If eating meat is wrong, isn't eating plants equally wrong? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
#1 Old 11-10-2011, 11:11 PM
Banned
 
Versus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 6
I'm not here to pick a fight or try to change anyone's mind, I'm just trying to find an understanding.

I know many people have different reasoning why they are vegetarian (or similar). What I'm curious about is the morel standing aspect.

I hear often that people chose to not eat meat due to how animals are treated. I don't agree with how most animals are treated but it's quite clear that plants are treated as bad as the worst. Think about it. We grow our plants and vegetables very similar to veal.

Often the argument is met with "plants don't have feelings or emotions" Trees bleed and scar, and bruise similar to animals. They are effected by music and other numerous factors that many times are overlooked. Plants may not be the same as animals but just because they aren't, does that mean they are less than them? Isn't that the same mentality that kept Africans as slaves and women from voting?
Versus is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#2 Old 11-10-2011, 11:13 PM
Veggie Regular
 
SomebodyElse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: In a California Ghost Town
Posts: 7,245
Are you a vegetarian?

www.thesaucyvegan.com
SomebodyElse is offline  
#3 Old 11-10-2011, 11:14 PM
Banned
 
Versus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 6
No. I'm not
Versus is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#4 Old 11-10-2011, 11:19 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Werewolf Girl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: BC, Canada
Posts: 16,664
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versus View Post

I'm not here to pick a fight or try to change anyone's mind, I'm just trying to find an understanding.

I know many people have different reasoning why they are vegetarian (or similar). What I'm curious about is the morel standing aspect.

I hear often that people chose to not eat meat due to how animals are treated. I don't agree with how most animals are treated but it's quite clear that plants are treated as bad as the worst. Think about it. We grow our plants and vegetables very similar to veal.

Often the argument is met with "plants don't have feelings or emotions" Trees bleed and scar, and bruise similar to animals. They are effected by music and other numerous factors that many times are overlooked. Plants may not be the same as animals but just because they aren't, does that mean they are less than them? Isn't that the same mentality that kept Africans as slaves and women from voting?

Do you know anything about basic biology? Plants don't have brains or nervous systems, what would they feel pain WITH? This is a very silly argument.

Also, think about what they feed the animals you eat, PLANTS. When you eat a piece of a cow you are also contributing to the deaths of all the plants it was fed before it was slaughtered. If you are really so concerned about their feelings you should become a vegetarian.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
Werewolf Girl is offline  
#5 Old 11-10-2011, 11:19 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Werewolf Girl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: BC, Canada
Posts: 16,664
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versus View Post

No. I'm not

Did you read the rules before joining? This is a vegetarian support forum.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
Werewolf Girl is offline  
#6 Old 11-10-2011, 11:28 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Limes's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Cowtown
Posts: 1,349
I love WG's point. Even if plants could feel, it would cause even more suffering by filtering them through our meat. So our choices are to learn how to photosynthesize, or eat plants and survive.
Limes is offline  
#7 Old 11-10-2011, 11:47 PM
Veggie Regular
 
danakscully64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 34,591
My IQ just dropped 10 points reading that. Someone help!
danakscully64 is offline  
#8 Old 11-11-2011, 12:01 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Larissa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,184
Come on, guys. Versus is totally right. Just look at how scared this carrot is.

Larissa is offline  
#9 Old 11-11-2011, 12:03 AM
Veggie Regular
 
danakscully64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 34,591
Holy sheet, that carrot is terrified!!!
danakscully64 is offline  
#10 Old 11-11-2011, 12:04 AM
Banned
 
Versus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 6
"In order to join you must either be a vegetarian or seriously considering going vegetarian."

As far as the "Basic Biology" comment ... sentience.... Rather than getting deep into it. My point was ... No they don't have a central nervous system like we do, they may not even feel pain like we do. Does that mean they don't have their own that you just don't care to understand? Intolerance? Plants do use photosynthesis... so they actually may be higher up than us.

Getting around the fact that cows can eat grass (which is grown wild and eaten in it's natural cycle). Limes brought up a good point. Filtering. Animals filter and give us something different.

While the argument can be made. Yes eating meat does cause more plants to die. That is kind of getting off subject....Choosing to not eat meat to save the vegetables.
I have no qualms with anything I eat. I treat them all equally.
Versus is offline  
#11 Old 11-11-2011, 12:06 AM
Banned
 
Versus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 6
You both are childish. If you don't have anything productive to add please don't bother to add anything.
Versus is offline  
#12 Old 11-11-2011, 12:09 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Larissa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versus View Post

You both are childish. If you don't have anything productive to add please don't bother to add anything.

Well you might as well take back everything you said then, if we should only be adding productive comments.
Larissa is offline  
#13 Old 11-11-2011, 12:09 AM
Veggie Regular
 
danakscully64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 34,591
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versus View Post

You both are childish. If you don't have anything productive to add please don't bother to add anything.

You're posting here against the rules. Who's the childish one? Come on, you're comparing the "treatment of plants" to slavery. Ridiculous. You're not here to become a vegetarian, you're here to start a debate. This is not a forum for meat eaters vs vegetarians.
danakscully64 is offline  
#14 Old 11-11-2011, 12:12 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Werewolf Girl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: BC, Canada
Posts: 16,664
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versus View Post

"In order to join you must either be a vegetarian or seriously considering going vegetarian."

As far as the "Basic Biology" comment ... sentience.... Rather than getting deep into it. My point was ... No they don't have a central nervous system like we do, they may not even feel pain like we do. Does that mean they don't have their own that you just don't care to understand? Intolerance? Plants do use photosynthesis... so they actually may be higher up than us.

Getting around the fact that cows can eat grass (which is grown wild and eaten in it's natural cycle). Limes brought up a good point. Filtering. Animals filter and give us something different.

While the argument can be made. Yes eating meat does cause more plants to die. That is kind of getting off subject....Choosing to not eat meat to save the vegetables.
I have no qualms with anything I eat. I treat them all equally.

Why? If you actually believe plants can suffer (which I don't believe you seriously do) shouldn't you want to minimize that suffering?

Your argument seems to be that because (in your mind) everything suffers equally we should just make everything suffer a lot and not worry about the pain we cause. That doesn't make sense. If plants DID have feelings that would be an argument to treat them better, not to shrug and kill everything you can.

Again, if you are really so worried about the feelings of plants you should stop eating animals to minimize the amount of pain you cause.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
Werewolf Girl is offline  
#15 Old 11-11-2011, 12:29 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Amy SF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Southern California
Posts: 20,217
People, you are not at the park. PLEASE do not feed the trolls. Thank you. Closing.

*this space not for sale*
Amy SF is offline  
Closed Thread

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in


Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off