Stupid Things Omnivores Say, Version 6.0 - Page 101 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 1957Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
#3001 Old 08-21-2015, 05:11 AM
Newbie
 
Radharc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Florida, USA
Posts: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by no whey jose View Post
Update: My friend said that her husband feels bad about saying that. Apparently there really weren't ribs at the barbecue. He forgot that I was vegan and was making a joke.
That's good to hear.

Holding on to anger is like drinking poison and expecting the other person to die.
-Buddha
Radharc is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#3002 Old 08-21-2015, 07:13 AM
Super Moderator
 
no whey jose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: West Sussex, UK
Posts: 2,671
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radharc View Post
That's good to hear.
Yeah, kinda. He said that the ribs he ate were actually from a cow, and I guess that was supposed to be better, somehow? There is sometimes such a huge chasm between the way I think and the thoughts of the meat-eaters around me, even the ones I really like, that it leaves me feeling really confused.
no whey jose is offline  
#3003 Old 08-21-2015, 05:55 PM
Newbie
 
Radharc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Florida, USA
Posts: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by no whey jose View Post
Yeah, kinda. He said that the ribs he ate were actually from a cow, and I guess that was supposed to be better, somehow? There is sometimes such a huge chasm between the way I think and the thoughts of the meat-eaters around me, even the ones I really like, that it leaves me feeling really confused.

Holding on to anger is like drinking poison and expecting the other person to die.
-Buddha
Radharc is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#3004 Old 08-21-2015, 10:37 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Purp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 6,789
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaliaBeth1224 View Post
I mean theymakebacon flavored suckers. Which is kinda gross.

My teacher gives people suckers for making a 100 on his test because it becomes a very compulsive thing like you need to.
It's impossible to fail his class unless you just don't listen.
I'm going to give you bad but friendly advice. Don't listen to that teacher. Don't tell your folks I said to do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by no whey jose View Post
Update: My friend said that her husband feels bad about saying that. Apparently there really weren't ribs at the barbecue. He forgot that I was vegan and was making a joke.
I think you meant was, He "forgot" you were a vegan and was making a joke.

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
Purp is offline  
#3005 Old 08-26-2015, 10:45 AM
Son of Jupiter
 
Linky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: NYC
Posts: 100
Send a message via Skype™ to Linky
Ah, another day another insecure A-hole. What is it with all this "Meat is manly Bull ****" that goes around?

Today I was called "less of a man" because I don't eat the flesh of other living creatures. Apparently, eating a piece of murdered flesh makes one a "man". So, I kindly asked this "Man" if it was manly to bully someone for being less smarter than oneself. He of course said no, but the way he said it made me lose some faith in mankind. >_>

"No, but animals like cows and chickens would kill us if we didn't kill them".

>_>
<_<
>_<

I couldn't slap my face any harder. In fact, I hurt my face from that slap though the pain of said slap was nothing like the pain of brain cells committing suicide.

So I simply told him that I, along with many others, choose to be the animals protector; not oppressor. He ended up just sucking his teeth and walking off.

I really, REALLY hope this guys way of thinking was just a singular belief. Thinking that Cows and chickens want to kill us is just....I don't.....I can't...O_o
Purp, mecanna and PandemicAcolyte like this.
Linky is offline  
#3006 Old 08-26-2015, 01:12 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)
 
LedBoots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 8,396
C'mon, cows and chickens!

Purp, no whey jose, Linky and 1 others like this.
LedBoots is offline  
#3007 Old 08-26-2015, 02:38 PM
Plant/Fungi based.
 
PandemicAcolyte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Mars
Posts: 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linky View Post
Ah, another day another insecure A-hole. What is it with all this "Meat is manly Bull ****" that goes around?

Today I was called "less of a man" because I don't eat the flesh of other living creatures. Apparently, eating a piece of murdered flesh makes one a "man". So, I kindly asked this "Man" if it was manly to bully someone for being less smarter than oneself. He of course said no, but the way he said it made me lose some faith in mankind. >_>

"No, but animals like cows and chickens would kill us if we didn't kill them".

