Have you ever known a vegetarian to suddenly go the other way? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-25-2011, 09:46 AM

People such as myself are always becoming vegetarians, but I wonder if there's ever been a die-hard vegetarian that for whatever reason quit the lifestyle altogether and now eats meat. I don't mean a casual vegetarian giving up, I mean a life long vegetarians suddenly going off the deep end. It would be an odd and dissapointing circumstance, but somewhere in this crazy world of ours it had to have happened.
Anybody know of such a person?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-25-2011, 09:52 AM
Banned

Yes.
My SIL was veggie, then went meat after she had her children.
Not sure why, but it was a slow process, first some fish, then some chicken, then running through the fields after the cows with a fork and knife in one hand and a bic lighter in the other.

Ive actually known a few that jumped the fence, I think a large part of it is how hard it can be to eat when traveling. I pull a 36ft travel trailer when I go places, I pull into rest stops for lunch and have the advantage of eating what I bring and prepare and not being dependent on what I can find to eat in places Ive never been.
#3 Old 06-25-2011, 09:53 AM
Herbivorous Urchin

Part of me wonders if he's another DHC person....

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 06-25-2011, 10:17 AM

What's a DHC person? It doesn't sound too good.
#5 Old 06-25-2011, 10:22 AM
Herbivorous Urchin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harryc View Post

What's a DHC person? It doesn't sound too good.

Nothing, I take it back, you joined well before them

And, I haven't know anything with great conviction in their diet to change on a whim :_

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
#6 Old 06-25-2011, 10:35 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by River View Post

Nothing, I take it back, you joined well before them

And, I haven't know anything with great conviction in their diet to change on a whim :_

That was my first thought, too.

As for the original question: I've met several people that 'used to be' vegetarians, but I've never met anyone who was vegetarian when I met them but started eating meat.

Who needs sleep when we've got love?
Who needs keys when we've got clubs?
Who needs please when we've got guns?
Who needs peace when we've gone above?
#7 Old 06-25-2011, 10:48 AM
Super Moderator

I've seen Veg*n bloggers do it. It's always dramatic and they come up with 100 lame reasons why they did it.

I know someone who used to post here who went back to eating meat, it was sad because she unfriended all of her veg*n friends on Facebook. It seemed sudden too, she posted a status that she was going to McDonald's for a Big Mac.
#8 Old 06-25-2011, 12:01 PM
Veggie Regular

I really don't understand how they can do it. I can understand falling of the vegan wagon, but going back to eating meat? Bleh..
#9 Old 06-25-2011, 12:06 PM
Veggie Regular

I've never known anyone to do it, but it probably happens more often than people staying veg*n life long. There is an awful lot of pressure on us to eat meat and animal products, and it certainly would be more convenient. It takes a very admirable commitment to stick with what you believe in, in any part of your life.
#10 Old 06-25-2011, 12:24 PM
Veggie Regular

I know two
I tried to convince one of them to go back, but it didn't work

DON'T BRING MY MOTHER INTO THIS!
#11 Old 06-25-2011, 12:31 PM
Banned

deleted

#12 Old 06-25-2011, 04:17 PM
Veggie Regular

I know 2 people who used to be veg*n but went back to eating meat. Neither were life-long (or even long-term) veg*ns so I guess it's not a huge surprise. I don't know the circumstances about either situation. I was talking to someone on-line who said she'd been vegetarian for "years" and had a slip-up and said "to hell with it" and went back to full-blown omni. Why one slip-up would do that to someone I do not know. I know if I slipped up and ate a cheeseburger from mc'donald's I'd probably feel horrible and vow never to do it again. Not just start eating them all the time. There's no logic in that.
#13 Old 06-25-2011, 04:29 PM
Veggie Regular

I know someone who used to be vegan, but after 3.5 years she started getting sick and then decided to eat fish.

I always wonder about people who say they "love" animals, but continue to eat meat. If that's your idea of love, I question what sort of twisted world view you must have.

