My Engine 2 Diet Experience - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By Taven7755
  • 2 Post By Robmeister

#1 Old 06-24-2011, 07:19 PM

Hello all, I am writing this in the vegetarian forum because I am still technically not a vegan yet, but I would love to hear contributions from all.

First of all, let me say that I have enormous praise for the diet and the book. I work in a place with 3 other men that are like family to one another. We all must travel to the same places, have the same meals, same hours, etc. Recently, the man that largely got me my job here had his first physical in 5 years. In short, the doctor almost fell out of his chair. His cholesterol was 315, and he was very overweight. He was immediately placed on 4 medications, which were expensive and not fun to take. This was in early March.

He lives perhaps 3 blocks from me, and I was very concerned for him. He is only 42, has a young family that relies on him, etc. I got the book from the (one) vegan I know in town, and asked him something simple: Try it 3 days a week and see what happens. A similar experiment was tried by the author, and I felt it would be a good start. I helped him with the initial switch.

I guess I am writing this, in part, for the unique angle the book has at getting a man's attention. For starters, the author is not a pipe-cleaner armed young California kid. He is a former professional triathlete, and a firefighter in Austin. (We live in Midland) Sometimes the messenger is more potent that the message. Well, my friend has since lost 65 lbs, and his cholesterol last visit was 185. His wife does not recognize him anymore. I am writing to recommend it to anyone that has a macho man that they can't get through to....

With the book review over, I myself have recently tried to go full vegan....and my GI system is not liking it one bit. I was huge on dairy before, having it with most meals, and kicking it has been the only hard part. In short, my GasX has been in wide use, and I feel like I eat constantly. I guess I am asking for any help on the transition, and possibly some secret foods that one is in love with...I ate cabbage soup for dinner tonight. Yes, it's like that. I am having a very hard time finding some of the ingredients I want to make the switch. The produce section here has about a dozen items. As far as I can tell, there is no rhubarb within 200 miles of Midland.

Also, for those that know the landscape better than I, I will be moving to San Jose, California in two weeks, likely for the next year. A friend of mine (my sole Vegan help) is from LA, and tells me it is a totally different story out there as far as getting the vegetables and such you want. Is this true? Why would what seems like a pretty small community out in CA have more to offer than here? Texas has tomato and strawberry farms wall to wall....any insight would be great. Thank you.
Purp likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-25-2015, 07:59 PM

Engine 2 Diet

I realize the above post is more than 4 years old. But I'd like to see if anyone is part of this discussion. I just finished reading The Engine 2 Diet and My Beef With Meat. I'm a type 2 Diabetic who has been vegan before and was able to get completely off Crestor for cholesterol. Anyway, I won't write much in case no one is part of this....but I'm fully convinced that Rib Esselstyn's Engine 2 lifestyle (don't care for the word "diet") is the way to go and have finished my first day.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page