Is it bad that I eat things cooked on the same grill that meat was? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 10-13-2011, 12:13 AM

I definitely see why some people are completely against it, but unless it is insanely oily or greasy I don't have that big of an issue. I eat veggie burgers made at Burger King on the same grill as whoppers, and I take pepperoni off of pizza (if there is no cheese or any other meal alternatives). I just don't see it being THAT big of a deal. I am making this thread to hear other opinions and to get more insight. I'm not looking for you to change my mind, but I welcome it at the same time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-13-2011, 01:49 AM

I do the same as you taking the meat toppings off the pizza. I'm getting together w/ friends for dinner and the one who is cooking said she would make my veggies on a separate grill from the meat/chicken for me. I though that was unnecessary but interested in someone else's take on it too. I am new to the veg world.

http://almostvegangirl.blogspot.com/
#3 Old 10-13-2011, 01:51 AM

No. Same as you, I have no problem with it unless the utensils they use are grossly oily or greasy. But I make it a point to not visit omni shops unless necessary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 10-13-2011, 02:49 AM
Veggie Regular

I don't really care about the grill thing...unless there is lots of grease. I only ate pizza once where i picked off the meat, it was nasty. I could still taste the ham on it. I never pick the meat off/out of anything now. If the only option is picking the meat out of something I'll just wait till I get home to eat.
#5 Old 10-13-2011, 03:23 AM
Veggie Regular

I prefer to not pick it off if it has been "cooked together", meaning that sandwiches and salads are often fair game.

"Hell exists not to punish sinners, but to ensure that nobody sins in the first place."
#6 Old 10-13-2011, 03:55 AM
Veggie Regular

Hmm I think there is a big difference between picking meat off a pizza and using a grill that is the same as a grill that cooks meat.

For me, a huge part (although, not the only part) of being vegetarian (and indeed vegan) is not creating a demand for products I consider unethical. For me, meat is unethical, and if I buy (or encourage the buying of, ie: by eating something someone else has bought) a product with meat in, I'm encouraging the production of meat by creating a demand. Whether I eat the meat or not, doesn't really make a difference, as far as consumerism goes. I've created a demand for pepperoni pizza, even if I didn't eat the pepperoni. Does that make sense?

But using the same grill as meat products doesn't create a demand. It's just cross-contamination. If I keep eating veggie burgers cooked with meat burgers, it doesn't result in an increased demand of meat burgers (but it does of veggie burgers! which is good). I understand why people don't want to eat them, but for me, that isn't really an ethical thing - it's a personal thing. Like, it just grosses some people out, or whatever.

So, in my mind, if I'm eating something where meat is an ingrediant, I'm creating a demand for meat. If I'm eating something that's been contaminated with meat products, I'm not. That's where I draw the ethical line. Sometimes I might not want to eat something cross contaminated for "ick" reasons - not usually, but if something was contaiminated to the point it tasted meaty I wouldn't want it.
#7 Old 10-13-2011, 05:56 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Identity_thief View Post

Hmm I think there is a big difference between picking meat off a pizza and using a grill that is the same as a grill that cooks meat.

For me, a huge part (although, not the only part) of being vegetarian (and indeed vegan) is not creating a demand for products I consider unethical. For me, meat is unethical, and if I buy (or encourage the buying of, ie: by eating something someone else has bought) a product with meat in, I'm encouraging the production of meat by creating a demand. Whether I eat the meat or not, doesn't really make a difference, as far as consumerism goes. I've created a demand for pepperoni pizza, even if I didn't eat the pepperoni. Does that make sense?

But using the same grill as meat products doesn't create a demand. It's just cross-contamination. If I keep eating veggie burgers cooked with meat burgers, it doesn't result in an increased demand of meat burgers (but it does of veggie burgers! which is good). I understand why people don't want to eat them, but for me, that isn't really an ethical thing - it's a personal thing. Like, it just grosses some people out, or whatever.

