Problem? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-22-2011, 10:39 AM
Banned

Hi. I posted this in a smaller forum. Thought I might get some more feedback in here.

I've never participated much in internet discussions on my dietary choices because I feel it is an intensely private matter. However, I don't have many places to turn for advice as few I know are vegans or vegetarians (I live in Pennsylvania, hunting capital of the northeast), so I decided to look online.

When my male partner and I joined together after college, he was a vegetarian as was I. Recently, I moved toward veganism, which he was fine with, and I was comfortable with the situation as well. We have consistently been raising our male offspring to make vegetarian choices in food selection. He is now 12 and, until recently, had only eaten organic vegetarian food for his whole life.

For the past year or so, my male partner has been less enthusiastic about the meal choices at home. His appetite seemed to have diminished and he was less interested in the food I had cooked. This itself didn't strike me as terribly odd as I am a creature of habit who tends to enjoy eating a monotanous menu. Taking the implied cue, I switched up the menu and started offering a more diverse selection. He was still disinterested, which indicated to me there was another problem.

Recently, both he and our male offspring began going out on the weekends. I tend to enjoy staying around the house and tending my garden, so I never think it odd for them to go out together. Usually he will go to the store on weekends for groceries and such, especially considering the work I put in with the garden. The haul isn't too much for him to handle alone, as I grow much of our food (I am also into canning!) To my extreme disappointment, I've learned some horrifying developments with my two males.

Recently, I was using our digital camera to record the visible growth of my tomatos for fun. When reviewing the photographs, I discovered some horrifying developments. Our camera contained photos of out offspring holding a helpless fish, as if it were a trophy. I felt and still feel nauseus.

I am familiar with this practice (My father was a fisherman. His "sport" is part of why I began to turn away from an omnivorous diet as I couldn't imagine requiring an animal to endure being decapitated or otherwise slaughtered for my own benefit.) and it is consistent with what I saw growing up. I suspect the photographer of this heinous act was my partner.

I feel betrayed.

My partner has not only murdered or otherwise tortured a member of Earth's aquatic community, but he has introduced my offspring to the same behavior. I had been hoping to raise my offspring to refrain from such choices, but it seems that has now been destroyed.

Simply put, what options do I have? What can I do? Do I need to say something or should I remain quiet. I know my partner will be angry, but I feel it is my responsibility to stop him.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-22-2011, 10:53 AM
Veggie Regular

9 responses in 3 hours is not bad.
https://www.veggieboards.com/newvb/sh...-Problem/page2

Give thanks to Mother Earth for Her greatest gift...

...gravity.

For without it, we would be lost.
#3 Old 06-22-2011, 11:01 AM
Banned

I just noticed that forums give an estimate of how many people are looking at them. It seemed this one had more views. Didn't mean to offend!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 06-22-2011, 11:55 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by veganwife72 View Post

I just noticed that forums give an estimate of how many people are looking at them. It seemed this one had more views. Didn't mean to offend!

Oh...
I wasn't offended.
Its just that having two thread by the same title can be confusing, especially when people start debating with each other.
Plus, one may become deleted by a mod.
Sometimes, a thread can go a day or two with no responses before it picks up.

A lot of users don't browse by forum... but rather just click the "New Posts" link. Personally, I only browse by forum if I'm looking for a thread that I know already exists.

Give thanks to Mother Earth for Her greatest gift...

...gravity.

For without it, we would be lost.
#5 Old 06-22-2011, 12:57 PM
Veggie Regular

Hazelnut is correct. Please only post threads once. If you want to have a thread moved, you can ask a mod to do it for you, but "Relationships and Family" is the appropriate home for your thread.

This duplicate thread has been closed.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page