It's all over...I'm going back to meat-eating. - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 03-27-2004, 12:39 PM
Veggie Regular

I've been reading about vegetarianism and decided that I have been tricked and led into a fad diet without any true proof that it is better. The only meat I'm going to eat is chicken...though its going to be hard going back.

I got my blood test back and they said I'm developing allergies, I've never had them before...and now that I'm vegetarian I'm getting them???

I just think this whole diet is a joke, I'm not going to eat too much meat, I'm only going to eat the recommended amount which isn't that much.

Best of luck to all of you...but I'm giving up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-27-2004, 12:44 PM
Veggie Regular

Don't you even think about it

Now you get right back here and finish your broccoli!
#3 Old 03-27-2004, 12:54 PM
Veggie Regular

wow.

You've been seriously misled about vegetarianism and healthy eating. I'll leave this to a more qualified member to post more on minimum requirements of veggie eating and the human immune system.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 03-27-2004, 12:55 PM
Veggie Regular

I guess you'll have to change your list name...
#5 Old 03-27-2004, 12:58 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegan_hottie07 View Post

I have been tricked and led into a fad diet without any true proof that it is better.

By whom? I would also be interested to know what literature has convinced you of this.

Quote:

I got my blood test back and they said I'm developing allergies, I've never had them before...and now that I'm vegetarian I'm getting them???

Not seeing the correlation. I have never heard of anyone developing allergies simply from becoming vegetarian.

Quote:

I just think this whole diet is a joke

Whatever

Quote:

I'm not going to eat too much meat, I'm only going to eat the recommended amount which isn't that much.

Last time I checked it was 2 servings a day. An awful lot of animals die for that.

Look, no one can tell you what to eat, it's completely up to you. I just don't find that what you've written makes much sense, or has a whole lot of accuracy. If you feel that eating meat is what's best for you, nobody can or wants to stop you. But you might want to make sure you have your facts straight.
#6 Old 03-27-2004, 01:05 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm sorry to hear that.

There are many others on here better qualified to go into the nutrition side of things, but I can assure you that I'm certainly no less healthy than I was before I went veggie 10 years ago.

Personally even if it was PROVEN (which I don't think it ever will be) that vegetarians were less healthy, I'd still never go back to meat-eating because for me not participating in animal suffering is more important than pretty much anything else. That might sound silly, but it's true.

I agree with Meatless - I've never heard of anyone developing an allergy from going vegetarian.

Still, you have to do what you feel is right. Hopefully one day you'll feel able to re-consider.
#7 Old 03-27-2004, 01:10 PM
Veggie Regular

Vegan_Hottie - have you noticed any other negative impacts on your health or is it just the allergy thing? Maybe if you give us some specifics then we can give you some tips, if you want them.

And remember - not everyone gets it right the first time. If you want to give being veg*n another shot further down the line don't be shy to ask for advice. We'll be happy to help out if you want us to.
#8 Old 03-27-2004, 01:16 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I've been reading about vegetarianism and decided that I have been tricked and led into a fad diet without any true proof that it is better. The only meat I'm going to eat is chicken...though its going to be hard going back.

I just think this whole diet is a joke, I'm not going to eat too much meat, I'm only going to eat the recommended amount which isn't that much.

Best of luck to all of you...but I'm giving up.

I'm sorry to hear this. I really do believe that anyone who is vegetarian for non-ethical reasons is really only a short-term vegetarian, only to move to another diet at some later time. Being a vegetarian or a vegan shouldn't be considered a "diet" but instead a "cuisine." It can be healthy, unhealthy, fattening, low-calorie, boring, exciting, complex, simple, epicurean, bland, expensive, or cheap. I think it should be treated like some strange decision to change your eating to another ethnicity's cultural cuisine... a decision that requires a lot of study to satisfy all of one's aesthetic, nutritional. and economic needs. And if one is not willing to take the time and effort that is required to satisfy one's self gastronomically, then one is sentencing one's self to continual disappointment. This really applies to whatever one's diet (in the larger sense of the word, meaning one's choice of food) is. Our schools teach nutrition, but they don't teach food and cuisine and how it relates to our economic, cultural, and health needs, which is a real shame.

Jim
#9 Old 03-27-2004, 01:33 PM

Vegan_Hottie07,

I don't understand how being a vegetarian could be the cause of your allergies. I thought that people just develop them no matter what they eat. Maybe you could think about what made you want to be in a vegetarian. Were there other reasons why you wanted to be a vegetarian besides the health issue such as environmental aspects or animal suffering issues?

