Strict vegetarians are at risk for several deficiencies, True or False idea ? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-30-2011, 11:37 AM

Here a quote from a book. I don't know if this is really true or not, because I am also a vegeterian.

Quote:
Unless they choose a proper balance of foods, strict vegetarians are at risk for several deficiencies, especially vitamin B12. The other nutrients at risk are riboflavin, calcium, iron, and the essential amino acids lysine and methionine. Vegetarian children not exposed to sunlight are at risk for vitamin D deficiency. Zinc deficiency can occur in vegans because the phytic acid in whole grains binds zinc, and there is little zinc in fruits and vegetables. Since B12 is present only in animal foods and a limited number of specially fortified foods, vegans should probably take B12 supplements prescribed by a physician. Further, the symptoms of vegetarianism
may include protein deficiency, amino acid and mineral depletion coupled with chronic low levels of energy.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-30-2011, 12:06 PM
Veggie Regular

Well, I'm not sure I can read that, can you make the font size any larger?

What book?

The biggest concern is B12, but the others, it's a concern for everyone. I have a feeling that whoever wrote it is confused a little, "symptoms of vegetarianism
may include protein deficiency, amino acid and..." Amino acids are protein. Although the rest sounds like stereotyping, low levels of energy...

Interesting second post.

I believe everything.
#3 Old 05-30-2011, 12:13 PM
Rat Queen/Mouse Matriarch

My mother eats meat and has severe iron deficiency. I have to constantly remind her to eat the right foods and take her iron pills. Deficiencies are a worry for everyone, not only veg*ns.

I've been veg*n for about a decade (several years vegetarian, a couple vegan) and haven't been deficient in anything but vitamin D, which is primarily obtained from sunlight. (Now I supplement and my D levels are better.) Try to eat right, supplement if necessary and most people will be just fine.

I can't abandon the person I used to be, so I carry her.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-30-2011, 12:16 PM
Veggie Regular

Everyone is at risk for several deficiencies.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

#5 Old 05-30-2011, 12:26 PM
Veggie Regular

Personally I think the whole thing doesn't make much sense.

Quote:
Unless they choose a proper balance of foods, strict vegetarians are at risk for several deficiencies, especially vitamin B12.

is true if you take the word strict vegetarians out, anyone who doesn't eat a proper balance of foods is at risk of deficencies! Furthermore "symptoms of vegetarianism" makes it sound like vegetarianism is an illness! The whole thing just comes across as a shambles, where on earth is it from?

I think what this article or whatever has done is confused the fact that strict vegetarians should either supplement or eat fortified foods, with the misconceptions about the vegan diet that just aren't true (such as that it can lead to protein deficency... it's very hard not to get adequete protein in your diet if you're eating enough food!) and has written the article as if it is telling you some factual truths about the "risks" of a vegan diet... but actually it's told of nothing at all, just that if you don't eat a healthy diet, you wont be healthy!
#6 Old 05-30-2011, 12:32 PM
Veggie Regular

Also, the OP might be at a slight risk of being banned.

edit: the other post looks normal though, so maybe not.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

#7 Old 05-30-2011, 12:46 PM
Veggie Regular

Everyone is at risk of having nutritional deficiencies if they don't eat "a proper balance of foods".

Vegans (aka strict vegetarians), in general, are more at risk for a few particular nutritional deficiencies, depending on how they eat. One thing that is true for all vegans is they need to find a reliable source of vitamin B12 since that's not available in any non-fortified/non-supplemented vegan diet.

Generally speaking, vegans and vegetarians should pay a little extra attention to make sure they get things like calcium protein, iron, omega 3s, and of course B12. That's not usually a problem for someone who eats plenty of a wide variety of plant foods (both cooked and raw, some fortified, and definately some legumes).

And generally speaking, non-veg folks should pay a little extra attention to ensure they get enough fiber, beta-carotene, vitamin C, and not too much cholesterol. That's often a problem for anyone eating the Standard American Diet (most Americans don't eat enough fruits and veggies), but it's not a problem for anyone who eats "mostly plants."

