly logical reason in a very unnecessarily aggressive manner and then they say we are butthurt and that everything is offensive to us. How is this okay? I mean, saying bad words to someone is something, but advertising? I mean... there was a whole team of guys who approved of that message and it's legal and it's okay to advertise your stuff like that. I'm outraged...
Purp and Raskolnikova like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#3062 Old 12-20-2015, 05:07 PM

The most annoying thing I heard them always say is something like: ''Wow, you look like you care about living things by not eating them, but you still savagely eat plants.''
#3063 Old 12-20-2015, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prensi View Post
The most annoying thing I heard them always say is something like: ''Wow, you look like you care about living things by not eating them, but you still savagely eat plants.''

perhaps just say 'that only worries you because you're a vegetable.'

?
silva, Purp, LedBoots and 4 others like this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#3064 Old 12-20-2015, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blobbenstein View Post
perhaps just say 'that only worries you because you're a vegetable.'

?
Good idea actually. I'll tell them that next time in rhythm of MJ's ''Wanna be startin' something.''
#3065 Old 12-26-2015, 09:42 PM
Veggie Regular

Christmas was so hard. I brought my own vegan food to my aunt's house. My uncle looked at me like I was crazy and asked why I brought it and that no one wants to eat vegan food. These weren't weird foods either, it was a big mix of fruit, I made a veggie tray and a sweet potato dish. Then I was eating broccoli from the veggie tray and my cousin goes, "Wow are you seriously eating raw broccoli right now?! You are really taking this vegan thing to the extreme." Yeah because you know broccoli is so so extreme. I also had to sit through his girlfriend explaining how she caught all the shrimp/crabs that they were serving there. :S Then my aunt tried to tell my mom that being vegan is an eating disorder and she should try to get me to eat dairy. It was so embarrassing.
Purp, leedsveg, veggie man and 3 others like this.
#3066 Old 12-27-2015, 02:39 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasminedesi16 View Post
Christmas was so hard. I brought my own vegan food to my aunt's house. My uncle looked at me like I was crazy and asked why I brought it and that no one wants to eat vegan food. These weren't weird foods either, it was a big mix of fruit, I made a veggie tray and a sweet potato dish. Then I was eating broccoli from the veggie tray and my cousin goes, "Wow are you seriously eating raw broccoli right now?! You are really taking this vegan thing to the extreme." Yeah because you know broccoli is so so extreme. I also had to sit through his girlfriend explaining how she caught all the shrimp/crabs that they were serving there. :S Then my aunt tried to tell my mom that being vegan is an eating disorder and she should try to get me to eat dairy. It was so embarrassing.
That sounds awful, Jasmine. I'm so sorry!
Jasminedesi16 likes this.
#3067 Old 01-03-2016, 02:39 PM
Poo Pie Head

Ugh, a nice start to thread over on another forum I am on about what kinds of food humans could eat in Equestria (My Little Pony's world) that quickly turned in to the boiled down version of this entire thread.

https://mlpforums.com/topic/144977-w.../#entry4307402

I am Sapphire Lightning in there.

Why do threads that even have a hint at veg*n turn in to the dumping grounds of people who instantly become experts on nutrition??

Here are some excerpts:

True, it is possible to compensate for that with vegetarian and even vegan diets but a lot more difficult due to the fact that most vegetable proteins are incomplete proteins meaning they don't have ALL the necessary amino acids meaning that most people go into these diets not eating the right combinations of amino acids which is something meat eaters just don't have to think about as much since most meats are complete proteins.

and

I personally believe that vegans who go back to a basic diet because they got weak and deficient in nutrients, 99% of the time it was because they didn't eat enough, since they don't take into account the fact that the majority of plant based foods are a lot less nutritionally dense than animal products.

Last edited by ShadowKat; 01-03-2016 at 02:41 PM. Reason: Added content
#3068 Old 01-04-2016, 05:10 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowKat View Post
Ugh, a nice start to thread over on another forum I am on about what kinds of food humans could eat in Equestria (My Little Pony's world) that quickly turned in to the boiled down version of this entire thread.

https://mlpforums.com/topic/144977-w.../#entry4307402

I am Sapphire Lightning in there.

Why do threads that even have a hint at veg*n turn in to the dumping grounds of people who instantly become experts on nutrition??