Amber
#10 Old 03-27-2004, 01:43 PM
Veggie Regular

The allergies.. these things can pop up from no-where!

For example, the first few times I ever took penecillin I was fine. I am now allergic to it. Therefore, yes ..something you are consuming you may be allergic to, but I doubt you are allergic to everything except meat.

Really though, if you are feeling unwell, or that you are lacking nutrients, chances are you would feel that way on any "diet". Make sure you're getting enough of everything before you jump to conclusions. Maybe keep a food diary to see what sparks you off, or see a nutritionist.
#11 Old 03-27-2004, 01:43 PM
Veggie Regular

Sorry my initial post was sarcastic. I guess I was just a little put off by the tone of your initial post (ie. refering to vegetarianism as a "fad" and a "joke"). I'm vegan and am the healthiest I've ever been in my life. In addition to not using animal products though, I make sure to get a varied diet of nutrient-dense whole foods and I exercise regularly. What exactly is your lifestyle like? Did you do much research into vegetarian nutrition? Do you exercise and avoid environmental toxins whenever possible? It's possible to be unhealthy whether you eat meat or not since a lot of different factors go into health. However, I've never heard of allergies resulting from not eating meat, and would find that hard to believe. What did your doctor say about your allergies? Foods people are commonly allergic to include: shellfish, dairy, eggs, wheat, soy, nuts, and a few other things. Allergies can also result from cleaning products, including laundry detergent, mold in the home, and any number of environmental factors. Has your doctor looked into all of these possibilities?

As a final note, if you're approaching vegetarianism as a fad diet along the lines of Atkins or South Beach or the Zone, or any number of other "diets," then to you it is a fad. If you're approaching vegetarianism as a way of life that is better for you, animals and the planet as a whole as many of us here are then the word fad doesn't even apply. It sounds like you have some research to do and some thinking to do about your motivations in becoming vegetarian. I hope it becomes less of a joke to you and I wish you the best of luck.
#12 Old 03-27-2004, 01:44 PM
Administrator

Here's a novel idea... Why don't you ask your doctor?

And since you feel as though you were "tricked" I'm not sure what the point is in posting here. If we talk you out of it you'll probably feel as though you were "tricked" again in another 2 months.

I'm also not sure why you would want to eat as little meat as possible if you feel vegetarianism is a "joke." Vegetarianism is obviously not a "joke" or a "trick" when there are millions of people leading very healthy lives on a vegetarian, vegan, and even raw foods diet. And this "fad" diet has been around for thousands of years. Just because you have problems (that are more than likely not even attributable to your vegetarianism) doesn't mean the whole thing is a scam.

The very fact that you refer to vegetarianism as a "joke," "fad," and "trick" along with your own admission that you were "led" leads me to believe that you didn't research it very well.

VeggieBoards Alumni Facebook Group

If you're an old time VB'er stop by and say hi!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#13 Old 03-27-2004, 01:44 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm sorry to read this. I just wanted to add that it's normal, if not unfortunate, for people to gain and sometimes lose allergies as they get older. I grew an allergy to cats in the past year, and it stinks. It had nothing to do with my eating meat though. The same goes with food allergies.
#14 Old 03-27-2004, 02:03 PM
Veggie Regular

I dunno, I'm just really confused. I chose it mostly for my health and animals, I live for soccer, I want to do my best and in order to do that I wanted to be healthy, I'm scared that I'm going to be unhealthy. I'll ask my doctor some more questions and find out what I'm allergic to. I haven't ate any meat yet but I just need more time to think about it.
#15 Old 03-27-2004, 02:05 PM
Veggie Regular

Hmmmm..... Just like any other diet, it's possible and easy to do vegetarianism wrong. You can eat too much junk food, go crazy with nuts, etc. In my case, I like beans and oils way too much. Rather than stopping being vegetarian, I adjust my diet.

As for sources, a fad, and being tricked, what have you been reading? I've seen just as many bad sources on vegetarianism, as I have good. If the source says that every disease you've ever had will be cured, and you will die of old age looking like you're 20, I pitch that one and go onto others.

