Where do we stand on killing insects? - Page 6 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 19Likes

#151 Old 08-21-2011, 07:53 PM
Veggie Regular

I used to kill bugs in my house - mainly to keep them away from the kids, but now I'm more thoughtful about it. I try my best to catch and release it. And yell at my husband when he begins to take off his shoe to squash a bug.
We have a yearly ant infestation- its awful they are marching soldiers in line all over the walls and floor- in our pantry and even manage to get in the fridge. They have to go but maybe next spring I will find alternative methods to drive them out instead of kill them.
I heard cinnamon works where they enter to deter them and maybe washing the floor with mint and rosemary, but do those really work?

Even if you fall on your face, you're still moving forward.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#152 Old 08-21-2011, 08:19 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainy Day View Post

I don't really kill insects myself. I ignore all bugs outside of my home. Spiders don't bother me unless they are on me and even then I just shake them off. Roaches do bother me big time but again, I don't kill them myself. I don't want to see any gross stuff oozing out of it. I have somebody else kill it for me.

So, putting it out of your mind makes it not happen? Isn't that a very prominent omni argument? "I don't like to think about where my food comes from." "I don't like to think about the fact that somebody killed it."

Not trying to attack. Just askin'.

Enjoying the view over at http://forum.veggieviews.com/

#153 Old 08-22-2011, 04:11 PM

If nobody ever killed an insect, they would have taken over the world by now. I'm all for killing whatever I imagine could have come out of Pandora's box.

Actually, I leave them alone unless they invade my space. Let them stay outside where they belong.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#154 Old 08-22-2011, 05:53 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegkid View Post

So, putting it out of your mind makes it not happen? Isn't that a very prominent omni argument? "I don't like to think about where my food comes from." "I don't like to think about the fact that somebody killed it."

Not trying to attack. Just askin'.

100% agree with you there, if people had to kill their own meat, I would probably not be completely against it, because I guess they'd have a better argument for eating it.

As far as bugs go, I'm pretty afraid of them crawling on me but I'd never kill them, especially NOT spiders. There is no reason to kill them in my country, really animals should be swatting us, we bring the most diseases, destroy the world the most.

Nothing is more sexy than compassion
#155 Old 08-22-2011, 05:55 PM
Beginner

I go through the same method day in day out in our house.

I scream a bit, then the boyfriend rushes in and captures the bug in his hands, then he torments me with it, then I hold the door open while he releases it, then he has a go at me for screaming over a bug, then I have a go at him for tormenting me with it..... happens all the time lol

Nothing is more sexy than compassion
#156 Old 08-23-2011, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyMetal87 View Post

100% agree with you there, if people had to kill their own meat, I would probably not be completely against it, because I guess they'd have a better argument for eating it.

As far as bugs go, I'm pretty afraid of them crawling on me but I'd never kill them, especially NOT spiders. There is no reason to kill them in my country, really animals should be swatting us, we bring the most diseases, destroy the world the most.

I don't kill spiders, except for poisonous ones and wolf spiders, simply because they jump and are hard to catch, and they scare the beejeezus out of me! Little daddy longlegs and house spiders don't bother me, but I'm not playing host to black widows and brown recluses. I figure it like this. There are TONS of them outside. Killing one in the house to keep it from crawling between my sheets and biting me is not going to decimate the population. I've been bit by a spider, and it is not pretty. I have a scar on my leg to prove it that took six months to heal completely.
#157 Old 08-24-2011, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlixJ18 View Post

I think it depends on the person, technically insects are animals but plenty of scientists don't believe bugs feel pain or have the capacity to do so. i kill bugs when i have to, like with flies that you can't get to leave, i can't leave that in the house because i'm not about to have a maggot infestation and then a fly infestation, i'm afraid of spiders, i do kill them, i've had a couple close calls with spiders that turned out to be brown widows, can be worse than black widows, and i wasn't taking my chances with that.

I also think so.

