What's the dumbest question you've been asked? - Page 6 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#151 Old 04-19-2003, 09:36 PM
Veggie Regular

Today I was really surprised about something my friend said... She is really intelligent and usually knows what she is talking about or else asks questions... But today I was painting a house for Habitat for Humanity with a bunch of my friends from a group I volunteer with and a few of us were talking about our sack lunches as it was almost lunch time and were were HUNGRY! Anyway, one of my friends, a fellow veggie, said she had a cheese sandwich and she hoped it wasn't warm and melty by now. I said that I HATE cheese sandwiches. My wonderful intelligent other friend said to me... "Well, Melissa, if you are going to be a vegetarian then you are going to have to get used to eating cheese sandwiches!" As if that is my only sack lunch option! I was like, well, ya know, I don't have a cheese sandwich today... I have a hummus wrap with cucumbers on a spinach tortilla....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#152 Old 04-19-2003, 10:17 PM
Veggie Regular

I really wish that the vegetarian=cheese thing would go. I absolutely hate cheese, and how so many peopel assume that if they are to make a vegetarian meal, it should be based around cheese. Wouldn't it be better to just make a vegan meal? So all the bases are covered? because if I was omni and cooking for a veggie, I'd cook vegan, because vegan is universal, except for fussy omnis who won't eat vegan food.
#153 Old 04-20-2003, 01:00 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by sandebs

I worked with someone who said she was a vegetarian except she ate fish. I asked her why she ate fish being she is a vegetarian?

Her Response: Because fish aren't intelligent.

Bob

Pfff.. I forgot one last night.

Someone once asked me why I didn't eat fish. I said, "because fish are animals."

And her response: "But they don't feel pain."

I insisted that they do, and she insisted that they don't. We were around a group of people and she got laughed at. I felt kind of bad at that point, but at least she learned that fish feel pain.

makes me wonder ~ where on earth did all these misconceptions about fish come from??

amy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#154 Old 04-20-2003, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by OregonAmy

Someone once asked me why I didn't eat fish. I said, "because fish are animals."

I insisted that they do, and she insisted that they don't. We were around a group of people and she got laughed at. I felt kind of bad at that point, but at least she learned that fish feel pain.

makes me wonder ~ where on earth did all these misconceptions about fish come from??

amy

I so hate it when people say fish don't feel pain. Why then do they STRUGGLE when fishermen hook them? Sheesh >_<
#155 Old 04-20-2003, 01:43 AM
Veggie Regular

The most ridiculous I have been asked is "Would you eat a Venus Flytrap?"

Does anyone eat them? Why would this ever be an issue? I probably wouldn't as I don't want to eat something with dead flies in it.

I was also once asked "Hey now that you don't eat meat does your semen taste better?" My response:"Try it and see."

I couldn't resist.
#156 Old 04-20-2003, 04:02 AM
Veggie Regular

Peebs, hilarious! LOL

If they ask if you'd eat a venus flytrap, ask them if they'd eat some belladonna ... or foxglove... of course not all plants are edible.
#157 Old 04-20-2003, 08:38 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by superjane

My bf knows I'm vegetarian and he knows what that means, but when he ordered chicken wings, he asked if I wanted one.

My boyfriend did that to me, too! Except with salmon.

You see, he's into the whole 'atkin's diet'. For those of you who don't know.. that means he can ONLY eat meat, dairy, and eggs.. with the occasional chunk of lettuce.

I was eating dinner at his father's house.. they were eating salmon, I was eating whole wheat pasta with roma tomatoes. His father laughed at my meal and John said, "Here, Riely. Take some salmon."

He actually tried to put in into my bowl.

I flipped out on him... he still doesn't get it. He still wants to bring me out for steak and shrimp. He just doesn't understand.
#158 Old 04-20-2003, 08:58 PM
Veggie Regular

That atkins diet is soooo annoying!

Granted that my dad has lost 175lbs in two years being on it and now hes into running and biking and stuff but still....

Now my fiances mother has gone on that diet and now shes pressuring Dave to do it too! Its so annoying! I can handle him eating meat, but I can't handle it if thats all he eats. She was reading off a list the last time we visited his parents and every single thing you are allowed to eat is all meat, or egg. You aren't even allowed to eat fruit. What kind of diet dosen't allow FRUIT!

