Fantastic Foods NEW Carb'Tastic ready meals product review opportunity! - Page 2 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#31 Old 03-15-2004, 11:24 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted bychiaraluna

Darn! Oh, well... My mom will enjoy reviewing them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoyCreamFilling

well, i bet my mom would like to try it then

Heehee. So, are all the vegans who requested samples passing them onto mom? I know I am. I was looking forward to tasting them. Oh well, Mom is newly vegetarian; she'll appreciate them. I'll just report what she thinks of them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 Old 03-15-2004, 11:32 PM
Veggie Regular

Hehe.. and I'm a mom passing them onto my son.
#33 Old 03-16-2004, 12:05 AM

Oops, I am sorry I did not realise that they are not vegan but I have

a friend that is on the low carb diet and he is a meat eater and

he will enjoy trying them and reviewing them for you, his name is

also John. If not, my Nonnie or my Mom will enjoy them.

Shannon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#34 Old 03-16-2004, 12:23 AM
Veggie Regular

Shouldn't this 'advertisement' be in the Product Reviews forum and not a Support forum?

m8itcanw8.com
#35 Old 03-16-2004, 05:21 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixelle View Post

Shouldn't this 'advertisement' be in the Product Reviews forum and not a Support forum?

Or should it be in the "Frugal Living" forum since it's free stuff?

Check out my webcomic! www.GrammarComic.com
#36 Old 03-16-2004, 10:22 AM
Administrator

It's fine where it is. Don't worry about it.

VeggieBoards Alumni Facebook Group

If you're an old time VB'er stop by and say hi!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#37 Old 03-17-2004, 12:41 AM
Veggie Regular

grr. well i can pass mine on to someone also. my boyfriend wouldn't touch them (eww healthy! lol) but a friend of mine who is omni is trying to eat healthier and doesn't mind trying vegetarian food. i'll get a good report from her to post i'm sure

I'm singin' here to get rid of fear
Hope it disappears right here with the rain
But I know life is pain, not like a fairytale
Meaningless to pray, so just goin' on my way
~Miyavi "Torture"
#38 Old 03-17-2004, 12:48 AM
Veggie Regular

Didn't you all notice in the first post where it said they are vegetarian? Fantastic Foods is pretty good about labeling vegan things "vegan" and vegetarian things "vegetarian". //

Hmm, I wish these things were in stores now, as I'm really wanting to try the low-carb chili mac.
#39 Old 03-17-2004, 04:06 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpickell View Post

Didn't you all notice in the first post where it said they are vegetarian? Fantastic Foods is pretty good about labeling vegan things "vegan" and vegetarian things "vegetarian".

Ah, but I wasn't reading a label... At any rate, if I'd read more closely, I might have been tipped off. I have to blow through these threads faster and faster these days.
#40 Old 04-15-2004, 11:39 PM

Has anyone received these/tried them?

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#41 Old 04-16-2004, 12:20 AM
Beginner

Hi!

Timely post. These are shipping last week and this week. Anyone who responded a month or so ago should be getting them shortly.

John
#42 Old 04-16-2004, 03:48 PM
Veggie Regular

I just got mine today. Of course I missed the bit about them not being vegan, but I'll give them to my parents this weekend and see what they think of them.
#43 Old 04-16-2004, 04:00 PM
Veggie Regular

Oh, it'd be cool if they were vegan. I guess a 1/2 solution is better than none at all. Sorry if that was snooty. I just got all excited about vegan food.
#44 Old 04-16-2004, 05:06 PM
Veggie Regular

I just got mine today, my mom is really looking forward to trying them! My sister even thinks it looks good, I will let you know what they think!
#45 Old 04-16-2004, 05:28 PM
Veggie Regular

Ooh, maybe I'll get mine soon Unfortunately, since ordering, I have developed tummy problems. I'll try a taste of them, and then my mommy can eat the rest.
#46 Old 04-16-2004, 06:50 PM
Veggie Regular

Is it free shipping and handling??
#47 Old 04-16-2004, 08:20 PM
Administrator

Yep. I don't know if he's still taking orders or not though. The only thing he asks in return is that you post a review of what you thought and any suggestions you may have.

VeggieBoards Alumni Facebook Group

If you're an old time VB'er stop by and say hi!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#48 Old 04-16-2004, 08:20 PM

Thanks for the update - little sis (who eats dairy) will be eating mine - she works a lot of late nights and is hoping for something healthier than her current fast food choices.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#49 Old 04-17-2004, 06:18 PM
Veggie Regular

Great, I was just wondering about this, looking forward to trying them.
#50 Old 04-19-2004, 02:36 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm getting hungry! I haven't eaten anything since requesting the samples...