#158 Old 08-24-2011, 09:36 PM
Veggie Regular

The only insects I am willing to kill are fleas, ticks, mosquitos and silverfish. The silverfish because they are creepy and I have a large comic book collection that I don't want them munching on. As for the rest it is strictly catch and release. I like spiders, I just don't understand how someone could be freaked out by one.

Insects don't feel pain? maybe, maybe not, I'm not any where close to being an expert. But, that statement reminds me a lot of a naive young co-worker who told me fish don't feel pain because they don't have nervous systems. And she's a biology major at UCSB! I told her to ask her instructor if that was true or not.
#159 Old 08-24-2011, 09:44 PM

I catch them and then let them go unless I'm too lazy, and then I leave them alone. For example I know for a fact that there is a black widow in my kitchen as I type this, but he's just chillin. Been sitting in the same spot for 3+ days and he isn't hurting anyone.

Edit: I do kill fleas that I find on my cats

"For as long as men massacre animals, they will kill each other. Indeed, he who sows the seed of murder and pain cannot reap joy and love." -Pythagoras
#160 Old 08-26-2011, 06:06 PM

Had a bad cockroach problem years ago and they are almost impossible to get rid of. If you have a few, they will eventually become thousands, not to mention all of the droppings and diseases they carry. You will eventually have to hire an exterminator or move. I had to finally just move out.
#161 Old 08-26-2011, 06:22 PM

I try not to kill bugs...I currently have 5 extra large deer fly bites, resembling vampire holes, on my legs to prove it!

Occasionally when something is trying to eat me though I react, and well, accidents happen.

I'm sensitive, & I'd like to stay that way ~JK~
#162 Old 08-26-2011, 11:43 PM
Veggie Regular

Every day now there have been bugs crawling on me, and maybe you'll laugh at me but i do have a fear of that, and so it's almost my worst fear coming true except they aren't all on me at once. I've literally been having major anxiety and i don't even want to open a door now for fear of bugs coming inside even more than they already are, i keep killing them, some of them i flicked off or whatever and now i don't know where they are and one is a spider, i don't live outside i don't choose for bugs to be crawling on me, and they are invading my space, i won't even sit on my couch now because every time that's where i was sitting.
#163 Old 08-27-2011, 09:01 AM
Veggie Regular

Now, that's just a little obsessive. Can't you just brush them off? I sometimes even get a little skittish about that, I like insects but would rather not have them crawling on me without my permission, and that's what I do. So far, the only thing that has reacted negatively to brushing it off was a fire ant, who proceeded to call all it's friends who then bit my feet, but that was outside anyway, not inside like you're worried about.

#164 Old 08-27-2011, 03:08 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Now, that's just a little obsessive. Can't you just brush them off? I sometimes even get a little skittish about that, I like insects but would rather not have them crawling on me without my permission, and that's what I do. So far, the only thing that has reacted negatively to brushing it off was a fire ant, who proceeded to call all it's friends who then bit my feet, but that was outside anyway, not inside like you're worried about.

Sorry that my fear and anxiety sounds "obsessive", but no as i said i'm now paranoid that there's a ton of bugs hiding about that i haven't killed that will now crawl on me. I stepped on a black widow while outside last week, and one time there was a brown widow crawling on me, so there's a couple reasons why i'm even more afraid.
#165 Old 08-27-2011, 03:26 PM

Have you heard of ultrasonic pest repellers? You plug them in & they emit a frequency that you cant hear but keeps creepy crawlies & other creatures away without harming them (as far as I know). That would maybe just stop them coming in your house in the first place. I dont own one so I dont know how/if they work.

Flesh is for Zombies! xx
#166 Old 08-27-2011, 07:59 PM
Banned

Sometimes I think insects are trying to make friends with me (but, not mosquitos !!!!!). But they're going to accidentally get hurt if we try hanging out for a good amount of time.
#167 Old 08-27-2011, 08:14 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empty_Shell View Post

Sometimes I think insects are trying to make friends with me (but, not mosquitos !!!!!). But they're going to accidentally get hurt if we try hanging out for a good amount of time.

