"I'll go veg when my meat expires" - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 02-28-2004, 08:52 PM
Veggie Regular

I was talking to my friend the other day, and he said something quite amusing.

I mentioned that I was vegetarian and he told me that he wanted to go vegetarian, too... on March 31st. I asked him why the specific date, and he told me that he had a lot of meat in his freezer that expires that day.

First I laughed, but then I began to get a little mad. It totally trivializes vegetarianism to stop eating meat only when convienent.

Anyone else with experiences like this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-28-2004, 09:12 PM
Veggie Regular

well, the meat is already in the freezer, and it's not a good idea to put it to waste.
#3 Old 02-28-2004, 09:26 PM
Veggie Regular

Yeah, it would be stupid to throw it away. Of course I would just give it to someone or whatever. I mean it's not like he's buying meat when he doesn't have time to look for veggie stuff, he's just using what he has, there's nothing wrong with that. It's like how most people don't get rid of their leather stuff after they go veg*n.

Check out my webcomic! www.GrammarComic.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 02-28-2004, 09:29 PM

The poor creature was killed without purpose otherwise.

Killed, and left to nothing is the worst.

Killed, and fed so that another may live (regardless of what type of creature you are. . .dog, lion, human. . .)is still sad, but much better. . .

They might as well bring nourishment to another creature (a human being, in this case?), rather than. . .do nothing, you see?

He might be looking to get rid of the meat. . . Consuming it(considering flesh is edible for human beings) is one way of getting rid of it. =P
#5 Old 02-28-2004, 09:29 PM

i threw out my leather stuff when i went vegan. but it wasnt too much anyway. a pair of boots and a "choker"i got when i went to Rocky Horror Picture Show. I didnt have to much trouble. My boyfriend did though, he was a complete punk, Dr. Martens, Leather Pants, yeah. Ben Oui.
#6 Old 02-28-2004, 09:46 PM
Veggie Regular

Wasting things is stupid.

A opened box of Kellogg Mini-Wheats (gelatin) has been in my cupboard for a year now. No one else is going to eat them, so I'm eating them before they expire. The same amount of animals die either way.
#7 Old 02-28-2004, 10:03 PM
Veggie Regular

Nope it doesn't. There's no need for him to waste the food he has. I think you should be happy for him instead of mad. He's making a commitment and that's a great thing. I know when I went vegetarian I was too poor to waste food (particularly as a single Mom) I just used up what was left and bought new food.

Seems perfectly sensible to me.

B
#8 Old 02-28-2004, 10:11 PM
Veggie Regular

If some of the meat is unopened he could call a homeless shelter or soup kitchen and see if they could use the meat. That would save them from ordering more meat, and then he could drop the habit straightaway. Eitherway though, that's great that he's considering going veg.
#9 Old 02-28-2004, 11:30 PM
Veggie Regular

I just noticed something that I think is quite amazing. It appears that for the first time I've seen it, at least, you all are in agreement. Now, I think what you're in agreement about brings up some controversial possibilities. I don't want to write about this more here because it could bring up some debate, so I'll write in the Compost Heap. But I'll give a reference to this thread in case any of you want to read it.

Jim
#10 Old 02-28-2004, 11:34 PM
Veggie Regular

Yar, I wouldn't like for the meat to go to waste. I technically went strict veg when I finished off the strawberry cream cheese in the fridge. This was planned. I knew it would go bad otherwise.
#11 Old 02-28-2004, 11:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimdavis View Post

I just noticed something that I think is quite amazing. It appears that for the first time I've seen it, at least, you all are in agreement. Now, I think what you're in agreement about brings up some controversial possibilities. I don't want to write about this more here because it could bring up some debate, so I'll write in the Compost Heap. But I'll give a reference to this thread in case any of you want to read it.

Jim

Are we (Veggieboarders as a whole) being evaluated by the Jim Davis Company or something, some type of project?
#12 Old 02-28-2004, 11:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by raylea View Post

I First I laughed, but then I began to get a little mad. It totally trivializes vegetarianism to stop eating meat only when convienent.

Anyone else with experiences like this?

Why would it make you mad? Why is it any concern of yours when he goes veg?
#13 Old 02-28-2004, 11:51 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artichoke47 View Post

Are we (Veggieboarders as a whole) being evaluated by the Jim Davis Company or something, some type of project?

That's funny. I think I'm just obsessed with food. It's what I philosophize about, it's my craft, I want it to be my occupation, it's the base for my ethical foundations, it's what I love, it's my art. So, just as I might try to find a connection between all people in the Midwest based upon what they eat and the place that they live, I do the same with vegetarians. I happen to be both a vegetarian and someone who lives in the Midwest. So you're not really my project as much as that something important to you (food) is my obsession. Just as some people come to vegetarianism through health concerns, I think I came to vegetarianism through food instead of through love of animals.

Jim
#14 Old 02-28-2004, 11:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimdavis View Post

That's funny.

Jim

I love it when people "get" my sense of humor!
#15 Old 02-29-2004, 08:48 AM
Veggie Regular

I agree with those who suggested giving it away and not wasting it. Or eat it if it doesn't disgust you (them) too much.
#16 Old 02-29-2004, 08:56 AM
Administrator

If the guy eats all of the meat, has a vegetarian lunch the next day, then at dinner decides it's not for him and has a steak... I see that as something.

I feel every little bit helps and that includes any meal, even just one meal, in which the person intentionally decides to not consume meat, dairy, or eggs. To criticize someone for that just seems stupid and counter-productive.

As Tame said, why should it bother you what he does? I say get over it and be supportive. If he doesn't make it then at least he tried. And at least he gave it some thought which is more than most people are willing to do.

