What's your best (short) answer to "why are you a vegetarian"? - Page 4 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 32Likes

#91 Old 07-21-2011, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semicharmed View Post

I tend to say something different every time I'm asked... Sometimes I'm serious, sometimes I'm not. Depends who I'm talking to. *shrug*

A few things that have come out of my mouth...

Why am I vegan? Well, BECAUSE:

"Being hungry isn't an excuse to kill or torture an animal."

"I HATE vegetables. I want them all dead. If I took even one bite of meat, that would mean a carrot is free to live another day. I won't stand for that."

"Slicing a kitten's throat to eat it would be really unnecessary and douchey, right? Well, I happen to think it's just as unnecessary and douchey to do to a chicken or a cow."

"My other option is to eat decaying flesh and drink breast milk from cows."

"I lost a bet."

"I can read and comprehend basic math."

"I am quite fond of a number of children on this planet, so I figured I might as well stop destroying it with my lunch."

"I'm awesome."

Love this.
Purp likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#92 Old 07-21-2011, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katiebird View Post

Because the sensation of chewing on flesh has always grossed me out. Meat is after all a carcass.

Yes!
#93 Old 07-21-2011, 02:21 PM
Veggie Regular

I usually say that "Because I come from a family with a long history of heart disease." Which is the truth.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#94 Old 07-21-2011, 03:03 PM

Moral reasons

Here's 7 words, live by them, Stop being an idiot and shut up
#95 Old 07-21-2011, 06:16 PM
Beginner

I always just tell people it's for health reasons. Which is true, but I believe my moral reasons were a much stronger influence.
#96 Old 07-21-2011, 07:11 PM
Banned

"I'm not actualy a vegan. I'm a cannibal on a hunger strike"
Purp likes this.
#97 Old 07-21-2011, 07:27 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clueless Git View Post

"I'm not actualy a vegan. I'm a cannibal on a hunger strike"

Ha ha! ^^

I usually find that people who ask me this are intending on debating the issue, which I am not interested in. Its cool that you do what you do- I'm just trucking along doing what I do.
So my reply is usually something to quell their rising fire. If I want to get political and all guns blazing, I will, but to answer a question like that at a formal gathering or peaceful place, I just say, "I don't like it very much"
Purp likes this.

Even if you fall on your face, you're still moving forward.
#98 Old 07-22-2011, 05:23 PM
Veggie Regular

I say that I have seen how meat took a toll on my health and I seen how bad factory farming is. So I am doing it for my health and to not support factory farming.
#99 Old 07-25-2011, 09:53 AM

industrial animal farming.

Alfred Wallace...the story of my life.
#100 Old 07-25-2011, 12:45 PM

I usually just tell people I feel better when I don't eat meat. If they want to know more, I'll answer any questions they have as long as they're respectful of my decision. I initially went vegetarian mostly for health reasons, but I've started looking at the world differently so moral reasons are playing a bigger role.

Becca

#101 Old 07-25-2011, 02:20 PM
Banned

I really don't get why people ask this. I don't think many of them are actually interested. With me most people assume I'm doing it for moral reasons because I like animals, and when one or two people have asked me it's in a disgusted way, and it's more phrased like, "Why would you be vegan? I could never give up meat"
#102 Old 05-25-2015, 01:05 AM

Is it me or does anyone else resent the question, I've been a vegetarian for 34 years since I was 16 and practically every idiot that discovers it
( usually when ordering a meal ) feels they have the right to ask. I'm a private person, I consider this a personal choice that is frankly nobody else's business. One answer I gave recently when someone asked why I stopped eating meat at age 16 is " well I thought to myself I've never been attacked or killed by an animal, maybe it's time to call off the preemptive strikes. The fact is that killing animals for food is indefensible and especially so using modern farming methods, people don't want to hear this and they certainly don't want to hear that most of the meat in UK supermarkets is halal.

I did consider downloading films to my phone showing how different animals are killed and when someone asks I show the film saying this is how your dinner died, was it worth it?. The animal is screaming in terror because it knows it is going to die, it is crapping itself with fear and as it hangs upside down it's life blood draining from it's body it perhaps has time to think "what did I do to deserve this"

It's interesting that we now know that eating meat isn't even healthy, I mean more than once a week is really bad for you. My favourite is when people defensively say " we don't eat much meat, so is that like a serial killer that doesn't kill very often, long story short if you believe that an animal can know fear and feel pain then why are you making it suffer for a taste sensation.

