What Do YOU Consider YOURSELF - veg*nwise...? - Page 3 - VeggieBoards
View Poll Results: Check which option your consider yourself - veg*nwise...
Vegan (eats no meat, eggs, dairy, honey, etc.) 0 0%
Ovo-Vegetarian (eats no meat, dairy) 0 0%
Lacto-Vegetarian (eats no meat, eggs) 0 0%
Ovo-Lacto Vegetarian (eats no meat) 1 100.00%
Shifting toward vegetarian (diet of 99% non-meat) 0 0%
Omnivore (eats meat, dairy, eggs etc.) 0 0%
Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#61 Old 03-03-2004, 03:02 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peebs View Post

It is often clarified with egg albumin or isinglass, and though it is not an intended ingredient there is probably a little bit in there. This is an example of what I mean by trace ingredients.

Mmm. You learn something new everyday! Funny thing is, I made wine with my grandfather every fall. I racked my brain trying to figure out *what* could possibly be animal derived. All I remember is a whole lotta grapes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 Old 03-03-2004, 03:16 PM
Veggie Regular

Mod Post

Yeast removed from poll, as requested by author.
#63 Old 03-03-2004, 05:53 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm vegan. I eat yeast and never considered it an animal... but it can live with the bacteria that live in my stomach for all I care.

I also don't 100% avoid honey, and "may contain traces of" doesn't bother me either... and once in a while I won't ask if the bread has milk or egg in it (but after my custard on flight and extremely fun time in airport bathrooms, I'm overly scared of actual milk/egg as ingredients and not traces...)..... Ah, I also use white sugar.. bad Kitten.

But. I consider myself vegan. no leather, wool, silk. no gelatin, etc etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#64 Old 03-03-2004, 06:12 PM

Vegan and a tofu lover!

I eat bread and I don't consider that UN-Vegan.

Shannon
#65 Old 03-03-2004, 06:15 PM
Beginner

I consider myself a transitioning vegan. I don't eat any egg or dairy products, even if they are added in (i.e. cookies) but then randomly I'll crave a quesadilla rrreeeaaalllyy badly, and I let myself give in sometimes because I am still cutting that stuff out. Eventually, no more slip-ups! umm... is white sugar vegan? ug, I eat waaayy too much of that. So if it isn't, then I'll have a reason to get rid of it! yay!
#66 Old 03-03-2004, 08:11 PM

I ticked vegan although I do eat honey. I am carefully sorting through all the other products - the clothing, the household/beauty products, the wine, all the "label-checked" vegan items and getting them out of my house. But I have a feeling I'm going to keep the honey. Idealogically, I understand not using honey, but ethically I actually don't have an issue with it. And it's incredibly good for you. Did you know that honey is the one food that never goes bad? [They found edible honey in Egyptian tombs] Anyway, I'm sure many people will disagree with me, and please give me your opinion on honey if you have it. Thus far, it's been the one "non-vegan" thing that I'm contemplating never excizing from my diet/lifestyle.
#67 Old 03-03-2004, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Apart from wine, my diet is vegan.

So, you do not like vegan wine? There is vegan wine available.
#68 Old 03-03-2004, 08:54 PM
Veggie Regular

Crustle, since you asked, honey isn't an ethical issue for me either. VeganOutreach suggests not making a big deal out of honey because it will make veganism look too extreme if we start arguing for insect rights. It can be your personal choice to avoid honey, but I don't see it as a requirement for going vegan. Then again Vegan Outreach also says not to make a big deal out of trace ingredients that you can't see, smell or taste, and there are many here who disagree with that as well. To each his own.
#69 Old 03-03-2004, 08:57 PM

Still doesn't change the fact that honey is just plain yucky!
#70 Old 03-03-2004, 09:17 PM
Veggie Regular

as Oatmeal would say, "WRONG".

Still doesn't change your opinion that honey is just plain yucky!
#71 Old 03-03-2004, 09:27 PM
Veggie Regular

I had a big thing for honey for a while, but now I only eat it if it is in my muffin break slice...just the thought of it makes me feel ill...I can't stand the flavour! But I have no ethical object to it, and I'm in favour of it health wise.
#72 Old 03-03-2004, 10:50 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpickell View Post

VeganOutreach suggests not making a big deal out of honey because it will make veganism look too extreme if we start arguing for insect rights.

For the record, avoiding honey doesn't require "insect rights".

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

#73 Old 03-03-2004, 10:56 PM
Veggie Regular

Why is everyone so paranoid about honey? I'm not afraid or ashamed to tell anyone I don't eat honey nor tell to tell them why.
#74 Old 03-03-2004, 11:01 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strix View Post

Why is everyone so paranoid about honey? I'm not afraid or ashamed to tell anyone I don't eat honey nor tell to tell them why.

