I feel like such a failure - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 11-23-2012, 07:46 AM

Thanksgiving started out with a wonderful plan to cook vegetarian hot tamale pie. I had the ingredients all lined up and ready to go when my mother asked me if I wanted to go over to where my aunt was staying. I haven't had a holiday dinner with my family in over a decade because they cannot look beyond the past. To make a long story short, I ended up eating turkey and lamb for dinner. I felt horrid when I came home because my journey towards being a lacto-Ovo vegetarian has just begun all over again. This is perhaps my 8th attempt and I will not stop until the I've won the battle.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-23-2012, 07:51 AM

When I started 24 years ago, eating family dinners was always a pain in the butt. They always tried to tempt me or downright lie about ingredients in recipes. But the longer you distance yourself from meat, your taste buds will know the difference VERY quickly. (And your intestines too!)

Ifound myself saying no to dinners until the family had something there I could eat to keep with my beliefs.

“You must be the change you wish to see in the world.” ~ Mohandas Gandhi

#3 Old 11-23-2012, 08:35 AM
Veggie Regular

Please don't feel this way. Being guilt-ridden isn't going to help anyone and certainly not animals.

Rather, think about what lead you to eat meat: was it social pressure, craving, something else, so that you can work on it and avoid it next time.

Perhaps saying to people you're shifting to vegetarianism will help as they'll have to provide some veggie options for you (hopefully)?

In any case, you'll determined, so you'll get there eventually, have faith in yourself! Some of us relapse, I did when I was a teenager and I am now a vegan. It's no excuse but unfortunately it happens. Don't chastise yourself, move on and be strong!  I'm pretty sure you can do it!

Jennifer C likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 11-23-2012, 09:39 AM
Zelda Freak

You're not a failure by any means. You slipped, but lots and lots of people do - with diet, exercise, etc.

I agree with Jezebel in that you should try to get to the core of why you slipped. Especially since you've noted this is your 8th time trying to go veg.

If it's social pressure you should try to learn to talk about this issue with people close to you. I don't know if you're going veg for animals or health or what, but if it has to do with animals, you may want to read the thread - Trouble Talking About Animal Rights. Another good thread is: Annoying friends and family saying your vegetarian lifestyle is "unhealthy".   

If it has to do with meat cravings, which many vegetarians do have, I'd read: Tips for new vegetarians: how to manage holiday meat cravings

Family dinners are tough when it comes to food choices. Especially if there's already drama. But it's not impossible to be around anyone you know and still stay veg, you just gotta stick with it. 

~ Jennifer

* Find VeggieBoards:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 +

* Find me:
+
+
#5 Old 11-23-2012, 10:50 AM
Veggie Regular

Please don't feel like a failure - this is something that happens to all of us. I can certainly empathize with your family situation - my family likes to crack 'innocent' jokes about vegetarianism that more often than not are more serious than joke. 

I've had a few slip ups - each time I just think that what's important is that I go back to my own beliefs. 

#6 Old 11-26-2012, 04:19 AM
Veggie Regular

please dont feel bad, i just fell off the wagon during my pregnancy and birth of my baby girl, my husband was pressuring me to eat meat and as i was anemic didnt have the energy to argue with him and just caved in. 

not being true to myself and what i believe in made me feel horrible.  being vegetarian i felt awesome and had so much balance in my life.

i am also back on the wagon.

everytime i am faced with meat i just remind myself that i love animals and dont want to eat them.  When I am around family or invited to a family gathering I take a salad or veggie bake with so there is always something there for me to eat.

today is a new day embrace it, forget about your passed failures.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page