Subverting tradition... - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 03-13-2004, 10:28 AM

I've never discussed this openly before, so...

I have certain food...um..."tendencies" at specific times of the day. Specifically, I find at night a fruit salad and oatmeal is really the only thing that appeases me. A large main evening meal incites some MAJOR bingeing...like I can't seem to find what my body craves. But I've learnt that by having my main meal at lunch and sticking to the oatmeal/fruit combo at night my body functions SO much better. No insatiable appetite.

Then I thought, "Well, I'm not really varying my diet by eating the same night meal..." and then I realised that, in essence, all I'm doing is REARRANGING my meal plan; shifting what is traditionally considered breakfast to a later time. Furthermore, this plan seems to mirror my energy requirements throughout the day. Why stuff yourself at night if you're only going to sleep it off? It makes much more sense - to me, anyway - to refuel at breakfast, in preparation for the day ahead.

I feel my body instinctively knows what's best, and I shouldn't try to counter my needs just to appease the crowds, you know? I'm wondering whether anyone here has what some would consider *unsual* eating habits, and how you deal with other people's opinions/criticisms? Do you value public opinion that much? Does it MATTER to you?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-13-2004, 11:28 AM
Veggie Regular

I'll eat anything at any time of the day. Cereal is good any time of the day and so is pizza. I've had pizza for breakfast and cereal for lunch before.
#3 Old 03-13-2004, 12:18 PM
Veggie Regular

You are absolutely right to follow what your body needs. Our bodies tend to know what's best; we just need to be attuned to it. I wouldn't worry about changing around your eating patterns. There are actually a lot of other cultures that eat the way that you do, heavier meal earlier in the day and a snack at night. That's the way that they did it in Brazil. I spent a year there as an exchange student. They would basically have something light for breakfast, a heavy meal for lunch, take a break or a nap, then at night eat more snack type foods. It's definitely one way to avoid going to sleep when you're too full.

As far as my own tendencies, I've always been sort of weird. My family is not really that orthodox when it comes to meal times. The only times we all sit down together for a meal is during holidays. Mostly everyone just eats what they want when they want to eat it. I find that to be true for a lot of my friends as well. Most of us are single and living on our own, so traditional "meal times" or types of foods to eat during those times are pretty much nonexistent. Just yesterday, I had a veggie burger and beans for lunch, then had cereal (cream of wheat) for dinner.

I can empathize with eating too much in the evening, especially if I don't get enought to eat during the day. If what you're doing is working for your body, then I say keep it up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 03-13-2004, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorraine View Post

You are absolutely right to follow what your body needs. Our bodies tend to know what's best; we just need to be attuned to it. I wouldn't worry about changing around your eating patterns. There are actually a lot of other cultures that eat the way that you do, heavier meal earlier in the day and a snack at night. That's the way that they did it in Brazil. I spent a year there as an exchange student. They would basically have something light for breakfast, a heavy meal for lunch, take a break or a nap, then at night eat more snack type foods. It's definitely one way to avoid going to sleep when you're too full.

As far as my own tendencies, I've always been sort of weird. My family is not really that orthodox when it comes to meal times. The only times we all sit down together for a meal is during holidays. Mostly everyone just eats what they want when they want to eat it. I find that to be true for a lot of my friends as well. Most of us are single and living on our own, so traditional "meal times" or types of foods to eat during those times are pretty much nonexistent. Just yesterday, I had a veggie burger and beans for lunch, then had cereal (cream of wheat) for dinner.

I can empathize with eating too much in the evening, especially if I don't get enought to eat during the day. If what you're doing is working for your body, then I say keep it up.

*sigh of relief*

Thanks! The strength of my conviction is such that I would continue my eating plan despite criticism, odd looks etc...but it IS encouraging to hear this from someone else! Interesting point about Brazil...
#5 Old 03-13-2004, 12:55 PM

if i had a schedule where i could eat "dinner" at lunch time i definately would. it makes so much more sense than the way our society does it in general. by the time i finish my day i consume most of my calories at dinner and feel like crap afterwards. "breakfast" for dinner would make so much more sense.
#6 Old 03-14-2004, 02:09 PM
Veggie Regular

I do the same thing. I eat "breakfast" for dinner all the time. You body needs less energy in the evening, because you're usually settling down for a sleep, yes? Oatmeal is good around then.
#7 Old 03-14-2004, 04:31 PM
Veggie Regular

I eat dinner for breakfast often, but I usually only eat breakfast foods at other times of the day if I have time for nothing else and no other options. I don't really like most breakfast food, it's just convenient. I've only had a few people comment on how weird or wrong it is to eat dinner for breakfast, but in my close-minded judgement, I deem them to be close-minded. One guy I work with is shocked that people eat donuts outside of regular breakfast time. I really don't think of them as breakfast food, but I guess it's normal.
#8 Old 03-14-2004, 04:32 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't even eat meals that much anymore. I just eat snacks all day pretty much. Som people think it's weird, but I don't really care.
#9 Old 03-14-2004, 05:12 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDvegan85 View Post

I don't even eat meals that much anymore. I just eat snacks all day pretty much. Som people think it's weird, but I don't really care.

A diet of "grazing" is actually recommended, rather than eating full meals by some nutritionists. Just make sure your snacks are healthy and varied.
#10 Old 03-14-2004, 08:55 PM
Veggie Regular

Also, depends on the society. You know why in Europe, it's "dinner" then "supper"? Because "dinner" is your biggest meal of the day, eaten at noon.

I personally, totally fuel up at breakfast time, and don't have much appetite at traditional American "dinner" time of six o'clock. It enrages family and friends that want to eat out together, but eh. It's what my body wants.
#11 Old 03-14-2004, 09:40 PM
Veggie Regular

On a day when I eat 3 meals I usually have something like: pretzels for breakfast

cereal and fruit for lunch

anything for dinner

Although society would like you to believe things like that cereal is for breakfast, I don't see why its any less logical to eat it for lunch. Or why is it considered weird to have soup or rice for breakfast?
#12 Old 03-14-2004, 10:18 PM
Veggie Regular

I think it's a matter of "heartiness."

My mother would yell at me for eating cereal for lunch. "You need something more hearty than cereal for lunch."

This would also explain why dinner food for breakfast is considered weird - it's too hearty on a morning stomach.
#13 Old 03-14-2004, 11:10 PM

I think it's just people stuck in traditional moulds...if I actually asked someone to raise a logical argument for why I SHOULDN'T have a light evening meal or whatever, I'd get a blank expression. And maybe a few rounds of opening and closing the mouth like a fish; no words though.

Trixie.
#14 Old 03-14-2004, 11:11 PM
Banned

i have the whole "insatiable appetite at night" thing going on for me, majorly.. but unfortulately i can't eat a big meal during the day or else i get very sleepy. i usually have 2 dinners.. the second one is often breakfast cereal
#15 Old 03-14-2004, 11:46 PM
Veggie Regular

Yea. Big meals put me to sleep. Therefore, I usually eat light in the middle of the day. Right before bed I eat a lot, and generally induce that 'food coma' that helps me sleep through the night.
#16 Old 03-15-2004, 02:34 AM

The diversity of what's been posted here illustrates so well that EVERYONE is different. We all have different bodies, needs etc, thus it's unless to have just one "correct" way of planning meals. Open-mindedness is a virtue.

Thanks all.

Trixie.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page