>_>
<_<
>_<

I couldn't slap my face any harder. In fact, I hurt my face from that slap though the pain of said slap was nothing like the pain of brain cells committing suicide.

So I simply told him that I, along with many others, choose to be the animals protector; not oppressor. He ended up just sucking his teeth and walking off.

I really, REALLY hope this guys way of thinking was just a singular belief. Thinking that Cows and chickens want to kill us is just....I don't.....I can't...O_o
Chickens are deadly man ... you have to be careful.
Purp, Linky and EvilCartman like this.
PandemicAcolyte is offline  
#3008 Old 08-26-2015, 05:50 PM
Newbie
 
kaitie813's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Canada
Posts: 56
So it wasn't someone saying it but while on Pinterest today, I came across a picture of a man decked in camoflauge head to toe holding up a deer head that said:

"Hey vegetarians, this ******* was eating your food. Don't worry, I took care of him."

I think it was supposed to be funny, but just came off as obnoxious and rude to me.
kaitie813 is offline  
#3009 Old 08-26-2015, 11:07 PM
Lifelong vegetarian
 
@rno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 2,617
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaitie813 View Post

"Hey vegetarians, this ******* was eating your food. Don't worry, I took care of him."

Maybe you should show him a picture of hungry people and then a pig, saying: "this animal is eating their food".


(Ok, ok, ok.... it is not as "funny" as the deer)
Purp, LedBoots and no whey jose like this.

My usual answer: I have never heard a convincing reason to eat meat.
@rno is offline  
#3010 Old 08-27-2015, 01:22 AM
Super Moderator
 
no whey jose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: West Sussex, UK
Posts: 2,671
Quote:
Originally Posted by @rno View Post
Maybe you should show him a picture of hungry people and then a pig, saying: "this animal is eating their food".


(Ok, ok, ok.... it is not as "funny" as the deer)
Much more accurate.

I hate the "cows and deer eat your food" joke. Humans can't digest grass. If anything, other primates are eating our food.
Purp and Jasminedesi16 like this.
no whey jose is offline  
#3011 Old 09-01-2015, 03:12 AM
Lifelong vegetarian
 
@rno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 2,617
Something like this
Attached Images
 

My usual answer: I have never heard a convincing reason to eat meat.
@rno is offline  
#3012 Old 09-08-2015, 09:17 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Jasminedesi16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: philadelphia
Posts: 590
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linky View Post
Ah, another day another insecure A-hole. What is it with all this "Meat is manly Bull ****" that goes around?

Today I was called "less of a man" because I don't eat the flesh of other living creatures. Apparently, eating a piece of murdered flesh makes one a "man". So, I kindly asked this "Man" if it was manly to bully someone for being less smarter than oneself. He of course said no, but the way he said it made me lose some faith in mankind. >_>

"No, but animals like cows and chickens would kill us if we didn't kill them".

>_>
<_<
>_<

I couldn't slap my face any harder. In fact, I hurt my face from that slap though the pain of said slap was nothing like the pain of brain cells committing suicide.

So I simply told him that I, along with many others, choose to be the animals protector; not oppressor. He ended up just sucking his teeth and walking off.

I really, REALLY hope this guys way of thinking was just a singular belief. Thinking that Cows and chickens want to kill us is just....I don't.....I can't...O_o
Cows and Chickens certainty do not want to kill us. I petted a couple of cows and they were very friendly and sweet. They actually seemed happy someone was paying attention to them :P




So I saw a comment online yesterday that there is nothing wrong with eating animals because people kill other people and the person began to explain how ISIL kills people and how other random groups of people and serial killers kill people. I couldn't get over the stupidity of that comment. The person then went on a rant about how vegetarians care so much about animals but not the Christians being slaughtered in Syria or the massacre of babies in doctors offices here.
Purp and Linky like this.
Jasminedesi16 is offline  
#3013 Old 09-10-2015, 05:58 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Purp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 6,789
I found this link advising to be kind to animals. I have no problem with being kind to animals, but this was the first thing that caught my eye.

