Feeling extremely guilty after eating meat tonight. - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-08-2012, 03:56 AM

I haven't had any meat go past my lips for 3 months now. I was doing great until tonight, I have been craving chicken for a week or 2 now. Me and the parents went out for dinner and I opted for the chicken vindaloo and ate more than my parents combined. I'm only a 20 year old girl. I can't heåp but think my diet atm is extremely flawed and lacking some sort of vitamin. Needless to say when I reaåised what I did my stomache felt incredibly ill and I ran to the bathroom and vomited. Has anybody else relapsed? After this I won't male the same mistake.I think the error of my ways was quiting meat cold turkey.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-08-2012, 05:33 AM
Veggie Regular

It would take years for you to become deficient in any vitamin you would not get through plants (except b-12).
#3 Old 05-08-2012, 06:13 AM
Veggie Regular

Let it go- you will do so much good by being veg for the rest of your life, so don't beat yourself up about this. Stay on the path of righteousness from now on.......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-08-2012, 06:17 AM

Eating it tonight made me realise I really was on the right track, like I said I feel guilty but the clarification I have received from it is a positive. The fact it made me vomit straight after also showed I'm ready for the long haul.
#5 Old 05-08-2012, 06:19 AM
Veggie Regular

Have you tried Gardein , Quorn , or other mock meats that resemble chicken?
#6 Old 05-08-2012, 06:24 AM

I haven't but I really should try them out. My diet is far from healthy, I'm at work alllll day then come home at night for my only meal of day which mostly consists of carbs. I really need to dedicate some time to healthy food prep.
#7 Old 05-08-2012, 10:03 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydella View Post

I haven't but I really should try them out. My diet is far from healthy, I'm at work alllll day then come home at night for my only meal of day which mostly consists of carbs. I really need to dedicate some time to healthy food prep.

Well if you work all day you will need loads of carbs, so its not that bad.
#8 Old 05-08-2012, 11:24 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydella View Post

Make batches of things like soup and chilies that can be easily refrigerated/frozen and then reheated for a quick meal. I also do up fairly big batches of veggie burgers that will last a week for lunches... nuke a patty, toast a bun and put whatever condiments on it I want.

It's also much easier to prepare meals if one's meal time is flexible. Way easier with just two of us in the house than when there were kids in the house that had schedules and got cranky if I didn't get dinner ready till 8:30... now we eat when it's ready and not before and we're okay with that.
#9 Old 05-08-2012, 12:05 PM
Veggie Regular

dishes at restaurants usually have more calories from fat than cooking at home. and chicken breast itself is approx. 30% fat. plus the oils they use. try eating an avocado next time (which has protein as well).

feel better.
#10 Old 05-08-2012, 12:08 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by penny79 View Post

dishes at restaurants usually have more calories from fat than cooking at home. and chicken breast itself is approx. 30% fat. plus the oils they use. try eating an avocado next time (which has protein as well).

feel better.

as opposed to chicken breast?
avocado doesn't have any significant protein content anyway.

"Hell exists not to punish sinners, but to ensure that nobody sins in the first place."
#11 Old 05-08-2012, 12:12 PM
Veggie Regular

i don't know what you consider "significant," and that's your opinion, but for factual information, 1 cup of avocado has 5 g. of protein.

p.s., i was clearly stating some fat may satiate/satisfy the OP. not sure why you would argue with that, unless you disagree re: fat cals helping.
#12 Old 05-08-2012, 01:04 PM

Hey Jaydella, It's natural to wobble until you find balance ;-D Don't worry about it, it's an experience that has strengthened your decision.

I first went vegetarian a long time ago ( about 14 years), but I remember clearly eating a beef sandwich about 2 months into my newfound vegetarianism. I'd built it up in my head that I was missing out. I ate it, it didn't taste anything like as good as I was expecting it too, and I felt nauseous, so that was me all set from then on in.
Later on I became vegan, but a mystery health complaint and familial pressure led me to including animal products in my diet again a few years later. My health declined further still and eventually I figured out what was up. It wasn't a meat or dairy deficiency! Having these experiences has made me solid in my beliefs now. I'm a lifer!

Figure out some healthy choices, make sure you're eating enough and you'll be rockin!

Hi-carb, lo-fat, hi-raw Vegan - Look me up on YouTube!

#13 Old 05-08-2012, 06:45 PM
Super Moderator

Gardein is gooood! So are Boca chik'n patties-love those for a salad!
Can't you snack at work? Eat a good breakfast? Smoothie maybe?
Restaurants suck if they don't cater to veg*ns.

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#14 Old 05-08-2012, 07:31 PM
Veggie Regular

Yup, I've fallen of the wagon in the early days of being a vegetarian (vegan now), and while the meat tasted good, I couldn't enjoy it. After that, never again, and haven't looked back since.

Quote:
Originally Posted by penny79 View Post

i don't know what you consider "significant," and that's your opinion, but for factual information, 1 cup of avocado has 5 g. of protein.

Considering that 100 grams of avocado only contains 2 grams of protein, I'd say it's very little (although the quality of what's there is high).
#15 Old 05-08-2012, 07:54 PM
Veggie Regular

if we want to compare fat grams, which is what *I* was talking about, 385 calories of avocado has 35 g. of fat; 400 calories of chicken vindaloo has approx. 20 g. of fat.

http://caloriecount.about.com/calori...ndaloo-i112023

http://www.food.com/recipe/crock-pot...vindaloo-24139

http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recip...recipe=1110512

if someone's craving a meal with 1/3 of the MAXIMUM recommended fat grams per day in it, i'd say they might have a craving or need for some fat. no biggie. i didn't say avocado = chicken vindaloo.
#16 Old 05-08-2012, 08:21 PM

Hi friend,

Please don't beat yourself up; no one is perfect, and change takes time... the fact that you don't feel good about that choice shows that you're still on the veg path in your head. It feels good to be true to your own ethics and values, and bad otherwise! Over the course of your lifetime, you'll have lots of chances to get your inner values in alignment with your outer actions -- don't give up, and it will be easier each time. :-)

If I may offer some unsolicited advice... it's really hard to stay veg*n on an unhealthy diet... it will be easier AND healthier (and you'll feel better!) if you're careful about eating balanced whole/ real foods vs processed junk, be sure you're watching b12/omega 3's if you're eating vegan, get plenty of healthy fats like avocados/ nuts/ seeds/ healthy oils like hemp/flax/walnut/olive/sesame/almond oil, and be sure to eat enough calories for your body's needs... sorry if I sound preachy, I don't mean to! But it really does make it easier and more fun eating veg; and I think you'd have an easier time making your thoughts and actions match, that way, so you wouldn't 'cave' and then feel guilty. The other thing I think helped me the most was simple knowledge: the more I learned about the meat/ egg/ dairy industries, the less it looked like food to me (and the more it made me go 'ew')... makes it SOOOO easy to be hungry for other things! So definitely: seek out all the info you can about why people choose to be veg*n -- motivation makes everything easier!

Message me if you'd like some links to specific articles about shifting towards healthy veg eating, 'knowledge-is-power' media recommendations to keep you motivated, or helpful veg*n nutrition resources!

I think you're doing great -- just trying is more than most people do. It really does get easier the longer you keep at it. Don't stop trying! And you'll see what I mean. :-)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page