It's all over...I'm going back to meat-eating. - Page 2 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#31 Old 03-27-2004, 06:35 PM
Beginner

come on just dont do it! it may be hard not to eat meat but come on! 3/4 of the people on here are vegan! and anyways what kind of alergies are u getting? milk alergeise? lol most vegans get those at one time or another!

now u just get back to your veggi lifesyle!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 Old 03-27-2004, 06:38 PM
Veggie Regular

I think you should wait to find out specifically what kind of allegies you have then eliminate those specific foods from your diet. Don't give up yet.
#33 Old 03-27-2004, 06:41 PM
Veggie Regular

As a follow up to my last post, it is certainly your choice if you want to go back to eating meat. If you're going back for health reasons I think fish would be a better choice than chicken. If you have no ethical objections to eating meat then a little bit isn't going to hurt you, though you may find eating a little bit will make you want to eat a lot more over time. I would still like to know what you were tricked about and what you find to be a joke?

Peace,

- kp
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#34 Old 03-27-2004, 07:07 PM
Banned

"Vegan" hottie, if you feel you need some fat, calories, and protein, why not eat some peanuts or peanut butter? Those are great, healthy foods!

I hope you choose to remain a vegan or vegetarian, at least.
#35 Old 03-27-2004, 07:53 PM

I'm sorry, but you can't come here and call vegetarianism/veganism a "joke", and say that you were "tricked" without offending people. Basically everyone took it as you mocking our lifestyle, which obviously isn't appreciated.

For not wanting to be offensive, it sure was.

If you feel strongly enough about it, what would be stopping you? it's YOUR choice to eat properly or not.. and i doubt veganism is the cause of your allergies. Allergies can come out of nowhere, at any age.

The first time i tried going veg I wasn't very successful because I did not properly read up on how to be healthy, and I ended up not feeling so great. I think I lacked tons of iron and b12 or something... But I am not saying I was much healthier as an omni- I was a fast food junkie! I think i was unhealthy because I got all my information from one peta brochure (I didn't care much about dairy then because i didn't know much). My diet consisted of morningstar farms, cheese, a few veggies every so often, and a bit of tofu. I should have researched it much more. Then almost 2 years ago I finally did the ovo-lacto thing properly, then last year I went vegan, after researching for a few months on proper nutrition.
#36 Old 03-27-2004, 07:54 PM
Veggie Regular

Hey there, girl.

My bet is that your food allergies are caused by eating more of a certain food since you have gone veggie- maybe wheat? soy?

You can still be veg*n, but it might take a little more work. I think if you need some more info on nutrition, you should search the internet. www.vrg.org has some good info...also, you can PM me if you just want to talk about this more. There are solutions out there, like slowly eliminating certain classes of food to find out what is making you flair up.

We can work on it, dearie! Don't give up if you don't want to!!

lovenlight,

Linz
#37 Old 03-27-2004, 07:57 PM
Veggie Regular

Hey...guys?

I know some of vegan_hotties comments sounded anti veg. But I think she's frustrated because she wants this diet and its making her sick because she's not doing it properly for her body perhaps?, and I think she posted because deep down, she wants help. Correct me if I am wrong, of course, vegan_hottie!! I don't mean to step on any toes...I just thought...well sometimes people don't verbalize things the right way...

#38 Old 03-27-2004, 10:02 PM
Beginner

#39 Old 03-27-2004, 10:21 PM
Banned

Let us not get carried away with our responses. These are her frustraited feelings expressed and not an attack on anyone personally.

This is a journey and for some of us, this has not been easy. I will never think like a vegan, and I just don't see a need to give up eggs and dairy. So for every day I eat vegan, that is a real win for the animals. I still have to take it one day at a time.

My advise, do what you must do to feel well one mouthful at a time. Count your wins and don't beat yourself up about it. It doesn't help.

In case you haven't noticed, it helps no one's determination by being jumped on for telling the truth. Isn't that how we teach our children to lie to us? Let her tell us the truth and vent her frustraitions without fear of verbal lacerations in reply.

