I'm so frustrated - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-05-2011, 07:01 PM
Banned

I haven't posted a ton on these forums yet, but if you've seen me around you may know I have a soy allergy. Anytime I slip up, I get very sick. Stomach cramps. Intestinal discomfort. Hives. Rash. Nausea. It's miserable.

The reaction I've gotten from almost everyone, even fairly supportive people, is something along the lines of, "Just go back to meat."

I'm going nuts. I was thinking seriously of working toward veganism, but now I just don't know. I dread being a guest at anyone's house, and get out of it whenever I can. Now, I not only turn down the meat, but have to pass on their bread, crackers, hotdog buns. If someone decides to be sweet and make me a veggie dog/veggie burger, I can't eat it. If margarine goes on the veggies, they're off limits. I used to love eating at restaurants, and now I dread it because I can't have anything that's on the menu. Not even the starter bread at the beginning of the meal. I usually have to pick a pasta dish and customize it half to death, then give loads of special instructions to ensure that I can eat it.

I'm doing my best. I bake my own bread, bring a dish everywhere I go, etc. It's just such a pain to explain this to people. I come off as the ultimate picky eater, when in reality, I love most foods. When I was an omni, I'd eat just about any dish you put in front of me. I feel rude. I know I'm not being rude, but I can't shake just feeling horribly guilty. Relatives make comments about how crazy I am to limit myself so much. I've been called a food snob as well as anorexic, because I'd rather go hungry than eat something that will make me sick.

I don't really know what I'm looking for with this post. I'm just going out of my mind. I enjoy food so much, and it's become such a lonely experience for me. Vegetarianism on its own looks like a piece of cake compared to combining it with an allergy. I've cut way, way back on eggs and dairy because of the ethical issues, but frankly I'm terrified to cross anything else off the list of foods I can eat when it's already so short.

Help? Advice? Reality checks? I'll take anything.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-06-2011, 05:34 AM
Veggie Regular

Don't feel guilty at all! You are not being picking or unreasonable. You have an allergy! You are looking after your health. I found this blog that might be helpful : http://glutenfreesoyfreevegan.wordpress.com/.
#3 Old 07-06-2011, 06:53 AM
Veggie Regular

Point out the fact that it isn't any easier to avoid soy as a meat-eater.

Most of their crap is deep fried in vegetable oil...which is soybean oil.

Just about all omni processed foods have soy lecithin, or some other soy-based ingredient, just to enhance shelf life or mouthfeel.

Plus, our meat animals are fed (wait for it) soy!!! You can actually taste it in the meat. Ask anyone who has had to feed cows. I've known many who have stopped eating beef because they are bothered by how the meat tastes like the grain smells that the cow was fed.

Of all the food allergies, yours is one of the most impossible to avoid, and I don't envy you in the slightest.

Years ago, there was a member of VB who was vegan, and he was allergic to soy, wheat gluten, AND corn!!!!!

Geez... I'll never complain about my little pineapple allergy ever again!

Give thanks to Mother Earth for Her greatest gift...

...gravity.

For without it, we would be lost.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-06-2011, 07:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fadeaway1289 View Post

Don't feel guilty at all! You are not being picking or unreasonable. You have an allergy! You are looking after your health. I found this blog that might be helpful : http://glutenfreesoyfreevegan.wordpress.com/.

Ahh I love that blog Thanks for looking that up for me, fadeaway! She has some great posts.

I think the reason I'm having such a hard time with this is that I discovered my allergy about a month after quitting meat. So I went from practically the world's easiest person to accommodate to a veritable nightmare for potential hosts. I make sure to notify them in advance, but I'm not sure if it helps or hurts. Most of them just push me to eat meat or "at least fish." They're doing it because they care - they're afraid that poor Rose is just way too hard on herself by adding voluntary dietary restrictions on top of imposed ones.

