Stupid Things Omnivores Say, Version 6.0 - Page 102 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 1957Likes

#3031 Old 10-12-2015, 02:17 PM
Vegetarian

My personal favourite is "Vegetarians are basically Satanists. Why would you CHOOSE not to eat meat?"
Thalassa4 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#3032 Old 10-12-2015, 03:02 PM
Veggie Regular

Getting my hair cut the other day, the hair dresser commented how thick my hair has gotten thicker over the last month, that I looked like I lost weight and overall just healthier so she asked what I was doing and I explained how I have been vegan for almost a year now. She then asks what is vegan and I begin explaining and she goes:

"That's okay for short term but you will eventually need protein."
#3033 Old 11-02-2015, 01:52 PM
Veggie Regular

I was at my friend's house for halloween and she said, "I know all about the animals and how they are treated, but why are you REALLY vegan?"
River, LedBoots, leedsveg and 4 others like this.

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#3034 Old 11-02-2015, 02:13 PM
Veg-head since 10/14/14

Send a message via Yahoo to MadamSarcastra
I have five Moco-pros for games, posted new status on my main pro (MadamSarcastra, of course) about my one-year veggieversary on the 14th, and the only comment anyone offered: "You going to get a juicy steak now?" **sigh** Friggin' dipsh*t. LOL
Purp and Jasminedesi16 like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~ MadamSarcastra
#3035 Old 11-02-2015, 03:38 PM

I find it funny how omnivores, especially those who like to think of themselves are more socially conscious, always reflexively say they don't eat a lot of meat. Most of the people that say this eat meat every day. I find it especially interesting when used in a mildly defensive way when talking about the ethical aspect of veganism. I don't think there is an ethical difference between a semi-vegetarian and a meat lover (although it is better from an environmental and health stand point).
#3036 Old 11-02-2015, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasminedesi16 View Post
Getting my hair cut the other day, the hair dresser commented how thick my hair has gotten thicker over the last month, that I looked like I lost weight and overall just healthier so she asked what I was doing and I explained how I have been vegan for almost a year now. She then asks what is vegan and I begin explaining and she goes:

"That's okay for short term but you will eventually need protein."
Oh yeah... the proteins lol.

It is not something she says, but when I still lived with my mother she always used to say that "pork is the best meat for humans", the funny thing is that her favourite animal is pigs. Well.. whenever we used to watch TV and there was a programme about how the pigs are getting tortured and murdered she cried and said that it was so terrible and that she wishes they wouldn't do that to pigs meanwhile she munched on pork.

Actually it is sad. And stupid.
#3037 Old 11-06-2015, 10:49 PM
Veggie Regular

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shandong View Post

It is not something she says, but when I still lived with my mother she always used to say that "pork is the best meat for humans", the funny thing is that her favourite animal is pigs. Well.. whenever we used to watch TV and there was a programme about how the pigs are getting tortured and murdered she cried and said that it was so terrible and that she wishes they wouldn't do that to pigs meanwhile she munched on pork.

That's when you look at her, look at the tv, and look at what she's eating, without saying a word. If you're really quiet, you could possibly hear all the gears clicking.

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#3038 Old 11-07-2015, 12:18 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purp View Post
I was at my friend's house for halloween and she said, "I know all about the animals and how they are treated, but why are you REALLY vegan?"
What do you suppose she expects you to say?
Purp likes this.
#3039 Old 11-07-2015, 09:20 AM

Quote:
That's when you look at her, look at the tv, and look at what she's eating, without saying a word. If you're really quiet, you could possibly hear all the gears clicking.
I said to her "Well, what are you eating?"
- "I know but..."
- "But those pigs on the tv is on your plate?"
- "I wish there was a more humane way"..

And she is changing the channel...

Purp and no whey jose like this.
#3040 Old 11-07-2015, 10:53 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
- "I know but..."

So frustrating! Arrrg!
Purp and Shandong like this.
#3041 Old 11-07-2015, 12:51 PM
Veggie Regular

Cool

Quote:

Quote:
- "I know but..."

Just out of curiosity, is this online somewhere so I can watch it, too? I mean, accidentally on purpose in front of other people?

Quote:
Originally Posted by no whey jose View Post
What do you suppose she expects you to say?
I honestly have no idea.

#3042 Old 11-07-2015, 01:59 PM
Veg-head since 10/14/14

Was standing in line to pay at the gas station and had to listen to the guy in front of me go on & on & on... "I've shot sooo many deer in my lifetime" and blah, blah, f*cking blah... meanwhile, I'm getting twitchier by the second....
Purp likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~ MadamSarcastra
#3043 Old 11-07-2015, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Just out of curiosity, is this online somewhere so I can watch it, too? I mean, accidentally on purpose in front of other people?

