Hard gelatin tabs - is it ok to break them open and just put the powdered med in food - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-16-2012, 09:18 PM

or drink? I have just received a prescription for doxycycline that unfortunately comes in big horse-pill gelatin caps. Is it ok to open them up and put the powder in a drink or some food instead of ingesting the gelatin?

I really do not relish the idea of putting that into my body. (The gelatin) I tried putting the powder in some water tonight and it was very very hard to get down but I did swallow. Maybe I should try putting it in some soy milk or something.

I know the gelatin capsule is there as a way to protect the stomach from irritation. So I am a little worried about my plan. ;-0 I will have to take these horse pills for three months straight.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-16-2012, 09:31 PM

I know one of my meds says that if you have the capsule, you can just empty the power on food or in drink, but prob not true for all meds.

google came up with this Yahoo Answers page for doxycycline:
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...2145417AA6e85R

and people there were saying that it is not time release, but that without capsule you may get vomiting...so you would soon know if it wasn't right for you, that being true.

#3 Old 04-16-2012, 09:35 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by aoikirin View Post

I really do not relish the idea of putting that into my body. (The gelatin) I tried putting the powder in some water tonight and it was very very hard to get down but I did swallow.

I would try putting it on or in something that you can swallow without tasting, rather than drink. Maybe you'll have to do it on a couple-few things, if the pills are that big. You might also see if you can get it in another form. You could also re pill it in non gelatin pills, but you'd have to be really careful not to lose too much in the transfer.

"If you want to know where you would have stood on slavery before the civil war, don't look at where you stand on slavery today, look at where you stand on animal rights." - Paul Watson.

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 04-16-2012, 09:42 PM
Veggie Regular

It's best not to open Doxy caps as the medication can be irritating to your insides. That's why they put it in a coated capsule. If I was you, I would take this course in the gel cap as it's important, but for future reference, Doxy is available in a liquid form, (or oral suspension as you would hear your pharmacist refer to it). Just ask your doctor next time if he can prescribe it that way for you.

m8itcanw8.com
#5 Old 04-16-2012, 09:48 PM

If I can manage to dump and consume the powder without vomiting will there be any harm internally?
#6 Old 04-16-2012, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irizary View Post

I would try putting it on or in something that you can swallow without tasting, rather than drink. Maybe you'll have to do it on a couple-few things, if the pills are that big. You might also see if you can get it in another form. You could also re pill it in non gelatin pills, but you'd have to be really careful not to lose too much in the transfer.

I will try this! Maybe on food is better than in fluid.
#7 Old 04-16-2012, 10:03 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by aoikirin View Post

If I can manage to dump and consume the powder without vomiting will there be any harm internally?

Sorry dude, it wouldn't be right for me to speculate on that. All I can do is give you the appropriate info, it's your call now.

m8itcanw8.com
#8 Old 04-16-2012, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nishani View Post

Sorry dude, it wouldn't be right for me to speculate on that. All I can do is give you the appropriate info, it's your call now.

Haha no guarantees I know, but I appreciate it nonetheless. The suspension idea for next month's supply is good. But for now I will try to stomach the horrible taste. I took it over an hour ago and no nausea - so maybe I won't throw up after all. ;0
#9 Old 04-17-2012, 02:31 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nishani View Post

It's best not to open Doxy caps as the medication can be irritating to your insides. That's why they put it in a coated capsule. If I was you, I would take this course in the gel cap as it's important, but for future reference, Doxy is available in a liquid form, (or oral suspension as you would hear your pharmacist refer to it). Just ask your doctor next time if he can prescribe it that way for you.

I'd agree with this. I don't really see what the benefit is of tipping the medicine out and throwing away the capsual vs taking the capusal? The end result in terms of using the capsual is the same if you eat it or throw it in the bin, the only difference is it might harm you/prevent the medicine working as well (I say might, I have no idea if it will or not). You might not like the idea but I'd just try not to think about it.

If next time you can get the medicine without the gelatine than great, but this time you have it already, so I'd eat it as it is and not take the risk of harm.
#10 Old 04-17-2012, 02:35 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Aoikirin, according to drugs.com, you can safely sprinkle it in applesauce. It says doxycycline can be iritating to the esophogas, so I would be careful to follow their directions for safety. I can't paste the link due to my incompetence with my phone's new operating system, but just search your Med at drugs.com to see more.
On doxycycline:

"If you cannot swallow the capsule whole, you may open it and sprinkle the contents over a spoonful of applesauce. Do not use hot applesauce. Mix the medicine with the applesauce and swallow the mixture right away, followed by a glass of water. Do not crush or chew the medicine before swallowing. Do not store the mixture for future use."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page