That's one of the main reasons I don't want them crawling on me. I don't want to accidentally squish them, for their own sake, and for mine. I have a weird phobia with spiders. I'm not afraid of them, but I'm afraid of squishing them. Not ordinary little ones, but those giant fleshy colored ones. Witnessed my mom squishing one when I was a kid, and it disturbed me and that image just sort of stuck with me. Turns my stomach even now, and the sight of them bothers me for that reason. I just think of them being squished.

Direct action is always the clamorer, the initiator, through which the great sum of indifferentists become aware that oppression is getting intolerable. - Voltairine de Cleyre
#168 Old 08-27-2011, 09:29 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlixJ18 View Post

Sorry that my fear and anxiety sounds "obsessive", but no as i said i'm now paranoid that there's a ton of bugs hiding about that i haven't killed that will now crawl on me. I stepped on a black widow while outside last week, and one time there was a brown widow crawling on me, so there's a couple reasons why i'm even more afraid.

Sorry, but yes, to me it does. It doesn't make it any less real, or make you any more in the wrong for having it, but it's still obsessive, and it's killing animals that did nothing wrong simply because it exists. And that to me is the problem, not the phobia itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimberlily1983 View Post

That's one of the main reasons I don't want them crawling on me. I don't want to accidentally squish them, for their own sake, and for mine. I have a weird phobia with spiders. I'm not afraid of them, but I'm afraid of squishing them. Not ordinary little ones, but those giant fleshy colored ones. Witnessed my mom squishing one when I was a kid, and it disturbed me and that image just sort of stuck with me. Turns my stomach even now, and the sight of them bothers me for that reason. I just think of them being squished.

This. This is me right here. Lately I've been a bit weird about picking up bugs because I'm afraid for some reason I might hurt it by accident and then I'll have a body and a life on my hands. I've been opting to intervene as little in the lives of insects as possible as of late, and that's probably good for both of us. If I'm fairly certain I'm in a safe, stable environment, I have no problem with insects/etc walking on me though, as long as I know they're not going to hurt me.

#169 Old 08-27-2011, 10:18 PM
Veggie Regular

vegkid, your post made me think of something, slightly off-topic, but not entirely, as it's to do with how much interference in other animals' lives is okay. What do you guys typically do when you see animals in the wild? My friend and I were walking on the beach the other day, and we saw a bunch of sandpipers, or sandpiper-like birds. We were walking in their direction and they weren't budging. They'd hop around a little, but weren't leaving the area. My friend's reaction was to move closer, stop a few feet away and watch them. My own reaction was not to do anything to intimidate them, to keep my distance, walk closer to the water and around them so we could keep going on our way, after observing them briefly from a distance.

For others who love observing animals, how do you reconcile that with not wanting to intimidate them? I mean, sometimes you can tell they're okay with it, they're curious about you, too. But sometimes they're obviously agitated, and I've noticed some people don't seem phased by that, will keep approaching anyway. How about times it's not clear? Do you err on the side of caution?

To bring it back to the topic at hand, does anyone here rescue bugs caught in spider webs? I do. I can't watch a fly or whatever struggle away desperately and do nothing. I feel bad doing that to the spider, but I find that I have to do it. I'd thought about the issue once, and decided I was going to stop, but then the next time it happened, I had to rescue the bug.

Bolded the questions for people who are skimming these longer posts, haha.

Direct action is always the clamorer, the initiator, through which the great sum of indifferentists become aware that oppression is getting intolerable. - Voltairine de Cleyre
#170 Old 08-28-2011, 08:52 AM
Veggie Regular

No, I don't rescue bugs caught in spider webs. Spiders sometimes go a while without food. You could unintentionally kill the spider by taking away the meal he worked for, however cruel it may seem to leave the bug in.