So, in my mind, if I'm eating something where meat is an ingrediant, I'm creating a demand for meat. If I'm eating something that's been contaminated with meat products, I'm not. That's where I draw the ethical line. Sometimes I might not want to eat something cross contaminated for "ick" reasons - not usually, but if something was contaiminated to the point it tasted meaty I wouldn't want it.

Completely agree!
I don't really mind about the same grill being used, but it would be nice if it was different. I went to our local chippy and the chips tasted like fish, they were fried in the same vat. Never went back... disgusting.

As for picking meat off pizzas, I think that's still supporting the meat trade, it may be going in the bin not your gullet, but you still bought it, you are still supporting it.

Nothing is more sexy than compassion
#8 Old 10-13-2011, 07:05 AM

In my 8 months as veg I've probably only ever done it 3 or 4 times. Only when there is no other food like say at a party or something. When it comes down to Pizza or chips and I haven't eaten anything, I'm going with the pizza.
#9 Old 10-13-2011, 09:59 AM
Beginner

When a pizza is cooked with pepperoni or other meat, the meat juice gets all over the pizza, so you're really eating some of the meat fat even if you pick it off.

As for grilling, I'm not concerned with my stuff being cooked on the same grill as meat. It happens in probably every restaurant that offers veggie options. However, at a family cookout, for example, I might make a point of scraping or cleaning the grill before cooking my stuff. Even so, some grills have juice from previous cookings that can drip off the lid if they're not cleaned well. I guess it's just a matter of where you wanna draw the line, personally.

Got gas?
#10 Old 10-13-2011, 11:56 AM
Veggie Regular

I think part of it depends on your reasons for being veg. Some people who are veg heavily for AR, would not eat something that meat has ever touched. However, some people are brought to vegetarianism for health reasons, and in that case, I don't think it has as much of an effect.

-Kari, Minnesota mommy, wife and vegetarian. treatyourbodyright.blogspot.com
#11 Old 10-13-2011, 12:08 PM
Banned

I don't pick meat off of pizza or any other food, but I do eat things cooked on the same grill or deep fryer or whatever. Especially living in an omni family, I'm not going to go trough all the trouble of separating things, wastin oil by refilling the deep fryer every time I deep fry, etc., and I eat at restaurants that have omni food so I'm sure there's some cross contamination but I don't care as long as the dish itself is fine.
#12 Old 10-13-2011, 12:11 PM
Veggie Regular

I have picked meat toppings off pizza in the past, but I don't do it anymore and haven't for quite a while. I wouldn't fault a veg*n for doing that if there were no alternative. (even though nowadays I'd rather just not eat anything) You do have to be careful about doing that sort of thing since the meat can get stuck in (and sometimes under) the cheese. It just depends on what you're comfortable with. As someone else pointed out, you're still consuming the meat juice, so that's definitely something to consider. I would encourage you to move away from picking meat off/out of food, but everyone has to do things at their own pace.

"I am a woman of science. At least that's what my horoscope said."
#13 Old 10-13-2011, 12:41 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

^This and this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Zucchini View Post

When a pizza is cooked with pepperoni or other meat, the meat juice gets all over the pizza, so you're really eating some of the meat fat even if you pick it off.

As for grilling, I'm not concerned with my stuff being cooked on the same grill as meat. It happens in probably every restaurant that offers veggie options. However, at a family cookout, for example, I might make a point of scraping or cleaning the grill before cooking my stuff. Even so, some grills have juice from previous cookings that can drip off the lid if they're not cleaned well. I guess it's just a matter of where you wanna draw the line, personally.

#14 Old 10-13-2011, 03:45 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't pick meat off of things (pizza, salads, sandwiches), and I prefer a clean place on the grill, but that is not always up to me. I'm far more flexible with the latter.

The opposite of war isn't peace. It's creation!
#15 Old 10-13-2011, 03:47 PM
Veggie Regular

Yes. This makes you a very bad person indeed.