And everyone needs to find a good source of vitamin D. Luckily, it's been added to most milks, dairy and non, so anyone who regularly consumes fortified milks (cow's milk, soy milk, almond milk) should be OK on that front.
#8 Old 05-30-2011, 02:47 PM
Ex-*****

First of all, welcome to VB to Bilbi!

Just wanted to add, in case our new friend Bilbi here is not aware, that the B12 supplements eaten by vegans and strict vegetarians are also vegan. Thanks to science we can eat a diet completely without any animal foods, which I believe is the more compassionate choice.

I no longer post here after VB was sold in 2012. (See my profile page for details.)
#9 Old 05-30-2011, 02:56 PM
Super Moderator

Amazing that vegans get so much concern over their diet, yet people with high cholestrol, blood pressure, sugar, and other problems caused primarily by diet get mostly pills.

I was iron deficient-since changing to a vegan diet its normal.
Just being vegan and immersed in the information surrounding it should raise your awareness of nutrition. I've probably always needed to supplement vit. d for instince, but only after going veg took notice.
Reading labels can help influence a lot of change!

Please tell us what book that's from. Is that an actual quote?

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#10 Old 05-30-2011, 03:01 PM
Veggie Regular

I googled that quote and found it on this website:
http://www.islamtheabsolutetruth.com/eating.html
#11 Old 05-30-2011, 03:03 PM
Veggie Regular

I guess 'the absolute truth' can be misinformed, then. Not surprising when you consider there have been more scientific journals and books translated into Spanish in the last year than into Arabic in the last 700.

Tam! RUGH!
#12 Old 05-30-2011, 03:16 PM
Banned

If you read books about veganism you'll learn right away that balance is always important, and that everyone has the probability to become susceptible to deficiencies.
#13 Old 05-30-2011, 03:21 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiKat View Post

Well it's good to know there is someone out there who is an authority on absolute truth.

www.thesaucyvegan.com
#14 Old 05-30-2011, 04:05 PM
Rat Queen/Mouse Matriarch

Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post

Amazing that vegans get so much concern over their diet, yet people with high cholestrol, blood pressure, sugar, and other problems caused primarily by diet get mostly pills.

So true!

I can't abandon the person I used to be, so I carry her.
#15 Old 05-30-2011, 04:16 PM
Veggie Regular

It's vague, but could be true, especially for people who don't take a sublingual B12 and those that are on calorie-restricted or processed-food diets and don't eat enough fruits/vegetables.
#16 Old 05-31-2011, 03:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiKat View Post

I think the original is from an article here : http://www.quackwatch.com/03HealthPr...egetarian.html

Quote:
Vegetarianism: Healthful but Unnecessary
Susan Dingott, M.S., R.D.
Johanna Dwyer, Sc.D., R.D.

#17 Old 05-31-2011, 03:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian Summer View Post

First of all, welcome to VB to Bilbi!

Thank you very much for your welcome.
#18 Old 05-31-2011, 03:48 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Vegetarian children not exposed to sunlight are at risk for vitamin D deficiency.

That sounds like us vegetarians keep our kids in a cupboard somewhere.

▬|████|▬
This is a Nudelholz!
Take it und hau it on
the Kopp of a bekloppt Person
to give a better Gefühl!!
#19 Old 05-31-2011, 04:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjesta View Post

lol
#20 Old 06-02-2011, 03:08 PM
Veggie Regular

I had a b12, D, and iron deficiency when I was omni. Now I just have b12, which I supplement for.
#21 Old 06-02-2011, 03:11 PM
Veggie Regular

Balance is important in any kind of diet. I would suspect that many omnis are deficient in lots of things as well. When omnis say things like this to me, I alway chuckle because I eat a far more balanced diet with iron, calcium, protein, fruit, veggies, grains, etc... than anyone who has ever asked me has. A life of convenience foods, fast food, and fried junk makes for plenty of problems.
#22 Old 06-02-2011, 03:28 PM
Veggie Regular

I like how the article says "...symptoms of vegetarianism" as if you have to keep and eye on people to ensure they haven't taken on this radical and dangerous lifestyle And alot of people seem to have larger amounts of energy. My favourite part was the amount of sleep. Cut back from about 10 hours a night(and sometimes a nap over the day) to 6 or 7 hours a night
#23 Old 06-02-2011, 03:58 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbi View Post

Here a quote from a book. I don't know if this is really true or not, because I am also a vegeterian.