#14 Old 06-27-2011, 10:47 AM

I know a girl who was vegetarian for two years when she was like 12-14. She claims she became anemic and went back?
#15 Old 06-27-2011, 01:57 PM
Veggie Regular

I know a guy who was vegan for years, and even an AR activist, who went back to being an omni. I think he still eats mostly meat-free at home, but at restaurants, he started eating meat all the time. He freely admits that he still agrees with vegan ideals, but he's too weak willed an individual to live up to those ideals when surrounded by the peer pressure of an omni world.

--Fromper
#16 Old 06-27-2011, 02:18 PM
Veggie Regular

I've had this happen with several ideological stances...like I knew this girl who was really hardcore against drugs, and very vocal about it, now every other facebook status I see from her is how blazed she is. After literally years of the exact opposite. I've seen the same with meat eating and stuff. It's like when people sell out they don't just sell out but they sell out with the intent to rub it in.

Tam! RUGH!
#17 Old 06-27-2011, 03:39 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shauna_m View Post

I know 2 people who used to be veg*n but went back to eating meat. Neither were life-long (or even long-term) veg*ns so I guess it's not a huge surprise. I don't know the circumstances about either situation. I was talking to someone on-line who said she'd been vegetarian for "years" and had a slip-up and said "to hell with it" and went back to full-blown omni. Why one slip-up would do that to someone I do not know. I know if I slipped up and ate a cheeseburger from mc'donald's I'd probably feel horrible and vow never to do it again. Not just start eating them all the time. There's no logic in that.

Two of my co-workers are ex-vegans. They are married to each other, had been vegan for years, then one year they were with family for the holidays. Everyone kept serving them meat and pies, so they both decided to eat it anyway. When they came back from holiday, they just kept eating meat.

I can kind of understand it. That's exactly how I always stop exercising. For months and months, I'll work out every week. I like strength training and cardio. Then, if I either get sick or get busy and I skip a week, then I just can't get back to working out. I haven't worked out in years all because I skipped a week.

Give thanks to Mother Earth for Her greatest gift...

...gravity.

For without it, we would be lost.
#18 Old 06-28-2011, 08:23 PM

My aunt used to be vegetarian... Then one day she went to the grocery store, and "randomly bought a steak, brought it home, cooked it, and ate it. I guess my body was trying to tell me something!"

So now she isn't. *Sigh*

At least she still doesn't eat pigs and octopodes, 'because they are too smart'. Cows and birds are apparently fair game though. It's weird.
#19 Old 06-28-2011, 08:54 PM
mlp
Banned

Yes. There are quite a few ex VB members who are no longer veg*n. Irl, I've met people who started eating meat again after 15 or 20 years because it was "too hard."
#20 Old 06-28-2011, 09:02 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlp View Post

Yes. There are quite a few ex VB members who are no longer veg*n. Irl, I've met people who started eating meat again after 15 or 20 years because it was "too hard."

How odd, I find not doing things pretty effortless. Seems like it would be way more effort to go to all the trouble of eating meat again

I think some people are more susceptible to social pressure than others.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#21 Old 06-28-2011, 09:30 PM
Veggie Regular

one of my closest friends Zachary he was raised vegan from birth......his parents and sister all vegans....his life-partner is vegan and they have raised their daughter vegan from birth.....well one day outta the blue he was out with co-workers and ate meat and a little dairy cheese I believe..... he was curious about what it tasted like or whatever....and he has been eating it on and off ever since....he says he may go veg but he is never gonna go back to being a vegan.

Peace

LOud & PRoud Veggie-Tari-Jenn~~(KNOT)~~ Vegan and NEVER Will Be.
Be Cents-able...Use Coupons!!~~PEace, LOVe & Beautiful COLORFUL RAinbows!!
#22 Old 06-29-2011, 07:59 AM
Veggie Regular

Yes, I've known many ex-vegetarians.

slops, gloops, and gruels.
#23 Old 06-29-2011, 09:57 AM
Veggie Regular

I have known a few people that tried vegetarianism and went back to eating meat. One of them told me she had to start eating meat because she kept catching colds.