The Big Bad.
#16 Old 10-13-2011, 04:42 PM
Veggie Regular

I think I'm on board with most others here that for myself I don't mind cross contamination in kitchens as much as I mind picking meat out of/off of things. Personally, I wouldn't do the second. Eating something that's been cooked with meat gives it the flavor and jusices/grease/etc of meat, which to me makes it really gross. I'm not bothered by cross-contamination in cooking (barring of course raw meat touching things meant to be eaten raw for safety reasons) because I know that sometimes it's unavoidable. I don't expect an employee in restaurant to clean off a grill for me in the middle of a meal rush, and I think asking them to do so would probably end up with my food getting spit in. On top of that, I generally already order a regular meal item sans meat products, and asking them to change the recipe AND cook it specially would make me feel like I'm being too demanding. As for you being "bad" for taking meat off of things or eating meat cooked near other items, it's all about comfort level. I can completely understand why in a social situation one would do those things, and as long as it doesn't bother you at all I can't imagine why it would make you a "bad person". The only issues I could imagine would be if you're paying for an item with meat, then removing it because then you're spending your money on and supporting the meat industry (thought this really only seems a problem if you're veg*n for ethical reasons), or that possibly an acquaintance could understand that you're a veg*n, and observe you removing the meat from an item to eat it, and then assume that all veg*ns do the same, which could cause an issue if later on they meat someone who is veg*n and would not do that.

Tl;dr: Eating doesn't have laws, if you're comfortable with doing that then go ahead!
#17 Old 10-13-2011, 08:02 PM
Beginner

Quote:

I agree with that as well. Although I'm fairly new at playing the "avoiding meat in public situations" game, i've unconsciously made this same view. If something has meat in or on it already and you pick it out, then you're still "consuming" meat, in that you will be throwing it away or giving a friend extra meat to eat. That animal part is still being killed in order to be on/in your food. I hope that makes sense to everyone else.
#18 Old 10-13-2011, 10:29 PM
Beginner

I have never picked the meat off anything and I won't. I don't want to perpetuate the idea of "why don't you just pick it off" but I also don't want to cause meat to be bought for any reason. If the meat has been bought, the demand has been made and picking it off isn't going to change what the food industries see.

If I'm in a social situation and there is nothing to eat without meat, I won't eat anything. This was my lifestyle choice.

Luckily I am very vocal to my friends when we are doing something to make sure that I have something available or I'll offer to bring my own food if necessary. Or I'll eat before.
#19 Old 10-14-2011, 07:13 AM

I do not worry about meat being cooked on the same grill my non-meat food. I have only been a vegetarian for 2 months, and I have picked meat off of things twice. The first time, my husband cooked spaghetti and meatballs and thought I would be okay just not eating the meatballs. He was trying really hard to deal with my new vegetarianism, so I ate it, but asked him nicely not to do that again. The second time was a work function. I was there with my boss and several co-workers. The meal offerings were turkey sandwiches, roast beef sandwiches, chicken salad sandwiches or tuna salad sandwiches. I took a turkey sandwich and took the meat and cheese off - leaving me with a lettuce and tomato sandwich. I had only been vegetarian for about a week and did not want to make a big deal about it in front of my co-workers. If I was in the same situation today, I would not eat at all. I think my tolerance for picking meat off of things is getting smaller by the day.
#20 Old 10-14-2011, 09:03 PM
Veggie Regular

It didn't used to bother me, but now it does.

"If you are lonely when you're alone, you are in bad company."
Jean-Paul Sartre
#21 Old 10-15-2011, 02:27 PM
Banned

I won't go as far as calling it bad, just not something I can do myself.
#22 Old 10-15-2011, 07:40 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsschu2u View Post

I don't pick meat off of things (pizza, salads, sandwiches), and I prefer a clean place on the grill, but that is not always up to me. I'm far more flexible with the latter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamSmith View Post

I have never picked the meat off anything and I won't. I don't want to perpetuate the idea of "why don't you just pick it off" but I also don't want to cause meat to be bought for any reason. If the meat has been bought, the demand has been made and picking it off isn't going to change what the food industries see.