15, IMO any 15 year old who is trying to eat healthy has my respect.
#40 Old 03-27-2004, 10:28 PM

From what you say that's only 800 calories.

Double all the grains and fat and eat all the local seasonal organic food you can find.

You don't have to change over night.

It's too late for you to go totally back knowing what you know, so just try and make choices. Read labels, find out what is in there, can it be done better, do you really need it..

I didn't even really know about factory farming when I went vegan, so many do for a lot of reasons. For me it was because I decided to withdraw my support for that which I didn't feel comfortable and whalla. Now you know the family and friends have a hard time with my not eating animal products, but no one was more suprised than me.

I found people have too many sauces and seasonings. When you eat that chicken, don't try to trick you, have it plain.

One really needs a few days in advance menu.

More food...

Organic popcorn is so cheap in the bulk bins at my supermarket! I have it with melted earth balance and sea salt. I got fresh ground almond butter today. It's expensive for organic so it's a real treat when I have it. I had it(them!) on fresh ww bread with a banana. OMG I made the best biscuits tonight for a fabulous some old(from the freezer) some new soup. There are lots of biscuit recipes online so I won't find this one, but it had soy milk, baking powder, org white flour, earth balance, sea salt mmm I think thats it. Perfect. I like them the next day with jam. I am thinking also frozen berries and some not sour cream. I make all kinds of Dinner entree loaves. My favorite was such a surprise. Calls for grinding lentils. I remember not knowing you could do this and use it in all sorts of recipes and especially that it smells so good all ground. To make couscous more hearty I grind almonds and toss them in. Here is my favorite macaroni caserole: http://members.efn.org/~sundance/NutritionalYeast.html and even those who don't remember a thing called tuna salad will be delighted AND shocked with this recipe I just found: http://www.petaeats.com/recipeshow.asp?RequestID=322

I made mine w/the carrot, very small diced onion, diced celery, the kelp, and veganaise and was able to get sandwich rolls from our food cooperative.

Oop talking on and on about food again.
#41 Old 03-27-2004, 11:05 PM
Veggie Regular

Thanks for all of the help and calculations (hethr). I have decided to stay vegetarian, but I'm going to hold off veganism for a while until I'm more educated. I actually didn't realize how much I wasn't eating...especially for the amount of exercise I do. I think I'd actually get sick if I ever bit into a peice of meat again. Rainbowmoon and Life2k you are right about my frustration , hearing my family argue with me about what is right..people saying it's not healthy, the fear of messing with my body's diet and having a bad result, wanting to do good in something for once (track), and wanting to make a difference but not hurt myself.

I'm sorry I said things that offended a lot of you and I really didn't do it intentionally. I hope you guys can forgive me and give me another chance .
#42 Old 03-27-2004, 11:11 PM
Banned

We love ya! Hang in there.
#43 Old 03-28-2004, 12:11 AM
Veggie Regular

VH07, I'm glad you're staying veggie! I know how hard it can be when everyone is telling you veg*nism isn't healthy--just remember that chances are they don't know much about it. A lot of the same rumors are spread around, like the "lack of protein" argument. I don't blame you for your post, it's frustrating for some people. It seems like you found out you had allergies and freaked out, which is perfectly normal. Good luck, and remember the animals!

Check out my webcomic! www.GrammarComic.com
#44 Old 03-28-2004, 12:26 AM
Veggie Regular

All right. Rather than add in my $.10 to the criticisms and so forth here, I will simply add some links that might enlighten our friend further as to appropriate veg health:

"It is the position of the American Dietetic Association and Dietitians of Canada that appropriately planned vegetarian diets are healthful, nutritionally adequate, and provide health benefits in the prevention and treatment of certain diseases."

