would you eat at a restaurant that serves foie gras? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-24-2011, 07:56 AM
Veggie Regular

So I've been invited to dinner at a restaurant in NYC that lists foie gras on their menu in four different dishes. I'm hesitant to eat there due to the severe abuse these poor birds go through, but if I were to avoid a restaurant because of abuse then wouldn't I have to avoid any restaurant that serves meat? (which is basically every restaurant in existence)

www.sharksavers.org
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-24-2011, 08:22 AM

Nope.

There are some issues of cruelty that should be patently obvious to even omnivores....veal crates, force feeding ducks, etc. I know it's sort of splitting hairs to me, but it wouldn't eat there, or someplace that serves veal, or someplace where you choose your lobster from the tank.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#3 Old 05-24-2011, 09:10 AM
Veggie Regular

Yes. To me, this is no different than shopping at the grocery store, or eating at any other omni restaurant. As long as I'm not ordering it, I don't see the issue.

Even my omni husband avoids foie gras and veal, but that doesn't mean we wouldn't eat anywhere that served them to others.

ETA: This is of course assuming said restaurant could provide me with a vegan meal... which I'd be seriously wondering about at a place with foie gras in four dishes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-24-2011, 09:36 AM
Lifelong vegetarian

Next restaurant.

My usual answer: I have never heard a convincing reason to eat meat.
#5 Old 05-24-2011, 09:43 AM
Veggie Regular

Ahh how come I agree with both Iamjen and ashlend?

On one hand, most omnis even think foie gras is wrong, and for me it's kind of like fur... something that is socially accepted to be cruel and unfair, so by people wearing/eating it they're making a statement, and they know it. That said, I try to avoid getting over excited and avoiding every single place that sells unethical products, or is affiliated with, owned by, or the owner might once have said hello to an owner of, another company that does unethical things. I think that buying ethical products from unethical companies creates a demand for ethical products which is a good thing.

So I think I wouldn't have an ethical problem with eating there, and if a group of friends or family were going I'd go and eat a vegan meal - but I don't think I'd choose to go on my own, because it really does leave a bad taste in my mouth, but that's less of an ethical thing and more of an emotional thing.
#6 Old 05-24-2011, 09:45 AM
Veggie Regular

I wouldn't choose to eat somewhere that served foie gras, but if I was invited there by someone, and I was fairly sure that they wouldn't be ordering it themselves, I would probably go. I'd like to be able to turn down unethical invitations every time I get them, but having previously done so on occasions, I've found that the tension that it sometimes causes in relationships with family, friends and work colleagues is not worth it.

m8itcanw8.com
#7 Old 05-24-2011, 10:25 AM
Veggie Regular

Maybe.

I don't think that foie gras necessarily is worse than other forms of meat.

"Hell exists not to punish sinners, but to ensure that nobody sins in the first place."
#8 Old 05-24-2011, 10:29 AM
Veggie Regular

Eat there and tell the people you are with about foie gras and why they shouldn't order it.

“May all sentient beings be free of pain and suffering.  May all sentient beings experience eternal joy and happiness.  gate gate pāragate pārasaṃgate bodhi svāhā.”
http://www.facebook.com/doktormartini
http://twitter.com/#!/MartyBaureis
http://doktormartini.tumblr.com

#9 Old 05-24-2011, 10:54 AM
Beginner

I wouldn't have a problem going there as long as there is something for me to eat. To me, there isn't much difference between foie gras and other types of meat.
#10 Old 05-24-2011, 08:20 PM
Veggie Regular

Thanks for the responses, I think I am going to go and hopefully there is something for me to eat there other than a salad.

www.sharksavers.org
#11 Old 05-25-2011, 03:30 AM
Veggie Regular

I would eat at a restaurant that served aborted fetus if they had vegan options. We must choose our battles. It's entirely possible to make ideological head ways using consumerist tactics. More vegan meals available in the world means more options that don't directly promote cruelty. The more readily available these option are, the faster and the more animals can be spared some suffering. That's not a popular method of approaching animal liberation. Many consider it a dead end path, but I think it's a back door that leads to somewhere useful.