If I'm in a social situation and there is nothing to eat without meat, I won't eat anything. This was my lifestyle choice.

Luckily I am very vocal to my friends when we are doing something to make sure that I have something available or I'll offer to bring my own food if necessary. Or I'll eat before.

I feel the same way. When I first stopped eating meat I had a friend that made dinner for a group of us. She made homemade pasta sauce with chicken in it, and apologized for there being chicken in the sauce, but said I could just pick it out. And I did.
That is definitely not something I do anymore. I don't "pick off" animal flesh, sorry. It disgusts me.
#23 Old 10-16-2011, 06:29 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

+1.

Also, in the case of things that are deep-fried, if they are friend in vegetable oil, but in the same place as animal products, then I'll eat it, but not if it's cooked in animal fat.

Although sometimes I won't eat it if it actually tastes of what it's been cooked with, such as bacon, but that's because I hate the taste.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#24 Old 10-16-2011, 07:38 AM
Veggie Regular

If you are ok with picking things off and grill sharing, that's fine, it's up to you. I don't do it myself because im not comfortable with it, and I don't normally find myself in situations anymore where i would need to do it.

at home, my son and I are vegan, and when we eat out it's mostly at vegan cafes and restaurants.

The only place where I would have to grill share is maybe a BBQ at the house of someone who did not know I was vegan. It's not a problem with most of my meat eater friends because they always wait until the veg*ns have cooked their stuff before cooking their meat.
#25 Old 10-16-2011, 08:21 AM

I personally do not worry too much about the grill, although I do not usually order veggieburgers at restraunts. I tend to stay with the salads and muchroom sandwhiches and such. I would never take meat off of a pizza though then eat the piece. I...would just think thats gross.

I think that everyone here takes vegetarianism to their own extremes, and there is definetly no right or wrong. Some people take it to the high extreme, while some to the low. Each one is entitled to their own way of vegetarianism, because it's their own diets of course!

www.TheAnimalRightsBlog.com
#26 Old 10-16-2011, 08:47 AM
Banned

I can't eat things off the same grill as everyone else because of my food allergies. However, if that weren't an issue, I don't think I'd have a problem with it. My personal goal is to not contribute to the demand for meat. So if they didn't buy me a burger, then that's what I care about. Granted, I wouldn't eat something that was swimming in meat juices, but as far as the same-grill thing goes, I can't say I'd mind.

I won't, however, pick things out of food. That's partially because of my food allergies, but also because it goes right back to creating a demand. If I buy a pepperoni pizza, the meat industry won't have any clue I threw the meat part in the trash. My basic philosophy is that I won't pay for meat, or let other people pay for meat for me. I don't want to be responsible for any money going toward that industry.

(No, that doesn't mean I eat meat if it's free, as my family hoped )
#27 Old 10-16-2011, 02:27 PM

I wouldn't do it. I live with non-vegetarians and prepare my foods separately. I won't use a pan or pot prepared with meat unless it's washed prior to using. I don't use meat oil.
#28 Old 10-16-2011, 08:13 PM

I do it for ethical reasons, but I wouldn't want any meat by products (fat) on my cooked food. I don't eat gelatin sweets, I consider it like that personally.
#29 Old 10-17-2011, 10:01 AM
Veggie Regular

Veggieburgers from BK are nuked in the microwave...just as an aside.
#30 Old 10-17-2011, 10:27 AM
Veggie Regular

I've got zero problem having my veggie burger cooked on shared equipment, whether that be at a restaurant or someone's backyard grill. I do however have a problem with picking meat off of a dish to eat it, and to be honest that has more to do with stubbornness than ethics. I am just SO freaking tired of hearing my family and friends say things like: 'well Jimmy can just pick the meat off his pizza' or 'we are not going to order special food just because he's a finicky eater' or 'we're going to the steak house whether he likes it or not and he can just eat around the meat'. I don't expect everyone in my life to kowtow to my choice, but it sure would be nice if at least once in a while they could take it into account. Just once! God forbid my family should make any dish that doesn't have meat in it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page