Sprouter for Sprouting Sprouts - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-09-2012, 02:36 AM

Hi all,

I am new here. This looks like a cool place.

I need your guidance folks and I hope I am posting this in the correct forum.

I am totally new to sprouting and don't know where to start.

Is this a good product to make say one plate of sprouts per day:

http://www.amazon.com/Victorio-VKP10...6101489&sr=8-1

I eat a lot and a big sprouter would come in handy.

Do any of you own a sprouter like the above?
Can one of those rinse the sprouts? Does it have the holes on the top? Or would you need a rinser, like a mason jar with the perforated cap?
How long do lentils sprout? A week?

Thanks for all your help and guidance. I really appreciate it. Happy new year!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-12-2012, 06:49 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

That looks pretty cool, you could have 3 kinds of sprouts growing at once. I just use a big mason jar with a plastic mesh lid.
#3 Old 01-14-2012, 11:55 AM
Super Moderator

Hey! I have that!
I used to just use a glass jar with a cheesecloth and rubber band to strain, but when that one was on sale I figured, why not?
It isn't that it works any better, but I like it because it just more, efficient somehow. You pour the water in the top, it trickles down through the trays, really slowly, and collects in the bottom one. You could actually forget to dump the water, and it's still okay. I guess it does a better job because the water hydrates the seeds a better rate. Anyway, if you get in the habit ( I was!) you'll always have the right amount of fresh sprouts handy, because you can sprout different trays at intervals.
I do recommend.

I usually do alfafa, brocolli, and mung. The smaller take like four days, mung a week. I've never tried lentils.

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-14-2012, 11:56 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome!

#5 Old 01-14-2012, 03:33 PM
Beanitarian

I use the jar with mesh and it works fine. I haven't considered buying anything else but I don't use mine that often nowadays.

That amazon.com listing says something is wrong with the listing or shipping.

Beanitarian.
#6 Old 01-14-2012, 04:16 PM
Veggie Regular

Hi, I'm sorry I'm not a thinker thinking thoughts that would be of helpful help to you, so, to other VB members: I suggest you suggest more suggestions to the OP to compensate for me not having the ability to be able to.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

#7 Old 01-14-2012, 05:34 PM

Hey!
So sorry for not replying sooner. I thought everyone was ignoring my post so I didn't bother to check back.

Thanks so much for the replies!

@Sevenseas: Get outta here! LOLOL

Hey silva, can you give me like a schedule so I can have let's say a cup of sprouts everyday?

Thanks for the input guys. I really appreciate it. Here in my country there are no plastic mesh covers for jars! So in any case I would need to buy something from amazon.

I thought that 3 tier sprouter was somehow automatic. Like I just put the sprout, fill up one of the trays with water and plug it in lol. But silva sold me on it.

Hey, also looking for any email pals. My mom recently passed away So anyone want to chat no probs.

If anyone could give me a schedule for sprouts so I can have 1 cup per day at least Mon to Fri that would be super.

Thanks friends.
#8 Old 01-14-2012, 06:47 PM
Super Moderator

Is this like a message for me to get back to healthy eating?
Because I sure do need it!!

I haven't sprouted for so long. I'll get that thing out tonight and give it a go!
I'll keep you posted!
It seems 3 days were the norm for small seeds like alfalfa.

#9 Old 01-14-2012, 07:09 PM

What about lentils. I love lentils! But I never had them sprouted. I got this idea to have steamed sprouted lentils, with Himalayan salt and flax oil, and a cup of raw whey.

Please vegans, don't kill me.

What you guys think of that?
#10 Old 01-15-2012, 05:15 AM
Beanitarian

I sprouted lentils once and they were fine. All sprouts I've ever tasted pretty much taste the same.

Exception: corn shoots. They have a stronger flavor.

As far as the recipe goes, it's really a matter of personal taste. I eat them in sandwiches, spring rolls and salads.

Beanitarian.
#11 Old 01-15-2012, 06:32 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

That Triple Decker sprouter looks awesome, now I want one. I usually sprout alfalfa, mung, broccoli, and I want to try quinoa sprouting also. I read that if you sprout quinoa for just a few hours before cooking, it increases the available nutrition in the quinoa after cooking. Or wait and eat the sprouts raw of course, it said they grow faster than most.
#12 Old 01-15-2012, 07:41 AM
Veggie Regular

I made a large sprouter out of a gallon pickle jar. I just drilled holes in the lid and used it like a regular perforated lid jar sprouter. I just went to a local deli and asked when their pickles would be out and if I could have the jar. You can also get jars like this at salvation army/good will type stores. It can be plastic or glass.

I've made things like plantain and sprouts "Hamburger patty"

Basically, you take plantians, smash them up, then add sprouts as though you were making meat loaf. You add a little onion, peppers if you want. I added a little walnut powder that I got running walnuts through a coffee grinder (not the shell). Then form patties and fry. You may need to tweak the recipie. I think I used one large plantain (not soft because the softer they are, the sweeter they are. By the way, you can substitute potatoes because plantains taste like potatoes anyway.

When I make stew or chili, I add half sprouted lentils. Fully sprouted lentils or small beans are great in omlettes. You can pretty much throw sprouts in any mixture. I love Bulgar wheat, and make a pilaf including sprouts. Many people see them as only to be eaten raw, but you can add them to anything, even pancakes, or bread.

The best thing about sprouts is that they grow fairly fast (lentil sprouts take about 5 days), and are a cheap source of fresh vegetables in the winter.

By the way, don't throw unused sprouts away. I found that if you air dry them they are good to add to the bases of your house plants for nutrients. Cats and dogs like them too!
#13 Old 01-15-2012, 01:45 PM
Veggie Regular

Stupid thread made me order a sprouter and some seeds, lol.
#14 Old 01-16-2012, 04:24 PM
Super Moderator

I got mine out Sat night and started two trays with alfalfa and one with mung. You do need to learn to tweak the plugs that act as siphons. Maybe just because mine sat, but I found I had to tip the trays to get them to start draining, and one I had to lift the plug from the bottom with a toothpick, then push all the way down. It's not a big deal, and I never had to do that before, I just want you to know what to check if it doesn't drain.
Two days later and my alfalfa are 1/4 inch and mung just starting.

#15 Old 01-21-2012, 07:26 AM

I use a sprouting jar, and it works great! I grow alfalfa, mung beans, fenugreek seeds, and I am trying black lentils atm, will let you know how long they take, though I am guessing the weather has a lot to do with how quick they grow.

"Cowardice asks the question 'Is it safe?', expediency asks the question 'Is it politic?', vanity asks the question 'Is it popular?'. But conscience asks the question 'Is it right?' and there comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page