What does everyone think of this blog - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 10-26-2011, 10:39 AM
Veggie Regular

I think this girl seems a little obsessed with proving vegetarianism wrong.....

http://rawfoodsos.com/

Even if you fall on your face, you're still moving forward.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-26-2011, 10:45 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
This is a trend that some folks translate as “meat causes heart disease”—a sentiment I saw plastered all over the veggie message boards during my most recent lurking spree.

If this person doesn't support veg*nism then why would they want to waste their time lurking on veg*n support forums? Kinda odd.

"[-]But caging them, killing them, eating them was unthinkable. We were creatures of the same world."
-Animorphs, #18

#3 Old 11-02-2011, 10:29 AM

How can anyone says vegetarianism is wrong. I don't understand that why the people are eating non-veg as killing some living thing and then eat it. it's really disgusting. I am fully agree with Bright Bird that "If this person doesn't support veg*nism then why would they want to waste their time lurking on veg*n support forums?".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 11-02-2011, 10:56 AM
Veggie Regular

She may have some valid points, but I don't mind very much.

Maybe I'll have a look later when I'm not high on caffeinated drinks and hungry as hell.

"Hell exists not to punish sinners, but to ensure that nobody sins in the first place."
#5 Old 11-02-2011, 11:19 AM
Veggie Regular

Actually, I admire the fact that she examines statements in docs like Forks over Knifes with a critical eye and doesn't just sit back and absorb the likely sounding arguments. She is looking at diet from a purely health focused point of view and doesn't factor in environment or animal rights. So many points that she makes are valid. I am not saying that she is 100% right in her conclusions regarding the health benefits of meat/dairy, but then again nutritional science is constantly reaching different conclusions all the time!

However, because I DO care about the environment/animals/etc etc and I DO believe I can be healthy on a vegan diet, I'll stick to this lifestyle. I wrote a little on the need for selfishness balanced with compassion here: **edit: oops not allowed links yet. But you can PM me for the link if you care :-) **

Docs like Forks Over Knives are problematic! Many arguments that are made in the doc are straw-man attacks. One glaring example that comes to mind is when they use the death rates from before, during and after WW2 in Norway(I think it was Norway or some other Scandinavian country). They assert that lower death rates are due to less meat being consumed. They completely ignore the fact that ppl were consuming fish. The conclusions are reached too simplistically. For someone casually watching, the correlation seems reasonable. But if you approach the presentation with a scientific mind, then you can see that it is full of assumption and bias.

/rant

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
the blog I write. It's mostly about food. Some healthy. Some junky. All vegan.

#6 Old 11-02-2011, 05:23 PM
Super Moderator

Crap, I'll never finish it! Like I care.
It starts out okay, questions are logical, rather interesting. Then it takes a nose dive off anything rationale and gets really loopy.
Who is this person? What are her qualifications to judge the data?
One thing I agreed on is how it is to judge a perfect vegan diet against the SAD.
But then again, I'm usually ranting on how wrong it is for most omnis to judge a junky vegan diet with a healthy omni one!

Yeah, I say it's loopy

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#7 Old 11-02-2011, 05:26 PM
Super Moderator

And considering I know a man whose heart disease-as in having last rites performed heart disease-was reversed by Esselstyn, I'm not too skeptical of the fork over the knife! The knife in both senses, nearly killed him

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#8 Old 11-02-2011, 06:21 PM
Riot Nrrrd

I wonder about folks who seem to think all you need to do is point to overstatements and such. Why don't they engage with stuff like Jack Norris' blog or Paleoveganology?

Dave in MPLS / DISCLAIMER: I am not an actual rooster.
"It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness"
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 18002738255
#9 Old 11-05-2011, 01:07 PM
Veggie Regular

I am a little alarmed that her surname is Minger. I hope she doesnt live in the UK, otherwise school would have been very hard for her.
#10 Old 11-05-2011, 02:49 PM
Veggie Regular

I just gave it a quick scan over, but it looks like a good blog. I'm always super skeptical of any health claim and also anything claimed in documentaries in general, so I appreciate people who take the time to get down into the nitty gritty analysis of how conclusions were reached.

I'm not veg for health reasons so nothing on there is capable of "proving vegetarianism wrong" for me. And I don't care what topics someone chooses to write about or what forums they lurk on. That seems a bit personalizing. As long as they are intellectually honest, logical and care more about accuracy than agenda pushing.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page