Ayurvedic Vegan? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 03-06-2004, 12:41 PM

Hey, I'm wondering if anyone knows of any good books or articles or websites about being vegan and Ayurvedic.

(Correct me if I'm wrong or could clarify better) Ayurveda is an Indian philosophy that assumes that not all bodies are made the same. We each have a physical "temperment" - we may be Vata - lean and cold and tense, or we may be Kapha - relaxed and cool and unmotivated, or we may be Pitta - angry and hot and burny. The theory in Ayurveda is to use foods to balance out your physical energy. If you are feeling too Kapha, use vata or pitta foods, if you are feeling too Pitta, use Kapha foods, etc.

Anyway, I've never followed it strictly but I always have liked the concepts and have used them loosely in my diet. For example, I have a fast metabolism. If I eat salads they burn off like hairspray on a fire. It's almost better for me to eat nothing than to eat all raw foods. I'll be hungrier in half an hour after eating a salad than I was before I ate it. Because of this, I need to eat heavier foods - steamed veggies instead of raw veggies, pasta cooked with a little oil, things like that, and then I can throw some yummie raw foods on top. Conversely, if I'm feeling tired and out of it, something bitter and astringent - like grapefruit juice - can help to wake me up a little bit. The key is to use the senses. This has worked really well for me, and I remember when I first read about Ayurveda I was SO GLAD because someone FINALLY said what I believed: no one diet is appropriate for everyone, healthy is what your body says it needs, and raw foods or even just low fat foods aren't necessarily the best thing for everybody!

At any rate, the reason I ask is because as far as I can tell, classical Ayurveda uses a lot of dairy for Kapha - lots of ghee and lassi (which I love, but never eat now that I'm vegan). Again, it's not something I follow strictly - I'm not into "strict" in general - but it's a helpful and useful conceptual model. I would love to get more information on vegan Ayurvedic foods.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-06-2004, 01:12 PM

Hey, if you do find out, please let me know.. It sounds fascinating (and I should have known anway.. descending from people from that area)
#3 Old 03-06-2004, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeggieBloke View Post

Hey, if you do find out, please let me know.. It sounds fascinating (and I should have known anway.. descending from people from that area)

I will.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 03-06-2004, 09:31 PM
Veggie Regular

Where's zoebird when you need her?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page