PRO Vegetarian and Vegan quotes and pictures. - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 34Likes

#1 Old 12-15-2011, 07:15 PM
Veggie Regular

Vegetarian Quotes

"For as long as men massacre animals, they will kill each other. Indeed, he who sows the seed of murder and pain cannot reap joy and love."
Pythagoras, mathematician

"The time will come when men such as I will look upon the murder of animals as they now look on the murder of men."
Leonardo da Vinci, artist and scientist

"To a man whose mind is free there is something even more intolerable in the sufferings of animals than in the sufferings of man. For with the latter it is at least admitted that suffering is evil and that the man who causes it is a criminal. But thousands of animals are uselessly butchered every day without a shadow of remorse. If any man were to refer to it, he would be thought ridiculous. And that is the unpardonable crime."
Romain Rolland, author, Nobel Prize 1915

"If a group of beings from another planet were to land on Earth -- beings who considered themselves as superior to you as you feel yourself to be to other animals -- would you concede them the rights over you that you assume over other animals?"
George Bernard Shaw, playwright, Nobel Prize 1925
"What is it that should trace the insuperable line? ...The question is not, Can they reason? nor, Can they talk? but, Can they suffer?"
Jeremy Bentham, philosopher

"In their behavior toward creatures, all men are Nazis. Human beings see oppression vividly when they're the victims. Otherwise they victimize blindly and without a thought."
Isaac Bashevis Singer, author, Nobel Prize 1978

"Our task must be to free ourselves . . . by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature and its beauty."
"Nothing will benefit human health and increase chances of survival for life on earth as much as the evolution to a vegetarian diet."
Albert Einstein, physicist, Nobel Prize 1921

"I am in favor of animal rights as well as human rights. That is the way of a whole human being."
Abraham Lincoln, 16th U.S. President

"You have just dined, and however scrupulously the slaughterhouse is concealed in the graceful distance of miles, there is complicity."
Ralph Waldo Emerson, essayist

"As long as there are slaughterhouses, there will be battlefields."
"What I think about vivisection is that if people admit that they have the right to take or endanger the life of living beings for the benefit of many, there will be no limit to their cruelty."
Leo Tolstoy author

"I cannot fish without falling a little in self-respect...always when I have done I feel it would have been better if I had not fished."
Henry David Thoreau, author

"While we ourselves are the living graves of murdered beasts, how can we expect any ideal conditions on this earth?"
"Atrocities are not less atrocities when they occur in laboratories and are called medical research."
George Bernard Shaw

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated."
"To my mind, the life of a lamb is no less precious than that of a human being."
Mahatma Gandhi, statesman and philosopher

"I am not interested to know whether vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't...The pain which it inflicts upon unconsenting animals is the basis of my enmity toward it, and it is to me sufficient justification of the enmity without looking further."
Mark Twain, author

"Non-violence leads to the highest ethics, which is the goal of all evolution. Until we stop harming all other living beings, we are still savages."
Thomas Edison, inventor

A vegetarian is a person who won't eat anything that can have children. ~David Brenner

You put a baby in a crib with an apple and a rabbit. If it eats the rabbit and plays with the apple, I'll buy you a new car. ~Harvey Diamond

Man is the only animal that can remain on friendly terms with the victims he intends to eat until he eats them. ~Samuel Butler, Note-Books, 1912

Dear Lord, I've been asked, nay commanded, to thank Thee for the Christmas turkey before us... a turkey which was no doubt a lively, intelligent bird... a social being... capable of actual affection... nuzzling its young with almost human-like compassion. Anyway, it's dead and we're gonna eat it. Please give our respects to its family. ~Berke Breathed, Bloom County Babylon

If slaughterhouses had glass walls, everyone would be a vegetarian. ~Paul McCartney

Think of the fierce energy concentrated in an acorn! You bury it in the ground, and it explodes into an oak! Bury a sheep, and nothing happens but decay. ~George Bernard Shaw

One farmer says to me, "You cannot live on vegetable food solely, for it furnishes nothing to make the bones with;" and so he religiously devotes a part of his day to supplying himself with the raw material of bones; walking all the while he talks behind his oxen, which, with vegetable-made bones, jerk him and his lumbering plow along in spite of every obstacle. ~Henry David Thoreau