I have no intention of caving and going back to meat...I just wish that we didn't put soy into so many things! I can make tons of delicious things without it on my own, so why can't more supermarkets and restaurants do it??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazelnut View Post

Point out the fact that it isn't any easier to avoid soy as a meat-eater.

Most of their crap is deep fried in vegetable oil...which is soybean oil.

Just about all omni processed foods have soy lecithin, or some other soy-based ingredient, just to enhance shelf life or mouthfeel.

Plus, our meat animals are fed (wait for it) soy!!! You can actually taste it in the meat. Ask anyone who has had to feed cows. I've known many who have stopped eating beef because they are bothered by how the meat tastes like the grain smells that the cow was fed.

Of all the food allergies, yours is one of the most impossible to avoid, and I don't envy you in the slightest.

Years ago, there was a member of VB who was vegan, and he was allergic to soy, wheat gluten, AND corn!!!!!

Geez... I'll never complain about my little pineapple allergy ever again!

Vegan, soy-free, gluten-free, AND allergic to corn? I feel like I should just delete this whole thread and stop my whining. Yikes.

I love telling people how much meat contains soy/is fed with soy. It gets some people off my back. And yeah, vegetable oil has become the bane of my existence, since it's ALL restaurants seem to cook with unless you specify otherwise.

In a few days, my boyfriend is bringing me to a party downtown to meet his boss. I really don't want to go. I WOULD want to go if not for this allergy. I'm still pondering if I should back out. It's a BBQ, and veggie burgers are out unless I bring my own (I may.) If I do that, though, I'll need to bake some soy-free hamburger buns. Then I'll have to explain why I did that to everyone I meet at the party, get into and out of the "just eat meat" conversation without upsetting anyone, and quite possibly feel like crap while watching the hosts scramble around their kitchen trying to feed me something I'll have to turn down.

I think I'm just going to bring a couple dishes to share. It seems the best way to go about it. I just miss the days when eating was simple.
#5 Old 07-06-2011, 07:36 PM
Banned

Thank you both for responding, by the way. I know a lot of people here haven't experienced this, but I appreciate the support
#6 Old 07-06-2011, 07:45 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowRose View Post

I just miss the days when eating was simple.

I do, too.

Anyways, do you really even need to mention vegetarianism?
You know, my father has been hospitalized several times because he's allergic to a food preservative that's found in processed meat products.
Couldn't you just explain that you have a food allergy issue when you turn down the burgers, or are asked why you brought your own goodies? And then change the subject?

You'd know more about this than I, but I don't think there are many potato chips made with soybean oil. I only have one bag in the house, and it has "Vegetable oil(contains one or more of the following: corn, cottonseed or sunflower oil)" I know a lot are made with safflower oil, too.

Good luck!!!

...gravity.

#7 Old 07-06-2011, 09:48 PM
Veggie Regular

Here are some resources for you:
http://www.vegkitchen.com/nutrition/when-soy-annoys/
http://www.veganmeans.com/how_vegani...ternatives.htm
http://soyfreevegan.blogspot.com/

Also, you might want to consider medications since your allergy isn't the severe kind where soy could kill you. Mayo clinic says soy allergy can sometimes be treated with antihistamines. Read more here:
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/soy...ents-and-drugs
I don't know if that sounds like an option for you or not, but personally I take antihistamines for allergies to cats, grass, trees, etc. becasue it's just easier to live my life that way. I'd rather not have to remove cats from my life. So if you think you might want to consume soy in small doses (not worry about it being added to things like bread) then it might be worth looking into. You can talk to a doctor about it.
#8 Old 07-06-2011, 10:00 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElaineV View Post

http://www.vegkitchen.com/nutrition/when-soy-annoys/
http://www.veganmeans.com/how_vegani...ternatives.htm
http://soyfreevegan.blogspot.com/

Also, you might want to consider medications since your allergy isn't the severe kind where soy could kill you. Mayo clinic says soy allergy can sometimes be treated with antihistamines. Read more here:
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/soy...ents-and-drugs
I don't know if that sounds like an option for you or not, but personally I take antihistamines for allergies to cats, grass, trees, etc. becasue it's just easier to live my life that way. I'd rather not have to remove cats from my life. So if you think you might want to consume soy in small doses (not worry about it being added to things like bread) then it might be worth looking into. You can talk to a doctor about it.