*grasps imaginary fruitmix*

Single vegetarian for 19 years seeks tasty vegetables to devour. Reply only if interested in being consumed whole.
#51 Old 04-19-2004, 03:11 PM

my husband and i just tried the alfredo and we both have to say that that was the most disgusting thing weve ever eaten in our lives. it left a very bad burnt rubber taste in my mouth after only one bite. im not sure if its the soy noodles that taste so gross (never had soy pasta) or some nasty flavoring. i felt like i was eating brains. cant wait to try the others though!
#52 Old 04-20-2004, 01:33 AM
Beginner

Uggh!

Lizzybean well I am sorry you did not like this item. From the description you gave I am sure that the batch sat in the retort (pressure cooker) too long< resulting in a burnt rubber taste. Not exactly what one would want to eat for dinner! Thanks for the painful, yet honest, feedback. I will investigate on this to see what happened. I can assure you we did not formulate it to taste like a tire. Soy pasta is a bit different, and takes some getting used to, but it is not THAT different.

John
#53 Old 04-20-2004, 01:51 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by boquist1 View Post

I can assure you we did not formulate it to taste like a tire.

LOL

Well, I'm still very much looking forward to checking them out when they arrive.
#54 Old 04-20-2004, 02:07 AM
Veggie Regular

I just got mine as soon as I came home.
#55 Old 04-20-2004, 02:08 AM
Veggie Regular

Everything I have tried by them has been a dissapointment, to be honest...But the paella one looks good...
#56 Old 04-20-2004, 07:37 AM
Veggie Regular

I just got mine this weekend, thanks! We tried the Penne Pasta & the Chili Mac one.

Penne Pasta w/ Alfredo - Weird! I was really looking forward to this one, but the brownish color was somewhat offsetting, and the sauce tasted only vaguely like alfredo. Not that it was horrible, mind you, but it was like taking a sip of a drink expecting root beer, and tasting cherry coke instead. The penne noodles could be longer too; sort of like what Michelina's does. The insane amount of protein and fiber almost make up for the taste. I don't know how you crammed 25g of protein in there, but I appreciate it.

Chili Mac - Awesome. This is the one my girlfriend had, and she loved it. I had a few bites of it, and it tasted great to me as well. We will likely be purchasing this if it becomes available in our market.

I should also add that I don't give a hoot about low-carbs anything, so my main selling points are taste, protein, and fiber.
#57 Old 04-20-2004, 02:45 PM
Veggie Regular

I just tried the Penne Alfredo. It's good.. I've never had alfredo so I didn't have any expectations. It'd look more appealing if it was a lighter creamier looking color.

I'd eat it again.

Thanks for giving me a chance to try this stuff.
#58 Old 04-20-2004, 07:25 PM
Veggie Regular

I just got mine today. I gave them all to my mom since I don't eat eggs/dairy and she's usually good with veg food. I was really excited for her to try it because she doesn't eat a lot and when she does its kind of junky, and these had so much protein and fiber. When she was done I asked her how it was, and she said it was pretty good and she liked the noodles, but the dish as a whole was way, way too salty. I'll have her try the others, but since they all seem to have the same amount of salt I can't guarantee anything.

Perhaps if you sold them frozen you could downplay the amount of salt? I know it would probably make them less portable/convient for people, but in the end, if it tastes bad people aren't going to buy it anyways. I know it is probably becasue of the sauce, but even if you cut down the sodium to 300-400 mg, like your other products (which I thoroughly enjoy ), it could make a huge improvement on the taste
#59 Old 04-20-2004, 07:44 PM
Veggie Regular

Is it bad that I added salt?
#60 Old 04-20-2004, 07:55 PM
Veggie Regular

Got mine today! I'm eating the Penne with Meat Sauce right now.

First let me say how much I love how convenient and easy these are! No refridgeration needed, no boiling water to add, only two minutes in the microwave and it's ready. That, is awesome. These are the perfect meal to stick in my bookbag and bring with me to work every night or to family gatherings. I'm also impressed by the amount of protein and fiber in all of them, and they each have a decent amount of iron and calcium, all things that vegetarians look for. I do hope you can look into creating vegan versions of these because I'd be all over those. I don't mind a small amount of dairy/egg in something every once in a while, but I wouldn't buy it as regularly as I would something that was dairy-free and nearly vegan. Also, I really like the box layout on these ones. I like the little check box on the sides that plainly states it's ovo-lacto and mentions all the good contents. Instructions were simple and easy to understand. I probably won't try the boiling stove-top method since the microwave method is so easy. Oh and I also like the box and the food tray are both recycleable. Okay, on to the actual food. Penne with Meat Sauce. Loved it! I thought it tasted pretty good. The noodles were fine for me, not rubbery at all, easy to chew and tasted good. The meat sauce was good too. Sometimes I don't care for things with fake meat in it, but I liked this. My only complaint would be that I wished there was more sauce. The sauce was a little too cheesy or something. I would have prefered a more marinara like sauce. But I enjoyed it nonetheless. I felt the serving size was good. Not too many calories, so if I felt like adding something else to make it a complete meal then that would be perfect. I had one banana and two glasses of orange juice with this meal, and I was full afterwards and feeling good. I'm looking forward to trying the others.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page