New Anti-Drug Ad Disses Vegetarians - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 03-06-2004, 06:37 PM
Veggie Regular

There's a new anti-drug radio ad which disses vegetarians.

The ad begins with a voice saying, "I'm a hypocrite...but, no, not like a vegetarian who wears leather shoes."

It then goes on to give an anti-drug message.

slops, gloops, and gruels.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-06-2004, 08:43 PM
Veggie Regular

How stupid

It's not in what you say, it's in what you do (Oasis)

Feeling bored? Why don't you wander over to my blog sometime. http://thebohemiankitchen.wordpress.com
#3 Old 03-06-2004, 09:05 PM
Veggie Regular

The real hypocrites are governments who make illegal the drugs which compete with the ones they collect taxes and campaign contributions from.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 03-06-2004, 09:14 PM
Veggie Regular

Welllllll... They're not dissing all vegetarians. They're dissing vegetarians who wear leather shoes. Maybe they should have said "buy" leather shoes instead...
#5 Old 03-06-2004, 09:39 PM
Veggie Regular

Well, people who are vegetarian for ethical reasons but continue to buy leather shoes are hypocrites.

Aren't they?
#6 Old 03-06-2004, 09:52 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenore View Post

Well, people who are vegetarian for ethical reasons but continue to buy leather shoes are hypocrites.

Aren't they?

I have a problem with the word hypocrite here. It generally means one who professes beliefs he or she doesn't actually hold. Now, ethical vegetarians may well hold ethical beliefs that led them to not eat meat. For ethical vegetarians to continue eating eggs and milk, and to also buy leather (and other animal products) is less hypocritical than it is inconsistent, depending on the exact nature of their ethics.
#7 Old 03-06-2004, 09:58 PM
Veggie Regular

Yes, but the thing is that many people automatically assume all vegetarians wear leather shoes.

For instance, a girl insisted to a friend of mine that I am hypocrite because I "wear leather shoes and a leather hat." I don't know where in the world the hat thing came from, seeing as I never wore hats to school, but instead of asking me she just made an assumption.

Also, I was discussing vegetarianism with a teacher in class once, and a guy leaned over and whispered to the other, "She's wearing leather." I made it clear that I had heard them and informed them that my shoes were plastic.

So, yes, someone who is veg for ethical reasons and continues to buy real leather is being hypocritical, but many people aren't intelligent enough to ask a person if their shoes are leather and just immedietly assume "you hypocrite".

Seeing that this ad was about as mainstream America as you can get, I saw it as a general stab at all vegetarians using a common insult and stereotype. Sort of like, "Oh, I bet you sneak meat when no one's looking!"

slops, gloops, and gruels.
#8 Old 03-06-2004, 11:22 PM
Veggie Regular

when i told my history/psych teacher i'm a vegetarian, the first thing she did was look at my shoes
#9 Old 03-06-2004, 11:44 PM
Joe
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by epski View Post

I have a problem with the word hypocrite here. It generally means one who professes beliefs he or she doesn't actually hold.

I agree. Vegetarianism is about diet, so has nothing to do with wearing leather shoes per se. You can say that the vegetarian "ought" to go further, but drawing a moral line does not make a person a hypocrite.

Here are definitions provided by The Vegetarian Society of the United Kingdom:

Quote:

What is a vegetarian?

Someone who does not eat meat, poultry, game or fish and who also avoids slaughterhouse by-products such as gelatine and animal fats. Most vegetarians eat dairy products and free-range eggs, Vegans avoid all animal products.

Definitions

A vegetarian is someone living on a diet of grains, pulses, nuts, seeds, vegetables and fruits with or without the use of dairy products and eggs (preferably free-range).

A vegetarian does not eat any meat, poultry, game, fish, shellfish or crustacea, or slaughter by-products such as gelatine or animal fats.

http://www.vegsoc.org/newveg/index.html

http://www.vegsoc.org/info/definitions.html

It's a bit like saying that a person who donates to charity but has a bank account is a hypocrite, because if that person were "truly charitable" he would give all his money and possessions to the poor and thus not have a bank account.
#10 Old 03-06-2004, 11:51 PM
Administrator

I don't mind it. When people think they've "caught" me wearing leather shoes I get satisfaction in telling them that they're wrong.

VeggieBoards Alumni Facebook Group

If you're an old time VB'er stop by and say hi!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#11 Old 03-07-2004, 12:15 AM
Veggie Regular

I still have leather shoes and a great leather jacket that I absolutely love. However, these are all items that I've had for at least two years...long before the thought of becoming a vegetarian had entered my mind. When people make comments wearing leather, I don't think they take into account that it's a shame to waste the things you already have. When my leather coat finally becomes unwearable I don't think I'll buy another one, but until then I'm sticking with it.
#12 Old 03-07-2004, 03:49 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post

I agree. Vegetarianism is about diet, so has nothing to do with wearing leather shoes per se. You can say that the vegetarian "ought" to go further, but drawing a moral line does not make a person a hypocrite.

Im in this camp.
#13 Old 03-07-2004, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenore View Post

Aren't they?

I have a leather trent coat, leather shoes, and leather gloves. However these where all bought before I became a vegtarian and before I became so involved in animal rights. Throwing these items away would be a waste of money, and a waste of life. Throwing away these items would not alter past events and it would not bring back the animal which would be already dead. Throwing them away would only feed my pride, which would be a very, very, stupid action to take.