Tam! RUGH!
#12 Old 05-25-2011, 04:27 AM
Veggie Regular

I've never eaten at a restaurant that served foie gras because I've never been to one. Isn't it only served at expensive restaurants? I have however eaten at many places that serve veal. It's extremely common here for most restaurants and pizza chains to have veal dishes.
#13 Old 05-25-2011, 10:06 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh James xVx View Post

I would eat at a restaurant that served aborted fetus if they had vegan options.

m8itcanw8.com
#14 Old 05-25-2011, 10:43 AM
Veggie Regular

I probably wouldn't.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

#15 Old 05-25-2011, 11:50 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamJen View Post

Nope.

There are some issues of cruelty that should be patently obvious to even omnivores....veal crates, force feeding ducks, etc. I know it's sort of splitting hairs to me, but it wouldn't eat there, or someplace that serves veal, or someplace where you choose your lobster from the tank.

I agree.

I have protested many places that sell foie gras, and I wish ethical vegans wouldn't support these places. Foie gras necessitates extreme animal abuse.

"If you want to know where you would have stood on slavery before the civil war, don't look at where you stand on slavery today, look at where you stand on animal rights." - Paul Watson.

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

#16 Old 05-25-2011, 04:33 PM
Veggie Regular

I would go out of my way to avoid the place. I do think foie gras production is definitely more cruel than most other meat production processes.

Yet it would depend on the circumstances. If it was an important dinner and it would mean a lot to the hosts that I attend, then I'd probably reluctantly attend. If it was a casual dinner and it didn't matter if I attended, then I definitely wouldn't.
#17 Old 05-25-2011, 05:11 PM
Super Moderator

I do feel theres a difference in how animals used for food are treated. I can understand people who feel it's okay to eat animals, but that their lives should be respected. It IS a disconnect, but with society as it is now, it's one I can understand, and appreciate much more than those who simply don't care at all. Foie gras is TORTURE during the gooses life. Veal crate are torture.
People need to start somewhere with humane feelings, and if it only means caring about how animals are treated while they're alive, that's a good beginning. When I petitioned for humane farming, most of the people doing it did eat meat, but would never accept factory farmed, and never anything like foie gras, or veal.
So no, I would not patronize a restaurant that served that.

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#18 Old 05-25-2011, 05:48 PM
Herbivorous Urchin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoe74 View Post

So I've been invited to dinner at a restaurant in NYC that lists foie gras on their menu in four different dishes. I'm hesitant to eat there due to the severe abuse these poor birds go through, but if I were to avoid a restaurant because of abuse then wouldn't I have to avoid any restaurant that serves meat? (which is basically every restaurant in existence)

Yes!
And then pass this out with the tip: http://order.cok.net/restaurant_cards/

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
#19 Old 05-25-2011, 06:26 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibliophile View Post

I wouldn't have a problem going there as long as there is something for me to eat. To me, there isn't much difference between foie gras and other types of meat.

Also, I don't think you put a degree on suffering of factory farming. I don't know how you can possibly truly know if a veal calf or goose suffers more than a layer hen.

"My body will not be a tomb for other creatures."
 Leonardo da Vinci
#20 Old 05-25-2011, 07:06 PM
Ankle Biter

I don't think I'd be allowed in the one restaurant I know serves Foie Gras. I've protested in front of that restaurant too many times!

I'm the short one.

Attachment 15513
LL

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
#21 Old 05-27-2011, 01:05 PM

I've decided a long time ago that I would not be going to a place that serves foie gras. Yuck!
#22 Old 05-27-2011, 01:22 PM
Veggie Regular

Thankfully, I've never had to face this issue because the people in my area are to poor to eat foie gras.

slops, gloops, and gruels.
#23 Old 05-27-2011, 02:41 PM

living in Paris, France I can tell you that more than half the restaurants serve foie gras. My own uncle used to make his own foie gras.
It's crazy. So, when I'm not going out with veggie friends, I just make sure the restaurant we're going to has a veggie dish and that's it, I can't be too picky.

