To make a Veg blog from a teen girl's perspective? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-16-2012, 04:29 PM

Sometimes I just want to voice my life as a vegetarian (later to be vegan), 16-year-old girl without having a whole whack of people hate me. Basically, I just need a soapbox and a way to get things off my chest! I have a blog, but the way things go sometimes, I want to talk more and more about how I feel about my life-changing switch.

What do you guys think? Do you recommend a certain blogging site? I use wordpress for my other blog and it's nice, but I wanna know what y'all think!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-17-2012, 08:26 AM
I ♥ Vegan Guys ◕‿◕

This sounds cool! Blogs are definitely a good way to express your feeling and share your knowledge with others. The more vegetarian blogs out there, the more peolpe that will realize that vegetaranism is becoming more mainstream and they should probably hop on the bandwagon :3

Blogger is another good blogging site. From a teen girl's perspective, make it come off to the readers in a unique and funky way. Use different colored texts, veggie-themed wallpaper, and show pictures of your latest new recipes (or something like taht ^^)

"Why should man expect his prayer for mercy to be heard by What is above him when he shows no mercy to what is under him?" ~Pierre Troubetzkoy
#3 Old 04-17-2012, 08:52 AM
Veggie Regular

Tips.

1. Less is more when it comes to smileys
2. Correct spelling is of utmost importance
3. Keep drama to a minimum

"Hell exists not to punish sinners, but to ensure that nobody sins in the first place."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 04-17-2012, 09:08 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envy View Post

Tips.

3. Keep drama to a minimum

This.

I'm not really sure the platform will make a difference to the quality of your blog. I think wordpress and blogger each have their benefits, but compared to yesteryear bloggers these days are not limited as much as they used to be: everything is pretty much customisable with some basic programming knowledge. The hard bit is drawing traffic to your site, but there are blog rings, link affiliations etc. etc. to get your blog out there with PLENTY of vegan/vegetarian blogs to become connected with.

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man." - Charles Darwin
http://leighonamission.wordress.com
#5 Old 04-17-2012, 09:08 AM
Beginner

Just to be clear, what do you hope to get out of having a blog
centered around your vegetarianism?
#6 Old 04-17-2012, 02:54 PM

Thank you for the responses, everyone!

About the lovely tips: yes. For certain. I run a not-so-active blog and know how it goes with grammar and opinions and what have you. (:

As for getting something out of my blog-- right now, it's a way to talk about what it's like LIVING as I do. I will offend meat eaters, I will offend veg*ns, it will all happen because ethics gray and muddy across our planet's human demographic (as you all are aware). What I mean to say is that, for now, I want a place to post and talk about this one topic. I want to talk about the great parts of how I feel, but also the rough bits that we have to deal with, but tend not to talk about to preserve the image. You can assume I've been thinking a lot about looking like the "perfect person", if you know what I mean. I don't give into it, but if even just two people are interested in connecting with another young, passionate person, I think it could be fun. With lots of traffic comes lots of debate, too, and so I might need advice on how to handle people ripping at each other if it gets to that point. If it doesn't get traffic, I'm fine, too. I just want to talk publicly and hope I can help someone. Innocent intentions, yes, though I know about the down sides of these things. Even vegans get on each OTHER, too. That will likely be a topic of mine!

Anywho, yes. I'm being vague-- it's because the goal is, too. But it's safe not to have a defined goal with these things because another fairly under-the-dirt blog won't hurt anything.
#7 Old 04-17-2012, 04:20 PM
Veggie Regular

make an account on wordpress
#8 Old 04-17-2012, 05:44 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winslow View Post

I will offend meat eaters, I will offend veg*ns, it will all happen because ethics gray and muddy across our planet's human demographic (as you all are aware).

You have to be tough, and you will need a support system. I have seen some truly vile comments directed at a nine year old vegan girl on her YouTube channel, so you have to have an idea ahead of time about how you will be coping with this. There's one guy I am subscribed to who encourages trolls because he makes money off his site and encouraging trolls seem to increase traffic, and thus his income. He's pretty tough though.

I think it sounds like a great outlet for you, and it may be a really long time before anyone rude shows up. But it's good to give some thought to how you will react ahead of time.

www.thesaucyvegan.com
#9 Old 04-17-2012, 07:04 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envy View Post

Tips.

3. Keep drama to a maximum

Correction.
#10 Old 04-17-2012, 07:37 PM

For some reason I am sort of excited for you to start this. I don't know of any similar blogs. As a teenager its going to be nice to have a place to go to like that. I'm very interested!
#11 Old 04-21-2012, 05:00 PM

Hey guys-- can you help me think of any names? I keep forgetting my good ones!

NOTE: I keep getting emails about people responding to this thread but the last I can see is from Drotar reading, "For some reason I am sort of excited for you to start this. I don't know of any similar blogs. As a teenager its going to be nice to have a place to go to like that. I'm very interested!"
#12 Old 04-21-2012, 06:31 PM

How about "Girl Meets Veggie"?

"Is a vegetarian permitted to eat animal crackers?" - George Carlin
#13 Old 04-21-2012, 07:41 PM
Veggie Regular

"Teen Vegetarian"
"Teen Vegan"
"Veggie Soap Box"
"POP'S LETTUCE BIN"
"Life With Omnis"
"The Baby Shiitake-ers Club"
#14 Old 04-21-2012, 08:05 PM

You could do a play on the Chicken soup series, "Vegetable Soup For The Teenage Soul," or swap "for," with "from"
#15 Old 04-21-2012, 09:32 PM
Veggie Regular

Tip: Keep at it. I've started like 5 blogs in the past and after the first month or so got bored lol.

“May all sentient beings be free of pain and suffering.  May all sentient beings experience eternal joy and happiness.  gate gate pāragate pārasaṃgate bodhi svāhā.”
http://www.facebook.com/doktormartini
http://twitter.com/#!/MartyBaureis
http://doktormartini.tumblr.com

#16 Old 04-22-2012, 08:29 AM

Hahhaa I love the "Girl Meets Veggie", "Vegetable Soup for the Teenage Soul", and the lettuce bin idea xD

Yeah-- I feel like keeping at it / posting regularly might be something I will have to consciously work at!
#17 Old 04-22-2012, 05:47 PM

I'm thinking "The Veg Bucket". What do you say?
#18 Old 04-22-2012, 06:05 PM
Beginner

You should definitely do it! Blogger is really easy. I am using it at the moment and I find it really useful and simple to post.

♥ ♥ My vegan recipe blog: http://veggieful.com ♥ 

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page