Also if I was to find leather, or indeed fur items dumbed some where on the ground i would take them as my own so not to let them go to waste.

Of course, I always have to explain this if some one questions why I am wearing leather. Although if I'm protesting animal rights I dress in non leather items since it's not possible to explain to millions of people all at once.

Hope you understand all that.
#14 Old 03-07-2004, 08:21 AM
Administrator

I think she does, that's why she said "continue to buy."

VeggieBoards Alumni Facebook Group

If you're an old time VB'er stop by and say hi!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#15 Old 03-07-2004, 08:49 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post

Find someone needy that will use the leather items, donate it to good will or some other charity. Sell them on ebay or to someone ele that would otherwise be buying it from a retail outlet and supporting yet another death.

The term vegetarian has been stamped with being a diet for ethical reasons. So when people think vegetarian they think of a person that abhors the livestock industry. Where exactly do you think that leather comes from? Hence, hypocrite.

Saying "you already had them" is a very weak argument. It wont stop anyone from going out and buying those products. As I have said before, actions speak louder than words. I find it amusing how vanity can be the hardest thing for some people to overcome, especially those that are supposed to care about animals and are anti-meat.
#16 Old 03-07-2004, 08:59 AM
Veggie Regular

Some people can't afford to get rid of leather items (and buy new synthetic stuff), so they use them until they're worn out. Some people keep leather items that have sentimental meaning - a coat that was someone's father's, for example. It's not so black and white.
#17 Old 03-07-2004, 09:14 AM

Quote:

I never saw the "continue" I really should stop going on messege boards first thing in the morning.
#18 Old 03-07-2004, 11:16 AM
Veggie Regular

I've seen worse.... An off-comment within that context is not going to end vegetarianism for all time. It might even cause a few people to say, "Wait... vegetarianism and leather shoes? Let's look that up." I honestly think this one categorizes under "small stuff."

Besides the nature of that comment sounds more like someone who does not know much about vegetarianism (I think if they knew more, they might have specified "ethical vegan") than someone who actually has ill intent toward vegetarians. The "younger generation" is into vegetarianism, so this looks like an attempt to spin the anti-drug ad in a way that would appeal to them. (My guess)
#19 Old 03-07-2004, 12:05 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm not a hypocrite, not like one of those anti-drug people who drinks coffee.
#20 Old 03-07-2004, 12:20 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki View Post

I'm not a hypocrite, not like one of those anti-drug people who drinks coffee.

LOL this is so true. Nobody thinks of coffee/caffeine as a drug, but some can't live without their caffeine injection for the day.
#21 Old 03-07-2004, 11:13 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frost View Post

Find someone needy that will use the leather items, donate it to good will or some other charity. Sell them on ebay or to someone ele that would otherwise be buying it from a retail outlet and supporting yet another death.

The term vegetarian has been stamped with being a diet for ethical reasons. So when people think vegetarian they think of a person that abhors the livestock industry. Where exactly do you think that leather comes from? Hence, hypocrite.

Saying "you already had them" is a very weak argument. It wont stop anyone from going out and buying those products. As I have said before, actions speak louder than words. I find it amusing how vanity can be the hardest thing for some people to overcome, especially those that are supposed to care about animals and are anti-meat.

Or, perhaps the person isn't vegan Being vegetarian is about diet, being vegan is about lifestyle. And no, I don't wear leather shoes and am vegetarian. But I don't think you should put someone down for doing that.
#22 Old 03-07-2004, 11:24 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by christy13 View Post

Some people can't afford to get rid of leather items (and buy new synthetic stuff), so they use them until they're worn out. Some people keep leather items that have sentimental meaning - a coat that was someone's father's, for example. It's not so black and white.

First impressions are very black and white unfortunately.
#23 Old 03-07-2004, 11:48 PM
Veggie Regular

Only if you judge people prematurely. Who cares what those kind of people think.
#24 Old 03-08-2004, 12:13 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpickell View Post

Only if you judge people prematurely. Who cares what those kind of people think.

Well for one, the people that are getting offended by that ad, and ethical vegetarians, maybe some ethical vegans I would imagine. Anyone that is trying to promote a cruelty free image.
#25 Old 03-08-2004, 12:21 AM
Veggie Regular

Write to them. They'll stop airing the ad.
#26 Old 03-08-2004, 10:18 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by christy13 View Post

<--------------------------------------
#27 Old 03-08-2004, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frost View Post

Selling my coat is something I've given thought to, however at the moment I don't have a job so buying new items will be tricky. Also since my parents gave me my coat last year for my birthday it would be very rude of me to toss it out.

As for actions speaking louder then words, at the moment I'm not exactly trying to contert mass amounts of people. I have tried to encorage my close friends who already know why I still have my coat, they agree getting rid of it would be a fairly dumb action to take.

Although I do see the point you're trying to make. I may give it away to a friend if any of them want it... But like I said, it was a gift and I think my parents would become upset if I was to get rid of it.
#28 Old 03-08-2004, 01:52 PM
Veggie Regular

Should someone start a thread to debate the clothing aspect?

This thread deals with it a bit, this one's a poll. There may be others, but I didn't look through all of the search results.
#29 Old 03-08-2004, 06:25 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I don't mind it. When people think they've "caught" me wearing leather shoes I get satisfaction in telling them that they're wrong.

thats gotta be fun hehe

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page