BUYING HUMANELY RAISED PRODUCTS

I will seek out eggs, meat, and dairy products that are humanely raised, such as American Humane CertifiedTM products, helping to ensure the welfare of 10 billion farm animals.

Um, how about...not eating animals at all??!! Wouldn't that be kinder?

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
Purp is offline  
#3014 Old 09-10-2015, 08:44 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Purp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 6,789
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linky View Post
Ah, another day another insecure A-hole. What is it with all this "Meat is manly Bull ****" that goes around?

Today I was called "less of a man" because I don't eat the flesh of other living creatures. Apparently, eating a piece of murdered flesh makes one a "man". So, I kindly asked this "Man" if it was manly to bully someone for being less smarter than oneself. He of course said no, but the way he said it made me lose some faith in mankind. >_>

"No, but animals like cows and chickens would kill us if we didn't kill them".

>_>
<_<
>_<

I couldn't slap my face any harder. In fact, I hurt my face from that slap though the pain of said slap was nothing like the pain of brain cells committing suicide.

So I simply told him that I, along with many others, choose to be the animals protector; not oppressor. He ended up just sucking his teeth and walking off.

I really, REALLY hope this guys way of thinking was just a singular belief. Thinking that Cows and chickens want to kill us is just....I don't.....I can't...O_o
Dude, you're slapping the wrong face.
Linky likes this.

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
Purp is offline  
#3015 Old 09-11-2015, 01:37 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 2
My ex posted this as a response to me and my boyfriend being vegetarians:
"If you say you love animals, but all you eat is the animals food, you're also disconnected from reality. There's a food chain. Humans are on top. If you choose to slide down, good for you, but don't be a righteous dick about it."
Purp likes this.
pazi is offline  
#3016 Old 09-11-2015, 01:42 PM
Super Moderator
 
no whey jose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: West Sussex, UK
Posts: 2,671
Quote:
Originally Posted by pazi View Post
My ex posted this as a response to me and my boyfriend being vegetarians:
"If you say you love animals, but all you eat is the animals food, you're also disconnected from reality. There's a food chain. Humans are on top. If you choose to slide down, good for you, but don't be a righteous dick about it."
Glad he's your ex, I'll bet!

Just respond with appropriate comics:

Kiwibird08 and pazi like this.
no whey jose is offline  
#3017 Old 09-11-2015, 02:52 PM
Super Moderator
 
silva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 8,954
Purp likes this.
silva is offline  
#3018 Old 09-11-2015, 02:54 PM
Super Moderator
 
silva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 8,954
Purp likes this.
silva is offline  
#3019 Old 09-11-2015, 03:35 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by no whey jose View Post
Glad he's your ex, I'll bet!

Just respond with appropriate comics:

You know, I'm saving this picture. Might use it for later~
Purp and no whey jose like this.
pazi is offline  
#3020 Old 09-12-2015, 12:33 PM
Super Moderator
 
no whey jose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: West Sussex, UK
Posts: 2,671
Purp, LedBoots, Marjoram and 2 others like this.
no whey jose is offline  
#3021 Old 09-12-2015, 02:15 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Purp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 6,789
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by no whey jose View Post
I really need this on my facebook wall.

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
Purp is offline  
#3022 Old 09-14-2015, 03:53 PM
No flesh since 99'
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 959
Omnivore "logic" when trying to argue pro meat AND pro exotic pet trade-

"We should breed exotic animals prolifically for pets [most people are unwilling/incapable of caring for]. Then they won't extinct AND we don't have to stop deforesting their natural habitat for meat production. Win-Win!".

Purp, Shallot and Beautiful Joe like this.

