What's the dumbest question you've been asked? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-07-2003, 03:39 PM

As a vegetarian or vegan, what's the stupidest question you've been asked? I was once asked if I consider pepperoni meat. I can understand why someone would ask me if I consider fish meat because a lot of people think fish are plants, but pepperoni?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-07-2003, 03:45 PM
Administrator

How come I can't have a bigger avatar? Just teasing.

VeggieBoards Alumni Facebook Group

If you're an old time VB'er stop by and say hi!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#3 Old 04-07-2003, 03:50 PM

Which South Park character is he? And why does he have blue hair? I don't remember any of the South Park characters having blue hair!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 04-07-2003, 03:52 PM
Veggie Regular

it's a hat i think

"i understand why you don't eat meat, but why don't you eat dairy? i mean they don't hurt the cows, just milk them"

I'm singin' here to get rid of fear
Hope it disappears right here with the rain
But I know life is pain, not like a fairytale
Meaningless to pray, so just goin' on my way
~Miyavi "Torture"
#5 Old 04-07-2003, 03:53 PM
Banned

Hmm. I went through a 10 minute ordeal with a waitress once. I said, "I'm a vegetarian. A vegan." "What's that?" "A vegetarian that doesn't eat eggs, or any dairy, honey, or anything animal-derived" "So you eat chicken??" "No. Nothing animal-derived." "Ok. Well then you eat cheese. No." "Well, let me go talk to the chef" "Ok." (5 mins. later) "So. We can make you a meal. Chicken alfredo?" "No...I don't eat chicken." "Ok, then vegetables with alfredo?" "No...I don't eat anything from animals." "Ok, so I'll be right back." (5 more mins later) "We can make you avocado in a curry sauce, vegetable consomme, grilled portabellos and zuchinni, herb-crusted tomato, with a baked potato." "Okay! Sounds geat!" "Would you like sour cream or butter with your baked potato?"

Sigh...some people really don't get it, huh? but at least she tried, I guess....

Cassie
#6 Old 04-07-2003, 03:53 PM
Administrator

Yep, it's a hat. This is Craig. He's not on much.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#7 Old 04-07-2003, 03:57 PM
Veggie Regular

The dumbest question/commment was "EWW, you're a vegetarian? I HATE vegetables!" The person obviously thought that's all I ate, what an idiot!
#8 Old 04-07-2003, 03:58 PM
Administrator

Actually my favorite stupid question has to do with the animals killed in harvesting plants.

#9 Old 04-07-2003, 03:59 PM
Veggie Regular

"So you eat turkey right?"

"No, that's meat."

"They say it's not really meat."

"Was it a living animal before it arrived on my plate?"
#10 Old 04-07-2003, 04:07 PM
Veggie Regular

the fish thing gets to me. they are NOT vegetables people!!

it seems to me that a lot of people flunked out of science class in grade school. you know, back when we learned that all living things are classified as either plants OR animals. meaning mammals are animals, fish are animals and birds are animals, as are humans and yes even insects.

so many people say "fish aren't animals though, they're fish"

are you stupid or just ignorant?? grrrrrrrrr

this is my biggest pet peeve lately. i find myself constantly explaining that anything with a brain and nervous system is obviously an animal, and that just because it's not a mammal doesn't mean it's not an animal or not a conscious being. and they think we're the wackos!

~Miyavi "Torture"
#11 Old 04-07-2003, 04:25 PM
Veggie Regular

i always thought there were no stupid questions, only stupid people who pose questions.
#12 Old 04-07-2003, 04:29 PM
Veggie Regular

I had someone say to me.. You don`t eat meat? that`s what cows are growed for. ummmmmmmmm Ok
#13 Old 04-07-2003, 04:44 PM
Veggie Regular

In restaurants when I have asked for something vegetarian, the response has been "Do you eat chicken?"
#14 Old 04-07-2003, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Michael

Actually my favorite stupid question has to do with the animals killed in harvesting plants.

Which question? "Why do you say you are for animal welfare/rights, but you kill so many animals when you eat veggies?"

I don't really think it is stupid. It gets irritating, both because omnis think that they've debunked this whole veg*n thing, and because there are plenty oif veg*ns that don't understand that they do cause some animal deaths.

I have gotten in arguments about veg*nism and I keep hearing stuff about how meat is not so bad for you if you eat special, grass-fed beef. This is then treated as gospel by other omnis attacking veg*nism. I think that they fail to realize that, while grass-fed is indeed healthier and more humane(than regular beef), the vast majority of meat eaters eat the garbage that is pumped out of factory farms.
#15 Old 04-07-2003, 05:21 PM
Veggie Regular

Chicken & fish. Probably the most annoying things to any vegetarian, aside from gelatin & carmine. I'm ovo-lacto, and whenever I announce that I'm vegetarian, the questions I get are all about chicken & fish. i get a variety:

"So is it just red meat or all meat"

"Do you eat chicken"

"Do you eat fish"

"Most vegetarians will eat fish"

Stuff like that annoys me. Why can't people just use logic:

Premise #1: A vegetarian is someone who does not eat animals

Premise #2: A Fish/chicken is an animal

Conclusion: Vegetarians DO NOT eat fish/chicken.
#16 Old 04-07-2003, 05:25 PM
Banned

Yes, thank you loki. That logic is so obvious. But people don't pick up on it as often as you would hope. Which means many people don't have a lot of logic. Hmph.