Those 'facts' are true for everyone, not just veg*ns. There are plenty, and I mean PLENTY of meat eating children and adults in the world who are not getting enough B12, riboflavin, calcium, iron, methionine vitamin D, and zinc. In fact, take a look at normals children's cereal and look at what its fortified with...what? You thought those vitamins came from steak&eggs? In fact, very meat-eater I know has that 'crack' down the middle of the tongue which signals a zinc deficiency. And, the only two ways you are going to suffer from a true protein deficiency is if you have a metabolic disorder (in which case all the meat in the world won't help), or you are actually starving to death.

Bilbi, I was so afraid of eating properly when I went vegan. I highly recommend reading "Becoming Vegetarian" or "Becoming Vegan" 85% of the nutritional information in both of those books are not unique to veg*ns, but are things everyone should know. Roughly 15% of the info was 'special' information that I as a new vegan needed to know. The rest really should have been covered in school health classes. http://www.amazon.com/New-Becoming-V...7055267&sr=8-1

Give thanks to Mother Earth for Her greatest gift...

...gravity.

For without it, we would be lost.
#24 Old 06-02-2011, 09:07 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiling View Post

I had a D, and iron deficiency when I was omni.

Same as above when omni, not now that I am vegan .... and vegan for about a decade now and also through a pregnancy, and competitive bodybuilding.
#25 Old 06-04-2011, 01:48 PM
Veggie Regular

Ya like others have said anyone can, and i honestly think meat eaters are more likely to, because generally veg*ns pay more attention to their diet, so i think they are less likely to. Even if i do eat enough to not have a deficiency i still take a multi vitamin, calcium supplement with vitamin d, and b-12 supplement, i need the vitamin d for sure because i get virtually no sunlight ever.
#26 Old 06-05-2011, 05:24 AM

It's always amusing when a fat, out of shape person tries to tell me about my "unhealthy dietary choices"... Yeah, I may have to supplement, but I eat a far more balanced diet than you!
#27 Old 06-05-2011, 05:34 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storer View Post

It's always amusing when a fat, out of shape person tries to tell me about my "unhealthy dietary choices"... Yeah, I may have to supplement, but I eat a far more balanced diet than you!

As he's struggling to breath inbetween mouthfuls of hamburger... One of the reasons I don't eat with omnis anymore I don't need to watch you almost choke to death because you can't get the burger into your mouth fast enough. The pigs on the farm sanctuary eat better than they do.
#28 Old 06-05-2011, 06:35 AM
Veggie Regular

I don't see anything wrong about that statement in the OP. As I understand it, vegans are technically more at risk of some deficiencies like B12, zinc and vit d.

but even though those things are more available in an omni diet, omni's with a poor diet also seem to be at risk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjesta View Post

In colder countries it sounds a bit suggestive of that but it's a very applicable statement for australian children (and adults) who are often wearing total sunblock because of the risk of developing melanoma later in life.
#29 Old 06-05-2011, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back-Space View Post

As he's struggling to breath inbetween mouthfuls of hamburger... One of the reasons I don't eat with omnis anymore I don't need to watch you almost choke to death because you can't get the burger into your mouth fast enough. The pigs on the farm sanctuary eat better than they do.

Nothing worse than someone who can barely breathe whilst trying to eat. It's a burger, not a marathon!
#30 Old 06-05-2011, 02:07 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storer View Post

Nothing worse than someone who can barely breathe whilst trying to eat. It's a burger, not a marathon!

Lol. There was a guy I used to work with at Nestle. We used to have burger and sausage days where they'd cook us food(everyone but me...), and the one guy... I'd guess he'd be nearing 400 pounds, sweating his *** off in an air conditioned cafeteria, and panting inbetween mouthfuls of meat. There's a problem when the energy it takes to eat almost gives you a heart attack.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page