Most of the other vegetarians I have known weren't actually real veggies because they ate fish for protein.
#24 Old 06-29-2011, 10:05 AM
Beginner

Yes. I ran into a friend at the store and my daughter mentioned that I'm now a veggie. She told me she was too for 10 years and started started eating meat again while pregnant and never went back to being veg*an.

I was taliking to another friend last weekend and she told me she is now eating some chicken and salmon.

I can't imagine going back to eating meat because the thought of it makes me sick. That being said, I find it does still smell good, but not even that tempts me to put it in my mouth. blech...
#25 Old 06-29-2011, 10:13 AM

I think pregnancy is a common cause. I know someone who was vegetarian for over 10 years but craved steak while she was pregnant and then continued to eat meat from there.

I will admit to having a ham sandwich (one) when I was pregnant. I was about 3 weeks into all day morning sickness and it was the only thing that sounded good to me. I know - it sounds crazy to me too! But I ate it and I won't appologize because up til then the only thing I could keep down was popsicles. After that I went back to vegetarian and was never tempted again.

Like I said, I don't understand it and it makes no sense to me but I did it. Maybe it's another side affect of the crazy hormones!
#26 Old 06-29-2011, 10:19 AM
Veggie Regular

^ I can imagine pregnancy would be a reason why some women go back to eating meat.
#27 Old 06-29-2011, 10:27 AM

I knew someone who was veg*n, but then he kept getting sick so his doctor recommended him to get more protein from animal products. I don't know if he ever went back to being veg*n.

~*Elizabeth*~
"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself." ~ George Bernard Shaw
"And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom." ~ Anais Nin
#28 Old 06-29-2011, 07:40 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixie View Post

I have known a few people that tried vegetarianism and went back to eating meat. One of them told me she had to start eating meat because she kept catching colds.

Most of the other vegetarians I have known weren't actually real veggies because they ate fish for protein.

It's always hilarious when people claim they got sick as a 'vegetarian' because they weren't getting enough protein or iron or whatever, and then you ask them what they've been eating and it was mostly fish, dairy and eggs. And they only did it for 2 weeks.

A lot of it is psychological, if you keep telling yourself that you aren't getting enough nutrition and you feel like crap you're going to feel like crap no matter what you're eating.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#29 Old 06-29-2011, 08:54 PM
Veggie Regular

My cousin was a vegetarian before I was, but a few years ago she quit.

I don't understand why she went back. I just heard one day "(Insert name) had a steak last night!" and now she's an omni. It was a little dissapointing. She's always been one of my older cousins that I've admired and looked to as a role model. Plus, it was kind of nice to not be the only vegetarian in the family.

Alas, such is life.
#30 Old 06-29-2011, 09:56 PM
Veggie Regular

I will just say this: they are not a lost cause, necessarily, if they do go back. I tried being vegetarian for a while when I was younger but it didn't last long. The small one horse town I was in was really hard to be vegetarian in. I mean, it seemed everything the grocery stores sold around there had meat in it. And I had nobody guiding me, no recipes to follow.

And then years later after reading an article about factory farming it turned me completely around.

Once in a while I want to eat eggs (gave them up completely.) The war for me on that is I really don't consider eating eggs wrong (vegans, be quiet...I am still not eating them.) But the process they go through to get them from the chickens to our table is completely wrong. When I was a kid my mom bought eggs from a farm up the road and their chickens were not treated with hormones or forced to stay in small cages. If I could find some eggs like that around here I'd whip up an omlette in a minute.

But going back to eating meat? No, seriously, never. There's nothing I miss about eating meat that bad to go back to it. I could no more bite into meat again than I could cut up my own dog and eat him.

"I used to hate dogs 'til I saw one kill a kid." W.C. Fields

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page