-- J Am Diet Assoc. 2003;103:748-765 (http://www.eatright.org/Public/Gover...s/92_17084.cfm)

http://www.vegetariannutrition.net/

http://www.vrg.org/nutrition/index.htm

http://www.vegetarian-nutrition.info/

For athletes:

http://home.pacbell.net/epski/vegan/...VegAthlete.pdf

http://home.pacbell.net/epski/vegan/...ition/cf-e.pdf

BTW, this is a doc about making the switch to a vegetarian diet, but it sounds to me that you never made the initial switch successfully in the first place, so it should be helpful to you:

http://www.vegetariannutrition.net/f...vegetarian.pdf

Information is power!
#45 Old 03-28-2004, 12:52 AM
Veggie Regular

Wow.... 15. Yes, do definitely do some research. Be sure you're getting plenty of grains. Pasta is the easiest way to go there. Do take it slow, and don't stress out.

Did "fad" diet come from some onlooking adults? Don't answer that.

You have a good source of support here on the boards. Stick with it. You won't regret it. A good diet should keep your soccer game strong.
#46 Old 03-28-2004, 01:32 AM

Hello all! I've never posted on here before! Please hang in there Vegan_Hottie... I've been vegetarian for over 24 years, but vegan only for the last two years. For some of us, it's a process. You don't have to make huge changes over night. It's like any revolution... a shift in paradigms... work away at it at your own speed and appreciate the trip. BTW, what is this Earth Balance that everyone keeps mentioning? Is that an American product?
#47 Old 03-28-2004, 01:36 AM
Administrator

Yep, I believe it's a margarine of some sort that is dairy-free.

Welcome to VB (and thanks for the supportive post)!

VeggieBoards Alumni Facebook Group

If you're an old time VB'er stop by and say hi!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#48 Old 03-28-2004, 01:51 AM
Veggie Regular

Yeah, Earth Balance ruuuuuules!

And, yes, it is a shift in paradigms. Glad to see someone else putting it that way. Such shifts do not always come easily, because we have many years of seeing things one way, and cannot simply start looking at everything in an entirely new way overnight, no matter how hard we try.
#49 Old 03-28-2004, 05:27 AM

Hi everyone, VH07 could your allergic reactions possibly be stress related. Hear me out, I'll try to explain.

I have one allergy to asprin (my eyes swell shut when I take it) that's it. But two years ago I made a huge move to a country with an entirely different culture. Up to the point of my move I thought I was handling it pretty well. Not to emotional, going about daily activities like nothing was really about to change.

Well one night I went out to eat (this was about two weeks before I was to leave) and boom! I broke out in hives, my eyes swelled shut. I didn't know what was going on 'cause I hadn't taken any asprin that's for sure. Well, this kept happening everytime I ate. I went to an allergist, he ran some tests, gave me a long list of foods and things (like laundry detergent) to avoid untill we could figure out what my new allergy was. I moved before he could figure anything out.

The thing is, since then I haven't had a problem. We figure it was simply my body's way of saying "Hey! You're stressed. Huge things are happening in your life. Slow down and see what's going on." Could you be experienceing something similair? Being 15, in high school, worried about grades, social life, playing soccer, having big games, and trying to worry about a diet and people constantly argueing with you about that diet sounds pretty full-on to me. I don't know if it helps, but maybe it's one more area you can look into.

Anyhow, good on ya...
#50 Old 03-28-2004, 06:30 AM
Veggie Regular

Some people have a 'failure to thrive' on a vegetarian diet.

http://www.beyondveg.com/ has some info on it (warning, site really isn't veg*n friendly -- its rather biased in

its own way -- which isn't to say its not useful!).

Basically, after switching to a vegetarian diet, some people develope health problems.

Due to a lack of research the cause is unknown -- it may be as simple as improper nutrition. It may be as complex as some sort of unknown deficiency or nutritional requirement present in a small portion of the population. Or perhaps its a coincidence. Nobody knows.

As a vegan, I watch my diet and don't have any major problems. Is it a cure-all? Nope. My triglycerides are

in the 500s (normal 'high-end' is 150). Do I have to pay attention to my diet? Somewhat -- I try to make sure I get a source of b12 daily, and watch my iron intake (cereal + soy milk helps alot).

