#61 Old 03-05-2012, 06:31 AM
Veggie Regular

I like all mushrooms. Shiitake rules.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 Old 03-05-2012, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luxdancer View Post

Not back in the day when the safe mushrooms were all nicely clustered with the fatal ones. :P

I think it's mainly the idea of growing them in poop that makes them taboo, bodily purity and all that. Of course, mushrooms can be grown on plant-based compost (hay, rye, corn, there's a number of substrates you can use) and fallen logs so...

I love mushrooms personally.

The other issue is where they fall taxonomically - there have been studies done that show that fungi have certain cellular properties that are more akin to insects than plants (in that their cell walls are composed of chitin rather than cellulose *). HOWEVER, mushrooms do not have brains, hearts (as rudimentary as they are), nervous systems or digestive tracts as insects do so trying to use mushrooms as some sort of means to ideologically entrap veg*ns is silly.

*Citation:
S Bartnicki-Garcia
Cell Wall Chemistry, Morphogenesis, and Taxonomy of Fungi
Annual Review of Microbiology
Vol. 22: 87-108 (Volume publication date October 1968)
DOI: 10.1146/annurev.mi.22.100168.000511

Well Finland is a country of forest, people just go to the forest and pick mushroom, I guess here mostly they are natural growing mushroom, associating with trees, so I guess it's clean and healthy, unless you pick the dangerous one? Hehe...

http://chineserecipeforveg.blogspot.fi/

http://www.lookforuu.com/

#63 Old 03-05-2012, 02:01 PM
Veggie Regular

I loooove mushrooms. They're my favourite ingredient - on toast, in sandwiches, in pie, in pasta sauces, used for gravy, mushroom stroganoff and stews and casseroles and soups... YUM. So much variety, too. Could never get bored of them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#64 Old 03-05-2012, 09:51 PM

I love mushrooms, raw and cooked and have been eating them raw forever, but one day I was buying mushrooms at the farmers market, and the guy selling them said they were not safe to eat raw. He said there was some kind of enzyme in them that could make you sick. I have never heard of this before. Anyone else here know anything about this?
#65 Old 03-05-2012, 11:12 PM
Super Moderator

No, I stay away from drugs.
#66 Old 03-05-2012, 11:16 PM

you find them that addictive?

#67 Old 03-06-2012, 06:16 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by danakscully64 View Post

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#68 Old 03-06-2012, 10:17 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blobbenstein View Post

you find them that addictive?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeryFairy View Post

#69 Old 03-06-2012, 10:17 AM
Super Moderator

There are only 2 kinds of mushrooms I like... Crimini/Portobello and White. They must be cooked all the way. All others...
#70 Old 03-06-2012, 09:16 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

LOL.....good one

peace

LOud & PRoud Veggie-Tari-Jenn~~(KNOT)~~ Vegan and NEVER Will Be.
Be Cents-able...Use Coupons!!~~PEace, LOVe & Beautiful COLORFUL RAinbows!!
#71 Old 03-07-2012, 05:03 AM
Beginner

Cooked mushrooms have a strong umami/savory component, as does cooked meat, tomatoes, cheese and fish. Also fermented and aged foods. I reason this is why it is considered tamasic from the viewpoint of Indian vegetarianism and yoga (it seems to be the common thread). Umami is an important component of a main dish, so if you are not eating meat, a good substitute for savory flavor is tomatoes, cheese, mushrooms, spinach, soy sauce, etc. Without umami a dish can seem "lifeless."

So if you want a hearty-tasting dish, add something with a little umami to it!
#72 Old 03-07-2012, 05:54 AM

Quote:

There are only 2 kinds of mushrooms I like... Crimini/Portobello and White. They must be cooked all the way. All others...

Well I actually like all kinds of mushrooms, hehe...

http://chineserecipeforveg.blogspot.fi/

http://www.lookforuu.com/

#73 Old 03-07-2012, 09:51 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggiez View Post

Well I actually like all kinds of mushrooms, hehe...

I'm sorry.

#74 Old 03-07-2012, 10:38 AM
Veggie Regular

Love them, in fact I had a veggie burger with grilled onions, peppers and mushrooms for lunch!
#75 Old 03-07-2012, 12:56 PM
Veggie Regular

got some of the brown/chesnut? ones today, never had them before so I look forward to trying them.

But in what recipe?????
#76 Old 03-07-2012, 02:19 PM
Beginner's Mind

I just wouldn't eat the ones with faces that those Super Mario Brothers cruelly smoosh all the time. LOL

Jenner: I learned this much: take what you can, when you can.

Justin: Then you have learned nothing!

The Secret of NIMH

#77 Old 05-29-2012, 08:47 PM

i love them they are good food

#78 Old 05-31-2012, 08:23 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonnbeth7 View Post

I love mushrooms, raw and cooked and have been eating them raw forever, but one day I was buying mushrooms at the farmers market, and the guy selling them said they were not safe to eat raw. He said there was some kind of enzyme in them that could make you sick. I have never heard of this before. Anyone else here know anything about this?

Yes, there are are many mushrooms and fungi that are edible when cooked but can cause stomach upsets etc. if eaten raw. There are also many types that are edible but not worth eating because they are flavourless or very bitter tasting. There are hundreds of different fungi, and the ones most commonly sold in supermarkets are fine to eat raw or cooked. It sounds like you had something a bit more special from the farmers market. Get yourself a decent identification book (Roger Phillips has written several excellent guides) and they should list what is edible/poisonous/needs cooking.

