• 1 Post By jewelkid87
  • 1 Post By ElaineV
  • 1 Post By SuicideBlonde
  • 1 Post By Freesia
  • 1 Post By Teresa
  • 1 Post By neo77

#1 Old 02-03-2012, 08:08 PM
Veggie Regular

When I make a veggie dinner for everyone, it gets eaten. I mean, no leftovers eaten. When they have an omni dinner and I have to fix something for myself, they say, "We aren't vegetarians." Why are you eating all my food, then? Is it considered polite to laugh at them eating and enjoying "weird veggie food" in private, or should I say something publicly?

Note to mods/admin(s):If this is in the wrong spot, please feel free to move it and let me know. Thanks.

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-04-2012, 09:28 AM
Veggie Regular

Your post is confusing to understand. Are you asking why they say they are not vegetarian, but eat your food anyway? I did not get it. Please clarify.
#3 Old 02-04-2012, 10:11 AM
Veggie Regular

My parents are omnivores, they "don't like" veg*an food. Yet, when I make it for dinner, it's devoured even though it's veg*an food. When my mom makes dinner, there's meat in it, and it lasts for days (lunches, leftovers, etc). Should I point out they're eating veg*an food and it's gone within minutes, but there's always leftover meat, or should I just keep quiet.

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 02-05-2012, 09:36 AM
Beginner

I understand what you are saying. Like at my family Thanksgiving all of the veggie food is gone first and then there is still tons of turkey leftover. Then they will all say that hate veggies.
Purp likes this.
#5 Old 02-05-2012, 01:39 PM
Veggie Regular

People's claimed identities don't always match their behaviors. So that's why plenty of omnis claim to hate vegan food (but then scarf it down) and it's also why so many vegetarians eat fishes and birds. You see it in other areas too like the anti-gay politicians who get BJs on the DL.

The trick to getting them to eat more vegan food and hurt fewer animals is to make it about the food and the animals instead of their identity. Remind them that they don't have to become vegetarian to eat vegetarian food every now and then. They can still think it's OK to eat animals but that doesn't mean they have to think it's OK to eat factory farmed animals. They can "reserve the right" to eat meat on special occassions and still eat plants most of the time for their health.

Laughing at them doesn't really help anything, though.
Purp likes this.
#6 Old 02-05-2012, 01:45 PM
Veggie Regular

"Weird I dont remember putting meat in my.... and you anyway. Crazy vegetarian food dose suck doesn't it"
Purp likes this.

"Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring."
 Marilyn Monroe
#7 Old 02-08-2012, 07:10 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElaineV View Post

People's claimed identities don't always match their behaviors. So that's why plenty of omnis claim to hate vegan food (but then scarf it down) and it's also why so many vegetarians eat fishes and birds. You see it in other areas too like the anti-gay politicians who get BJs on the DL.

The trick to getting them to eat more vegan food and hurt fewer animals is to make it about the food and the animals instead of their identity. Remind them that they don't have to become vegetarian to eat vegetarian food every now and then. They can still think it's OK to eat animals but that doesn't mean they have to think it's OK to eat factory farmed animals. They can "reserve the right" to eat meat on special occassions and still eat plants most of the time for their health.

Laughing at them doesn't really help anything, though.

I wish I'd heard that earlier. Teeheeheeheehee. Truth be told, I do most of the baking for the family (breads and desserts, etc), and I'm working about allergies, and not *just* no animal products. When I do make dinner, it's usually healthy, hearty, delicious, and gone within minutes.

#8 Old 02-08-2012, 08:12 PM
Veggie Regular

I would just smile in secret at them. Slowly, they are learning that veg food is awesome.
Purp likes this.
#9 Old 02-13-2012, 10:22 PM
Veggie Regular

I do get your point and I see no reason why you can't make this point to your family. I don't think it's inconsiderate to gently remind them they ate that veggie food and really seemed to like it with no complaints.
Purp likes this.
#10 Old 02-19-2012, 05:34 PM
Beginner

Just do what you feel to do. If it is a mistake, then you will learn from it. That is how life is.
Purp likes this.

Here is an article on LinkedIn, the 10th biggest website in the country. It has on it the CDC, Harvard School of Public Health and American Heart Association saying to eat more fruits and vegetables. It is called

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page