Sausages - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-07-2012, 04:03 AM

Hi! smiley.gif

I'm new to these forums and this is my first post! smiley.gif

I have been a vegetarian for a few years now after going to uni and deciding not to eat meat. In this time I have tried many different vegetarian sausages and just wanted your opinion on them.

There seems to be a couple of types, sort of dry and herby and then "meat" like at the two extremes.

Being a meat eater previously, i prefer the latter texture, I was just curious if everyone was the same!?

smiley.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-07-2012, 04:31 AM
Veggie Regular

I have yet to try a vegetarian sausage that I don't like! But I've only tried maybe 3 or 4 types.

#3 Old 06-07-2012, 04:38 AM
Veggie Regular

I have an addiction to the Italian ones from tofurky. They are amazing with spices and sun-dried tomato bits.

"Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring."
 Marilyn Monroe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 06-07-2012, 04:41 AM
Veggie Regular

I definitely like herby flavours in sausagy things. That's often the key thing in any sub for me. It's all about the mint in the not-lamb, sage and onion in the not-turkey and peppercorns in the not-steak. 

As for sausages I like a firmish but moist texture. Will get frozen veggie bangers sometimes, but I tend to use these now instead:

http://groceries.asda.com/asda-estore/search/searchcontainer.jsp?trailSize=1&searchString=asda+meat+free+linconshire+mix&domainName=Products&headerVersion=v1&_requestid=140729

The sky is purple and things are right every day

#5 Old 06-08-2012, 07:37 AM

The best one's I have treid are in the Aunt Bessies Veggetarian Toad in the Hole. This was what lead to my question really, as they seem quite dry compared to others I have tried? huh.gif

#6 Old 06-08-2012, 01:54 PM
Vegetarian

I had only had fake sausages once. Can't remember the brain, but it tasted a bit too real to me. A bit dry I think, but still very convincing. Too convincing, it creeped me out and I never had another one.

#7 Old 06-09-2012, 10:00 AM
Veggie Regular

I've tried a few different kinds and found that there is something in the Quorn ones that tastes like soapy rubber, but that Linda McCartney and most supermarket ones are pretty good. I usually eat them in sandwiches and smother them in vegan mayo and ketchup though, so its more about being a filling source of protein than fine flavour!

That awkward moment when your partner walks into the kitchen to find you huddled in the corner with an open container of nooch and a spoon and your mouth encrusted with little flakes...  
#8 Old 06-13-2012, 10:05 AM
Beginner

Linda McCartney sausages are the BEST (well, in my opinion obviously). This massively pleased me when I went veggie, as sausages are my junk food vice, I could eat them for every meal.

I think they have a 'meaty' texture, if that's what you're looking for, and you can also get them in a ready made toad in the hole. Her sausage rolls aren't too shabby either.

Hungry now.

I love my friends. So I don't eat them
I love animals. So I don't eat them either
#9 Old 06-13-2012, 12:03 PM
Veggie Regular

I actually am not a fan of sausage myself.

But I've heard good things about the MorningStar sausages.

"Ugliness, if given a powerful voice, can be beautiful."

-Martha Graham

#10 Old 06-13-2012, 08:44 PM
Veggie Regular

I like the ones made by Tofurky or by Field Roast. Yum!
#11 Old 06-14-2012, 11:54 PM

As mentioned, the itallian sausages from Tofurky are awesome. The mini sausages from Morning Star are good too.

#12 Old 06-17-2012, 08:51 AM
Veggie Regular

I like the ones from redwood and vegusto, never tried the tofurky ones nor the field roast.

They have a few different types, i tend to prefer the strong and spicy ones, whatever the brand.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
https://
https://www.autistici.org/en/index.html  https://riseup.net/en

https://pay.reddit.com/r/privacy/wiki/index

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page