Last edited by Kiwibird08; 09-14-2015 at 03:57 PM.
Kiwibird08 is offline  
#3023 Old 09-15-2015, 07:37 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 32
Here's one from a site I go to. They are supposed to be progressives. From an article about what you do and don't like from the day and article:

Me:

Don't really like Greenpeace or most environmental organizations. They ignore the biggest contributor to global climate change: animal agriculture.

Jeers to Proctor and Gamble. They test on animals and use animal products in their products.
Jeers to McDonald's and eggs. Chickens are horribly kept, even in "cage free" facilities, they are bred to produce way more eggs in a given year than they do naturally, and eggs are just not good for you. And the baby boy chicks ...
Cheers to Bernie Sanders
Cheers to a beautiful day.
Cheers to veganism.



Others:


I get eggs from the orchard down the street

where the rooster is outnumbered by all the chickens to one, where they stroll around in the grass, and the baby boy chicks grow up to be handsome roosters, but only in suitable surroundings for such magnificent animals.

I love a lot of foods that aren't good for me.

Lots of breakfast foods are on that list, beginning with eggs. Then there's sausage, bacon, butter, cheese, coffee, sugar, jelly, scones, pastries... Mmm mmm mmm.

-----------------------------
OK, seriously!
bldudas is offline  
#3024 Old 09-16-2015, 03:35 AM
Veggie Regular
 
TaliaBeth1224's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 998
Quote:
Originally Posted by pazi View Post
You know, I'm saving this picture. Might use it for later~
The ominavore is also an idiot because the word "checkmate" LITTERALLy means endgame.
He means "check" if he was smart.

And fun fact: # means "checkmate" in chess notation.
Purp and LedBoots like this.
TaliaBeth1224 is offline  
#3025 Old 09-17-2015, 07:29 AM
No flesh since 99'
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 959
Here is a *real* gem from the ongoing debate about phasing out captive pets on another forum I'm on (since pets are somehow better than preventing habitat loss for wild animals):

Quote:
"We have lost enough species already and to willingly lose any more is incomprehensible but that is exactly what these AR groups are out to do - to rid this Earth of all animals."
Ya, us vegans and animal rights activists really hate animals. You know, for wanting for them to be able to live a natural life in their natural habitat instead of only existing as captive pets... Because infringing upon your right to the consumeristic omnivorous lifestyle that contributes to habitat loss for wild animals just isn't going to work. And no one is suggesting discontinuing professional conservation programs geared toward species protection and captive breeding of endangered species for eventual re-release to the wild. This is WHY I rarely argue with meat eaters- they are SO *!#@$%!* stupid you'd have a more intellectual discussion with a tree.
Kiwibird08 is offline  
#3026 Old 09-25-2015, 10:14 AM
Newbie
 
Chou's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Romania
Posts: 59
When I lived in Japan I had a host family, didn't live with them because I was living in a dormitory, but sometimes we would meet up. My friend and I were supposed to go out with my host family once and the father suggested that we go to the zoo. I told him, you know, I don't like seeing caged animals, I don't like the zoo. He didn't understand at first, though I told him both in English and Japanese, also showed him on my dictionary, my friend also tried to explain to him, but he thought I don't like BIG animals. So after a lot more explanation, he finally got it, thought for a bit, then he suggested the aquarium. Now this is the point where I just thought of it as really funny, cause it's the exact same thing. So after more explanation, he just said okay, let's go to the beach side. And at the beach side, there were some merchants selling sea food, I had to explain to him AGAIN that mussels and whatever animal-kingdom-seashell-animals they had there are also animals and I don't eat them (told my family before that I don't eat meat), so he laughed, as if I was saying something crazy. I didn't want to be unpolite and tell him to check a biology book, but I did tell him that they are not vegetables, they live.