Here are some excerpts:

True, it is possible to compensate for that with vegetarian and even vegan diets but a lot more difficult due to the fact that most vegetable proteins are incomplete proteins meaning they don't have ALL the necessary amino acids meaning that most people go into these diets not eating the right combinations of amino acids which is something meat eaters just don't have to think about as much since most meats are complete proteins.

and

I personally believe that vegans who go back to a basic diet because they got weak and deficient in nutrients, 99% of the time it was because they didn't eat enough, since they don't take into account the fact that the majority of plant based foods are a lot less nutritionally dense than animal products.
That last bit is fairly accurate, depending on what you mean by "nutritionally dense." Plant foods are higher in fibre vitamins than animal foods, but it takes a lot of kale to equal the number of calories in a small serving of hamburger, so it's possible for a new vegan to eat less than she needs without realizing it, especially if she's trying for a low-fat vegan diet. I have never had this problem personally, being a fan of large bowls of pasta with oil and garlic!
#3069 Old 01-04-2016, 08:23 AM
Poo Pie Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by no whey jose View Post
That last bit is fairly accurate, depending on what you mean by "nutritionally dense." Plant foods are higher in fibre vitamins than animal foods, but it takes a lot of kale to equal the number of calories in a small serving of hamburger, so it's possible for a new vegan to eat less than she needs without realizing it, especially if she's trying for a low-fat vegan diet. I have never had this problem personally, being a fan of large bowls of pasta with oil and garlic!
I don't know what they meant by it, but I was thinking that they meant stuff like vitamins which are abundant in plant foods. Plus how they refered to vegans becoming "weak". I dunno, the whole thread has strange ideas about what veg*ns eat. And yeah, I eat a diet more along what you eat, not very many salads for me.
no whey jose likes this.
#3070 Old 01-04-2016, 03:30 PM
Veggie Regular

Cool

Quote:
Then there's me. "Vegan? What's that? Are there any books on vegan nutrition I could read? How about cookbooks? Perhaps a forum where I could ask questions so as not to be rude or obtuse to the vegans in my life.
Jasminedesi16 likes this.

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#3071 Old 01-04-2016, 03:43 PM

Quote:
What does he mean no one wants to eat vegan food? You want to eat it, you're vegan. You were nice to bring something cooked by yourself and if no one wants it, then you'll eat it, lol.
#3072 Old 01-05-2016, 09:21 AM
Veggie Regular

Yeah Chou he was just being very rude.
#3073 Old 01-12-2016, 11:42 AM
Veggie Regular

From a blog I follow: http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendl...-new-atheists/

It's an atheist blog, and the blogger is vegetarian, but rarely mentions it. And when he does, the results in the comments are predictable, and mostly belong in this thread.

Part of me wants to respond there. I usually get along with the regular commenters on that blog, and enjoy talking to them there, which is why I'm tempted to try and set them straight. But I know it'll just be pointless and frustrating.

--Fromper
Purp and LedBoots like this.
#3074 Old 01-12-2016, 01:44 PM
Veggie Regular

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fromper View Post

It's an atheist blog, and the blogger is vegetarian, but rarely mentions it. And when he does, the results in the comments are predictable, and mostly belong in this thread.

Part of me wants to respond there. I usually get along with the regular commenters on that blog, and enjoy talking to them there, which is why I'm tempted to try and set them straight. But I know it'll just be pointless and frustrating.

--Fromper
So, set them straight anyway.
no whey jose likes this.

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#3075 Old 01-12-2016, 03:12 PM
No flesh since 99'

In response to the "outrageous" thought process that ALL domestic companion animals should have the right to a safe/clean enclosure, proper nutrition, clean water and can be removed if those basic things are not provided/ endangered species should not be caught in the wild and imported for pets (i.e. anti endangered species act laws)-

Quote:
"Animal rights activists HATE pets and want to take your pets away!"

Last edited by Kiwibird08; 01-12-2016 at 03:14 PM.
#3076 Old 01-12-2016, 03:15 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwibird08 View Post
In response to the "outrageous" thought process that ALL domestic companion animals should have the right to a safe/clean enclosure, proper nutrition, clean water and can be removed if those basic things are not provided/ endangered species should not be imported for pets-

* making the assumption they were male to fit in with picture *
Attached Images

Purp and no whey jose like this.
#3077 Old 01-13-2016, 03:10 AM
Lifelong vegetarian

Quote:

--Fromper
I think somewhere is an office payed by the meat industry where people are active on the internet only to write responses against vegan/vegetarian ideas.

My usual answer: I have never heard a convincing reason to eat meat.
#3078 Old 01-14-2016, 01:58 PM
Veggie Regular

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwibird08 View Post
In response to the "outrageous" thought process that ALL domestic companion animals should have the right to a safe/clean enclosure, proper nutrition, clean water and can be removed if those basic things are not provided/ endangered species should not be caught in the wild and imported for pets (i.e. anti endangered species act laws)-

#3079 Old 02-02-2016, 07:36 PM
Veggie Regular

We got a Consumer Reports magazine sample, which had samples of different types of articles they have. One was beef, which they said had 100% fecal contamination. What is their response? Go vegetarian? Go vegan? No, eat 100% grass fed beef instead...
no whey jose likes this.