How can you eat anything with eyes? ~Will Kellogg

The beef industry has contributed to more American deaths than all the wars of this century, all natural disasters, and all automobile accidents combined. If beef is your idea of "real food for real people" you'd better live real close to a real good hospital. ~Neal Barnard

Why does Sea World have a seafood restaurant? I'm halfway through my fishburger and I realize, Oh my God. I could be eating a slow learner. ~Lynda Montgomery

Animals are my friends... and I don't eat my friends. ~George Bernard Shaw

We don't need to eat anyone who would run, swim, or fly away if he could. ~James Cromwell

If you knew how meat was made, you'd probably lose your lunch. ~k.d. lang

Nothing more strongly arouses our disgust than cannibalism, yet we make the same impression on Buddhists and vegetarians, for we feed on babies, though not our own. ~Robert Louis Stevenson

My situation is a solemn one. Life is offered to me on condition of eating beefsteaks. But death is better than cannibalism. My will contains directions for my funeral, which will be followed not by mourning coaches, but by oxen, sheep, flocks of poultry, and a small traveling aquarium of live fish, all wearing white scarfs in honor of the man who perished rather than eat his fellow creatures. ~George Bernard Shaw

I did not become a vegetarian for my health, I did it for the health of the chickens. ~Isaac Bashevis Singer, quoted in You Said a Mouthful edited by Ronald D. Fuchs

Heart attacks... God's revenge for eating his little animal friends. ~Author Unknown

For the most part, we carnivores do not eat other carnivores. We prefer to eat our vegetarian friends. ~Robert Brault, www.robertbrault.com

Nothing spoils lunch any quicker than a rogue meatball rampaging through your spaghetti. ~Jim Davis, "Garfield" (Please note: In its original context, this is NOT about vegetarianism)

Recognize meat for what it really is: the antibiotic- and pesticide-laden corpse of a tortured animal. ~Ingrid Newkirk

I will not eat anything that walks, runs, skips, hops or crawls. God knows that I've crawled on occasion, and I'm glad that no one ate me. ~Alex Poulos

We all love animals. Why do we call some "pets" and others "dinner?" ~k.d. lang

Coexistence... what the farmer does with the turkey - until Thanksgiving. ~Mike Connolly

P.S. i have more pro vegetarian and vegan pics and Quotes that i will upload over the next few days, i hope you like the ones that are already uploaded.
Purp and Jasminedesi16 like this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-15-2011, 07:17 PM
Veggie Regular

I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician. ~Marty Feldman

I am not a vegetarian because I love animals; I am a vegetarian because I hate plants. ~A. Whitney Brown

A mind of the calibre of mine cannot derive its nutriment from cows. ~George Bernard Shaw

A man of my spiritual intensity does not eat corpses. ~George Bernard Shaw

If vegetarians eat vegetables, what do humanitarians eat? ~Author Unknown

I've found without question that the best way to lead others to a more plant-based diet is by example - to lead with your fork, not your mouth. ~Bernie Wilke, quoted in Joanne Stepaniak, The Vegan Sourcebook, 1998

Truely man is the king of beasts, for his brutality exceeds theirs. We live by the death of others: we are burial places! I have from an early age abjured the use of meat, and the time will come when men such as I will look on the murder of animals as they now look on the murder of men. ~Leonardo da Vinci

I have no doubt that it is a part of the destiny of the human race, in its gradual improvement, to leave off eating animals, as surely as the savage tribes have left off eating each other.... ~Henry David Thoreau, Walden, 1854

I venture to maintain that there are multitudes to whom the necessity of discharging the duties of a butcher would be so inexpressibly painful and revolting, that if they could obtain a meat diet on no other condition, they would relinquish it forever. ~W.E.H. Lecky

You have just dined, and however scrupulously the slaughterhouse is concealed in the graceful distance of miles, there is complicity. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

While we ourselves are the living graves of murdered beasts, how can we expect any ideal conditions on this earth? ~George Bernard Shaw

I just could not stand the idea of eating meat - I really do think that it has made me calmer.... People's general awareness is getting much better, even down to buying a pint of milk: the fact that the calves are actually killed so that the milk doesn't go to them but to us cannot really be right, and if you have seen a cow in a state of extreme distress because it cannot understand why its calf isn't by, it can make you think a lot. ~Kate Bush

I think if you want to eat more meat you should kill it yourself and eat it raw so that you are not blinded by the hypocrisy of having it processed for you. ~Margi Clark