Oh well. I do hope you don't give up. But if you do, thanks for the time you spent not killing animals.
#16 Old 03-27-2004, 02:08 PM
Veggie Regular

In case you didn't see it, I left a response in the other thread before it was locked

https://www.veggieboards.com/boards/s...ad.php?t=16608
#17 Old 03-27-2004, 02:19 PM
Administrator

Quote:

I dunno, I'm just really confused. I chose it mostly for my health and animals, I live for soccer, I want to do my best and in order to do that I wanted to be healthy, I'm scared that I'm going to be unhealthy. I'll ask my doctor some more questions and find out what I'm allergic to. I haven't ate any meat yet but I just need more time to think about it.

I can understand it's frustrating and you're probably torn between what you want to do and what you feel you have to do.

Don't get too stressed over it until you talk to your doctor.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#18 Old 03-27-2004, 02:20 PM
Banned

"this whole diet is a joke"? the only thing that's laughable here is your statement. good riddance!
#19 Old 03-27-2004, 02:24 PM
Administrator

I got a little defensive myself but let's try to keep this fairly supportive.

#20 Old 03-27-2004, 02:54 PM
Veggie Regular

please dont give up vegan_hottie

ever seen meat your meet or chew on this ? or forget even any peta movie but it seems that you love animals alot, and i dont know.. cant you perhaps think of them before you take a bite into a peice of meat or chicken ?

and perhaps you shudnt make fun of the diet with this being veg*n boards
#21 Old 03-27-2004, 03:10 PM

Veggie, While you are thinking...

It's very important to eat enough. Do you eat the rest of the foods on either pyramid?

Too much dairy may be messing you up and bothering your allergies.

I never felt so better as when I gave up dairy and I had digestive issues, allergies year round, headaches, AND athritis.

There are some basics to have around, here are some of mine: Nut butters, great organic bread, seeds, dried fruits(you can do things with these), nuts, grains, beans, rice, lentils(i am sure red lentils cooked on the stove and eaten plain was made for soccer players), cereal, rice milk, earth balance spread, apples or whatever your local like-fruit is.
#22 Old 03-27-2004, 03:40 PM
Veggie Regular

A fad diet? Vegetarianism is a lifestyle, not a fad diet. The only meat you're going back to is chicken?

Chicken flesh is not a health food. In addition to hormones and antibiotics, chicken is loaded with fat and cholesterolexactly as much as beef, 25 milligrams per ounce, even without the skin. Great diet.
#23 Old 03-27-2004, 03:41 PM
Veggie Regular

/confused. What were you tricked about? You didn't really explain anything, just said it was all a big joke, which doesn't make sense to those of us who still believe that veganism is better for the animals and for our own health.

I will say that I think there is a lot of exageration in many of the animal rights pages such as PETA and PCRM and EarthSave, both about the health benefits and about the treatment of animals, but if you take away all the exagerated claims and look at the facts there's still a wealth of reasons to go vegetarian. If you want facts on health benefits visit http://www.veganhealth.org/ which admits that many of the claims made by others are exagerated, and shows the concerns one needs to have when going on a vegetarian or vegan diet. If you want information on the treatment of animals, go to the source, the USDA or the farming bureau of whatever country you're from.
#24 Old 03-27-2004, 03:49 PM
Veggie Regular

vegan_hottie, you are only 15 and there's so much to learn about everything. It's always wise not to come to an overly generalized conclusion too fast----well, even when you are 51. Follow some of the links people gave you and try to some more research. If you ever decide to be a hot vegan again, I believe nobody will say "told you...".

And everyone, let's keep our voices down knowing that vegan_hottie is a fairly young and newly to veg diet
#25 Old 03-27-2004, 03:55 PM
Veggie Regular

Epinephrine,I wasn't meaning to make fun of it at all! I think you totally misinterpreted me, I wasn't making fun of vegetarianism at all...or at least I didn't mean too. :/

Froggythefrog and Hethr- Well I made sure that I ate enough vegetables and fruit everyday (3 servings each, sometimes even more) I hardly ate any sugar...literally, I drink 1 cup of orange juice everyday, make sure I eat at least 1 serving of beans every 2 days, I have a pb sandwich on whole-wheat bread and cereal mon-friday everyday, and I take a multi-vitamin everyday.

*sprout*- I dunno whats going through my head, I have saw both of those movies, I feel like a horrible jerk to even consider eating meat after watching those...I just don't wanna mess up my body, I want to keep my body healthy but at the same time I want to save and respect animals. I guess I better do more research...luckily I'm still meat free.