Rant over, some bloody silly woman asked me last week and I felt the need to vent.
varun likes this.
#103 Old 05-25-2015, 01:30 AM
Lifelong vegetarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Kipling View Post
" we don't eat much meat, so is that like a serial killer that doesn't kill very often
Nice answer.
Purp and varun like this.

My usual answer: I have never heard a convincing reason to eat meat.
#104 Old 05-25-2015, 03:16 AM
Veggie Regular

One needs to be a little sarcastic while tackling carnivores who want to defeat us using their so called "meat eating is normal" logic ;-) Let me quote by example when I was having lunch with a work-mate, mind you I was keeping as straight a face as possible all the time.

Him : I need my energy you know, meat gives me that.. vegetables are only like a side dish, how can it be a meal?

Me: I just eat to live I guess.. so anything goes.

Him : What about proteins & fats? You need them to live healthy as well and they are only in non-vegetarian diet.

Me : True but I manage to get some from milk and cooking oils. Though I feel lucky that my diet doesn't have very high levels of saturated fats.. they go directly into ones body and form bad cholesterol which then accumulates within the arteries. The arteries then try to expand to prevent clogging which makes the heart work much harder.

Him : *Staring at the menu*

Me : Weight gain due to high intake of saturated fats also put added strain on the heart as it has to pump more blood and use more oxygen per activity than a body with average weight. Over 2-3 decades who knows the plaque within arteries might choke the blood flow and suddenly a rupture might happen leading to heart strokes. Its become very common in our country nowadays. Gotta be careful y'know.

Him : Hmmm

*Lunch arrives and I ate in peace & quiet*
@rno and mecanna like this.

The earth has enough resources for everyones need but not their greed.

Last edited by varun; 05-25-2015 at 03:21 AM.
#105 Old 05-25-2015, 06:32 AM
Veggie Regular

"I believe in the golden rule 'Do unto others as you would have done unto you'...I never heard of a footnote or fine print that said 'applies to one's own species only."
Purp, varun and no whey jose like this.
#106 Old 05-25-2015, 10:31 AM

Varun - that would completely mess with the other person's head, took me 10 mins to get it, like the idea that they are being ridiculed but wouldn't know it, would shut them up double quick.

Thanks Guys, my girlfriend’s taking me on a 14 night cruise next month and I want to be prepared for the inevitable onslaught of mindless questions at dinner. I’m thinking of turning it around and saying “ what you really mean is why don’t you enjoy killing animals, I mean what the hell is wrong with you, who wouldn’t want to inflict needless pain and suffering on a helpless animal, jeez you’re probably a fag aintcha!”

Or if asked by a generously proportioned middle aged woman ( they’re everywhere ) because I don’t want to walk around with 30 Lbs of undigested red meat in my gut like you. Mmm this is getting to me, I feel I have to apologise for not being a murderer, here’s an idea “ I promised my parole officer I wouldn’t kill anything this month”

I simply resent the idea that people think it’s OK to ask a personal question to a stranger just because they hold a different view on murdering animals. If the waiter asks me “how do you like your steak Sir” I’m gonna say – resurrected!
varun likes this.
#107 Old 05-25-2015, 10:37 AM
Banned

ask them what reason they wont eat humans.
because there my friends and family.
#108 Old 05-25-2015, 12:05 PM

My short answer: "Because it's feels right to me."

My slightly longer answer: "I am an obsessive researcher and once I had learned about the realities of animal factory farming I could no longer, in good conscience, consume animal products."

My slightly longer and snarkier answer: "Because modern industrial animal farming is a moral, ethical and ecological sh*tstorm and I refuse to participate."

My extremely snarky answer: "If it's not okay to rape an animal because I'm horny then how can it possibly be okay to murder an animal because I'm hungry?"
mecanna, no whey jose and seanE like this.
#109 Old 05-25-2015, 01:43 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
My extremely snarky answer: "If it's not okay to rape an animal because I'm horny then how can it possibly be okay to murder an animal because I'm hungry?"
What an excellent way to put it! I'll be using this one.
#110 Old 05-25-2015, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no whey jose View Post
Warning - people get pissed off!

Reactions I have had to this statement:

Them: "That's disgusting! What is wrong with you?"
Me: "Nothing is wrong with me, I'm doing neither of those things. I have found ethical ways to satisfy all of my bodily appetites."

Them: "Those aren't the same thing at all!"
Me: "You are absolutely right. Murder is worse." (Not to downplay the impact of sexual assault at all!)

Etc etc...
no whey jose likes this.
#111 Old 05-25-2015, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no whey jose View Post
When I am speaking to children I say "It's not okay for anyone to punch an animal because they are mad, our family also believes it's not okay to eat an animal just because you're hungry. There are many other delicious foods we can eat instead." Same analogy, more age appropriate delivery.
azerea_02 and no whey jose like this.
#112 Old 05-25-2015, 03:42 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppi View Post
Warning - people get pissed off!