VeggieBoards Alumni Facebook Group

If you're an old time VB'er stop by and say hi!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#17 Old 02-29-2004, 09:37 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tame View Post

Why would it make you mad? Why is it any concern of yours when he goes veg?

It just seemed to me as though he was putting conveniency above ethics... This made me a little bit mad for the same reason I get upset about people who call themselves vegetarians but will eat a hamburger if there aren't any veggie burgers around.

Maybe I'm just being overly sensitive. It doesn't really affect me if he eats steak and potatoes or beans and rice.

But you all have really good points. I can understand that one would need to eat food, even if it doesn't meet complete vegetarian standards, if money was tight. It is definitely not good to waste food either. Personally, I would give the food to charity or a non-veg friend, depending on how much disposable income I had and how hungry I was.
#18 Old 02-29-2004, 06:21 PM
Veggie Regular

When I decided to go vegan, before I did, I finished off a bag of cheese and some yogurt. Didn't make sense to throw it away.
#19 Old 02-29-2004, 06:48 PM
Veggie Regular

I see no problem with that. I stayed omni for over a year after deciding I needed to become vegetarian simply because we had so much freaking meat in the freezer. I couldn't afford to throw it out, donate it, or whatever. That is not an ethical issue, it's avoiding waste. Nor is it the same as saying "i'm a vegetarian" while continuing to purchase and consume meat. I never said I was a vegetarian until I actually was (although people thought I was because I didn't usually order meat out) but I certainly reached vegetarianism mentally long before I did in practise. I hated every minute of eating that meat, but did it partly out of economic necessity, and partly out of not wanting to completely waste those poor animals' lives. By the time we got through most of it the thought of consuming a single bite of dead animal made me feel sick to my stomach. I actually "quit" before we got through the stockpile, and told my SO that I couldn't do it anymore. He finished it off, and became vegetarian two months later, much to my surprise and pleasure. Neither of us has looked back since.
#20 Old 03-01-2004, 11:28 PM
Veggie Regular

if the animals are already dead, cut up frozen and paid for sitting in his freezer, he's not harming any more animals by eating what's there, so long as he's not buying more of it. hopefully his experience will be similar to meatless' and he'll be so sick over eating meat by the end of the month that he'll stick with his plan.

personally once i decided to go vegetarian (vegan right away actually) i couldn't stand the idea of eating meat from that moment on. it was like i flipped a switch. i had one omni meal after i made the decision (i decided while waiting for take-out) and though it was my favourite foods it tasted awful and made me sick to my stomach just thinking about it. i still ate it because it was paid for and there was no other food in the house and i was hungry, i wasn't about to waste it all, but i never ate meat again purposely after that

you should support your friend in his decision and sneak him some pro-veg info any chance you get to make sure he doesn't change his mind

I'm singin' here to get rid of fear
Hope it disappears right here with the rain
But I know life is pain, not like a fairytale
Meaningless to pray, so just goin' on my way
~Miyavi "Torture"
#21 Old 03-02-2004, 02:45 AM

Throwing it away would be a waste of death and money. It would be pretty pointless to waste something. I have (dare I say it?) A leather trenchcoat from 4 years ago. But I'm not just going to throw it away, because that would be stupid and wasteful... Though I don't like wearing it any more....
#22 Old 03-02-2004, 06:09 PM
Veggie Regular

I wonder what percentage of meat in stores actually doesn't get sold before the expiration date and gets thrown away. It seems like quite a few animals may be "wasted."
#23 Old 03-02-2004, 07:05 PM
Veggie Regular

Maybe while he's "waiting" for the meat to expire, you can set him up with some good veg*n recipes and cooking tips. That way, it won't be such a shock when he goes meat-free.

March 31st is about a month away. Plenty of time to get him aquanted to a non-meated way of life.
#24 Old 03-02-2004, 11:35 PM

I can kind of relate. I have a lot of household stuff I'm using up before I start buying animal friendly stuff. Like dish liquid, laundry detergent, cleaners and things of that nature.
#25 Old 03-03-2004, 12:38 PM
Veggie Regular

How about people who quit smoking? Is anyone here, who has experiences with this. Smoking until the last cigarette in the pack is gone or throw them away? I think it comes close to Raylea´s story.

If I'm not answering quickly enough - leave a note on Twitter for @Rheumatologe
#26 Old 03-03-2004, 12:44 PM
Veggie Regular

It sort of does... but not really. The meat has to be replaced in your diet if you no longer eat it. So throwing out leftover meat rather than eating it or making use od it somehow is not a "zero sum" action... you have to buy other food to replace it. However, with cigarettes you technically don't have to replace it with another form of nourishment... of course some people will replace it with gum etc. But strictly financially speaking there is a difference. There is also a difference in the waste factor, as animals died to make meat.

However, in terms of continuing to consume bodily pollutants they are a lot closer in similarities.
#27 Old 03-03-2004, 12:57 PM
Veggie Regular

I understand why you got mad but being supportive is probably the best thing you can do. Sometimes people need to set a date to make a big change. Your friend might just need time to mentally commit to the situation.

As for eating the meat or throwing it away: When I became a vegetarian we had just bought 3 cases of steaks and chicken from Angus Beef distributor. I simply walked across the street and gave them to my neighbors. I was ready to give up the meat but I didn't want the guilt of waste.

Interestingly enough, I told my neighbors I was going vegetarian, they were completely siked to get all the free grub but now, over two years later, they are making steps towards a veg lifestyle. So, overall, no harm no fowl (no beef or pork either.)
#28 Old 03-03-2004, 01:03 PM
Veggie Regular

I would have done that in a minute if I wasn't a poor student and unable to afford replacement food.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page