I can identify and happily eat parasols and chicken-of-the-woods but wouldn't dare go any further without some serious training! Some of the deadliest look the most innocent.

That awkward moment when your partner walks into the kitchen to find you huddled in the corner with an open container of nooch and a spoon and your mouth encrusted with little flakes...  
#79 Old 05-31-2012, 06:43 PM
Banned

Because they are heavily schwang-fay, mushrooms should only be eaten around the time of the summer or winter solstice. At other times of the year, they will tend to throw off the body's balance of popadopalous, and will adversly affect health, especially if they have been collected above or below the 40th parallel. They can also cause agression. Treat yourself with care - don't eat them. Since aggressive behavior can cause people to crave mushrooms, I urge people to keep an eye on family members who consume mushrooms, and intervene if they consume too many. They may rebel at first, but will thank you latear when their brains heal.

#80 Old 05-31-2012, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post

I also like mushrooms. But I often wonder about the manure they use to grow them. They don't do this for all mushrooms, do they?

They don't have to be grown in manure. They can be grown in different composts such as Peat Moss, Vermiculite, Straw etc.

#81 Old 06-01-2012, 08:01 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by thcause View Post

They don't have to be grown in manure. They can be grown in different composts such as Peat Moss, Vermiculite, Straw etc.

They will not grown in plain peat moss or plain vermiculite. They require organic matter that decomposes, and decomposes easily. Vermiculite is a mineral which does not decompose like plant matter. Peat moss decomposes slowly and is not good for growing growing mushrooms if used alone. Straw, also, is generally only uses along with matter that decomposes more rapidly. 

#82 Old 06-01-2012, 10:33 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by soilman View Post

They will not grown in plain peat moss or plain vermiculite. They require organic matter that decomposes, and decomposes easily. Vermiculite is a mineral which does not decompose like plant matter. Peat moss decomposes slowly and is not good for growing growing mushrooms if used alone. Straw, also, is generally only uses along with matter that decomposes more rapidly. 

Doesn't it depend on the species of mushroom? I read that oyster mushrooms do much better in a substrate of straw, humidity and a little light rather than manure, for example, and shiitake mushrooms prefer rotting wood (insofar as these would grow perfectly well without manure and just their preferred substrates) - only the buttom mushrooms, and related mushrooms, prefer manure?

I always wonder about people who say they "love" animals, but continue to eat meat. If that's your idea of love, I question what sort of twisted world view you must have.

#83 Old 06-01-2012, 02:23 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperhanger View Post

Mushrooms are, like, life.

Yes! If I didn't have mushrooms, I don't even think I'd exist.

#84 Old 06-01-2012, 06:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by luxdancer View Post

Doesn't it depend on the species of mushroom? I read that oyster mushrooms do much better in a substrate of straw, humidity and a little light rather than manure, for example, and shiitake mushrooms prefer rotting wood (insofar as these would grow perfectly well without manure and just their preferred substrates) - only the buttom mushrooms, and related mushrooms, prefer manure?

Yes different species tend to prefer different compost, but none of them prefer plain straw, plain vermiculite, or plain peat moss. Vermiculite and peat moss are used to help retain water evenly throughout. Vermiculite makes no nutrients available whatsoever. Peat moss slowly releases some nutrients, but not much. Straw is better. Rotting wood is loved by many mushrooms. Button mushrooms are commonly grown in a mixture of straw and excrement. I don't know if they actually prefer this. what seems to be the case is that they grow well in it, and it is readily available and cheap - pre-soaked straw is collected from chicken farms. I'm not a mushroom grower though. I've gotten this info from my reading, as opposed to from my experience.

#85 Old 06-02-2012, 10:49 PM
Veggie Regular

It's my understanding that farmed mushrooms aren't grown in cow manure. They're grown in decomposed cow manure, which is basically just very nutrient rich dirt.

This might be splitting hairs to some people, but I think it's a valid difference.

And personally I don't really care. I don't eat the manure. I eat the fungus.

With great relish.

I am my own bad companion

#86 Old 06-03-2012, 09:58 AM
Veggie Regular

I never met a mushroom I didn't like.

--
The Twilight Is My Robe
#87 Old 06-03-2012, 11:18 AM

Oh my, I've always disliked mushrooms. I think its the texture. Maybe one day I'll get a taste for it. I don't think they are bad for you.

#88 Old 06-04-2012, 02:03 PM

I fully intend to find a way to like mushrooms eventually. I'll usually eat them if they're mixed with something else so I don't recognize the texture. Not liking mushrooms (or zucchini or tomatoes) really doesn't help me find something to eat beyond salad when I go out.

Becca

#89 Old 06-04-2012, 08:50 PM
Veggie Regular

I love mushrooms. They are great with almost anything and very versatile.

"Ugliness, if given a powerful voice, can be beautiful."

-Martha Graham

#90 Old 06-06-2012, 05:06 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenseas View Post

Their slimy constitution is forever barred from entering the lip-gates to this here talking-orifice.

Fresh mushrooms are only slimy if you store them wrong (in a plastic bag). They should be stored in a paper bag and not in the vegetable drawer (too moist).

Canned mushrooms only look slimy, they're actually just shiny because they were cooked and stored in water.

This message brought to you by M.A.D.L.

(The Mushroom Anti-Defamation League)

M.A.D.L. just like the Justice League -if they didn't fight crime, had no super powers and were mainly concerned about people bad mouthing tasty fungus.

I am my own bad companion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page