Weight and veg*nism - Page 3 - VeggieBoards
View Poll Results: What is your weight catagory?
I am underweight 0 0%
My weight is just right 0 0%
I am overweight 0 0%
I am obese 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#61 Old 03-10-2004, 09:12 AM
Veggie Regular

According to charts and such, I am supposedly underweight. But I'm also petite and small boned and would look weird if I weighed as much as I supposedly should. Currently I'm 5'5", 108 to 110 lbs and a size 2. I've been as little as 100 pounds around the age of 20, which I think was a little too underweight, and as much as 118 when on a serious weight training regimen. I like my weight as it is now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 Old 03-10-2004, 09:37 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegrrrl79 View Post

Actually your BMI is 16.1-16.9 That's pretty underweight, please be careful!

My BMI is like 19.6 I think.

It is???

Dang, I had no clue. Mhh...good thing I gained a few pounds lately.
#63 Old 03-10-2004, 09:40 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oatmeal View Post

Well she is petite... and those are just numbers anyway. She has the perfect body.

Thank you

You are not too shabby yourself
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#64 Old 03-11-2004, 10:04 PM

I'm about right i think i haven't worked out my BMI though, after having two babies only 1 year apart i am looking at toning up abit though
#65 Old 03-11-2004, 11:58 PM
Veggie Regular

I have no idea what I weigh, since I don't believe in keeping track of it. But I wear an "average" clothing size, and even though I wouldn't mind being skinnier, I know logically that I'm within normal range.
#66 Old 03-12-2004, 12:06 AM
Veggie Regular

In the note of being skinny, which I am (although I am not vegan), they did a study where a person/persons ate a limited diet (undereating) for many years. In the end, the person(s) was healthier than he should have been.

I've also heard some mention from some yoga people that some people that you shouldn't eat everyday, but every other day so your digestive system can rest.

I on the other hand eat constantly and everything in sight, I'm a serious over-eater in a 133lbs. 5' 10" frame (underweight by those charts). I can't gain weight, my body won't allow it. Over eating just means I'm more poor at the end of the day.

Edit:

Oh... I weight the same I did in high school 15 years ago!

Single vegetarian for 19 years seeks tasty vegetables to devour. Reply only if interested in being consumed whole.
#67 Old 03-12-2004, 12:53 AM
Veggie Regular

I fit the vegetarian stereotype perfectly and it's kind of a piss off cuz then people can point at me and be like, "oh look at that girl, she's pale and skinny because she's vegetarian!" grrrr. For the first 14 years of my life i ate meat and was skinny so it's not like I can help it. Anyways, I think I have a perfect body weight.

I've been doing strenght training lately, mostly just for myself but also so I can prove to people that vegetarians aren't "weaklings." My arms are getting to look nice and buff, hehe

It's not in what you say, it's in what you do (Oasis)

Feeling bored? Why don't you wander over to my blog sometime. http://thebohemiankitchen.wordpress.com
#68 Old 03-12-2004, 10:16 AM

I'm underweight, but I have always been underweight. It's just how my body is. My BMI was a little over 17.
#69 Old 03-12-2004, 11:41 AM
Veggie Regular

I voted for 'just right'.

I'm 5'4", about 123 lbs, and my BMI is 21. I have a small frame, so technically I should weigh less (according to the charts), but I feel comfortable at this weight.

I actually gained weight when I went vegan, though I attribute that to my being overexcited by all the new foods I was discovering Then I read 'Becoming Vegan' and started eating healthily and slowly lost the extra stone I was carrying, over a few months.

I've actually gained a few pounds in the few weeks I've been hamstering, but I feel slimmer and look slimmer (and feel far healthier), so all I can assume is that it's increased muscle mass that's weighing more!
#70 Old 03-13-2004, 12:52 PM
Beginner

I chose "just right". I'm about 5'3" and 115 pounds, not sure about my BMI, though. I think I was underweight before, but I gained about 10 pounds this year, though not in muscle, so I actually do need to get in shape.
#71 Old 03-13-2004, 01:02 PM

im obese by our societys standards. im 5'8" 213 lbs. my bone structure is big and im extremely muscular. since going vegan almost a year ago after being vegetarian for 15 years i have been able to maintain my weight. i have metabolism and sugar problems as well as hormone problems and because of these things i was gaining up to 10lbs a year. yaaay veganism!
#72 Old 03-13-2004, 10:14 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starblossom View Post

I've been doing strenght training lately, mostly just for myself but also so I can prove to people that vegetarians aren't "weaklings." My arms are getting to look nice and buff, hehe

Just point anyone that doubts to this link: Vegetarian Athletes

There are guys that look like Arnold Schwartenegger (sp?) did that are vegetarian. Bill Pearl is a 4 time Mr. Universe and vegetarian.