Reactions I have had to this statement:

Them: "That's disgusting! What is wrong with you?"
Me: "Nothing is wrong with me, I'm doing neither of those things. I have found ethical ways to satisfy all of my bodily appetites."

Them: "Those aren't the same thing at all!"
Me: "You are absolutely right. Murder is worse." (Not to downplay the impact of sexual assault at all!)

Etc etc...
People react strongly to harsh truths, I guess.
Poppi likes this.
#113 Old 05-25-2015, 05:22 PM
cinnamon bun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamandura View Post
Most often when I think someone isnt being sincere about the question I respond,"because not being vegetarian/vegan doesnt make sense to me" and leave it at that. It's not a complete response but I'll usually find out if they are really interested if they ask me more about it. I try to stay away from topic in large public/family events because I feel it's better as a personal conversation with fewer people.
that's a good answer.. I get that from ppl too and I didn't know what to say
#114 Old 05-25-2015, 05:29 PM
cinnamon bun

Quote:
Originally Posted by River View Post
Quote:Originally Posted by imdead-goaway

I used to say "for the animals", now I say "Because the way we produce meat is ecologically unsustainable."

While I really became a vegetarian for the former, I feel the latter is a bit more firm, and it gives me something objective to talk about.

I agree. Something can be based even more firmly on scary facts, because for some reason "they feel pain too" doesn't connect as much as "We're all going to die"
sucks that some people only care if they themselves are directly involved and animals are not enough.. :/

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#115 Old 05-25-2015, 05:34 PM
Banned

"Well having murdered a few people the state wouldn't let me out of hospital until I could prove that I had recovered and for a long time their medications done nothing, if anything I got worse, then while eating a magazine in the common room I seen an article about vegan diets for mental illness, I tried it and here I am just 3 months later,.....come to think of it I feel like a hot-dog"

The above answer should only be used with a poker face and when you have absolutely no way of getting through to the snide person you are talking to.
#116 Old 05-25-2015, 05:36 PM
cinnamon bun

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney.jessica View Post
I really don't get why people ask this. I don't think many of them are actually interested. With me most people assume I'm doing it for moral reasons because I like animals, and when one or two people have asked me it's in a disgusted way, and it's more phrased like, "Why would you be vegan? I could never give up meat"
I wish being veg*n wasn't such a bad thing in other ppl's eyes... like, why would they be disgusted anyways?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#117 Old 05-25-2015, 05:45 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by meg moo View Post
I wish being veg*n wasn't such a bad thing in other ppl's eyes... like, why would they be disgusted anyways?
Because "vegan/vegetarian food can't taste good". Stupid, even because they probably have accidentally vegetarian/vegan food every week, but it is probably what those people are thinking.

"We have enslaved the rest of the animal creation, and have treated our distant cousins in fur and feathers so badly that beyond doubt, if they were able to formulate a religion, they would depict the Devil in human form." - William Ralphe Inge

#118 Old 05-25-2015, 07:52 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by azerea_02 View Post
"I believe in the golden rule 'Do unto others as you would have done unto you'...I never heard of a footnote or fine print that said 'applies to one's own species only."
Oh trust me, I bet those people will quote the book again on you as a reply - "Why do you look at the speck that is in your brother's eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own eye?". Makes zero sense if they say it but wont stop them anyway. I saw the exact conversation in a website somewhere.

The earth has enough resources for everyones need but not their greed.

#119 Old 05-25-2015, 08:02 PM
Beginner

I usually say something along the line of "Morally I cannot allow myself to participate in an industry that is cruel to ourt fellow earthlings".

BUT if I know the person asking is closed minded or will simply fight for the shake of proving their choices as superior I usually say "It makes me happy to be kind to animals, and being happy is key to life."

I like to have a conversation about veganism and vegetarianism with anyone I can, but sometimes I know that it is impossible to have an intelligent conversation so I just don't give them anything to pick on.

When someone is intelligent and worthy of a true conversation I give them the chance to question more if they want. If not that's okay to.

LeThieu92
Amour sans question, amour simple, amour pour le coeur

#120 Old 05-27-2015, 12:42 PM
Veggie Regular

Lately I answered someone by saying "Okay, I do have some animal welfare concerns and some for the environment, but mostly I'm trying to stay off Lipitor. Statins make my sisters stupid and my brothers irritable, and one doesn't rule out the other."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page