Don't get the wrong impression -- the Standard American Diet (SAD) is quite nasty, resulting in plenty of preventable deaths (the number one and number two causes of death in the US can be the result of a bad diet). People need to pay attention to what they eat - omni, vegetarian, or vegan.

We are all walking around with brains that are hardwired to believe that fats and calories are a scarcity, and that plant foods are plentiful. Yet, in the modern, western country, just the opposite is true -- we can easily gorge ourselves on fats and empty calories, and neglect plant foods.

Btw, none of us are medical professionals. Even though I'm guessing that there's a lot of us who know more about veg*n nutrition off the top of our heads then the average medical professional, please don't consider our advice a substitute for medical attention -- find a proper nutritionist or doctor.

That being said, we need more information -- How old are you? What sort of allergies are you developing? What is your typical weekly diet? Did anything else change in your life -- weight, environment, etc.
#51 Old 03-28-2004, 07:08 AM
Veggie Regular

I agree with Michael that you should talk to a qualified physician or nutritionist about this. One of the benefits of giving up meat and dairy for ME, is that I am healthier than I've been since I was about sixteen. I really think that the only reason a vegetarian has to be unhealthy is that they either don't do the studying to support their dietary decision...or like many of us on here, they don't give a crap about the health aspects in the first place....but are strictly in it for the animals.

Vegetarianism isn't a 'fad diet'. For many of us and for entire cultures around the planet, it's actually a very integral part of our way of life. I suggest some real...serious reading for you. Getting comfortable with the ins and outs of being vegetarian, rather than just giving it up and jumping on the next bandwagon that comes along.

It does take real commitment to yourself and your choices. But there are those of us who actually believe that commitment and discipline are good things .

Anyway, good luck. It does sound to me like you are making a rash decision and that maybe it isn't the first time. But whenever I'm faced with a decision like this, I try and remember the old mormon addage (I'm not mormon...but I like the creed) "Choose The Right". I think if you do that, you can't go wrong.

B
#52 Old 03-28-2004, 07:15 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegan_hottie07 View Post

Thanks for all of the help and calculations (hethr). I have decided to stay vegetarian, but I'm going to hold off veganism for a while until I'm more educated. I actually didn't realize how much I wasn't eating...especially for the amount of exercise I do. I think I'd actually get sick if I ever bit into a peice of meat again. Rainbowmoon and Life2k you are right about my frustration , hearing my family argue with me about what is right..people saying it's not healthy, the fear of messing with my body's diet and having a bad result, wanting to do good in something for once (track), and wanting to make a difference but not hurt myself.

I'm sorry I said things that offended a lot of you and I really didn't do it intentionally. I hope you guys can forgive me and give me another chance .

Dang it, I knew I should have kept reading.....neverminddddd.......

Good luck to you. And hang in there. For your family, I'd get my hands on some health/dietary information that supports your vegetarian perspective. Once they know that YOU know what you're doing, they'll get over themselves. At first my family was really put off by my decision and were very worried...but I've run a vegetarian household for 2.5 years, and they see that I'm realllly healthy. So now when I visit, I get a lot of questions about good nutrition. So good for you, hang in there and get to work on informing your family. Whole cultures are vegetarian...and lots of people lead really long, full, healthy lives as vegetarians. There's really no reason NOT to do it.

B
#53 Old 03-28-2004, 10:35 AM
Ama
Veggie Regular

vegan_hottie, I just wanted to say that your initial post sounded like you were absolutely desperate to be talked out of it. So I'm glad our fellow posters succeeded

Good luck!
#54 Old 03-28-2004, 11:15 AM
Veggie Regular

In reference to das_nut's earlier post, beyondveg.com is a good site, and I actually read a lot of it before ever becoming vegetarian. It's kind of a good "what to avoid happening in your diet" and "what theories don't really prove vegetarianism is natural" and "what mindsets to avoid getting locked into" website. It's more of a sanity-check site.