My parents love foie gras as you can imagine. I respect their choice and I must say I don't try to make them feel guilty but I don't hesitate to talk about what I eat and I make them discover new foods (like seitan) and express my point of view. As a result my mother is eating less and less meat which I'm very happy about. (she called me the other day to tell me she had booked our plane tickets for NY next summer and then she said "as we'll be eating in the plane, I picked a vegetarian tray for you and one for me!". Ok I'm pretty sure it will not be delicious but I'm so happy she picked the vegetarian one for her as well!).

Vegetarian since June 15th 2008!
#24 Old 05-27-2011, 03:29 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoe74 View Post

I probably would still go and hope that noone that I'm going with orders it. Most people I know think foie gras is pretty harsh so I don't think any of them would order it. I try and pick my battles. As long as there is food for me to eat I'll be fine.
#25 Old 05-27-2011, 06:26 PM
Veggie Regular

I would probably eat there, but it certainly wouldn't be my top choice if I had any say about where to go. Lots of restaurants around here serve veal. There are certain types of meat that seem "worse" than others, but all meat certainly means death for an animal. I think the "seeming worse" part is more of a "yuck" factor for me than a real ethical difference.

One problem is that people actually order these things - if no one ordered them, they wouldn't be on the menu.
#26 Old 05-27-2011, 06:36 PM
Herbivorous Urchin

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunnerVeggie View Post

I would probably eat there, but it certainly wouldn't be my top choice if I had any say about where to go. Lots of restaurants around here serve veal. There are certain types of meat that seem "worse" than others, but all meat certainly means death for an animal. I think the "seeming worse" part is more of a "yuck" factor for me than a real ethical difference.

One problem is that people actually order these things - if no one ordered them, they wouldn't be on the menu.

I was really surprised when I saw my local grocery store, Haggen Foods, sells veal. The store I usual shop is a Food Co-op, and I don't go into the dead animal section anyway, but Haggen's puts the veal right next to the Boca stuff. O.O

(that was referring to you saying lots of places in your area serve it, i was just remarked that I'd never even seen it until recently)

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
#27 Old 05-27-2011, 07:01 PM
Veggie Regular

no it was oulawed in part of our area for a bit and then overturned....stinks....nope wouldnt eat there....

peace

LOud & PRoud Veggie-Tari-Jenn~~(KNOT)~~ Vegan and NEVER Will Be.
Be Cents-able...Use Coupons!!~~PEace, LOVe & Beautiful COLORFUL RAinbows!!
#28 Old 05-28-2011, 10:56 AM
Super Moderator

I can't see how fois gras and veal are the same as any other meat. Our society accepts meat- that's a given, but people are becoming more aware of the differences in how animals for meat are treated, and do differenciate. Many who eat meat protest animal abuse.
I know many parents who approve in spanking their children as punishment- I disagree, but don't argue unless it's brought up. Parents that punch, slap or otherwise abuse their child, I would report to authorities.

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#29 Old 05-29-2011, 10:02 PM
Veggie Regular

no cause when it was passed not to be made or sold in restaurants here they were doing it anyways and thats just wrong.....so nope never.

Ride Free!!

Peace, LOve and Magic

LOud & PRoud Veggie-Tari-Jenn~~(KNOT)~~ Vegan and NEVER Will Be.
Be Cents-able...Use Coupons!!~~PEace, LOVe & Beautiful COLORFUL RAinbows!!
#30 Old 05-30-2011, 11:02 AM

Sure, I'd go there (and have) but I wouldn't order it. Even when I was a meat-eater I shunned offal of any kind.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page