new to veg lifestyle. How to eat veg on food stamps? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-23-2011, 08:42 PM

Iv been a vegetarian off and on for years really since i was 16 (im 24 now) but things have changed and we now havd food stamps and on really tight budget. we have 275 to spend a month on food so as you can see not alot of wiggle room as my mom likes to buy all meats. Im trying to go veg but i need some ideas i know things like beans and rice are cheap but fresh fruits and veggies at most we can only buy bag if apples that last mybe a week. Id really appreciate nay siuggestions and help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-24-2011, 05:54 AM
Veggie Regular

I'd look for a job and start buying my own food ASAP.
#3 Old 07-24-2011, 06:02 AM
Veggie Regular

Also, you can always just eat the side dishes. Your mom doesn't prepare everything with meat, does she?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-24-2011, 06:06 AM
Veggie Regular

Do you have a job? Can you get your own benefits? Your age would allow you to have your own case. Also, you can visit food banks and other places to supplement.

There is a frugal forum here with budget stretching ideas.

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
#5 Old 07-24-2011, 11:29 AM
Beginner

I'd definitely suggest getting a job, if you don't already have one. It can be anything really, as long as it pays, that way you can buy your own food, or at least help out with the food costs. And when possible, buy ingrediants for things instead of just buying the heat-and-eat types of meals you can get. Like my fiancee and I make our own pasta sauce from whole canned tomatoes, crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, and spices. I don't have the recipe off the top of my head since we usually just wing it until things start tasting yummy. But it's really cheap. We usually make a big batch that can last us well over a week, if not two or three weeks depending on how many things we make with sauce.

When I'm feeling strapped for money though, I like to look for sale items of things I already buy. Or things similar to what I normally buy. So if I normally buy fresh veggies, I can look for canned or frozen veggies that are similar, but cheaper. The more you do in the kitchen yourself, the cheaper things will be because then you're just paying for the food and not any prep work that the companies have already done for you.
#6 Old 07-24-2011, 01:38 PM

thanks guys. Trust me, I am looking for a job. I have been for months, just no places around are hiring and with no car, its hard. I know its patehtic i still live with my mom but...*shrugs* times are tough. I appreciate the advice. I will definetly be using it. oh about tomato sauce homeade ill try it but i found m any jars of it lie for 1 dollar so its just as cheap really. I also found ramen noodles with veggies tossed in makes it somehwat more healthy. AHIMSHA, nto sure about my own benefits...i never heard of this but i will look into it
#7 Old 07-24-2011, 04:42 PM
Veggie Regular

For fruits/veggies: check to see if your grocery stores have discount produce racks. Some stores have a little section where they drastically mark down produce that's not as fresh as the others. Some farmer's markets also accept food stamps. Aldi, Save A Lot and even some dollar stores have cheap fresh and frozen fruits and veggies. You can also start a garden and plant /grow your own produce.
#8 Old 07-24-2011, 11:06 PM
Veggie Regular

Dried beans, lentils, chickpeas, etc are WAY cheaper than canned ones.

Check out local dollar stores also for stuff. You can find some good veg food deals there sometimes. I've seen soy milk that's usually $3 to $5 a carton for $1.

Definitely check your grocery store ads to see what's on sale for fresh fruits and veggies. If you have any local small farms sometimes you can buy produce for a discount that's bruised or overripe but still good to eat if you cook it up and more and more of them are taking food stamps.

As long as there are slaughterhouses there will be battlefields. - Leo Tolstoy
My blog -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#9 Old 07-26-2011, 07:46 PM

As a poor student, day old bread, bulk grains/ legumes, and the ugly, but otherwise fine produce on the reduced-price racks have kept me well fed on about $35 a week. I fill the hummus, tea, condiment and almond milk gaps by stocking up like a madwoman when good sales occur.
#10 Old 07-27-2011, 11:59 AM
Beginner

I also receive food stamps and I've had some great success in finding healthy, filling foods that fit my budget. For fresh fruits and vegetables, I suggest potatoes and bananas. They are both filling, calorie-dense, and who doesn't love a baked potato? Frozen veggies and fruits are a great idea as well, often my grocery store's brand of frozen veggies are on sale for less than a dollar a pound.
#11 Old 07-28-2011, 10:17 AM
Veggie Regular

My husband still eats meat its his choice but what do you say. Anyhow he only gets small amount of that and we use the rest on canned soups, frozen veggies, boxed mashed potatos, rice, stuffing, canned veggies, canned beans, some frozen vegan meals, you have to shop around. Is there an aldi's or save a lot near you? I know some of their foods are not ok to get but, majority can hold you until things improve , just shop around.
My husband and I are on EBT card as well and we got it to last longer.
#12 Old 07-28-2011, 02:24 PM
Lifelong vegetarian

In the second world war my parents exchanged meat coupons for other things to get.

My usual answer: I have never heard a convincing reason to eat meat.
#13 Old 07-28-2011, 02:32 PM
Veggie Regular

I also receive food stamps and so does my son who lives with me. You can apply for yourself as a separate household from your parents as you eat separate foods. I would apply... with no income you will get expedited benefits for the first month which will get you started on buying some bulk staples. Go online to apply.
Everyone has very good advice!!
Good luck to you!

"Women & cats will do as they please, & men & dogs should relax & get used to the idea." Robert Heinlein
#14 Old 07-28-2011, 02:54 PM
Veggie Regular

go dumpster diving.

"Hell exists not to punish sinners, but to ensure that nobody sins in the first place."
#15 Old 07-28-2011, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envy View Post

go dumpster diving.

Awesome idea! Always wanted to learn more about freeganism.
#16 Old 07-28-2011, 11:20 PM
Veggie Regular

Some of the farmers markets here take the LINK card (food stamps) and are often much cheaper than grocery stores.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page