Anyways, I know Dave doese't want to do it to be repectful of me but sheesh. Now thats all i hear about when we visit my parents and his.
#159 Old 04-20-2003, 09:59 PM
Veggie Regular

I am against the atkins diet. It just doesn't sound right. I mean, what happened to the food pyramid we all know and love? Has it gone lopsided???
#160 Old 04-20-2003, 10:07 PM
Veggie Regular

I've heard SO many dumb things...just last weekend I was talking to a guy who'd never heard of a vegan. Some of his questions/comments:

- you don't even eat chicken or fish? my sister was a vegetarian for awhile but she ate chicken.

- but aren't beans sort of a meat? (WHAT?!)

And I had a friend in college tell me, completely honestly, no sarcasm, that she could eat chickens because they are ugly, and she doesn't mind if they die cause they're not nice to look at. I told her SHE wasn't nice to look at either, so maybe I should eat her.
#161 Old 04-21-2003, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Katieq

And I had a friend in college tell me, completely honestly, no sarcasm, that she could eat chickens because they are ugly, and she doesn't mind if they die cause they're not nice to look at. I told her SHE wasn't nice to look at either, so maybe I should eat her.

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!! That was a great comment! I guess you told her! =P
#162 Old 04-21-2003, 02:56 AM

My mum told me shed shove some apple pie down my throat (it had cream powder in it)

And my dad yelled out "Dont worry the eggs are free range"

Man these people must think im REALLY stupid!! It didnt even have any egg in it, and if it did they wouldnt be....

I locked myself in the bathroom for a while... and they got over it

**Danny**
#163 Old 04-21-2003, 10:05 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by OregonAmy

amy

I think that people have the ignorant misconception that fish don't feel pain because they can't scream in pain like a mammal or bird does. So if they don't make any noise while a sharp hook is sticking through their mouth, it musn't bother them. Yeah, okay.
#164 Old 04-21-2003, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by desty

Apart from the standard...'but you still eat fish right?'

I never ate fish anyway,

I love this one. I am proud to say I have never even TRIED fish or had it once in my life. My mom never cooked it and I was too disgusted by the smell to even try it when I ate meat.

So I think it's funny when people ask "Do you STILL eat fish?"

One of my co-workers calls herself a vegetarian even though she eats sealife. She works in another city and I only see her once or twice a year for meetings. She recently told me she went vegan and I was like "good for you!" Then when we were making plans for dinner she told another co-worker that she would prefer not to eat fish, but could do so "in a pinch." WTF?

She is really nice otherwise but people like her that call themselves vegetarians but still eat fish just makes it harder for all of us real vegetarians. It just perpetuates misinformation to the already uninformed.

I hope I didn't offend her though. We went out to a restaurant together and the waiter asked if fish was ok and I replied "Vegetarians do not eat fish." And he said "Oh, well some do." And I said "Show me the plant that fish grows on." I had forgotten my dining partner was one of those "fair-weather" vegetarians. Doh!

My mom was telling me about her friend's daughter who is a vegetarian. But she eats fish. So when I met her she told me "I am a vegetarian also!" I looked at her and said "Oh, I thought I heard you still ate fish." "Oh, yes, I eat fish," she replied.

I said "Well, that's a great start!"

I think that is the best way to handle these Fish eaters who insist on call themselves veg. Encourage their start in a veg direction but also point out to them that they are not actual vegetarians until they no longer eat fish.
#165 Old 04-21-2003, 11:36 AM
Veggie Regular

I think this fish thing goes back to ancient times. "Meat" has meant non seafood flesh to many people, and only red meat to some also. Like "no meat on Fridays" for Catholics means you eat fish instead. So I think it is due to the idea of vegetarians don't eat meat vs. they don't eat animals.
#166 Old 04-21-2003, 11:52 AM
Veggie Regular

For a while I was eating fish but still called myself a vegetarian b/c it is a lot easier to explain what you are eating or why you are not eating the beef, whatever. I only ate it occasionally and tended to avoid it, and I fully planned on eliminating it so it was just easier to say I was a vegetarian.
#167 Old 04-21-2003, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Thalia

Like "no meat on Fridays" for Catholics means you eat fish instead.

Ha ha, you should have seen the look on my mother-in-law's face once when I told her she should be happy, because her son "is a super-Catholic-- he doesn't meat seven days a week!"

She is very Catholic and has always looked down on our vegetarianism. When I said this to her, she didn't know what to say.
#168 Old 04-21-2003, 12:01 PM

has been doing the 'I don't eat meat on Friday' thing too. She hunts down fish for lunch on Friday. She asked me a few weeks ago if I wanted to get some with her. I told her that I don't eat fish (she knows I'm vegan ). Anyhow, she asked why I didn't eat fish and I politely told her. I asked her why she chooses to eat fish on Friday, but yet won't eat any other type of flesh on Friday. I mean to me, what's the difference? She explained that fish are cold-blooded and that's what makes it o.k. She said fish aren't animals; they are fish.