I found this site while quite a while back when I discovered raw foodism and fruitarianism, and was looking for evidence that those diets were unhealthy. On the way, I learned why cooked food was unhealthy too. (In my case after seeing that nutritional and caloric needs were met much easier with cooked foods and that there are reasons you do NOT want to eat some foods uncooked, I decided the more typical vegetarian-->vegan path was the way to go.)
#55 Old 03-28-2004, 11:15 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm glad you're sticking with it! It's not easy dealing with family and friends that are concerned for you, but misinformed about diet/nutrition. Many of us here deal with this, so we know where you're coming from! Just educate your family the best way you can--by example--and things will hopefully work themselves out.

Like hethr said, 800 calories is way too low for anyone (except a small child), especially if you're physically active. Make sure you're eating enough grains. Whole grains have a lot of fiber and they do fill you up fast, so if you can't stomach eating all whole grains, just aim for 2 servings of whole grains a day and fill in the rest with white grains. Build yourself up from there slowly. Make sure you keep up eating the fruits and vegetables (sounds like you're doing great with this). Protein--make sure to have a couple of servings of either beans, peas, lentils, nuts, tofu, or protein-packed meat analogues every day. Make sure you have at least three reliable sources of calcium daily whether they be fortified oj, fortified non-dairy milks, leafy greens (not spinach), tofu, dairy, sesame seeds, or blackstrap molasses. If you need extra calories add some peanut butter, avocado, olive oil, or flax seed oil here and there. A little junk food every now and then is ok, too.

About the allergies--see your doctor. If you have any other problems see your doctor or a nutritionist.

Good luck! Visit some of those links others have posted. They have some good information!
#56 Old 03-28-2004, 01:12 PM
Beginner

i just want to add that you also need to be aware that you can get too much of somethings (like iron) and that can be harmful as well, so do you research...also, if your doc is giving you a hard time about your diet ( i think thats what i read?) then you are entitled to a second opinion...they aren't always right and sometimes their biases get in the way of 'fair' treatment .

kayrbear, earth balance is available in canada (well, bc anyway) if thats what you were asking...its yummy...
#57 Old 03-28-2004, 03:54 PM
Veggie Regular

*insert snarky comment here*

#58 Old 03-28-2004, 04:30 PM
Veggie Regular

"Theres Nothing in meat you cant get somewhere else"
#59 Old 03-28-2004, 05:02 PM

vegan_hottie, great to hear you looking up. Must have been the macaroni casserole. That does it for me every time.

There are so many food for you to explore that you will change and change probably.

A note on the allergies and eating in general, trying to eat mostly local to you foods may help avoid some whoknowswhat allergens that may not be on the ingredient list. Smell the food, touch it, touch it to your lips if it feels like you want to eat it then try a bite. If it is poo or gives you tingles, spit it out. If at any time you are uncomfortable eating something, stop.

Also in my supermarket, in the bulk bin, organic, is oat bran. Very cheap. The label will say the water to oat ratio, but I guess. Boil water with a little sea salt, add oat bran, turn down heat and use a whisk to stir. At any time I add soy milk to 'fix' and all sorts of other things. I love hot wheat cereal and it's easy now to find organic shredded wheat to use. I add hot water to shredded wheat and then rice milk then about 1/4 tsp org natural sugar.
#60 Old 03-28-2004, 05:11 PM
Veggie Regular

Speaking of upping calories and yummy veg*n foods:

http://www.theppk.com/recipes/dbreci...p?RecipeID=111

Its basically empty calories, but really yummy empty calories.

For healthier foods, try picking up some whole grain bread (theres some sort of nutty wheat breat that appears to be vegan where I shop at), some veganaise (or make your own: http://www.theppk.com/recipes/dbreci...hp?RecipeID=43) and tuno or tomatoes -- make tunofish or tomato sandwiches. Yummie! Or go with vegan chili - pick up cans of tomato sauce, chili beans, stewed tomatos, and mix them all together until have something that looks good -- add some hot sauce or some salsa and you're set. There is always pasta as well -- noodles and spaghetti sauce isn't hard to make.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page