Single vegetarian for 19 years seeks tasty vegetables to devour. Reply only if interested in being consumed whole.
#73 Old 04-02-2004, 01:19 PM
Veggie Regular

I just wanted to chime in as an overweight vegan. I used to be really heavy; about 52 pounds more than I am today. But a balanced vegan diet that includes many raw foods, along with running 5 miles three times a week, has done wonders for me.

Even when I'm busy, and can't run as much, I can still lose about 2-3 pounds per week. The only bump I had along the way was a period of about nine months, during which my girlfriend of the time and I lived together. She was sendentary, and didn't ever want to go to the gym, so I sort of matched her lifestyle. She was maybe only 10 pounds overweight, and very pretty, but she wanted to lose weight too. I didn't gain weight, for the most part, but I stayed steady for too long.

Last week we went out for dinner for her birthday. The first thing we said when we saw eachother was how much weight we both lost. It's really noticable on her because she's just over five feet tall. Sort of ironic that now that we seperated, we are leading more healthy lifestyles. I have lost about 15 pounds since we stopped dating, so that's one way in which it was for the best.

Peace and pieces,

Dr. Schmeeb'
#74 Old 04-02-2004, 03:34 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm 5'5" 118 pounds, heh, theres not a ounce of fat on me...besides my butt I have huge leg muscles from soccer and running, I'm small framed and...well small. lol
#75 Old 04-04-2004, 09:49 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineDreamer View Post

I'm 5'2" and I weigh about 94 or 95 lbs... I voted just right, but I'm not sure. Is that a little underweight or is it ok?

Same here, 5'2", and around 96 lbs. I voted just right too, although my doctor did tell me last time i saw her that i was borderline.
#76 Old 04-04-2004, 10:45 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm 5' 6" and weigh 130 pounds with a BMI of 22. According to the charts I'm just right but I would still like to lose 5 more pounds. It's intersting but I have lost weight since becoming a vegetarian. I had been a vegetarian for about 6 months when I started going to the Gym 4 days a week. I have gone from 166 pounds with a BMI of 31 to the weight I am now. I think both being a vegetarian and working out has contributed to my weight loss. I feel better then I have ever felt in my life and I cannot imagine ever going back to being an Omni.
#77 Old 04-04-2004, 11:50 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm 5'7" and weigh 125lbs- that's a BMI of 19.6. This means that I'm 'normal' and of average weight. I think I'm rather flabby and would be interested in losing about 10lbs and firming up. I desperately need to start going to the gym!
#78 Old 04-04-2004, 11:57 AM

I'm 5'7 and weigh 130 pounds. That's a bmi of 20.4 and I think I am normal weight.
#79 Old 04-04-2004, 01:13 PM
Banned

i'm almost 15 and i am about 92-94 Lbs.
#80 Old 04-04-2004, 01:14 PM
Banned

and i'm about 5'4"
#81 Old 04-04-2004, 02:12 PM
Veggie Regular

not completely veg*n

but...

5'10.5"

not much fat - maybe 5 pounds of winter weight stored which will disolve in a few weeks (once it stops raining!).

This is why the BMI approach doesn't work.

According to the formula, I have a BMI of 28.0 which is significantly overweight bordering on obese (30.0). If you saw me in person you would know this is the farthest thing from the truth. Most of the weight I store is muscle from biking. I would have to drop 20 pounds to be considered "normal". 175 pounds would not be very healthy for me.
#82 Old 04-04-2004, 03:40 PM
Veggie Regular

My weight has fluxuated wildly my whole life... Once I moved in with my boyfriend and we both didn't know how to cook, atel ots of junk food and quit smoking, we both gained a ton of weight. I gained about 40 pounds in a little over a year. That was 3 years ago. I lost about 15 pounds last year, and about 5 more since I went veg about 3 weeks ago! Yea veg*ism!!!

I still need to lose about 10 pounds I'm 5' 3' and weight 140. 130 is a good weight for me because I am a tumbler and have a ton of muscle. My BMI is about 26 or 27 right now, but I really don't think that scale is accurate since it doesn't take muscle into account.

By the way- my boyfriend lost a ton of weight too, and is down to his old range- but he did it by starting to smoke again. I'm doin' it the hard (but healthier way)

http://bringingyouohm.wordpress.com/

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavanto

'May everyone everywhere be happy
May the whole world be joyous'
#83 Old 04-04-2004, 06:39 PM
Veggie Regular

I have read that the BMI isn't very accurate for tall people because the height is squared in the formula so it's too high for tall people and too low for short people. And then there's also that muscle weighs much more than fat. And that everyone's body type is different. Lots of stuff besides just numbers.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page