#3080 Old 02-02-2016, 10:52 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purp View Post
We got a Consumer Reports magazine sample, which had samples of different types of articles they have. One was beef, which they said had 100% fecal contamination. What is their response? Go vegetarian? Go vegan? No, eat 100% grass fed beef instead...
Ummm, ewwwwww!
Purp likes this.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#3081 Old 02-02-2016, 11:17 PM
Veggie Regular

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf Girl View Post
Ummm, ewwwwww!
I know. Apparently, grass fed cows don't poop like "regular" (pun intended) cows.
no whey jose likes this.

#3082 Old 02-09-2016, 04:19 PM
Super Moderator

On the news they're talking about lent and asked a restaurant owner if they plan on catering to those abstaining from meat. Their response was that they were serving more seafood dishes... and he didn't mean seaweed salad
Purp likes this.
#3083 Old 02-10-2016, 06:49 AM
vegan since Sept. 2014

A restaurant in Vernon CT that my office likes to get take out from has this on their take out menu "if you're vegan or vegetarian, don't let the door hit your ass on you way out" with a lovely cartoon pic to convey the sentiment.
Purp likes this.

Became a vegan on September 2014, best decision ever!
I know humans consider it a grave insult to be called an animal. Well, I would never give a human the fine distinction of being called an animal, because an animal may kill to live but an animal never lives to kill. Humans have to earn the right to be called animals again.”
― David Duchovny, Holy Cow
#3084 Old 02-10-2016, 07:52 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by plnteater View Post
A restaurant in Vernon CT that my office likes to get take out from has this on their take out menu "if you're vegan or vegetarian, don't let the door hit your ass on you way out" with a lovely cartoon pic to convey the sentiment.
Well, they're in for a nasty surprise as veganism gains popularity.
Purp, LedBoots and plnteater like this.
#3085 Old 02-10-2016, 03:15 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by no whey jose View Post
Well, they're in for a nasty surprise as veganism gains popularity.
I would send the manager a letter explaining thst my friends who eat meat will choose a different restaurant when I (or another veg*n) am with them.
#3086 Old 02-10-2016, 09:25 PM
Veggie Regular

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by plnteater View Post
I would politely tell them to let the door hit them where the pig bit them...so to speak.
no whey jose likes this.

#3087 Old 02-16-2016, 10:46 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm looking at a group I was considering checking out on Meetup.com, and they have an upcoming meeting at a restaurant. So I google the restaurant and find their menu to see how veg friendly they are. The menu actually has a section labelled "meatless" - and the two dishes in that section are two different types of fish.

So I check the "salad" section of the menu next. They have a dozen "specialty" salads, all with chicken, bacon, or some other meat. So the only vegetarian menu items are a small side salad and french fries.

This meetup group's poor choice of restaurant might be the tipping point for me on not bothering with them. They already seemed kinda questionable due to low membership and poor geography.

--Fromper
Purp likes this.
#3088 Old 02-16-2016, 12:55 PM
Plant/Fungi based.

I recently mentioned to someone how I'm trying really hard now to eat around 3000 calories a day now. Because I'm very physically active but small and don't want to whither away. The person laughed and said seriously "Oh I doubt you do, you probably don't even get 1500 a day. Vegetables don't have many calories". This person has heard me many times discuss what foods I eat and dishes I've made. I just stared at her thinking "You are well aware I consume rice, oatmeal, potatoes, and beans on a regular basis right? I'm not living off carrots and broccoli alone here .."
Purp and LedBoots like this.
#3089 Old 02-16-2016, 01:41 PM
Veggie Regular

I saw this in response for a comment on an article about a vegetarian restaurant yesterday. It's pretty damn stupid.

Purp likes this.
#3090 Old 02-16-2016, 02:47 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
I'm looking at a group I was considering checking out on Meetup.com, and they have an upcoming meeting at a restaurant. So I google the restaurant and find their menu to see how veg friendly they are. The menu actually has a section labelled "meatless" - and the two dishes in that section are two different types of fish.

So I check the "salad" section of the menu next. They have a dozen "specialty" salads, all with chicken, bacon, or some other meat. So the only vegetarian menu items are a small side salad and french fries.

This meetup group's poor choice of restaurant might be the tipping point for me on not bothering with them. They already seemed kinda questionable due to low membership and poor geography.

--Fromper
You should check with the group, the restaurant may have a special menu planned. Our meetup does events at a regular restaurant that has a vegan chef- something like that.
Purp likes this.

Tags
Vegan-Lifestyle , Vegetarian-Lifestyle , vegan-food

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page