Hmmmm....needless to say, I'm still pondering what she said from time to time and trying to figure out her logic.
#169 Old 04-21-2003, 12:05 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by MsRuthieB

has been doing the 'I don't eat meat on Friday' thing too. She hunts down fish for lunch on Friday. She asked me a few weeks ago if I wanted to get some with her. I told her that I don't eat fish (she knows I'm vegan ). Anyhow, she asked why I didn't eat fish and I politely told her. I asked her why she chooses to eat fish on Friday, but yet won't eat any other type of flesh on Friday. I mean to me, what's the difference? She explained that fish are cold-blooded and that's what makes it o.k. She said fish aren't animals; they are fish.

Hmmmm....needless to say, I'm still pondering what she said from time to time and trying to figure out her logic.

Maybe her rationale only includes mammals?
#170 Old 04-21-2003, 12:10 PM

Myhusband and I were talking about how weird it is for people to only think of eating fish on Fridays since they aren't supposed to eat "meat".

Instead of looking for fish, why not eat a good vegetarian meal?

It seems like they never think outside of the box and just assume since they can't eat meat, then they MUST eat fish. Odd.

There's so many veg. options at restaurants now!
#171 Old 04-21-2003, 12:58 PM
Veggie Regular

It seems like some people just can't be happy with a meal unless another being has died for it. I just don't get it.
#172 Old 04-21-2003, 03:32 PM

Flesh-eating has been institutionalized in this country through hyper-marketing by companies like McDonalds, Burger King, Pizza Hut, Skippers, Sizzler, et al.

This explains why people are uncomfortable if there is no animal flesh on their plates during their meals.
#173 Old 04-21-2003, 04:12 PM

The anti-vegetarian comment that has always bewildered me is:

"But, God put animals on this planet so we can eat them! That is what they are here for!"

uh... that's right, human's are the reason this planet exists, and we have the right to exploit it to all means to make our life "easier"... come on, do people actually believe this and live by it? yep. Sad, huh? Very, very sad.
#174 Old 04-21-2003, 04:21 PM
Veggie Regular

I hate that fish and chicken thing.

I think I've mentioned how my finaces mother keeps asking me if I want chicken because daves brothers gf is a 'chicken and fish veggie'. Grrrr. Whatever. Hasn't she noticed that I've never eaten the chicken shes offered me in the past three years I've known her?

Thats not so bad.

What really bothered me is one day somebody asked if I ate fish. I said no. They said, but a fish isn't an animal. Well, what in the heck do you think a fish is then? Then they tried aruging with me about it for the next ten minutes. I thought, what difference does it make weather or not I eat fish anyways. Its not going to hurt you.
#175 Old 04-21-2003, 07:38 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by epski

Maybe her rationale only includes mammals?

Although, Birds aren't mammals, either.

I think we ought to all carry around a card explaining biotic kingdoms and phylums, etc. I will look for a link.
#176 Old 04-21-2003, 07:48 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by Thalia

Although, Birds aren't mammals, either.

I think we ought to all carry around a card explaining biotic kingdoms and phylums, etc. I will look for a link.

One out of every four mammals on the planet is a bat...
#177 Old 04-21-2003, 09:50 PM

In the bible firstly when god created the earth he gave all the plants for food, for the humans and animals.

But after he created the flood he said that every moving beast is food....

And there is tons about animal sacfrafices in the bible...

and the story about (cant remember there names) but on offered god his best grain, and god wasnt happy, the other brother offered him the fattest sheep, and god was happy....

**Danny**
#178 Old 04-21-2003, 09:55 PM

That whole bible topic sounds like it could be a whole other thread
#179 Old 04-21-2003, 10:38 PM
Veggie Regular

Well, I got two comments on Sunday that were the first...

One was my mum sounding surprised when she said I looked really good... I replied "what, not pasty and unhealthy looking?" LOL She's an Atkins (by the way, with Atkins you are supposed to eat veges too, just no carbs... so the people saying you can only eat meat eggs and dairy are being bad. Fruit is too sugary *sigh*). She doesn't look that great (has lost weight, but doesn't look healthy). The other one was my stepdad telling me how nice the steak was at his daughter's BBQ... I was like "and I care...?"

What is with people saying fish aren't animals? I like Jadzia's comment before "Show me the plant that fish grows on"... I'm going to use that one...
#180 Old 09-27-2005, 04:14 PM

I was going to eat at my sisters house and she asked if she if it would be ok if she just took the meatballs out of the spaghetti for me.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page