So okay, he didn't buy any for me, but then we went to the restaurant where we met with the mother. And I told them again that I don't eat meat, so they were trying to find something in the menu that doesn't have meat and at a point the mother just said "So no meat... but chicken is okay, right?" I was like what the hell, dude, again, a really funny situation I thought, cause to me it seems like a ridiculously easy to understand thing, but I guess it's the cultural difference. But I'll never forget the "no meat, but chicken okay" thing, it was hilarious.
Chou is offline  
#3027 Old 09-27-2015, 07:40 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Jasminedesi16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: philadelphia
Posts: 590
This isn't really stupid but it just made me uncomfortable. I'm taking an Arabic culture class at my university and we were doing a unit about Arab hospitably and people were sharing stories about hospitality and they were all really nice stories. Anyway this one woman told how she was at party once and that a man slaughtered his PET horse to feed guests, and I think I was the only one that cringed on that and another story was about how a rich man had given a full sheep to each person individually at his party, I just couldn't imagine how much was wasted and how unnecessarily it was
Purp likes this.
Jasminedesi16 is offline  
#3028 Old 10-10-2015, 11:48 AM
Veggie Regular
 
TaliaBeth1224's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 998
That's awful! And quite frankly repulsive.


Today I went out to lunch with my family.
And the food was good, I guess. We had fried tomatoes.
Chef: how did you like the BACON Dusted green tomatoes?

And when I told him "I'm a vegetarian."

He made the worst comment: "don't worry. The one you're eating might not be bacon dusted."

*puke emoji*
Jasminedesi16 likes this.
TaliaBeth1224 is offline  
#3029 Old 10-10-2015, 12:39 PM
Longtime vegetarian
 
VeggieSince88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Los Angeles area
Posts: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chou View Post
then we went to the restaurant where we met with the mother. And I told them again that I don't eat meat, so they were trying to find something in the menu that doesn't have meat and at a point the mother just said "So no meat... but chicken is okay, right?" I was like what the hell, dude, again, a really funny situation I thought, cause to me it seems like a ridiculously easy to understand thing, but I guess it's the cultural difference.
No, I don't think it's a cultural difference, because it happens ALL THE TIME to me in the US. After many years of this, I've come to a conclusion about WHY people think chicken (or fish or turkey) is okay, but other meat (cow, pig, lamb) is not is this: they're thinking in terms of people who do not eat red meat for health reasons. They're NOT thinking in terms of people who don't eat sentient beings because we don't want to participate in the animal cruelty involved in 'harvesting' their flesh.
Purp and Jasminedesi16 like this.
VeggieSince88 is offline  
#3030 Old 10-10-2015, 02:22 PM
Witch of the South
 
Loki Laufeyson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Asgard, or maybe Texas.
Posts: 46
Send a message via Skype™ to Loki Laufeyson
The one that really bothers me is when someone posts a photo of a ton of meat (steak, burgers, what have you) and say "THIS is why I cannot be vegetarian".

Yeah. You so can. You just choose not to. Lol.

Also I had one of my longtime friends almost delete me from Facebook because I went on a photo-posting tirade where I would post photos of animals in factory farms and say "THIS is why I don't eat meat". She complained that I was suddenly an "overnight vegan who is trying to shove it down people's throats" and say how it is "hard" for people to give up meat and I was annoying her. I told people that they should give up meat because they challened my vegetarianism. xP.

I've been vegetarian for two months. I am not vegan. It didn't happen overnight. I wasn't trying to shove anything down anyone's throats. I was simply doing what meat-eaters do, but in reverse.

Oh oh oh my FAVOURITE. People whining about that dog eating festival in China and how it was so inhumane and cruel, yet they still shove their faces full of cows, chicken, lamb, seafood, turkey, and other things. Hypocritical, much?

Last edited by Loki Laufeyson; 10-10-2015 at 02:32 PM.
Loki Laufeyson is offline  
Reply

Tags
Vegan-Lifestyle , Vegetarian-Lifestyle , vegan-food

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in


Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off