VeggieBoards banner

Being in a relationship with a meat eater when vegetarian...

2K views 24 replies 18 participants last post by  Mia82 
#1 ·
So its my ladys birthday and I want to make her happy and in my former life I was pretty good griller if I do say so myself. She wants me to make her a T-bone and bernaise sauce etc....I dont know how I feel about this but I am 100% not tempted to eat meat by it just dont know if morally I can justify it...help!

Being vegiterian was by far the best thing I have ever done for myself.

#3 ·
When I first became veg I continued to make my one son meat, then let him cook it, now no dead animals are allowed. I felt obliged because I raised him on meat, and felt I needed to help make the transition. Your girlfriend doesn't qualify for that.
If ethics are part of why you're veg, than cooking meat says it's not that important.
Taking her to a concert, movie, or play that isn't what you like shows you care about her. Throwing away your ethics shows that you can be bought, and really just not trusted to stick by your beliefs. If you can do that for her, you would do that for other things, later in the relationship, that will come out.

By all means take her out if that what she wants, but don't compromise yourself. She should respect that. If you were of different political views, would you endorse the others candidate?.

Welcome!

#4 ·
I was veg*n for several months while my wife was an omni. I would not cook her meat...not even for her birthday. If you don't eat meat for ethical reasons, and it makes you really uncomforatble thinking about cooking it, tell her. My wife is vegan now so it's not an issue for me. If she understands your reasons for not eating meat maybe she wouldn't even ask you to prepare it. My wife never asked me because she knew how I felt about it.

#10 ·
Instead of a steak make her a special non-meat grilled meal to reinforce that it is the textures and flavours of the condiments and seasonings that make a meal tasty and not its animal content.

#11 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclone T View Post

Instead of a steak make her a special non-meat grilled meal to reinforce that it is the textures and flavours of the condiments and seasonings that make a meal tasty and not its animal content.
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/grilled...ms/detail.aspx or something like it. Num.

My bf knows I will cook whatever and how much he wants but I do not cook meat and he is fine with that. I just hope it is still cool when we get our place together.

#12 ·
My ex was an omni. He did all the cooking which I loved
and miss
but on occasion when I cooked his meats I would put on my latex gloves, season & cook it. I live with my father now and do the same for him.

#15 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by cantbeatluck View Post

So its my ladys birthday and I want to make her happy and in my former life I was pretty good griller if I do say so myself. She wants me to make her a T-bone and bernaise sauce etc....I dont know how I feel about this but I am 100% not tempted to eat meat by it just dont know if morally I can justify it...help!
Here's the plan ...

1. Ask you girlfreind if a 'three way' with her sister/mum/best freind as a treat from her on your birthday would offend her moral code.

2. Do the sleeping on the sofa, "your dinner is in the dog", thing for a fortnight or so ..

3. Kiss and make up.

4. Negotiate a truce whereby neither of you asks for birthday treats that offend the others moral code.

No charge. Best of luck

#17 ·
First off what was the title before I missed it? Anyhow my Birthday is coming up and My husband is taking me to Olive Garden for Pasta and Salad and breadsticks in a few weeks I asked him. If it was his Birthday he would pick a steakhouse like Texas Roadhouse. Maybe ask her if she wants to go out instead and what place she would like. Don't have a problem paying for something which is her Birthday.

#20 ·
Spoiler: Just kidding

I prefer to live each day as if it is my last ( I nearly died for 6 months straight ) so my perspective is weird. My belief at this point is if this is my only life (not sure it is) then why do anything I dont want to or have to do. For example why work 10 years for a company that makes one miserable, why eat meat if you don't want to, why compromise your morals...truth is you dont have to....life can be whatever you want it to be though at some points this lifestlye can be hard for me.

#21 ·
I would have no objections to my partner being a meat-eater at all. Being a vegetarian is my own personal preference and it's not my place to force my beliefs on other people. Neither would I want to.

However, my ex (I hated it when he did this) would pick up his steak/bacon/whatever meat it was if we were in a restaurant, smear it all over his lips, laugh and say "Go on, give us a kiss." I found it disgusting and disrespectful
Needless to say, that relationship went nowhere!

#22 ·
My BF really likes meat too. He would never ask me to cook it for him, he knows how much I hate handling slabs of meat (yech)

He sometimes makes himself burgers or other meat, and I try not to make a big deal out of it. I am also in the camp of this being my personal decision and allowing others their choices, but no way am I handling raw meat.

She should understand, shouldn't she?

#25 ·
My boyfriend is an omni, but he knows not to ask me to cook meat, nor has he ever eaten any meat in the house that's not cold cuts for breakfast sandwiches, or before I came into his life, takeout. If he ever did ask me to cook him steak for his birthday, my response would probably be something cheeky like "Sweetheart, do I look like I'm capable of making you a steak that's edible?" I think that would get the point across nicely!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.