That reminds me...
I'm allergic to birds, and for years I worked in various animal related jobs (the bad kind...not the good kind). Every so often I'd find myself having to work in tiny enclosed spaces with 200-500 small birds freaking out and fluttering around my head while I did my job.

I took to using children's liquid Benadryl. It has adult dosage instructions on the bottle. Since it is liquid, I feel like it works faster, and most importantly I have perfect control of my dosage with the liquid, and could find that balance between "effective" and "don't make any plans for the rest of the day...zzz.z.z.z.z....."

If memory serves, it was 4 tsp for an adult every four hours. I took 1 tsp every hour and a half, and did just fine with it.

I'm not saying this is a solution, but if you're stuck in a situation where you can feel you're having a reaction, but you don't want to be drowsy, you may be able to get someplace and purchase a bottle of this stuff.

...gravity.

#9 Old 07-06-2011, 10:20 PM
Veggie Regular

I dont eat a lot of soy either. It doesnt agree with me. I actually saw something on TV which says that there is just as much soy in foods that omnis eat, ie sausages, milk chocolate, which the food manufacturers put in. So I dont know that going back to omni would be the solution to your problems...

I dont eat tofu but I do have many different beans and quinoa. I buy different types of mushrooms, wild ones are good, I once bought a packet which had all sorts of weird ones in it.

If you want burgers you can make your own patties out of lentils, or bean patties. They are delicious. I saw a recipe for chickpea sausages online, I would like to try to make them. You can also make patties and sausages with seitan (though I have never tried it.)
#10 Old 07-07-2011, 09:08 AM
Banned

Quote:

Couldn't you just explain that you have a food allergy issue when you turn down the burgers, or are asked why you brought your own goodies? And then change the subject?

I don't usually get away with that because people want to know what I'm allergic to, but I'll definitely give it a shot. It's easier not to talk about it. Also, you're right about the potato chips I can eat a lot of kinds of chips, actually, which is wonderful and terrible for me at the same time

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElaineV View Post

Thank you for the links!

My allergist never mentioned antihistamine treatment, but I'll bring it up. It would definitely simplify things a LOT to not have to worry about small doses of soy. *Makes doctor's appointment.*

Quote:

I took to using children's liquid Benadryl.

That's so interesting. I'd never thought of that either. I've taken Benadryl for seasonal allergies, so I can definitely tolerate it. I'll look into that as well. That's a great suggestion! Thank you!

[QUOTE]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freesia View Post

there is just as much soy in foods that omnis eat, ie sausages, milk chocolate, which the food manufacturers put in. So I dont know that going back to omni would be the solution to your problems...

Yeah, I agree completely. I'd even be worried about reacting to just plain meat considering how many animals are fed with soybeans. I'd never consider going back to omni. My real struggle now is whether or not to eventually go vegan. I'm not on a timetable to make that decision, though, and for now I'm just doing what I can. I've recently discovered soy-free Vegenaise and soy-free Earth Balance, which was very exciting for me

Quote:
If you want burgers you can make your own patties out of lentils, or bean patties. They are delicious. I saw a recipe for chickpea sausages online, I would like to try to make them. You can also make patties and sausages with seitan (though I have never tried it.)

I make chickpea burgers and black bean/brown rice burgers all the time They freeze well and are great on the grill. Never tried seitan, but I plan to soon. Do you have the link for the chickpea sausages recipe? That sounds divine.

I also made lentil and oat "meatballs" once! They were a little crumbly, but the flavor was really good.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page