Weight and veg*nism - Page 2 - VeggieBoards
View Poll Results: What is your weight catagory?
I am underweight 0 0%
My weight is just right 0 0%
I am overweight 0 0%
I am obese 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#31 Old 03-03-2004, 05:07 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astarte View Post

Methinks that's a little underweight. Your BMI is around 17.4, and supposedly you're supposed to be at least 18-20. I wouldn't worry about it though

You could also just have a fast metabolism... Is 95 pounds a weight that you find yourself at naturally? Do you have to work to keep your it that low?

You're probably okay if you aren't intentionally keeping your weight lower thannormal. But if I were you, I'd try to eat more nuts and other calorie/nutrient dense foods.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 Old 03-03-2004, 05:11 PM
Veggie Regular

Yeah, I'm 95 lbs naturally, I don't work out at all & eat way too much junk food!
#33 Old 03-03-2004, 05:39 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbivore View Post

Veg*n's have the stereotype of being skinny and underweight. I know this not to be true for all veg*ns or even most of us. But I'd like to know what catagory the VBers here fall into. Be honest! And if anyone has a link to a study done about this, I'd appreciate it if you'd post it, TIA!

I am a vegan and my weight is to high according to the BMI.

I am too fat. I don't know why, but I have always had a little overweight.

My bmi is 31
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#34 Old 03-03-2004, 06:22 PM
Veggie Regular

I clicked "just right". I'm very close to the border of what is normal and 'moderately overweight' on the BMI scale, but I think that's bunk. I think I could gain 10 lbs and still be plenty heart healthy. I have a large frame though. A friend of mine is about the same height, but she definitely has a small frame. She used to be a little bit underweight, but a year ago she gained about 20 pounds to fill out an American size 4. If she weighed as much as I do, I'd say she was overweight, but if I weighed as much as she used to, I'd be dead.

Oh yeah- she's been a vegetarian for about 8 years, I've been one for about 4 months.
#35 Old 03-03-2004, 06:30 PM
Veggie Regular

Clicked "just right."I'm 5' 8", and 115 lbs. BMI is 17.5 right now, but I'm currently working on building more muscle mass, so that should also help. I don't think I fit the stereotypical image of a scrawny vegan.
#36 Old 03-03-2004, 07:50 PM
Veggie Regular

I clicked "just right," but, according to whomever determines this stuff, I'm technically a bit underweight
#37 Old 03-03-2004, 09:56 PM
Veggie Regular

Like Sunshine dreamer, I tend to stay naturally thin. I'm a recovering(ish) anorexic too, but even while I was at the hospital, I had to eat a TON to gain any weight. I'm at my weight before I was anorexic at the moment.
#38 Old 03-03-2004, 10:20 PM

My BMI is 22! I want to lose a few more pounds though. It's crazy I've lost 12lb since just over a year ago. But I don't think I look any different.. And I was the same height.. (5'6.. Well almost that:P)
#39 Old 03-04-2004, 08:35 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyandbunny View Post

Slightly overweight, I could stand to lose about 15-20 lbs. Yeah, I don't "look" like a vegetarian.

Same here.

I put on weight when I went veggie many moons ago, and have put on a bit more since I've been trying to cut out dairy. Doesn't that sound a bit backwards?

I just like my food (and drink) too much
#40 Old 03-04-2004, 10:41 AM
Veggie Regular

I was just the right weight as a vegan for the first 20 years, but now I'm too heavy. But I don't think it's to do with being vegan, just with eating too much.
#41 Old 03-04-2004, 11:34 AM

I tend naturally towards underweight, although I did lose a few pounds when I went veg, it wasn't more than three or four. At about 5'10, though, and 125 I am definatly underweight. If I weren't a sedentary food disposal, I'd drop another 5 or ten. I'm willing to trade for a slower metabolism.

j.
#42 Old 03-05-2004, 12:46 PM

i put i'm just right and am fairly happy with my weight.

i have a bmi of about 19....

i don't think it's true that all veggies are unhealthily skinny... but it's just a fact that alot of veggies change their diet and it becomes alot healthier... we do have a section of junk food cut out of our diet after all

personally since being a vegetarian have gone from being fairly overweight to being a good weight, so am very happy
#43 Old 03-05-2004, 01:13 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm 5'10" and currently weigh 162 lbs., which is in the normal range for my fairly large frame. I put overwieght though, because my ideal weight is in the 140-145 range. Before I became a veg*n in March 2003, however, I topped out at 198. I lost the first 20 pounds fairly easily, then stopped losing for a long time. Since I stopped eating out in restaurants 5 or 6 times a week, I've started losing pretty steadily again without much real effort, and I'm pretty pleased with my overall rate of weight loss, which is three pounds a month, a good formula for keeping it off. FWIW, I started out as a strict vegetarian, which for me meant no obvious dairy or eggs, but without getting freaked out about trace dairy or eggs. As I learned more about hidden ingredients, I've transitioned to Veganism. I also stopped eating most processed carbs, I eat bread in general very rarely and reduced my coffee consumption by about 80%.