I honestly have no idea.
It was some years ago, on a Swedish National News-Broadcasting about a pig farm I think. But it is no difference between Swedish pig farms and other pig farms, all farms are treating the pigs in the same way. Let them live in tight cages with hard floor and iron bar fence, never let them see the daylight and even take away the piglets from their mom & paint them with graffiti spray to live in smaller cages, so small and tight they die.

I wonder what the reaction would be if we let humans live in small iron cages where we painted numbers on them with graffiti, never let them see the sunlight, inseminate females and take their babies away from them, kill them after the birth, letting the babies live on a hard concrete floor to die... the ones that survived would be slaughtered to be in the meat part of the grocery store the other day.

I don't understand how the word "human" is a synonyme to empathy, because since this is how humans treat other living creature, they can't have even a little drop of sympathy or empathy in their bodies.

Sorry, for going OffT, this just makes me so sad and angry.
Purp likes this.

Last edited by Shandong; 11-07-2015 at 02:11 PM.
#3044 Old 11-07-2015, 03:07 PM
adapt. evolve. become

My dad said that many vegans get mental illness from lack of protein

All we are is dust in the wind
#3045 Old 11-07-2015, 04:09 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

((((((Hugs)))))) @Shandong . Sometimes you have to take a break from watching/reading about/thinking about these horrors. Have a nice cup of tea and a vegan sweet.
Purp and Shandong like this.
#3046 Old 11-07-2015, 05:41 PM
Veggie Regular

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadamSarcastra View Post
Was standing in line to pay at the gas station and had to listen to the guy in front of me go on & on & on... "I've shot sooo many deer in my lifetime" and blah, blah, f*cking blah... meanwhile, I'm getting twitchier by the second....
Just say, "So have I. What kind of camera do you use?"

Quote:
It was some years ago, on a Swedish National News-Broadcasting about a pig farm I think. But it is no difference between Swedish pig farms and other pig farms, all farms are treating the pigs in the same way. Let them live in tight cages with hard floor and iron bar fence, never let them see the daylight and even take away the piglets from their mom & paint them with graffiti spray to live in smaller cages, so small and tight they die.

I wonder what the reaction would be if we let humans live in small iron cages where we painted numbers on them with graffiti, never let them see the sunlight, inseminate females and take their babies away from them, kill them after the birth, letting the babies live on a hard concrete floor to die... the ones that survived would be slaughtered to be in the meat part of the grocery store the other day.

I don't understand how the word "human" is a synonyme to empathy, because since this is how humans treat other living creature, they can't have even a little drop of sympathy or empathy in their bodies.

Sorry, for going OffT, this just makes me so sad and angry.
I understand your rant perfectly...

#3047 Old 11-08-2015, 10:55 AM
Veg-head since 10/14/14

Quote:
Just say, "So have I. What kind of camera do you use?"

I understand your rant perfectly...
I was just overhearing his discussion with the cashier. I wasn't part of the conversation... nor did I have any desire to be. Hunting is HUGE in Michigan, and I wasn't about to get into it at a convenience store with a total stranger who, evidently, owns several deadly weapons. LMAO! I had beer to drink, dammit.
Purp likes this.

~ MadamSarcastra
#3048 Old 11-09-2015, 06:47 PM
Veggie Recycler

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicaltheatre View Post
My personal favourite is "Vegetarians are basically Satanists. Why would you CHOOSE not to eat meat?"
Especially since the Garden of Eden was vegan, meat eating wasn't allowed til after the Great Flood and came with sacrifice and restrictions, the future paradise in Isaiah is completely bloodless and talks about even carnivorous animals being vegetarian, Daniel ate vegetables for God, and Paul said while all food may be allowed if anything I eat causes my brother to stumble I will never eat meat. Christian Biblical hermeneutics actually make a strong case that God's ideal of perfection is vegetarian, but meat eating like other worldly things, are a result of the Fallen state.
Purp likes this.
#3049 Old 11-11-2015, 01:45 PM
Veggie Regular

In today's (11 Nov 2015) Seattle Times.
Quote:
Old Chaser’s chickens, fluffy and busy, are the patriotic-sounding Freedom Ranger breed. The pretty white Peking ducks can be shy, but Dillon’s pigs come right up to the fence to get their heads scratched. “Pigs are really cool,” he says. “They like to play and run around … they’re happy guys.”

The pigs’ territory extends back into the Douglas fir and hemlocks, where they’re better than goats (or fire, or poison, for that matter) at clearing invasive Himalayan blackberry, rooting out the persistent deep parts. Meanwhile, the pigs fertilize the soil, too.