"Thou shalt not kill" does not apply to murder of one's own kind only, but to all living beings; and this Commandment was inscribed in the human breast long before it was proclaimed from Sinai. ~Leo Tolstoy

As soon as I realized that I didn't need meat to survive or to be in good health, I began to see how forlorn it all is. If only we had a different mentality about the drama of the cowboy and the range and all the rest of it. It's a very romantic notion, an entrenched part of American culture, but I've seen, for example, pigs waiting to be slaughtered, and their hysteria and panic was something I shall never forget. ~Cloris Leachman

We manage to swallow meat only because we do not think of the cruel and sinful thing that we do. Cruelty... is a fundamental sin, and admits of no arguments or nice distinctions. If only we do not allow our heart to grow callous, it protests against cruelty, is always clearly heard; and yet we go on perpetrating cruelties easily, merrily, all of us - in fact, anyone who does not join in is dubbed a crank. ~Rabindranath Tagore

Can you really ask what reason Pythagoras had for abstaining from meat? For my part I rather wonder both by what accident and in what state of soul or mind the first man did so, touched his mouth to gore and brought his lips to the meat of a dead creature, he who set forth tables of dead, stale bodies and ventured to call food and nourishment the parts that had a little before bellowed and cried, moved and lived. How could his eyes endure the slaughter when throats were slit and hides flayed and limbs torn from limb? How could his nose endure the stench? How was it that the pollution did not turn away his taste, which made contact with the sores of others and sucked juices and serums from mortal wounds? ~Plutarch

It is only by softening and disguising dead meat by culinary preparation that it is rendered susceptible of mastication or digestion, and that the sight of its bloody juices and raw horror does not excite intolerable loathing and disgust. ~Percy Bysshe Shelley, Queen Mab Notes

Vegetarianism can easily reach religious proportions. Refraining from meat on moral grounds serves to dignify feelings of guilt toward sad-eyed, furry creatures and substitutes righteousness for squeamishness. ~Bill Griffith, Griffith Observatory comic strip, 1977

To my mind, the life of a lamb is no less precious than that of a human being. I should be unwilling to take the life of a lamb for the sake of the human body. ~Mahatma Gandhi

A veteran USDA meat inspector from Texas describes what he has seen: "Cattle dragged and choked... knocking 'em four, five, ten times. Every now and then when they're stunned they come back to life, and they're up there agonizing. They're supposed to be re-stunned but sometimes they aren't and they'll go through the skinning process alive. I've worked in four large [slaughterhouses] and a bunch of small ones. They're all the same. If people were to see this, they'd probably feel really bad about it. But in a packing house everybody gets so used to it that it doesn't mean anything." ~Slaughterhouse 1997

I eat everything that nature voluntarily gives: fruits, vegetables, and the products of plants.

Nothing will benefit human health and increase chances for survival of life on Earth as much as the evolution to a vegetarian diet. ~Albert Einstein

I do not like eating meat because I have seen lambs and pigs killed. I saw and felt their pain. They felt the approaching death. I could not bear it. I cried like a child. I ran up a hill and could not breathe. I felt that I was choking. I felt the death of the lamb. ~Vaslav Nijinsky

Would you kill your pet dog or cat to eat it? How about an animal you're not emotionally attached to? Is the thought of slaughtering a cow or chicken or pig with your own hands too much to handle? Instead, would hiring a hit-man to do the job give you enough distance from the emotional discomfort? What animal did you put a contract out on for your supper last night? Did you at least make sure that none went to waste and to take a moment to be grateful for its sacrifice? ~Anonymous

"For as long as men massacre animals, they will kill each other. Indeed, he who sows the seed of murder and pain cannot reap joy and love." - Pythagoras

"The animals of the world exist for their own reasons. They were not made for humans any more than black people were made for whites or women for men." - Alice Walker

“Vegetarianism is a link to perfection and peace.” - River Phoenix

If you could see or feel the suffering you wouldn't think twice. Give back life. Don't eat meat.
-Kim Basinger

Humans are the only hunters who kill when not hungry.
-Steven Spielberg

If you held the knife, cut its throat, stilled its life, would it be on your plate or your conscience tonight?
-Susan Rich

This whole entire The Smiths/Morissey song "Meat is Murder"

"Heifer whines could be human cries
Closer comes the screaming knife
This beautiful creature must die
This beautiful creature must die
A death for no reason
And death for no reason is murder

And the flesh you so fancifully fry
Is not succulent, tasty or kind
Its death for no reason
And death for no reason is murder

And the calf that you carve with a smile
Is murder
And the turkey you festively slice
Is murder
Do you know how animals die ?