The only time in the past eight years that I have been thinner than I am now was when I returned from a year in Puerto Rico at 135 lbs., which my husband categorized as "gross." I was super, super active down there, swimming, snorkeling, SCUBA diving or kayaking just about every day, and I was also mostly vegetarian the whole time I was there (couldn't afford much meat), and there was no fast food on the island on which I was living. Also, restaurant portions in Puerto Rico were mostly smaller than in the United States, the milk is UHT and nasty, and the coffee is gross.
#44 Old 03-05-2004, 01:42 PM

As I mentioned here I am very overweight (ok, obese) and am on weight watchers. While I have been a vegetarian for a long time, it has not meant me being thin AT ALL. Part of my reason for becoming vegan is for animal rights but another part has to do with concerns about my health. I think with my family history and my current weight the odds are stacked against me and I am a lot better off being 100% free of animal products in my diet.
#45 Old 03-05-2004, 06:00 PM
Veggie Regular

I put just right. I'm 5'4" and weigh about 125 pounds.

I don't *need* to lose any weight but hugely better physical fitness would be nice.
#46 Old 03-05-2004, 07:47 PM
Veggie Regular

As a vegetarian and then vegan my weight has always stayed in the same range... Im a male, 6 foot 4 inches tall and at the beginning of the year I weighed 197lbs.... I decided that I could be a bit slimmer, not that anyone before new that i had a bit of fat around my middle (cause Im tall... it wasnt obvious that I had some fat) I decided to go on a "diet".... very little bread (one or two slices a week) no fatty foods, no junk, and since Im a vegan... no diary. After 2 months.... I am happily at 179lbs!!!
#47 Old 03-06-2004, 04:10 PM
Beginner

I clicked just right. I'm one of those people who stays the same size regardless of what I eat, how I exercise. Naturally quite a bit of muscle, little fat. I have more muscle than I did before I started running and eating healthy but I wear the same size clothing and overall look about the same. I do not own a scale, I think they misrepresent your body, so I cannot do the bmi thing. I feel healthy, that's what's important.
#48 Old 03-07-2004, 02:34 AM

5'4 ,116 lbs.I have a small bone frame.I have scrawny limbs but all my weight is in my abdomen. :/ Besides that,I clicked 'just right'.
#49 Old 03-07-2004, 02:58 AM
Veggie Regular

I've been working on losing weight for just about a year now (started during lent 2003). 90 lbs. down with more to go. My steady Eddy jokes that by the end of summer, I will be half the woman I used to be.

I think non-veg*ns often don't stop to consider that Pringles, CocaCola, onion rings, and innumerable varieties of chocolate, are all vegan.

It is interesting to note though, that even with all the extra poundage I carried for awhile, I had avg. cholesterol levels and no hypertension/high blood pressure. (tells ya something about animal products, eh?)

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#50 Old 03-07-2004, 03:13 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm like the opposite of normal, when I went from meat-eater to vegetarian I gained weight and then when I went from vegetarian to vegan I gained even more! Probably cause I enjoy food so much more now plus I eat more junk food that I use to!
#51 Old 03-07-2004, 03:24 AM
Veggie Regular

i voted a bit underweight, 140 lbs 6 foot tall...having a tough time getting my weight back up and not just beginning to look fat instead of gaining some muscle back..working on it
#52 Old 03-08-2004, 01:28 AM
Beginner

i said under because i 'should' weigh over a hundred for a woman my age but i weigh 95 (5' tall ) and it looks good on my frame so i'm relatively happy, my only grumble is trying to find jeans that fit right
#53 Old 03-09-2004, 12:24 AM
Veggie Regular

I think my BMI is about 18. I'm 5'3" (160 cm) and I've just put on a few kilos lately, so I'm about 45-46 kg which is roughly 100lb.
#54 Old 03-09-2004, 12:40 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunnyfish79 View Post

Oh, maybe I should have just listed my BMI, I have no clue what it is...lol...probably 17 or 18 something. Hmmm

Actually your BMI is 16.1-16.9 That's pretty underweight, please be careful!

My BMI is like 19.6 I think.
#55 Old 03-09-2004, 11:49 PM

This is interesting...according to the BMI I'm underweight (5'10", 117-119lb) but I certainly don't LOOK emaciated. I eat enough and have considerably more energy than I did as a non-vegan. So, I don't really know what to believe...
#56 Old 03-10-2004, 01:11 AM
Veggie Regular

Governmental standards for BMI and so forth are based on the general population, which - surprise! - generally eats more meat than most of our members. If we fall well below the BMI, that is not surprising to me in the least.
#57 Old 03-10-2004, 01:29 AM
Veggie Regular

fatty fat fat
#58 Old 03-10-2004, 03:14 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegrrrl79 View Post

Actually your BMI is 16.1-16.9 That's pretty underweight, please be careful!

Well she is petite... and those are just numbers anyway. She has the perfect body.
#59 Old 03-10-2004, 08:38 AM

I'm still classified as "overweight" but that doesn't have anything to do with eating veg*n. In the last two years of being vegetarian, i've dropped close to 70 lbs, so overall I'm doing a lot better.
#60 Old 03-10-2004, 09:03 AM

Like most 18 year olds I would like to drop about 10lbs or so. But I'm rather comfortable in my skin, so I don't obsess too much. I'm healthy, and rather happy, so I'm not really worried about my weight.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page