Cassie
#17 Old 04-07-2003, 05:27 PM

I totally agree. In the Time magazine articxle about veg*nism, they described the different types of vegetarians, including "pesco-vegetarians"(eat fish), and even "pollo-vegetarians"(eat chicken) Wtf? these are not vegetarians, imo. They are just omnis who won't eat beef/chicken/etc.
#18 Old 04-07-2003, 05:29 PM
Veggie Regular

Of course, I think the "what about fish" question to be silly. But, I did just have a discussion with someone who said since cows eat vegetation then he considers himself a vegetarian. LOL Whatever!
#19 Old 04-07-2003, 05:33 PM
Banned

Of course pescetarians and pollotarians aren't vegetarians. That's why they have their own titles. A vegetarian: one who does not eat meat--Meat: the flesh of an animal--Chicken and Fish: animals--Pesco-and pollotarians: no vegetarians. It really is that simple. I'm not trying to be mean, but calling people who consume chicken and fish just creates confusion.

Cassie
#20 Old 04-07-2003, 05:35 PM
Beginner

The "how do you get enought protein" question gets me EVERY time...although I can't really blame them because beans and stuff aren't really pushed as a protein source like meat is.

And the whole "I'm a vegetarian." "Oh, so you eat chicken?"

What the crap?!?!
#21 Old 04-07-2003, 05:38 PM

My favorite question posed to me so far: "What about the poor migrant workers that pick fruits and vegetables? They aren't paid enough-don't you care about them?"

To which I answered: "Yes, I do care, but at least they're not being slaughtered. Would it help them if I ate meat and dairy?Are you actively involved in trying to help their situation?"
#22 Old 04-07-2003, 05:41 PM
Veggie Regular

Proabably, Hilter was a vegetarian so does that make vegetarianism evil?

it's dumb because Hitler wasn't a vegetarian (Nazi propaganda and vegetarianism ignorant historians) and because by thta logic, omnis are evil becasue of all the terrible omnis throughout history.
#23 Old 04-07-2003, 05:44 PM
Veggie Regular

Actually it's been proved that hitler was NOT a vegetarian. He did eat meat sometimes. He disliked vegetarians and supposedly did not allow any vegetarian organizations in Nazi germany.
#24 Old 04-07-2003, 05:47 PM

"How do you get enough protein with out meat and dairy?"

My god have people never heard of nuts, nut butters, seeds, tofu, beans, and soy milk?
#25 Old 04-07-2003, 05:48 PM
Veggie Regular

I don;t know how historians could be stupid enough to think that somebody who loved liver dumplings and stuffed squab could be vegetarian.
#26 Old 04-07-2003, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by triumvir

Proabably, Hilter was a vegetarian so does that make vegetarianism evil?

it's dumb because Hitler wasn't a vegetarian (Nazi propaganda and vegetarianism ignorant historians) and because by thta logic, omnis are evil becasue of all the terrible omnis throughout history.

I hate it when omnivores bring up Adolf Hitler when discussing vegetarianism. I was talking about famous vegetarians with one of my friends one day and she snickered and said "What about Hitler?" I had to inform her that Adolf Hitler was not a vegetarian. He occasionally went on vegetarian binges to cure himself of sweatiness and flatulence, but he usually ate meat. He even banned vegetarian organizations in and around Germany.
#27 Old 04-07-2003, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mouse

My favorite question posed to me so far: "What about the poor migrant workers that pick fruits and vegetables? They aren't paid enough-don't you care about them?"

To which I answered: "Yes, I do care, but at least they're not being slaughtered. Would it help them if I ate meat and dairy?Are you actively involved in trying to help their situation?"

You should also mention that slaughterhouse workers are underpaid. And thousands of slaughterhouse workers are seriously injured on the job every year.
#28 Old 04-07-2003, 06:45 PM
Veggie Regular

i get the protein lecture from my mom every time i go visit. i have to keep reminding her and showing her websites proving my points, that everything but fruit contains some protein, so as long as i eat a wide variety of food and get enough calories, i get more than enough protein. it's really not an issue. i even read that the average doctor wouldn't recognize the symptoms of protein deficiency because it's so rare.

i also get the argument that plant based protein isn't as easy to absorb and use and animal based protein is better blah blah blah whatever. i've read the exact opposite so i just smile and nod politely and try not to mention all the bad effects of too much animal protein. people don't seem to like being reminded that what they're eating will probably kill them or make them very ill and that there's a simple solution to prevent it. *shrugs*

~Miyavi "Torture"
#29 Old 04-07-2003, 06:48 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by Sunburst

You should also mention that slaughterhouse workers are underpaid. And thousands of slaughterhouse workers are seriously injured on the job every year.

and stinky. at my old job this guy came in and when he walked up to the counter i took 3 steps back cause the stench was enough to make my eyes burn. he smelled like death. seriously, if death has a smell, that's it. i asked where he works and he said the new slaughterhouse, which made me take 3 more steps back.

i was relieved that he left without buying anything, if i'd sold him something and made comission i would have felt like the money was tainted or something. like drug money lol

~Miyavi "Torture"
#30 Old 04-07-2003, 07:10 PM
Veggie Regular

At a place I used to work at, a girl asked me if I ate peanuts because they were in the meat section of the food pyramid.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page