Kitchen aromas aren't very homely
Its not comforting, cheery or kind
Its sizzling blood and the unholy stench
Of murder

Its not natural, normal or kind
The flesh you so fancifully fry
The meat in your mouth
As you savour the flavour
Of murder

No, no, no, its murder
No, no, no, its murder
Oh ... and who hears when animals cry ?"

Turn Over a New Leaf -- Try Vegetarian.” - Pamela Anderson

“Vegetarianism is a link to perfection and peace.” - River Phoenix

“Better a meal of vegetables where there is love than a fattened calf with hatred” - Bible

“Madam, if you are so concerned about catching BSE, you should do what I do and turn vegetarian.” - Tony Benn

#3 Old 12-15-2011, 07:19 PM
Ira
Banned

those are great. but there are some that seem to be anti vegetarian
Purp likes this.

#4 Old 12-15-2011, 07:29 PM
Veggie Regular

which ones? tell me so i can get rid of them fast while i can still edit my posts. thanks
Purp likes this.

#5 Old 12-15-2011, 07:41 PM
Ira
Banned

i think you got rid of it already since i can't find it, there was something about vegetarian meaning a bad hunter, and that if god wouldn't want us to eat animals they wouldn't be made of meat
Purp likes this.
#6 Old 12-15-2011, 08:00 PM
Super Moderator

Great quotes!

Here's a favourite pic of mine:

Attachment 17361
LL

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#7 Old 12-15-2011, 08:04 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira View Post

i think you got rid of it already since i can't find it, there was something about vegetarian meaning a bad hunter, and that if god wouldn't want us to eat animals they wouldn't be made of meat

sorry about that, i think i got rid of them all.
It must have been my sister that slid them in there when i was away from the computer for 10 minutes(she is anti vegetarian and loves eating meat).
Purp likes this.

#8 Old 12-15-2011, 08:10 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf Girl View Post

Great quotes!

Attachment 17361

great pic! a copy of it is going up on my bedroom wall with the rest of my pics. i will upload a lot more pics soon, i hope you like them.
Purp likes this.

#9 Old 12-15-2011, 08:26 PM
Veggie Regular

Purp likes this.

☮~Ⓥ ÂListen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be. -Shel SilversteinⓋ~☮
#10 Old 12-15-2011, 09:22 PM
Veggie Regular

here are some more pics.

Purp likes this.

#11 Old 12-15-2011, 09:33 PM
Veggie Regular

Purp likes this.

#12 Old 12-16-2011, 08:08 AM

I love love love the pic of the young girl and that beautiful cow
Purp likes this.

Animals are my friends... and I don't eat my friends. -George Bernard Shaw
Vegetarian since November 25th 2011
#13 Old 12-16-2011, 08:39 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Great quotes!

Attachment 17361

That's how it goes when you eat approx. 75 lbs of food each day.
Purp likes this.

"Hell exists not to punish sinners, but to ensure that nobody sins in the first place."
#14 Old 12-16-2011, 09:17 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegman View Post

This picture made me realize that they'll never really thank us.
Purp likes this.
#15 Old 12-20-2011, 04:13 PM
Veggie Regular

check out weanimals.org
really powerful stuff
Purp likes this.

☮~Ⓥ ÂListen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be. -Shel SilversteinⓋ~☮
#16 Old 12-20-2011, 04:28 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Great quotes!

Attachment 17361

While I like the idea of the picture, I don't believe it to be technically incorrect as gorillas are not vegan because they do sometimes eat meat.
Purp likes this.

There isn't enough love in the Universe....
#17 Old 12-22-2011, 04:02 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegman View Post

which ones? tell me so i can get rid of them fast while i can still edit my posts. thanks

This one:

Vegetarians are cool. All I eat are vegetarians - except for the occasional mountain lion steak. - Ted Nugent

Please fold it very sharply in the manner or origami, carefully place in envelope, mail to Nugent. If done well it should spring out when opened, on a trajectory to his throat, slicing in a manner similiar to Teds own knife skills.
Purp likes this.

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#18 Old 12-22-2011, 04:05 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envy View Post

That's how it goes when you eat approx. 75 lbs of food each day.

