really? a soy controversy? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 03-07-2012, 06:33 PM

So my nutrition teacher (wouldn't have chosen nutrition, but it was the only one open) was lecturing us about protein and said that she is trying to limit how much soy she eats because there is some controversy about it? I'm really confused - what's so bad about soy? Should I listen to this?

Be the change you want to see in the world - gandhi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-07-2012, 06:51 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggiegurl305 View Post

So my nutrition teacher (wouldn't have chosen nutrition, but it was the only one open) was lecturing us about protein and said that she is trying to limit how much soy she eats because there is some controversy about it? I'm really confused - what's so bad about soy? Should I listen to this?

Nope..your teacher is really confused.

Let's go to the big wall of science and see what actual nutrition studies say.

Dr. Norris, can we use your stuff? Yes? Good.

^ The conclusion of that REALLY long list of studies, in case you're not interested in reading it all, is that the anti soy argument is exaggerated beyond all reason. In some cases soy may be associated with a very slight increased risk of something, but it's always more than balanced out by the positive effects. If I knew the specifics of what your teacher thinks Soy does I'm sure we could find that exact part on Jack's site, or write him an email and ask him about it - but I get the impression your teacher is just riding the anti Soy wave.

Tam! RUGH!
#3 Old 03-08-2012, 02:28 AM
Beginner

There was a study on a Hawaiian population of Japanese American couples that correlated tofu consumption positively with increased rates of dementia. There are also conflicting studies on what the estrogen-like chemicals in it do in relation to male hormones and women with breast cancer. Soy is not the only food that has phytoestrogens. Some people speculate that plants evolved them to make animals that eat them reproduce less. Their effect on reproduction is not well established at this time though, so that speculation doesn't really mean anything. Flax also has a lot of phytoestrogens if I recall correctly, as well as legumes and nuts, but not to the extent of soy.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page