“When we haven’t had pigs around, it’s lonely,” Dillon says. “They’re really sweet animals … I don’t like taking them to slaughter. It really makes you appreciate serving them. They’re like dogs. When I say, ‘Hey, pigs!’ they come running, like ‘What’s up?’ ”

Raising pigs has made him contemplate vegetarianism. At the same time, he notes, “If I fell down in there, they’d eat me … ‘Who’s this guy? He’s been eating pizza; he’s delicious!’ ” The pigs get hard cider on the morning of their demise.
The entire article is here.

#3050 Old 11-11-2015, 01:45 PM
Veggie Regular

In today's (11 Nov 2015) Seattle Times.
Quote:
Old Chaser’s chickens, fluffy and busy, are the patriotic-sounding Freedom Ranger breed. The pretty white Peking ducks can be shy, but Dillon’s pigs come right up to the fence to get their heads scratched. “Pigs are really cool,” he says. “They like to play and run around … they’re happy guys.”

The pigs’ territory extends back into the Douglas fir and hemlocks, where they’re better than goats (or fire, or poison, for that matter) at clearing invasive Himalayan blackberry, rooting out the persistent deep parts. Meanwhile, the pigs fertilize the soil, too.

“When we haven’t had pigs around, it’s lonely,” Dillon says. “They’re really sweet animals … I don’t like taking them to slaughter. It really makes you appreciate serving them. They’re like dogs. When I say, ‘Hey, pigs!’ they come running, like ‘What’s up?’ ”

Raising pigs has made him contemplate vegetarianism. At the same time, he notes, “If I fell down in there, they’d eat me … ‘Who’s this guy? He’s been eating pizza; he’s delicious!’ ” The pigs get hard cider on the morning of their demise.
The entire article is here.

#3051 Old 11-26-2015, 04:56 AM
Veggie Regular

Come on, dude! You were doing SO WELL. Them of course foot in the mouth. Dumb omni
Purp likes this.
#3052 Old 11-26-2015, 08:13 AM
adapt. evolve. become

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicaltheatre View Post
If you know how meat is made, why would anyone choose to eat it? :/
Purp likes this.

All we are is dust in the wind
#3053 Old 11-27-2015, 12:39 AM
Veggie Regular

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate Huntress View Post
If you know how meat is made, why would anyone choose to eat it? :/
Just do what I do. Question the whole of humanity. Daily. Or hourly. Or minutely. Or secondly, like I do.

#3054 Old 11-27-2015, 08:49 AM

Heard this one just recently: "God gave us animals to eat."...
Purp likes this.

vegan since 10/2014
#3055 Old 11-28-2015, 08:37 PM
Veggie Regular

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friend View Post
Heard this one just recently: "God gave us animals to eat."...
Then you reply, "God gave us to animals to eat."
Jasminedesi16 and Ukvege like this.

#3056 Old 12-01-2015, 10:37 AM

When someone doesn't want their non vegan dish to be contaminated - A human hair, fly in soup, blood, someone sneezed on my plate.
You get the idea.
What do they think that they are eating?

As for the blood, I have seen cooking competition shows when a chef nicks their hand on a blade, and all hell breaks loose because their plate can be "contaminated"! But wait, they are eating a meat dish, with red juices...seriously people, wake up.
Purp, ShadowKat and skinnieminnie like this.
#3057 Old 12-02-2015, 02:08 AM
Lifelong vegetarian

I vote to move this thread back to the Vegetarian Support Forum: More readers and more input.

My usual answer: I have never heard a convincing reason to eat meat.
#3058 Old 12-06-2015, 12:25 PM
Veggie Regular

This isn't much but I was out with my mom and her friend and her friend's granddaughter who is about four, my mom's friend orders milk for the granddaughter and starts telling her "Milk is so good for you, it will make you and your bones so strong so you can have as much milk as you want!" and she turns to us and goes on and on how healthy her parents are raising her and they only allow her to drink milk and water. I wanted to face palm so much.
Raskolnikova likes this.
#3059 Old 12-06-2015, 02:25 PM
Super Moderator

I'll have people think I avoid the strangest foods. Like they think I don't eat bread, rice, onion rings, french fries, sugary things. When I ask why not, they say they just didn't think I ate them.
Thats a big factor in why I dislike so much focus on vegan "diets" for health. I've had too many people talk about that without so much as being all plants, much less vegan
Jasminedesi16 likes this.
#3060 Old 12-06-2015, 11:04 PM
Veggie Regular

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasminedesi16 View Post
This isn't much but I was out with my mom and her friend and her friend's granddaughter who is about four, my mom's friend orders milk for the granddaughter and starts telling her "Milk is so good for you, it will make you and your bones so strong so you can have as much milk as you want!" and she turns to us and goes on and on how healthy her parents are raising her and they only allow her to drink milk and water. I wanted to face palm so much.

Tags
Vegan-Lifestyle , Vegetarian-Lifestyle , vegan-food

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page