The Vegetarian Myth - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-09-2012, 07:02 PM

Hi everyone 

i am planning to become a vegetarian for the reason of my own health.

but i have come across a video about being a vegetarian is bad for your brain.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNON5iNf07o

i have great double about what she is saying, since i have seen so many researches shown that Vegetarians have overall higher IQ than meat-eater. 

what do you guys think?

Thanks!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-09-2012, 07:04 PM
Veggie Regular

This thread has already been done, but I'll post the best response I know of:

http://www.theveganrd.com/2010/09/review-of-the-vegetarian-myth.html

^ This is a very good and in depth response from a trusted registered dietitian explaining why the "myth" is a myth itself.

Tam! RUGH!
#3 Old 06-09-2012, 07:40 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by soultraveler View Post

what do you guys think?

If you do a search on here and on the net you'll find good responses to her.  You're posting at a time when many regular posters have lost interest in this board, so I don't know if you'll get a lot of good responses.

Many things that she says are incorrect and go against medical research, scientific fact, and common sense.  She's a fan of the big, dramatic statement - you can see that on her video - "You're going to die!"  The Weston Price Foundation, upon which she bases her ideas, is a truly quack and unscientific organization.

"If you want to know where you would have stood on slavery before the civil war, don't look at where you stand on slavery today, look at where you stand on animal rights." - Paul Watson.

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 06-09-2012, 07:47 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh James xVx View Post

This thread has already been done, but I'll post the best response I know of:

http://www.theveganrd.com/2010/09/review-of-the-vegetarian-myth.html

^ This is a very good and in depth response from a trusted registered dietitian explaining why the "myth" is a myth itself.

This is what I was going to post, it's an excellent critique.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#5 Old 06-09-2012, 11:04 PM
Vegetarian

I got the book and started reading, and am even writing a review/debunking of it. The thing about Kieth is that she has some radical beliefs. She is anti-civilization, and is in favor of us returning to a hunter-gather world. She believes that grains are horrible re you health too. She is strongly in favor of the paleo diet. These are a just basic run down of her views. She seems more interested in what is natural than what is actually good or healthy. She seems to assume that if it is natural, it is right. A big thing that she bases her belief on (in regards to vegan nutrition) is how she felt as a vegan. She got serious health issues as a vegan. I am not sure if the issues are unrelated to diet, but I think they might be related to diet, since she (from what I have read) neglected to give her body what it needs (primarily carbs). But whatever the cause, she insists that a vegan diet is inherently unhealthy and anyone who tries it will be faced with degenerating health, just like her. Well, there are lots of healthy, long-term vegans, so right there, her theory is shot. She believes that without saturated fats (which is impossible -she claims- to get on a vegan diet), your body cannot asbord nutrients and minerals. Obviously, if that was true, you could not find a fit and healthy vegan, just like you couldn't find a person who has lived a year without water. Biologically impossible. Well, this guy here makes videos. Lots of people find him very annoying, other inspirational. But he is a vegan who is into fitness. Over a decade and his body is not falling apart. That right there disproves her ideas, or at least puts them on VERY shaky grounds.

#6 Old 06-11-2012, 03:33 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irizary View Post

If you do a search on here and on the net you'll find good responses to her.  You're posting at a time when many regular posters have lost interest in this board, so I don't know if you'll get a lot of good responses.

Many things that she says are incorrect and go against medical research, scientific fact, and common sense.  She's a fan of the big, dramatic statement - you can see that on her video - "You're going to die!"  The Weston Price Foundation, upon which she bases her ideas, is a truly quack and unscientific organization.

I get the Weston Price crap each time I am not feeling good or have a health problem and also blaming my other health problems

for not allowing me to eat meats and most of dairy but, I know that West Price stuff is crap and I like plant base diets better. 

#7 Old 06-11-2012, 06:05 PM
Veggie Regular

really all you have to do is look at the utter lack of scientific quality in her citations http://vegetarianmythmyth.wordpress.com/2010/07/22/chapter-4-resource-analysis/
She uses mainly pop-pseudoscience book as sources

No gods, No masters, No woo, No whey! Ⓥ
Read my blog and be skeptical not susceptible
http://skepticalvegan.wordpress.com/

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page