If you consider the amount of plant foods animals consume before slaughter, I wonder how much is used proportionatly in each piece of meat an omnivore consumes?
I'm quessing it's close to 75 lbs a day.
Purp likes this.

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#19 Old 12-22-2011, 06:26 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post

This one:

Vegetarians are cool. All I eat are vegetarians - except for the occasional mountain lion steak. - Ted Nugent

Please fold it very sharply in the manner or origami, carefully place in envelope, mail to Nugent. If done well it should spring out when opened, on a trajectory to his throat, slicing in a manner similiar to Teds own knife skills.

Purp likes this.

While we ourselves are the living graves of murdered beasts, how can we expect any ideal conditions on this earth? ~George Bernard Shaw
#20 Old 12-23-2011, 02:02 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post

This one:

“Vegetarians are cool. All I eat are vegetarians - except for the occasional mountain lion steak.” - Ted Nugent

sorry about that, i got rid of it(i made my sister suffer for it big time).
Purp likes this.

#21 Old 12-24-2011, 07:29 PM
adapt. evolve. become

Purp likes this.

All we are is dust in the wind
#22 Old 12-24-2011, 09:30 PM
Veggie Regular

This pic made me cry because my girlfriend is ALL about Cavaliers and this looks exactly like her little dog. She has two and this one looks exactly like the one!!! Wow...I sent it to her and told her to send it to all her Cavalier friends (none of them are vegan really).
Purp likes this.

“May all sentient beings be free of pain and suffering.  May all sentient beings experience eternal joy and happiness.  gate gate pāragate pārasaṃgate bodhi svāhā.”
http://www.facebook.com/doktormartini
http://twitter.com/#!/MartyBaureis
http://doktormartini.tumblr.com

#23 Old 11-23-2014, 03:10 AM

Chickens Thanking Humans

Do you thank large carnivors for not eating you???!!!!
Purp likes this.
#24 Old 11-23-2014, 09:48 AM
Veggie Regular

The greatness of a nation can be judged by how its animals are treated. Mahatma Ghandi
#25 Old 11-23-2014, 10:21 AM
Super Moderator

If you don't like my opinions leave. But just remember, the animals
can't leave the cages that hold them. They are captive and suffering.
As you cozy into your bed tonight, try to imagine the pain and the
suffering that they endure day after day and night after night. Next
time you get some soap in your eyes, try to imagine that pain for 3 or
4 days at a time. Next time you have a stomach ache, try to imagine
liquid plumber being poured down your throat till you puke so much
blood that you bleed to death. Next time you bump your head, try to
imagine being a monkey and getting a steel plate smashed into your
skull at 50 miles per hour. Then, only then should you feel compelled
to tell me that I'm wrong about my opinions. For all these things have
happened in the name of science. They continue in abundance till this
day.
-Ricki Rockett
#26 Old 11-24-2014, 11:01 AM
Veggie Regular

Kiwibird08 and melimomTARDIS like this.

"To the world you may be just one person, but to one life you may be the world."

#27 Old 12-01-2014, 08:19 PM

Vegman I adore your quotes a lot!!!!! THANK YOU!!!!!! I too have a few hundreds of them which over the years (before I became a lil ol' lady) I collected. Thanks for posting them but, I think they would serve a much better purpose if they were published also in a NON VEGGIE/VEGAN site, no?

THUMBS UP!!! Rosedala

Last edited by Rosedala; 12-01-2014 at 08:31 PM. Reason: clarify.
#28 Old 12-01-2014, 08:30 PM

The carnivorous animals have the right to eat certain animals (yes including humans if they are stupid and disrespectful enough to get into their habitats).

The carnivorous animals were made by Nature to digest flesh, bones, skins, furs, feathers, everything because they have the proper innards to do the job. If we ate that way we'd be sent to the hospital or the morgue.

That's why as I remember my distant past as a carnivore, people had to be careful not to eat the bones and all the other non flesh parts. The carnivore eats EVERYTHING!!! And he keeps strong and healthy.

So, no, we don't have to give carnivores thanks for not eating us. But we could thank them for being so beautiful!!! )
#29 Old 12-01-2014, 08:32 PM

Marjoram I more than adore your pictures here!!!!!!!!!!!
#30 Old 12-01-2014, 08:34 PM

Hi werewolf girl I adore your picture of that handsome gorilla!!!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page