Bobsy- I haven't talked to my doctor yet so I don't know what I'm allergic to yet but as soon as I do I'll definently

Michael and everyone else- I'm sorry some...maybe all, of my post was kinda...or...very...offending, and wrong. I shouldn't have defined vegetariansim as a "fad" diet or a joke. A lot have people have lived being vegetarian and are very healthy. I guess next time I shouldn't react so fast and think it though before I say or do anything. I just really have no education on the diet other than my own research on the internet. I'm probably going to go to ebay and get a book an veganism and read it before I go vegan, I am going to stay vegetarian though. I am really sorry though. Thanks for all of the support, I needed it
#26 Old 03-27-2004, 03:56 PM
Veggie Regular

"Luke, I'm your father!"

"Nooooo!!"

Sorry but I couldn't resist.

All kidding a side here, I'd listen to some of the others here first.

As someone mentioned, you can get allergies at any point in your life for a huge variety of reasons. It's not just from milk!

There are many different kinds of healthy diets, veggie being one of them if it's followed correctly. That's the key to any diet.

Talk to your doctor and follow your heart but don't jump the gun.

If being veggie truely is important to you then you might just want to slow down a bit. Regardless of what you do, do it for you and get rid of the guilt.

I've read others here say that being veggie is one step at a time or in this case one mouthful at a time.

Good luck

Jeffer
#27 Old 03-27-2004, 04:01 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffer View Post

There are many different kinds of healthy diets, veggie being one of them if it's followed correctly. That's the key to any diet.

Talk to your doctor and follow your heart but don't jump the gun.

If being veggie truely is important to you then you might just want to slow down a bit. Regardless of what you do, do it for you and get rid of the guilt.

I've read others here say that being veggie is one step at a time or in this case one mouthful at a time.

Good luck

Jeffer

I love you, you big veg*n supportive omnivore!

Jim
#28 Old 03-27-2004, 04:22 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Epinephrine,I wasn't meaning to make fun of it at all! I think you totally misinterpreted me, I wasn't making fun of vegetarianism at all...or at least I didn't mean too. :/

Um, maybe you didn't mean to but maybe have a second look at these comments:

Quote:

I've been reading about vegetarianism and decided that I have been tricked and led into a fad diet without any true proof that it is better....I just think this whole diet is a joke

That's gonna put people on the defensive. And it does sound like making fun of vegetariansim.

Nonetheless, good luck in deciding what's right for you. I hope what you decide doesn't involve the needless death and harm of animals, but ultimately the choice is up to you.
#29 Old 03-27-2004, 04:50 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm sorry you're giving up, and I'm kinda disappointed that someone who seemed so enthusiastic about switching to a veg lifestyle calls it a "fad diet" and a joke. I'm sorry about your allergies, but I've never heard of vegetarianism causing allergies. And I don't think it's a fad diet because most vegetarians do not go veg for a month, drop 15 pounds, and switch back to their old diet. But a healthy vegetarian diet can, in the long run, be better for you. Not to mention how good it is for the 83 animals a year that you won't be killing. Good luck whatever you decide to do.
#30 Old 03-27-2004, 05:01 PM
Veggie Regular

As people have said, you can develop allergies to pretty much anything at any point in your life. Most allergies develop over time and exposure, and aren't with you from birth.

Just because you're noticing them now doesn't mean that being veg is what caused them. Though if you're like most vegetarians, you're eating a LOT more variety than you did as a meat eater.. that's how I found out that I might be allergic to eggplant. Never ate it before going veg. It makes me feel sick half the time so I avoid it.

Regardless, I seriously hope that you do research, allergy tests, and so on before making a leap to quit something that you say you care about. If you feel tricked into it, maybe you need to re-evaluate WHY you went veg in the first place. If it was indeed for health, look at health sites. Look for medical sites. I know there are very many heart health sites that promote veggie diets for patients, for heart health. Just make sure you're getting medical information from unbiased sources - PETA is good for the "this happens to animals" slant, for sure, and if that's a reason you went veg, and want to stay veg, keep looking there for that kind of thing. But unbiased medical research on humans regarding veg diets, not paid for by meat/dairy or veg groups, is what you should look for.

Do what you think is right, but no one can force you into a decision to go veg, it's 100% your choice to make, so if you felt that someone misled you... well, look in the mirror, and figure out why you really made the choice in the first place.

Best wishes whatever you decide to do.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page