That is wrong . Veganism should be about presenting as conservative views as possible. It's not so wise to tell about not using leather belts, either, since some people will think that's weird. Having vegan shoes is a bit extreme too, and it's better to borrow real leather shoes from others when going outside so that no one can investigate your shoes and discover how weird they are.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

#75 Old 03-03-2004, 11:05 PM
Veggie Regular

And show them as nice happy fluffy animals romping around in nicely tended "farms," eating and frolicking in the morning dew

Right?
#76 Old 03-03-2004, 11:33 PM
Veggie Regular

Exactly.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

#77 Old 03-03-2004, 11:59 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyandbunny View Post

Wine? Why is wine not vegan?

There are vegan wines, but sometimes animal products are used in the production of wine.

Always the late comer...
#78 Old 03-04-2004, 12:06 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm a lazy vegan. I try for eating vegan 90% of the time- I don't stress if there's a tiny amount of egg or dairy in something I don't eat often, and though I try to minimize my consumption of animal products as much as possible, if I get something from taco bell or something and there's sour cream on it, I won't flip out. I've only been vegan since January (more like last October if you don't mind a few week-long stints as an ovo-lacto again here and there), so I'm still figuring things out, but I don't find it all that hard.

What's the issue with yeast? Last I knew, it was a fungus, and just because it creates carbon dioxide does not mean I'm going to stop eating bread to save it's poor little fungi-life.
#79 Old 03-04-2004, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalafelsRule View Post

So, you do not like vegan wine? There is vegan wine available.

When I'm in the UK I try to drink vegan wine as it's easy to find it but here in France it's more complicated. Even vegetarian restaurants here don't offer vegetarian wine. It's likely that the very expensive wines are vegan as they tend to be self-clarified but I've had very few responses from chateaux I've asked. Champagne houses have been better. Most brands are vegan; Mumm isn't.
#80 Old 03-04-2004, 09:40 AM
Veggie Regular

Yeast is a fungus, according to dictionary.com (http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=yeast) - and fungus includes mushrooms, so if you don't eat yeast because it's "not vegan" you better not be eating mushrooms either.
#81 Old 03-04-2004, 09:45 AM
Veggie Regular

Vegan. But I do look in mirrors and eat yeast.
#82 Old 03-04-2004, 09:55 AM
Veggie Regular

poor SL1031, I think you're right, you aren't going to live it down.

Oh and I don't not eat yeast. hehehahahohohump.
#83 Old 03-04-2004, 12:18 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astarte View Post

What fruit doesn't have seeds? ...aside from those that have been engineered not to. Isn't fruit intended as food for the developing seeds, sort of like an egg yolk? That's what I've always thought

Stone fruits. You can eat the fruit without destroying the stone. But honestly I´m not sure how far the average jain is going, only the monks/nuns go as far as avoiding nearly everything and eventually ask to starve themselves to death in order not to harm any living being. Perhaps someone has read more than I and can contribute to this information.

If I'm not answering quickly enough - leave a note on Twitter for @Rheumatologe
#84 Old 03-04-2004, 10:14 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerouac View Post

Mod Post

Yeast removed from poll, as requested by author.

thank you thank you thank you thank you!!!!

oh yes, and, thank you!
#85 Old 03-05-2004, 12:41 AM

I have been a vegetarian for 18 years. I was a strict vegan for a most of those years, but now and then I do eat some foods that contain dairy products such as cheese, margarin and bread.
#86 Old 03-05-2004, 12:25 PM

i am ovo-lacto and don't really see myself going any further...

i don't eat just eggs on their own... dunno why just don't like idea, just weird psychological stuff i suppose, but do have milk and eggs in things... and obviously avoid things like gelatine...
#87 Old 09-05-2004, 11:36 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceflower View Post

I'll eat honey and traces of milk and dairy in ready made products. However, I am strict with vegetarianism, so I will not eat meat or anything with slaughterhouse byproducts like gelatin or rennent.

Same for me.
#88 Old 09-05-2004, 11:58 PM
Veggie Regular

Lacto-Ovo Vegetarian.

The only "obvious" eggs or dairy I buy is from Organic Valley (a free range, organic, humane-as-possible farm). I don't avoid eggs or dairy in trace amounts like in Gardenburgers, or while eating out.

I enjoy cheese and chocolate but if I eat too much dairy I get a stuffy nose.
#89 Old 09-06-2004, 02:48 AM
Veggie Regular

I checked lacto-ovo, but I rarely eat eggs. And I don't eat eggs by themselves, just in other things.

The lacto is mostly due to my love for lattés. As I've already mentioned somewhere else, soy and rice milk just taste wrong.
#90 Old 09-06-2004, 03:05 AM
Veggie Regular

vegan. Isn't everyone?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page