#171 Old 08-28-2011, 02:54 PM
Banned

I sometimes rescue bugs from spider webs. Spiders thrive a little too well around here, and I absolutely hate accidentally walking through a spider web, especially when it goes on my face !

Sometimes I think insects are trying to take measurements so they can buy me a very well fitting custom made suit.
#172 Old 08-28-2011, 08:12 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empty_Shell View Post

Sometimes I think insects are trying to take measurements so they can buy me a very well fitting custom made suit.

Now that. That sounds like a cute idea for a cartoon short.

#173 Old 08-28-2011, 09:41 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

No, I don't rescue bugs caught in spider webs. Spiders sometimes go a while without food. You could unintentionally kill the spider by taking away the meal he worked for, however cruel it may seem to leave the bug in.

No doubt true. But it could be the same with, say, a group of coyotes chasing after a deer. If I had a way of saving the deer, I'd do it. The right thing to me seems to be to help the victim, even if that harms the one doing the attacking, by denying them their meal, etc. If someone were trying to kill me for food, I'd want someone else to rescue me if they could, despite the fact that my attacker might starve for it.

#174 Old 08-29-2011, 10:35 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

No doubt true. But it could be the same with, say, a group of coyotes chasing after a deer. If I had a way of saving the deer, I'd do it. The right thing to me seems to be to help the victim, even if that harms the one doing the attacking, by denying them their meal, etc. If someone were trying to kill me for food, I'd want someone else to rescue me if they could, despite the fact that my attacker might starve for it.

Now that I think about it, there is a solution to this. Take the bug out and replace it with another one that was already dead. I've done something similar before, by saving a worm from some ants that were trying to eat it, and then afterwards feeling guilty and putting a potato chip where the worm had been. Though, ants will eat anything, but spiders are very specific, so you'd for sure need a dead bug, which you probably wouldn't have at the time

#175 Old 08-29-2011, 08:29 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Now that I think about it, there is a solution to this. Take the bug out and replace it with another one that was already dead. I've done something similar before, by saving a worm from some ants that were trying to eat it, and then afterwards feeling guilty and putting a potato chip where the worm had been. Though, ants will eat anything, but spiders are very specific, so you'd for sure need a dead bug, which you probably wouldn't have at the time

Also, don't spiders suck the blood or blood-like fluid out of the bug while it's still alive, killing it in the process? A dead bug might be all dried up inside and not of interest to them.

#176 Old 08-29-2011, 08:46 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Also, don't spiders suck the blood or blood-like fluid out of the bug while it's still alive, killing it in the process? A dead bug might be all dried up inside and not of interest to them.

That's a good point. I never really thought about this.

I need to do some research. There's got to be a solution to this.

#177 Old 08-29-2011, 08:50 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

That's a good point. I never really thought about this.

I need to do some research. There's got to be a solution to this.

Haha, and while you're at it, if you've got any knowledge of physics, see if you can figure out how to design a car so that insects would end up being deflected from the vehicle's path instead of smashing right into the grill, hood, or windshield. There's got to be some way of doing this with air currents!

#178 Old 08-29-2011, 08:52 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Haha, and while you're at it, if you've got any knowledge of physics, see if you can figure out how to design a car so that insects would end up being deflected from the vehicle's path instead of smashing right into the grill, hood, or windshield. There's got to be some way of doing this with air currents!

I don't know if you were being sarcastic or not, but I bet that's actually possible.

#179 Old 08-29-2011, 08:56 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I don't know if you were being sarcastic or not, but I bet that's actually possible.

No no, I'm being completely serious! Except maybe about the part where you're the one who figures this out. My knowledge of physics is quite sad, so I'm not sure how challenging this would be, and I also don't know whether your brain can understand and tolerate this subject matter more than mine.

But yeah, I bet it's possible. Maybe it's actually super easy to do, but hasn't been done due to a lack of demand.

#180 Old 08-29-2011, 09:00 PM
Veggie Regular

You'd be right, there. The most I know about physics is that gravity pulls things down and that portals don't affect it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page